Olympic Thread

King Mark

Yes I'm just a slacked jawed yokel from Central Texas who don't know any better...... :roll:

Texas? Only steers and censored come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHA, Oh no, another bloody Texan!!!!! What am I to do?!?!?!?!?!?! Well, i for one am not interested in Basketball or American Football. Neither do anything for me. Hey, to me it's when they are swimming for the medals, my heart is pounding like mad. Michael Phelps, Ian Thorpe, Amanda Beard, Inga de Bruijin, Van den Hoogenband, Kasuke Katijima, Piersol, Klotchkova, Sandinoe and others. Plus the gymnasts like Blaine Wilson, Alexei Nemov, The Hamm twins, Mohini Bhardwaj, Svetlana Khorkina, in fact all the men and women gymnasts. To me the olympics are about who is the fastes on earth and water, who can do the most incredible things with their bodies in gymnastics, those events. To you guys it's boring, and yeah, you prefer the team sports, but to me, this is it. It's how incredible they are alone, as athletes. Oh hell, whatever, yeah, I'm a snob!!!!!! I admit it!!!!!! And I am proud of it. ;) Who cares about grunty overtestosteroned men whacking into each other on a Football field. They are athletes, but you know, B calibur........ *whistling away looking innocent*

Well it's not my fault she has such a bloody weird name. At least mine is normal!!!!!!

I don't watch soccer either. I'm just all about Gymnastics, Swimming, Track & Field, diving and of course my sport that I started in training in again and competing soon hopefully, Equestrain Show Jumping.

Of course you have to choose one of the most dorkiest pictures of him I have ever seen anywhere, and no, I'm not watching football is because I've never liked the sport.

Go thorpedo! We are doing really well in these games.

I usually don't watch sports, but the extra patriotism at stake makes it far more interesting, sort of like putting money on games makes them interesting.

Hello, I have not posted, but I have watched for sometime, I am a real big John Williams fan, as we all are, but anyways, my friend works for NBC, and has told me that everytime they play "Summon the Heros", "Olympic Fanfare", and "Olympic Spirit" he gets royalties. According to my friend, Williams is the offical composer for NBC, and has been for sometime.

I heard in February, I cannot remember from whom, but a composition called, "Return to Athens" was supposed to be composed for these Olympics, I have not found anything online, do any of you know of such a composition?

Welcome to the board :P

You are the first to mention this Return to Athens piece.Can you try to find out more about it from those NBC friends?All I know is that that some of the music from the MSNBC internet Olympic preview had part of a new Williams composition based on his original Olympic Fanfare,but I haven't heard it in the broadcast yet.Hopefully it will turn up in some broadcast credits and someone will record it...

K.M.

I think if Williams had composed a new piece for the Olympics called Return to Athens, it would be on his concert in LA since it is all about the olympics.

I talked to my friend at NBC, and he said that MSNBC does have a new composition that they are running, so K.M. you are correct, the rumors are true. But, I do not know if Williams composed the composition, it is called, "Return to Athens", the composition consists of, "Summon the Heros", "The Olympic Spirit", and "Buglar's Theme". K.M. I am not sure if the composition will be released.

Thanks for your welcome King Mark and Ren :-)

I find it impossible to believe that Williams could have had any involvement with a new Olympic theme, even if it was just a reorchistration, without someone here finding out. We've got connections, you know. :devil:

I think it's more likely NBC brought someone else in.

Oh, and Welcome. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I'll ask Conrad, if anyone wil know, he will.

Thanks Ocelot, you didn't sound rude...anyways, yeah, I am not sure if Williams composed it at all, I am hoping deep down inside that he did, but again, knowing his schedule these past months he might of not. Keep asking around...we will find out.

I'm not a follower of sports either, but the Olympics are different, especially when seen in HD. Crappy old NTSC, or PAL, images do not compare to the higher res 16:9 widescreen image.

While the NBC HD feed is not day and date with the analog 4:3 feed, the wait is worth it. Plus, you can watch when you want, as it runs 24/7, in a 4-hr loop.

My local NBC affiliate is not capable of doing local commercial inserts in the HD feed when the feed is not in sync with the NBC analog feed. During those HD breaks, NBC shows excellent HD scenes of Greece. Plus, and a big plus, you don't have to put up with Bob Costas and all those human interest stories.

If you haven't seen it in HD, find someone who can view it and ask if you can see for yourself.

King Mark, I agree with you, that is enough proof for me, we have a new Williams composition! "Return to Athens" indeed is Williams...I forgot about that link.

I think that NBC is doing a really good job with the Olympics this year, although I really did like the Salt Lake Games and hearing "Call of the Champions" at the medals plaza, but I really like hearing all these compositions that Williams has composed for the games, and seeing them in Greece. I have NBC HD, and it is amazing.

Is this what everyone is looking for?

