Is Mischief Managed a waste of space?

Is Mischief Managed a waste of space?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Opinion in between "yes" or "no" (specify)

I'd like to have this clarified:  who are HP scores made for/targeted at? For the long-time JW fans? For HP movies/books fans exclusively? For both of the both? Or just for the demands of the movie?

They are simply aimed at anyone who will pay. It's just one more product to market.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really love about the track is it's treatment of Nimbus 2000.

Are we sure this is not a tracked recording from PS or Cos?

K.M.Planning to check and compare the pevious renditions of that theme.

I mean the CD is what? 68 minutes? Plenty of space for more music.

It just sucks they decided to use it for some multimedia crap. WHO CARES ABOUT THIS STUFF?

People who buy these CDs buy em for the music.

I never understood the whole idea of not releaseing a full 75-6 minute CD. I just don't understand, like if there's more than enough of superior Air force One music to fill CD, they use about half of the space. Could someone explain how the system works?

Well basically CD makers in their "infinite wisdom" (READ: INCREDIBLE SARCASM!) feel that we dont want as much music as possible and feel it would be better to fill up the rest of the CD with a bunch of multimedia promotional crap designed to entice you into seeing the movie as well as buying the score. So they can get another 8.50 from you.

The system works that way cause filling up a CD costs money.

They have to pay re-use fees to the union of the Orchestra that performed the score, in the US those fees are pretty high, in other countries they appear to be lower.

Not sure of this, but every 15 minutes of music costs then a substantial amount of money, making it harder to turn a profit.

For a label as Varese Sarabande, which is a big soundtrack label, but hardly has the resources of Sony Classical, or Decca releasing a full CD can be a risky bussiness.

Withoput Varese however, many of the score we treasure today, would never have been released.

Also another reason may be that the composer does not wanna have more music released on the CD.

Especially Jerry Goldsmith seems to balk at anything over 47 minutes.

Damn! I was not aware of that. Interesting info there Stefan. I thought all the music on a soundtrack CD cost the studio nothing beyond what it cost to get it recorded. Guess not! ;)

Still makes no sense to me. If your buying the rights to a score, why do you have to pay more for an extra 20 minutes?

I'm gonna say something now. It's gonna be big, something you may not be able to understand, but here is a brand new observation: The World isn't fair.

Well since Morlock shared that shocking revelation about the world, I will follow up by give you all the true meaning of life: IT STINKS! ;)

No, the meaning of life is and always will be to try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight. ;)

Still makes no sense to me. If your buying the rights to a score, why do you have to pay more for an extra 20 minutes?

Because there is a re-use fee involved. The primary purpose of a film score is for the movie. Beyond that, the musicians get paid again for other releases of the music. The US studio musicians have a very high re-use fee. Sometimes deals can be made, other times they can't. This could be the reason why we got an expanded Raiders score and not the other two Indy films. Raiders was recorded in London while the other two films were both reocrded in LA with studio musicians.

Neil

Nobody answers my question that I've stated for years now:

Why aren't complete editions offered in limited editions, specially priced for the collector's market? No matter the cost?

With the HUGE fan followings that entities such as Star Wars and Harry Potter have, they could do this and not risk losing any money. I'd pay whatever it was for such releases, and simply do not understand why it isn't done. It's just nonsensical. The amount of money that some of us fanatical collectors would pay would often times offset the risk involved with expensive expanded releases. Especially if packaged as a coupon (or advertisement) within the original album itself. Maybe as simply a second volume, or as a complete set. Often times, people (read, lunatic collectors like many of us) will buy two albums, regular and expanded. Make TWICE the money! What's stopping them?

There are ways around these "re-use fee" type things, yet I think that some execs just aren't creative enough. Either that or they just don't really care.

OH! Then again, we have the Morns of the world who would never buy ANY release, yet take it for free and distribute for free. Maybe that's why. With the Morns of the world around, everybody loses. Thanks, buddy! ;)

I have to admit that while I didn't enough the movie much (I was tempted to strangle the 8 year old who was laughing at the humourous moments or whether he was just laughing at my unhealthy amount of chins), I must say that Williams comes up trumps with this score. While not the best HP score so far, I did enjoy his Tudor music for "Hagrid the Professor". Very astute of Williams.

To those who saw the movie, did anyone cringe in their seats the way I did when Harry, atop Buckbeak, did his "I'M KING OF THE WORLD" routine on the lake's surface? I couldn't help but scream at the screen. Blatant disregard for copyright as Mr Van Sant knows too well...see you in court, mate!

96 days to go until Aug 22nd. It's is getting closer.....

Hitch, listening to you-know-who?

What is the significance of August 22 for you?

