Star Wars Trilogy coming to DVD

diskobolus

I also noticed that in the opening scene of ToD you can now hear Willie's voice drift to your right speaker when she moves right in the frame. Originally, the movie was in mono, so this was unpossible. I do think it's a nice touch, though, to make the sound for the opening fitting for a musical and have not just the music, but the song coming from all around you too.

All three Indiana Jones films were released in 70mm with six track sound (the source of the audio for the DVDs) and in 35mm with Dolby Stereo soundtracks. They were never, ever , ever mono, not even on home video. The stereophonic dialogue has always been a part of the mix on Temple of Doom.

unpossible

Ralph Wiggum?

:D

Neil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also noticed that in the opening scene of ToD you can now hear Willie's voice drift to your right speaker when she moves right in the frame. Originally, the movie was in mono, so this was unpossible. I do think it's a nice touch, though, to make the sound for the opening fitting for a musical and have not just the music, but the song coming from all around you too.

All three Indiana Jones films were released in 70mm with six track sound (the source of the audio for the DVDs) and in 35mm with Dolby Stereo soundtracks. They were never, ever , ever mono, not even on home video. The stereophonic dialogue has always been a part of the mix on Temple of Doom.

Oh. Fair enough. But I don't think I can hear Willie singing from my right speaker on the VHS version.

unpossible

Ralph Wiggum?

:mrgreen:

It's just a typo. :(

- Marc

:music: John Williams - Catch Me If You Can (Reprise and End Credits) from Catch Me If You Can (OST)

Wow that is awesome news! Lucasfilm wanted to release it after Episode III, but I guess the fans demanded otherwise LOL This box will fit nicely next to my Indiana Jones 4-DVD set!! Can't wait!!!!

Well I'll be buying them for sure. If Lucasfilm is using the Indy Box set as their model, it will be a high quality and well produced item, no matter what our kvetches about scarcity of extras or inclusion of annoying SE blunders. As for OT vs SE (and I know I'm gonna get lynched for saying this) I honestly would prefer to see SE over OT. SE just looks so much *better* and despite having some wretched scenes and musical edits,  a lot of the changes struck me as for the better.

Greedo's death, Jabba's new band and the messing around with the  Losing A Hand/Hyperspace cue were mistakes, for sure. But the improved Mos Eisley, crisper X-Wings, opaque snowspeeders, open-air Bespin (extreme improvement, IMHO), and Ewok Victory celebration (along with it's corresponding new musical cue) all were perfectly good and well executed changes in my mind.

I agree with you on this. The Special Editions were not a TOTAL waste. Granted those little blunders were annoying, and the music edits were painful... but many of the effects were cleaned up VERY nicely. I hybrid of the two should be in order. That's my pertsonal dream. Maybe his post-Prequel Special Editions may be the answer to this, although I'm getting sick of buying the same movies over and over again.

I'll take my same policy as my soundtrack CDs. What they make readily and commercially available, I buy. What they don't release, I'll aquire "bootlegged" if at all possible. If they release it later, I'll buy it. That's been my policy and nobody should have a problem with it really.

I agree with Crusher,a hybrid between the Original Ed and SE would be the best.I'm all for for the cleaned up frames like the Hoth Battle,colour restoration,and added digital SPACE BATTLE effects(the CG spaceship taking off of Yavin4 are much better than the dots flying into space,c'mon) .I also like the new Bespin scenes.

What they should remove:the meeting with Jabba,changes in the story like Greedo shooting first,,the badly done CG Sandtroopers on aTatooine,Luke screaming in ESB..ect...)

Seeing different planets celebrating at the end on RotJ is what I thought it should ALWAYS have been,even before the SE's were created.

Plus whatever they added in 1997 that's not top notch CG for 2004 should be improved accordingly.

K.M.

