Star Wars Trilogy coming to DVD

diskobolus

I don't think they hurt the films too much, but they were certainly worth it just for the restoration, which is amazing. I can't stand watching the original versions I taped off the sci fi channel, now that I have the crisp, fantastic looking SE's. Let's just get a fully restored version of the orignals.

The SE video transfers are not as good as the 1993 video transfers.

Neil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All scenes featuring Vader in the OT will be digitally altered so that Vader's costume and mask matches the new look he is given in Episode 3.

K.M.

Are you joking, KM? So, we might not even recognize him if Vader appears in Episode III. "Who is this black dressed man? Is it Grievous? Why are they playing The Imperial March?"

I don't think they hurt the films too much, but they were certainly worth it just for the restoration, which is amazing. I can't stand watching the original versions I taped off the sci fi channel, now that I have the crisp, fantastic looking SE's. Let's just get a fully restored version of the orignals.

The SE video transfers are not as good as the 1993 video transfers.

Neil

REALLY??

How the hell with superior technology and a cleaned up negative did they manage to create a transfer which was worse?

Then again this is Lucasfilm so I believe you.

REALLY??

How the hell with superior technology and a cleaned up negative did they manage to create a transfer which was worse?  

The color is better on the older transfers. They look much more accurate. The SE's all have a bluish tint to them which should not be there. Just another reason to not watch them.

Neil

Well, in the documentry on the SE's I remember, the original negatives were in a poor condition and had very very dulled colours and a strong bluish tint, they did do a very good job of clearing it up... with what they had to work with.

he 1993 video looks pretty good to me.

Judging video quality from VHS? And you think it's bad to judge sound quality from mp3, hahaha!

They only look blue in selected scenes.

Don't forget the blue snow throughout the Hoth sequence. The 1993 transfer has much more accurate whites and grays.

Neil

I remember, the original negatives were in a poor condition and had very very dulled colours and a strong bluish tint, they did do a very good job of clearing it up... with what they had to work with.

I can't believe Lucasfilm would let the SW trilogy, their eternal cash cow desintigrate like that.

REALLY??

The color is better on the older transfers. They look much more accurate. The SE's all have a bluish tint to them which should not be there. Just another reason to not watch them.

Neil

I wonder if this might be in some way related to the added CG effects and other enhancements.

I have the SE's and I noticed the effect you are describing tends to be at its worst during the added CG sequences.

Which really stick out in the movies like sore thumbs IMO. I mean some of it was nice, but alot of it DID NOT integrate well.

BTW I dunno if anyone has heard this but these DVDs have apparently ALREADY become the highest selling DVDs of ALL TIME ALREADY!

Internet orders for these things are friggin insane.

Its too bad more people are not standing up and trying to coax Lucas into giving us the theatrical versions by not buying these, but I guess that was merely wishful thinking.

You folks who were thinking about buying these probably should just go ahead and do so. If these sales hold there won't be any possibility of Lucas releasing another version of the OT on DVD. Except a likely even more F$%^ED up version.

You folks who were thinking about buying these probably should just go ahead and do so.

Why would I buy a movie I don't want? As much as I love Star Wars, it's not coming to DVD, so I'm not buying what is coming out.

Neil

I guess that means there are only a few of us anal Star Wars fans who want the original untouched versions.......:(

I'm sure we're the noisiest though. :mrgreen:

Neil

Ever since the DVD format came into the awareness of a larger public, the Star Wars trilogy has topped the most wanted list. It's been on Amazon.com's most requested pre-orders for years. Of course it's going to break records, even before it's released, no matter what version it is.

I guess that means there are only a few of us anal Star Wars fans who want the original untouched versions.......ROTFLMAO

I think there is alot more of us. I have seen MANY people on TV and in other arenas besides the internet (where there is a plethora of disgruntled SW folk) expressing great interest in wanting the original versions.

Sadly most people will just take what Lucas offers them :thumbup:

I want the originals, but I'll get the new one.

Morlock- who doesn't believe in not buying a DVD in protest. It's better than nothing, and it won't help my cause by not getting it.

Hurting George lucas where he's the most vulnerable (his wallet) is going to prove to be very effective.

Aargh, who am I kidding? He's going to sell more than well. I ain't buying his butchered trilogy just because I don't like those movies (filling up empty spaces with monsters disturbs me) and because I believe that eventually he's going the release the originals anyway. Just you wait and see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

and because I believe that eventually he's going the release the originals anyway. Just you wait and see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I consider Lucas to be entirely capable of releasing the original version in a few years time, stating that he wants the fans to enjoy the films as he had envisioned them originally.

Remember, this is the guy who once said that the reason they did not release a 2 LP soundtrack for ROTJ is because there was not enough music to fill 2 LP's.