As I undoubtedly told you one thousand times, I'll be seeing my next composer for my next movie in action on Aug 22nd. See this previous message link

http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpB...7949d5ff5cb933e

Hitch, who was delighted Ireland beat Holland 1-0 (soccer) last night in Amsterdam

So I take it you guys are all taken?

...there goes my plan of finding a husband here  :cry:  :flush:  

:P

Don't come looking for me. Alma will show you straight to Cabin 1. ;):PROTFLMAO

Hitch, who only got caught once by Alma and lived to tell the tale and direct the movie. Anyone see POCAHONTAS?

You have to be kidding. My girlfriend's, too.

Infact that day is the nexus of time and space itself.

Justin

You have to be kidding. My girlfriend's, too.

Infact that day is the nexus of time and space itself.

Justin

It's the end of the world as we know it! That pesky Nexus is always causing trouble for the universe.

Hitch, who hates Picard's Nexus universe in ST7.

I now consider this cue not only a waste of space for the most part but an INSULT as well,they edited out NEW music in 2 places to fit the re-hash stuff:

Beginning of Orchestral Double Trouble(great great great passage,which i have been saying for 3 weeks)

In the Buckbeak's Flight portion,the movie End Credits have some of the fantastic woodwind figures that were in Sirius Escapes.I have to hear it again but it's NOT the same recording as the tracked version on the album.

K.M.

More great unreleased music: Harry crying in the snow, accompanied by some really wonderful melancholy strings. More english music as the kids go to Hagrid's hut; a moody oboe as Lupin leaves; chorus during the Patronus lesson; the bats swooping down as Harry and Hermione wait in the forest and Buckbeak feasts. And of course like I've said, many renditions of the past theme.

Ray Barnsbury

yes,the bats,the bats..i remember...I remember all these other ones too..damn.

Great Past theme versionI noticed:After we hear Hedwig"s Theme in a shot of Hedwig flying back to the castle,there's a great horn/string version of the Past Theme as Harry os seen trough the big clock thingy,and another version of the Past theme when they are in the forest and Sirius looks at the Hogwarts Castle in the night sky.

K.M.

After we hear Hedwig"s Theme in a shot of Hedwig flying back to the castle,there's a great horn/string version of the Past Theme as Harry os seen trough the big clock thingy,and another version of the Past theme when they are in the forest and Sirius looks at the Hogwarts Castle in the night sky.  

Exactly. I particularly love the thematic weaving in the first instance you mention.

Ray Barnsbury

1. More semi-coincidences: August 23rd was the birthday of my ex-gf. I hope she's happy with her old husband who leaves her and their baby daughter alone a quarter of the world away from her mom and goes drinking with his buddies and doesn't let her call home. I'm not bitter. No, really! ;) Heheheh...

2. CoS: Great score. Now I'll have to see the movie. Still upset about the wasted space on the CD though. ;)

3. Morn: You are a sick, disgusting perv! At least Steef got you with a clever retort! :)

4. MadFrenchBird: Most of us were single for a long time when there were no girls posting here whatsoever, LOL! However, I'm sure you'll find many still available posters. Not me though, but... well, KM for example!

-Triple C, Who has tried to get KM to join me to Thailand and meet his fiance's single friends... but he chickens out! LOL (Just kiddin' with ya' KM)!

2. CoS: Great score. Now I'll have to see the movie. Still upset about the wasted space on the CD though.

:? Do you mean PoA?

Ray Barnsbury

So I take it you guys are all taken?

Not me.

Morn: You are a sick, disgusting perv!

Ohh really, I don't think I said anything particularly unusual in terms of sick and disgusting fetishes. :)

...there goes my plan of finding a husband here

Yeah, most people here don't like commitment. :)

Justin

As part of the holdout gang (although a small and insignificant member), I vote no. I was hoping and hoping that "The Knight Bus" would come back in the end credits so I could hear it without all the traffic and "quiet parts" in the way. I think it was worth it just to hear it again! And while it could have been more masterfully done (in the style of ESB or even ROTJ), it is still enjoyable as it is. And what's a Williams score without an end credits montage?

Maybe not the greatest Williams score since The Lost World (but I don't know what is), but certainly brilliant. I especially love all the early music (the recorders and all)!

SeekUYoda - who bought the CD on the way home from the film Friday night!

As part of the holdout gang (although a small and insignificant member), I vote no.  I was hoping and hoping that "The Knight Bus" would come back in the end credits so I could hear it without all the traffic and "quiet parts" in the way.  I think it was worth it just to hear it again!

Maybe so, but the cue is already on the album anyway, so why put the end credits, containing the same music, on the album again?

To help lazy people like me who would rather hear pre-made end credits than make their own? I've always enjoyed hearing the end credits - it sums everything up. Kind of like an overture in reverse?

I really enjoyed it in the theater and was sad that no one else stuck around to the end. Honestly, the people doing the janitorial duties looked really upset that we were still there!