Star Wars Trilogy coming to DVD

diskobolus

Then again Lucas has had a screw loose for some time now so dont expect anything sensible from him anytime soon. :)

That"s why I'me close to nothing but left to have the special editions suit the purpose wholly while I can see and hear and maybe my great-grandsons will have the chance to get the OT, but will they ever care then at all?

Roman.-)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he's right (it's an Empire ™ after all...), but couldn't a representative of a company that was entirely made from fan's money be a bit more tactful in breaking it to their public that their wishes don't mean jack?

That's very true. I've never conceived of it this way. We're practically "employing" George Lucas to do some work for us, for which we pay him, but he seems to bunco far too much.

Is that english?

Off-topic.

Strilo, I've only now grasped your point behind your feedback, because I didn't pay much attention at first. Have you ever noticed the country I come from? I'm not English and despite trying unimaginably hard, it may not be enough to do here. I've never thought any high of my skills, still I'm sorry I'm difficult to understand, but I'd appreciate a little bit of patience with my English. I'm still learning. I apologize.

Times are getting tough...

;)

Roman.-(

Is that english?

Off-topic.

Strilo, I've only now grasped your point behind your feedback, because I didn't pay much attention at first. Have you ever noticed the country I come from? I'm not English and despite trying unimaginably hard, it may not be enough to do here. I've never thought any high of my skills, still I'm sorry I'm difficult to understand, but I'd appreciate a little bit of patience with my English. I'm still learning. I apologize.

Times are getting tough...

:mrgreen:

Roman.-(

your English is fine by me.

Yes this board is not exclusively for those of us who reside in the USA. There are members from other countries.

Back to the topic, Neil I was suprised at the edits in the clips you posted, I would have never noticed them.

Thanks alot George..... :mrgreen:

Neil I was suprised at the edits in the clips you posted, I would have never noticed them.

Thanks alot George..... :mrgreen:

My guess is that's what George was hoping, that no one would catch him censoring his film.

Neil

Oh for cryin out loud you guys I was half kidding. I was just wanting him to post a clarification, not get all offended. I know that most people on this board are not American and I welcome it. I have many German, Dutch and Aussie friends...

Oh for cryin out loud you guys I was half kidding.  I was just wanting him to post a clarification, not get all offended.  I know that most people on this board are not American and I welcome it.  I have many German, Dutch and Aussie friends...

Actually, as of last year, there were more North American posters than from any other country. Like it makes a difference.

blah blah blah, so Strilo made a joke, let's all cry about it and jump down his throat, shall we. "Was That Necessary?" "Your English is OK by me" Please, I've done a lot worse and so have all of you! Especially joking wise.... That was actually very funny. All Yoda had to say (I can't believe I'm actually saying Yoda) was... "I can also write it in Czech, can you?" :mrgreen: You know, I'm sick and tired of all this apology shit. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire, and if you can't stand a joke, especially a very tame one, then I really don't know........ I mean seriously guys, if someone had said that to me, I would have laughed my ass off!!!!! And please, I get worse comments than that joking and otherwise on here... Case in point... The desert Island thread. I could have cried about it, or laughed as well and made even more of a joke, hence the latter. So, Yoda, get over it, it was a joke, and honestly, I really could not figure out what on earth you were talking about, if he hadn't said it, I probably would have.

Well I think your sense of humour is rubbish.   :mrgreen:   ;)

Strilo, how dare you insult me like that! I don't need to put up with you or your demeaning evil ways!!

Now don't talk to me again until you've watched Jaws for a first time!

Neil

BTW I was wondering about this:

What happens to the right to Star Wars if Lucas croaks?

Do his adopted kids get the rights? I assume they dont go to his ex-wife Marcia or whatever-her-name is.

I was hoping maybe someday down the road after Lucas is gone someone who is more sensible will obtain the rights.

Are his kids adopted? I didn't know that. I'm sure there will be some kind of G. Lucas Trust that will oversee all things Star Wars (movies/mechandising/rights) in the future. Question is, will Rick McCallum be admitted? Oh noooo!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Are his kids adopted? I didn't know that. I'm sure there will be some kind of  G. Lucas Trust that will oversea all things Star Wars (movies/mechandising/rights) in the future. Question is, will Rick McCallum be admitted? Oh noooo!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yeah his kids are adopted.