Hurting George lucas where he's the most vulnerable (his wallet) is going to prove to be very effective.  

Aargh, who am I kidding? He's going to sell more than well. I ain't buying his butchered trilogy just because I don't like those movies (filling up empty spaces with monsters disturbs me) and because I believe that eventually he's going the release the originals anyway. Just you wait and see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That might just happen! :thumbup:

Just so he can force us to buy the same movies twice like an A-HOLE!

Force you? Is there a gun to your head or are you just "weak minded". Tell George to go "Force" himself.

Neil

Force you?  Is there a gun to your head or are you just "weak minded".  Tell George to go "Force" himself.

Neil

That's a Ford argument.

For those just joining this "Ford" conversation, I was quoting Harrison and not Thaxton.

Neil

Acyually, you were using a Ford Thaxton "dissing" technique.

Was I? It was not intended, I swear. I prefer to take the high ground.

The story I've heard is that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford were signing autographs for the crew at the end of Return of the Jedi. Hamill wrote, "May the Force Be With You" while Ford wrote, "Force Yourself".

Neil

Force you? Is there a gun to your head or are you just "weak minded". Tell George to go "Force" himself.

Neil

OK OK OK fine!

Put us in a position to tempt us into buying two versions.

I mean all these people will go out and buy the SE version unknowing Lucas is planning to release the originals and make those people buy em again.

OH and I've been telling George that for years Neil! :mrgreen:

BTW just for the record I am not even that adamant for a TOTAL original DVD collection. I would settle if Lucas made 3 simple changes:

1) Remove that GOD AWFUL Greedo shooting first deal and return it to the way it originally was. Its just ludicrous and nonsensical.

2) Get rid of the dumb and ULTRA corny Jedi Rocks music sequence from ROTJ. The song sucks and it makes a film already lacking in maturity even worse.

3) Scale back some of the CGI overuse. Get rid of the CGI shots which stand out like a friggin sore thumb in the movie. Like that shot of the scooter speeding pas the dino looking thing in Mos Eisley. OH and fix that HORRIBLY flawed Jabba sequence in ANH or just remove it entirely.

If they did that I would be satisfied. Some of the changes in ANH, ESN and ROTJ were not bad. The added CGI Battle of Yavin shots while a little awkward seem to fit in overall nicely. the changes to ESB were minimal and didn't hurt that film. The Sarlacc CGI in ROTJ seemed to work alright and the finale deal seemed a little overdone, but at least none of these changes seriously hurt the films.

I can understand why some people want the original films for posterity's sake. IMO Lucas should use the power of DVD to offer alternate versions of the same movies. It could EASILY be done. By selecinting the original the DVDs could just swap the threatrical shots for the SE ones. It might require more programming but it COULD be done on the same disk.

There seems to be flaws with every release of the Star Wars trilogy. I have the Laser Disc Boxed set of the 1993 THX originals and that is loaded with errors as well. The sound mix is off, lines of dialogue are missing: most notably in Star Wars when C3PO is explaining where the tractor beam controls are on the Death Star, about 15 seconds of footage is missing from TESB: where Leia is welding aboard the Millenium Falcon.

It seems each version he releases is F***** up.

There seems to be flaws with every release of the Star Wars trilogy. I have the Laser Disc Boxed set of the 1993 THX originals and that is loaded with errors as well. The sound mix is off, lines of dialogue are missing: most notably in Star Wars when C3PO is explaining where the tractor beam controls are on the Death Star, about 15 seconds of footage is missing from TESB: where Leia is welding aboard the Millenium Falcon.  

It seems each version he releases is F***** up.

The 1993 mix combined elements of the 6 track mix and the 35mm Dolby stereo mix. I'm not sure if the mono was used at all. The 3PO line was not on the 35mm Dolby Stereo mix. It was not heard on the early video releases. That line was first heard on LD with the 1989 widescreen LD.

If you want to have fun, watch the scene where the Falcon comes out of hyperspace and the TIE fighter flies out from behind them ("It followed us!"). It's actually surprisingly unclear what is happening at that point as Han reaches up and even the sound mixers seemed to have had different ideas. On the earlier mix, you hear two cannon shots which make it seem like Han is pushing some buttons to fire at a TIE fighter that isn't even in front of them yet. In the 1993 mix, you hear 2 shots from the TIE fighter, meaning the blasts we're seeing at the top of the cockpit are hits from the TIE fighter! The script just says an explosion occurs, not stating the source.

Empire is missing 6 seconds of Leia welding. It was a glitch at the start of side three and was corrected. FOX had a replacement program set up. It's also missing a sound efffect as a snowspeder is shot down.

Of course the best glitch on the set is the Star Wars photo gallery that has some photos of Bea Arthur from the Star Wars Holiday Special. :)

Neil