The Terminal Score Comments!

At The Terminal website under Facts, comments may be found regarding the score to said movie. http://www.theterminal-themovie.com/main.html. Sound slike Williams took my advice and made it ethnic. But he did not forget the American aspect of the film. Yay!

~Conor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a straightforward lush orchestral score,and not "jazzy" like CMIYC.I will probably be closer to Sabrina,Stepmom, and The Accidental Tourist with some Eastern Europeean orchestrations in some cues.The ehtems for the Airport,the Security Guys and the love theme will provably be Amarican flavour,and the scenes where the Hanks characters has flashbacks of his home life or talks about his country will be Eastern European

K.M.

Wait a minute after the Terminal we have to wait another year for another JW score!

What's not to understand? Spielberg said on the site that JW came up with a beautiful love theme. I didn't think there'd be one, I didn't think the movie, which if directed by anyone else would have a mostly song soundtrack, would be very hospitable to a dominant theme.

What's not to understand? Spielberg said on the site that JW came up with a beautiful love theme. I didn't think there'd be one, I didn't think the movie, which if directed by anyone else would have a mostly song soundtrack, would be very hospitable to a dominant theme.

LOL That was a great response, Morlock.

With these comments regarding the score, my feelings toward it has turned from ambivalence to slight anticipation.

The CD is now available for preorder at amazon.com, bn.com, cduniverse.com (cheapest), towerrecords.com, and probably other places as well.

These comments got me really looking forward to the score. And I'm very glad that it seemingly won't bear many similarities to CMIIYC (don't know why it would, but some were speculating). I liked CMIYC, but I don't care for Williams to be jazzy anymore. A Russian theme should be great, has he done anything like that before?

Ray Barnsbury

Can't think of one. Can't think of the last pure Romantic movie he's done. Maybe Accidental Tourist? I've never seen that one. And no Russian stuff. But I don't remember how Kabokov's theme goes :wave:.

I can't wait to hear a more subtle love theme from Williams. I love Across The Stars, but it is very overt, as the film demands, and I am very curious as to what approach he took. I honestly, can't wait to hear this score. I wonder how long it's gonna be on CD; one can only hope that it'll be another seventy minute album.

Ted

Can't think of one. Can't think of the last pure Romantic movie he's done. Maybe Accidental Tourist? I've never seen that one.

Don't you remember Sabrina? The Accidental Tourist score is romantic but in a very minor key (sad). Very beautiful. It's not as lush romantic like Sabrina is.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You know I reeally feel this needs to be said: Tom Hanks accent in this movie is MUNDO bad.

I mean I realize its a comedy and its not supposed to be authentic, but the man is NOT EVEN TRYING!

Yeah well OK its in the trailer. Maybe it works better in the film, but I doubt it.

I mean Tom Hanks is a good actor. Couldn't he learn a REAL accent for this? OR something resembling one?

Hanks just went lazy with this accent. Than again he does seem to like to overplay accents sometimes in roles. Like he did with Forrest Gump and more recently The Ladykillers.

However, this is really bad.

Well, this movie does seem like a breeze, even more so than Catch Me If You Can. I don't think it as worth his time, what with 2 higher profile movies coming out.

So now that everybody has finally scratched Catch Me if you Can off the "similar" list, what scores could this be like? A Russian-sounding Always?

-Ross, the one who likes Always.

It will probably start out much like The Hunt For Red October, and then will move into an Angela's Ashes ending for the sequence when Viktor leaves home for America. After that, there will be raptor music from Jurassic Park for no apparent reason while Viktor goes through the process of getting stuck in the Terminal. After that, "I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane" will play in millions of variations, both romantic and/or Slavic, and others, constantly until the end, where Williams will create a "Throne Room"-type que. After that, the music will just get really quiet through the end credits. Williams will end with a rousing rendition of the Peter Gunn theme.

Well, that's approximately how it will unfold. I may be missing a few portions.

~Conor

Why kid around? It's wonderful to hear Williams is writing for the clarinet again. Although keep in mind that the clarinet is very close to the saxophone. That means that a "Jazz score" is still in the running.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Right, forgot that one. I never thought of Sabrina as a romantic score.

:? ;)

K.M.Who's ex-girlfriend ONLY liked Sabrina of all the JW scores

Yeah, why would Hanks bother with a Spielberg film anyway?

I know, it's just one big waste.

Right, forgot that one. I never thought of Sabrina as a romantic score.

:? :wave:

K.M.Who's ex-girlfriend ONLY liked Sabrina of all the JW scores

And look how that worked out for ya? I say it's a horror score.

So, you must have sad memories of that score.

Why not send the original CD to me, and be rid of them?

Why not just send the original Trilogy DVDs to me, and be rid of them? Quid pro Quo, Yes or No?

;) Quid Pro Quo from Silence of The Lambs, The Musical

Why kid around? It's wonderful to hear Williams is writing for the clarinet again. Although keep in mind that the clarinet is very close to the saxophone. That means that a "Jazz score" is still in the running.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh, no. I am looking forward to this score immensely. I was just being random. Hehe...

And you're wrong about the clarinet being close to the saxophone. Clarinet doesn't mean "Jazz Score." It can't.

However, it can mean "Swing Score" (apparently there's a difference between swing and jazz). The clarinet is only used for swing, not for jazz (certainly not 60's progressive jazz).