There probably will be a trust as you say. Made up of several different parties perhaps. Hopefully the SW license will come undfer the primary control of someone who doesn't give a shit about the "Vision" of Lucas.

Morn don't share your S&M fetishes with us. We don't need your Aussie kink. :(

Strilo/Tim, you've never seen Jaws?

:oops:

I saw parts of it when I was a kid (in single digits) and don't remember a thing about it. HOWEVER, I recently bought the DVD for $8.99 and will be watching it as soon as school schedules allow.

At the time Jaws came out, my family and I lived in a little town called Brinkley, AR about 60 miles from Little Rock. We didn't have a real movie theatre, so anytime we went to LR, my sister and I went to the show.

This particular Saturday we went to LR, it was in July I believe. I had already read the book.

The theatre was packed. I was 14 and my sister was a too young 6.

Remember this is 1975, the movie goers of the time were not used to seeing the gore and the shock moments this film contained.

The opening music was like a hook in the mouth, and then we were promptly driven into our seats as Chrissie was devoured. I was captivated by the ocean sequences, now landlocked after living on the ocean's edge for so long. 2 summers before my father and his buddy and I had encountered a large GW off the coast of Maine, and I was loving every minute of this film. At the end my sister and eye lowered our legs back to the floor reluctantly. We walked out of the theatre to meet my parents, who may have put to much trust in my judgement that the film was suitable for my sister to attend. Bot of us were ghostly white my mom said. That night both my sister and I slept completely under the cover, not allowing a leg to dip over the edge in an irrational fear of what we had just seen.

I would see Jaws at the theatre many times over the next few years.

It rates with E.T. and Superman as my all time favorite movies ever, followed closely by Star Wars, and Raiders.

HOWEVER, I recently bought the DVD for $8.99 and will be watching it as soon as school schedules allow.

It's lousy that you can't experience the film with the original mono soundtrack. If you don't find it to be scary or effective I would lay the blame with the revised soundtrack which is a gross distortion of what the film was like originally.

Neil - who showed the LD last August to a friend that had never seen Jaws so as to experience the film properly

The theatre was packed.  I was 14 and my sister was a too young 6.

Remember this is 1975, the movie goers of the time were not used to seeing the gore and the shock moments this film contained.

Your sister was 6 years old? And they let her in? ;)

And to think that, these days, kids of the same age, probably eat Faces of Death videos for breakfast.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah..

The new soundtrack is fine, just ignore Neil, since this is one of his pet peeves.

But I do think the original (Oscar winning)mono track should have been included.

No blah...blah...blah!!!

And yes it is a pet peeve. I'm still waiting for the movie I know as Jaws to be released on DVD.

Neil

Your sister was 6 years old? And they let her in?  

it was rated PG, or was it GP back then, I am not sure

either way she was old enough. but it was too much for her.

I first saw Jaws when I was about 4 or 5 years old, hiding behind the staircase when my parents were watching it.

I did not know what if was of course, and I could hardly understand it, but years later when I saw it at age 11 i remembered the scene were the shark slowly tugs the fishing line, and the scene were the shark swims through the cabin of the Orca and Brody makes him eat a oxygen tank.

Seeing Jaws is probably the earliest memory I have, and i'm glad for it.

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah..

The new soundtrack is fine, just ignore Neil, since this is one of his pet peeves.

But I do think the original (Oscar winning)mono track should have been included.

No blah...blah...blah!!!

And yes it is a pet peeve. I'm still waiting for the movie I know as Jaws to be released on DVD.

Neil

Be prepared for a loooooong wait :roll:

The theatre was packed.  I was 14 and my sister was a too young 6.

Your sister was 6 years old? And they let her in? :)

And to think that, these days, kids of the same age, probably eat Faces of Death videos for breakfast.

I don't think it's gotten quite that bad yet Alex, but my nephew was about that same age when he first saw Jaws without any problem. I distinctly remember it because he felt sorry for the shark when all was said and done. However, he probably had an advantage over Joe's sister after having repeatedly watched Jurassic Park from the age of 2. He never had a single nightmare and, as an added bonus for me, those damned Barney videos were no longer enough to satisfy him.