Aaaarggg!!!! The meeting with Jabba! A good example of how the new Lucas messed up a totally good movie. You know, a lot of people thought that George Lucas was a Wunderkind, a genius. But the truth is, and I'm not making this up, due to the lack of technology in those days, Star Wars was a fluke, an circumstantial accident. He intentionally left things out because, at the time, they didn't look convincing enough or were perhaps too expensive to include. It saved the movie. If it was up to Lucas Star Wars would've been a totally different animal from the start. And I would never have become a fan.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'd remove Greedo shooting first, without question. Lucas's reasoning behind it makes even less sense now in the wake of AOTC. Is he trying to say Han Solo, a drug-running smuggler at that point, has higher moral values than Mace Windu, a Jedi master second only to Yoda? We see Mace kill Jango Fett, defenseless by comparison, as opposed to simply disarming him. Solo's life was obviously in danger, Windu's was not.

Nicholas Meyer said it best, "Art thrives on restrictions".

Neil, that's not the best person to quote in this particular arguement when you consider he's created a "Director's Edition" of Star Trek II. It makes the guy come across as being hypocritical.

If it was up to Lucas Star Wars would've been a totally different animal from the start.

Lucas is no different than the vast majority of artists, regardless of medium or status, in that respect. Artists tend to be their own worst critics and most would give any thing to fix what they see as mistakes in their work. They also find it difficult to understand why anyone would want "uncorrected" versions. Spielberg made similar alterations to E.T. and has admitted there are only a handful of his own films he'll watch because he's so critical of his work. J. R. R. Tolkien revised both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings years after initial publication. Those are just a couple of probably countless examples.

However, I won't defend Lucas's stance not to release the original cuts of the trilogy along with his special editions on DVD. It pisses me off just as much as it does anyone else. His stubbornness is pointless and doesn't make good sense from a business standpoint. As long as there is a demand for the originals someone will make them available. Bootleggers were probably celebrating this past Tuesday's announcement. Spielberg should smack Lucas over the head with a copy of E.T. and say, "this is how to do it, dumb ass!"

Nice pic nja!

If I were a Rhodian I'd be pissed too!

I'm not a Rhodian, but I'm annoyed...mabye even pissed.

Neil

So am I!

Howevere, if I were a Rhodian it would be downright personal!

Then again maybe it is personal! :)

Anyway, we'll never see the original SW films on DVD other than bootlegs while Lucas is alive. Maybe if he croaks we'll get what we want.

Anyway hopefully there is truth to that report that Lucas removed the Solo shooting first sequence and restored the original version of that scene. If that was the case then AT LEAST the great offense to the OT has been taken care of.

I mean that God Awful "Jedi Rocks" sequence will still be there, but you can just fast forward past that.

A few years ago DVDFile.com had a great QuickTime comparison between the original cut of Star Wars and the 1997 "Special Edition". You can watch it here. This is a minor tweak, but it clearly shows that the SE was mildly censored in terms of violence.

Neil

A few years ago DVDFile.com had a great QuickTime comparison between the original cut of Star Wars and the 1997 "Special Edition".  You can watch it here.  This is a minor tweak, but it clearly shows that the SE was mildly censored in terms of violence.

Neil

Man, you can really see it when they're side by side. What do they think they're accomplishing- avoiding the pollution of a new generation of kiddies? Bunch of weenies.

Sheeesh Lucas has really gone pussy on us?  

Sheeesh!  

Someone needs to steal the original theatrical print of each film and make a REAL DVD out of em.

Better steal the hard discs where he stores the cleaned up originals.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sheeesh Lucas has really gone pussy on us?  

Sheeesh!  

Someone needs to steal the original theatrical print of each film and make a REAL DVD out of em.

Better steal the hard discs where he stores the cleaned up originals.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Not a bad idea!

Someone should do that!

They could make a fortune and become the idol of every disgruntled SW fan. :|

I'm buying the 4-disc set without desiring to be thanked for kind support of helping the sales numbers grow. :mrgreen:

I wonder what Peter Jackson would do had he been fettered to release LOTR trilogy on equivalent 4-disc set, where 4 disc appear to be the minimum requirement for a standard release of one installment of LOTR. Incommensurable in terms of quality over quantity, isn't it?