Yay, then, for swing! Eastern European swing, of course.

I'm trying to be funny about this, but it may come off just as abrupt and rude. Please don't take it as the latter.

~Conor

A lot of tracks in Sabrina are mostly clarinet,and it doesn't sound jazzy

K.M.Who loves the clarinet but is lukewarm to the saxophone

Conor, you're just being abrupt and rude.

Anyway, a light, romantic Sabrina-like score wouldn't be bad at all. Hopefully it will be a little more fun, and of course it will have the ethnic element which might help in that respect.

Ray Barnsbury

Conor, you're just being abrupt and rude.

Anyway, a light, romantic Sabrina-like score wouldn't be bad at all.  Hopefully it will be a little more fun, and of course it will have the ethnic element which might help in that respect.

Ray Barnsbury

To me it rather appears to be something along the lines of some Brahms' Hungarian Dances -- at least judging from the description both Williams and Spielberg made. Note that Dances don't always need to have that danceable feel to them as is evident thru many composers's classical "dance" pieces, so I'm really thrilled.

That remark revealing no big interest about another jazzy Williams score was not necessary, whoever stated it. myself I'm thankful for any new stuff the composer pens, but that could be just that ole pathetic me... :devil:

And you're wrong about the clarinet being close to the saxophone.

I'm not wrong, RomanticStrings! Technically, they are certainly related. They both use a single reed. Adolphe invented the saxophone for he wanted to improve on the clarinet (in particularly the bass clarinet). Yes, the saxophone was developed from the clarinet!

It was once the reed instrument with the highest public profile, before the saxophone overshadowed it. In the 50s the complexity and virtuosity of 'Bebop' made an end to the popularity of the clarinet in Jazz music. Free Jazz re-launched the clarinet as a modern jazz instrument. In today's Jazz the clarinet is making a comeback. In fact, the usage of sax in Jazz has recently been announced by Leonard Feather (famous Jazz critic) as "Jazz Trend of the Year". And John Williams, being the trendy guy he is, knows this all too well.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh, dear. I certainly have come across as abrupt and rude. I was trying to be a bit silly, but it didn't work. All's I was sayin' was the the clarinet lends itself more to swing than jazz, if the distinction can be made, while the sax is more all around jazz and swing oriented. I certainly do know that they are related, though I would take a good clarient over a good sax any day (personal preference, of course). Please take no offense at my previous post. I meant no harm by it.

Of course, I don't think that the usage of clarinet in this score will be jazzy or swingy at all. It will be in a minor key and will be reminiscent of Shostakovish or the Russian scores of Goldsmith or Red October.

Am I forgiven for my rudeness? :oops:

~Conor

Of course you are. And I too prefer the clarinet over the saxophone, especially in a orchestral setting. I can't hardly wait for this score.

----------------

Alex Cremers

or the Russian scores of Goldsmith

Huh? The Russia House has nothing Russian about it's Sax theme.

Morlock- who doesn't get the hype around that Goldsmith score

There's also the "subtle use of an accordion"..dunno about that part 8O

The description also makes it clear the "love theme" is not related to the Ethnic part of the score.

K.M.Who thinks the accordion in one track of Sabrina is already enough for Williams

Oh, dear.  I certainly have come across as abrupt and rude.  I was trying to be a bit silly, but it didn't work.  All's I was sayin' was the the clarinet lends itself more to swing than jazz, if the distinction can be made, while the sax is more all around jazz and swing oriented.  I certainly do know that they are related, though I would take a good clarient over a good sax any day (personal preference, of course).  Please take no offense at my previous post.  I meant no harm by it.

Of course, I don't think that the usage of clarinet in this score will be jazzy or swingy at all.  It will be in a minor key and will be reminiscent of Shostakovish or the Russian scores of Goldsmith or Red October.

Am I forgiven for my rudeness? :oops:  

~Conor

LOL Sorry Conor, I was completely joking, since you clarified yourself adequately by saying you weren't being abrupt and rude. I don't think anyone was offended.

Ray Barnsbury

K.M.Who thinks the accordion in one track of Sabrina is already enough for Williams

Yeah, that's kinda cheesy. Like I said, hopefully this will be more fun.

Ray Barnsbury

or the Russian scores of Goldsmith

Huh? The Russia House has nothing Russian about it's Sax theme.

Morlock- who doesn't get the hype around that Goldsmith score

Well, I was thinking more in line with the Russian parts of Air Force One or The Sum Of All Fears, except not so bombastic, and played on the clarinet instead of brass instruments. I only know the theme to The Russia House from my Essential Goldsmith CD.

Also, I have a CD of the Red Army Choir, and they use the accordian a lot. And when I say Red Army Choir, I do mean the army choir of the USSR. Of course, the recording was made in 1994, so I'm not sure how that works, but, oh well... The accordian use is Russian sounding except for one track that sounds Italian, though it is Russian. Very strange...

~Conor

What JW scores feature the clarinet extensively?

Hmm, besides from being a part of his woodwinds arrangements, I'm not sure, but here are some highlights:

'Swing, Swing, Swing' from 1941 (Damn, Conor was right after all!)

'Cantina Band' from Star Wars (Damn you, Conoooooorrrrr)

'Stanley and Iris' from the amazing Stanley and Iris and in other parts of the album.

'Am I Beautiful?' from Far and Away

'Main Theme' from The Fury

----------------

Alex Cremers