Come to think of it, I wasn't much older than 6, when my parents let me see Alien when it first aired on HBO.

Darnit, Jurassic Park scared the shit out of me when I first saw it. My parents were a bit over-protective, so I never really got used to blood 'n' gore early on. They did let me watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I had absolutely no problem with that. That was just fun. Though I doubt my folks would have let me watch it if they had seen it before.

- Marc, who still hasn't seen any of the Alien films. :)

You know that brings up a really interesting point!

Jaws was rated PG and it has some SERIOUS violence.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was too and that film can be very violent.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was also rated PG and it had some SERIOUSLY gory stuff that would easily earn an R today.

So this begs the question: WHAT THE HELL WAS THE DEAL WITH THE MPAA IN THE 80'S?

I mean seriously! Seems hard to believe they let em get away with all that back then.

I don't think it's gotten quite that bad yet Alex. However, he probably had an advantage over Joe's sister after having repeatedly watched Jurassic Park from the age of 2. - IrishCal24

:)

Come to think of it, I wasn't much older than 6, when my parents let me see Alien when it first aired on HBO. - IrishCal24

:P

That's exactly what I meant with kids nowadays eating the faces of death videos for breakfast. Barney don't satisfy them any longer. And you don't think it's gotten quite that bad yet?!?! Boy, if they get used to this kind of gore during their kindergarten years, what will it take to impress them when they are teenagers? Real killings performed life on primetime TV? What if that doesn't do it any more?

I think we have a major problem.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Maybe not R, but they'd almost certainly get a PG-13 today. We have that rating now largely due to Temple of Doom and Gremlins, . Both films were almost given an R before their release dates in the summer of '84, and in the case of at least one of them, an appeal had to be filed with the MPAA to receive a PG.

I know Joe Dante brings it up during the commentary track on Gremlins. Spielberg talks about suggesting a new rating to the MPAA on the Indy bonus materials disc and mentions that the Raiders scene featuring Belloq's exploding head had to have the curtain of flames placed in foreground to prevent it from getting the R.

It didn't take the MPAA long to act either; Red Dawn became the first film released with the PG-13 rating in August of 1984.

Yes, before 1984, your average movie was either PG or R rated. So many PG films from those days would definitely be PG-13 now (Incidentally, the Indy DVD-set is rated 12 over here, while the 1999 VHS set was still AL (All Ages). Hm...).

- Marc

That's exactly what I meant with kids nowadays eating the faces of death videos for breakfast. Barney don't satisfy them any longer. And you don't think it's gotten quite that bad yet?!?! Boy, if they get used to this kind of gore during their kindergarten years, what will it take to impress them when they are teenagers? Real killings performed life on primetime TV? What if that doesn't do it any more?

I think we have a major problem.

Yes, my nephew, now 12, is an axe-wielding, gun-toting, homicidal/cannibalistic maniac with a taste for snuff films all because he was allowed to watch Jaws and Jurassic Park at such a young age. :roll:

Yes, my nephew, now 12, is an axe-wielding, gun-toting, homicidal/cannibalistic maniac with a taste for snuff films all because he was allowed to watch Jaws and Jurassic Park at such a young age. :roll:

He wouldn't be the first, you know. I can't go deeper into these matters because then we would be having a political discussion about guns, violence and sex. I'm afraid they will hang us if we persevere.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dammit haven't you heard? Its the violent video games which have now been revealed to be the scapegoa ....... errrr I mean reason behind violent children! NOT MOVIES!

;)

;)

He wouldn't be the first, you know. I can't go deeper into these matters because then we would be having a political discussion about guns, violence and sex. I'm afraid they will hang us if we persevere.

Fascist! ;)

I wonder how much Lucas will charge for this?

He'll probably try and rip us off as well as giving us this "SE" version.

Expect this to retail for like 80 bucks or something.

I bet it will be the same price as Indy, which I got for $44. which I thought too high considering the lack of extra's

I bet it will be the same price as Indy, which I got for $44. which I thought too high considering the lack of extra's

:)

Raiders alone is worth $44. I think you got a bargain. :)

Neil