Star Wars is dead.

I hope not yet, at least for me. But the story is a bit longer that that. As a Star Wars troglodyte myself, I have thus of today seen Episodes One, Two and Four, with first two having watched both at theatres and on DVDs. I saw Star Wars on TV last year and taped it, as well as Empire and Return, but haven't yet watched them. I guess the versions they televised waere the 1997's special edition versions. Much of the story in episodes V and VI was already outlined to me since I read every thread brooding upon SW matters and all posts by King Mark in general as well, so I've cheated a bit on them. Anyway, can I still lay my hands or eyes on the SW's OT somewhere? Tapes with them are totally out of stock every place I've tried and getting bootlegs could be a bit difficult for me.

I wonder what Peter Jackson would do had he been fettered to release LOTR trilogy on equivalent 4-disc set, where 4 disc appear to be the minimum requirement for a standard release of one installment of LOTR.

Wrong the theatrical version is released as a 2 CD set, get your facts straight.

I've heard that in the new DVD release of Star Wars, the Lucas pulls a Spielberg, and removes the guns and replaces everything with walkie talkies. And in the walkie talkie scenes already in the movie he replaces those with guns.

I've heard that in the new DVD release of Star Wars, the Lucas pulls a Spielberg, and removes the guns and replaces everything with walkie talkies.  And in the walkie talkie scenes already in the movie he replaces those with guns.

"...Coming This Summer: It's the motion picture that changed America: Saving Private Ryan- the re-re-release, where the world 'Nazi' has been changed to 'Person with political differences' and all the guns have been replaced with walkie-talkies" :mrgreen:

I've heard that in the new DVD release of Star Wars, the Lucas pulls a Spielberg, and removes the guns and replaces everything with walkie talkies.  And in the walkie talkie scenes already in the movie he replaces those with guns.

"...Coming This Summer: It's the motion picture that changed America: Saving Private Ryan- the re-re-release, where the world 'Nazi' has been changed to 'Person with political differences' and all the guns have been replaced with walkie-talkies" :mrgreen:

LOL! Free Hat! Free Hat! Free Hat!

Ah... the genius of South Park...

Stand back! I have a walkie talkie, and I will use it! :mrgreen:

- Marc, :baaa:

but since we are on like the 1 millionth, its funny again, I mean really its like fart jokes, just when you don't think they are funny someone farts for a continuous 45 seconds, how could you not laugh.

I agree with Neil.  The walkie talkie thing.... lame and overdone.  This joke is not funny after the 1000th time.

I'm only quoting this because it's the first time that Strilo and I have agreed I think. :mrgreen:

Neil

I agree with Neil. The walkie talkie thing.... lame and overdone. This joke is not funny after the 1000th time.

It's important to remind everyone constantly of the vileness of the change to ET. :mrgreen:

I wonder what Peter Jackson would do had he been fettered to release LOTR trilogy on equivalent 4-disc set, where 4 disc appear to be the minimum requirement for a standard release of one installment of LOTR.

Wrong the theatrical version is released as a 2 CD set, get your facts straight.

Oops. What makes you think I didn't? I would hate to trifle with facts. ;)

But you're correct, indeed. There are 2-disc sets also available and not a disc less. ;)

Yeah Peter Jackson actually release the theatrical version of LOTR for those who wanted it before the "Updated" versions. Which were really just Extended Editions like they are called.

I still dont see why the hell Lucas couldn't just release BOTH versions of the OT. Call one "Definitve Director's vision" that being the Special Edition and one the "Theatrical Edition".

That way Lucas could placate his ENORMOUS ego by calling his "Special Edition" the definitive version and fans of the original theatrical release get what they want.

Everybody wins no?

Seems like the ideal thing to me.

Then again Lucas has had a screw loose for some time now so dont expect anything sensible from him anytime soon. :)