LINK DELETED BY MODERATOR

Length: 2:55

Size: 7,025,280

MP3: 320k @ 48kHz

Another advantage of having HD.

I am downloading it,it should finish in half an hour,then I'll tell you if were taliking about the same thing,

all I know is that I just heard on TV an amazing new version of the Olympic fanfare returning back from a commertial...definately by Williams.

K.M.

COOOOOL! YES,a new pulse pounding,kick ass recording of Summon the Heroes,amazing.What a freakin awsome new ending.

K.M.Amazed beyond words right now

I thought the performance was very lacking. The energy was great, but that brass....a pain to listen to.

Really? What did you listen on? All of my equipment is downstairs, so I used my Dolby ProLogic Surround system when editing and creating the MP3 file. I haven't played it on my 5.1 system that is upstairs, which includes a great subwoofer. I certainly had no problem listening to it.

So, the correct name for this piece is "Summon the Heros"? It isn't the new Athens Olympic theme?

It' Summon the Heroes,not return to Athens,but a new performance different thean the one on the c.d.As for the sound quality,it seems fine to me,

I see nothing wrong with the brass

K.M.

It's diferent from from the new music in the original video posted by Ricard on the main page,and I heard more new stuff on TV,so Williams re-recorded a bunch of new stuff.

K.M.

Really great recording MrVideo! I just downloaded and it's awesome.

Thanks. The recording is from the HDTV NBC feed recorded onto D-VHS tape. It turns out that the first time they used the video with the music was during the opening ceremonies. It hasn't been used complete, especially with a clean start, since then.

The D-VHS tape was then played and fed into my DVCAM DSR-20 digital video recorder, which is firewired to the computer. Since the DVCAM deck has analog in to firewire capability, a DVCAM recording isn't necessary. DVCAM audio is sampled at 48 kHz.

On the computer I just used Premiere to extract the audio and used an audio editing program to normalize the audio level and get the clean start as well as fix the music at the end. Then I converted to the highest possible MP3 bitrate.

I wonder what the chances are of a CD release.

John- still stunned that Williams could have done this without some kind of public release or one of our "insiders" finding out.

He's got an invisibility cloak!! 8O

:baaa:

;)

I'm as well surprised that we had no idea he was doing this.

Sort of a weird feeling, on a John Williams fan board where we hear about everything he does usually, nobody heard of this.

I suspected he recorded stuff,now if only that new piece that sounds like "Popular Entertainement" in American Journey could play without Bob Costas voice.

Thanks. The recording is from the HDTV NBC feed recorded onto D-VHS tape. It turns out that the first time they used the video with the music was during the opening ceremonies. It hasn't been used complete, especially with a clean start, since then.

The D-VHS tape was then played and fed into my DVCAM DSR-20 digital video recorder, which is firewired to the computer. Since the DVCAM deck has analog in to firewire capability, a DVCAM recording isn't necessary. DVCAM audio is sampled at 48 kHz.

On the computer I just used Premiere to extract the audio and used an audio editing program to normalize the audio level and get the clean start as well as fix the music at the end. Then I converted to the highest possible MP3 bitrate.

Sounds great on my brand new 24 bit Audigy 2 NX.

K.M.Who nearly fell off his chair when he put on the DVD-Audio sampler disk.

Just heard yet another new orchestration of Summon the Heroes(played slow and noble) as the were panning over the Greek ruins after a commercial.

K.M.

Why not AAC?

Neil

Neil! Not again!!! You and your bloody AAC's.... Honestly, you never lets up. Your such a tw@t, I mean come off it, it's AC. Not AAC... Air Conditioner... And what's it to you anyway if people have one or not?

Yes,Neil,why are you trying to infect our PC's with that bastard format.iTunes installed something called "ipod service" in my registry which I had to disable manually because it was taking up 5 megs of RAM in the background...among other things.

Also,I recorded a 10 second bumper of new Williams music(with voices over it),if anybody wants it I can make an MP3.

K.M.

I don't know if you have seen the opening but I felt the music was really poor, plus there wasn't a real orchestra at present.

The main Olympic theme was sweet but it reminded me of a kid's lullaby for Orchestra and Choir with a nice middle section.

Yes,Neil,why are you trying to infect our PC's with that bastard format.

Because it would sound better.

Neil - wondering why this wasn't encoded with Apple Lossless

Those two links to those mp3 files don't work anymore, would anybody be willing to share those files with me?

Thank you very much in advance,

Lotman

((Edit: Er... Could anyone PM me the link to the file of Mr Video? Thank you!))

Why not AAC?

You got a free Windblows encoder, or better yet, a free one for Linux?

I'd need a player as well.

In other words, I'd rather do AAC, if I had the software.

Yes,Neil,why are you trying to infect our PC's with that bastard format.iTunes installed something called "ipod service" in my registry  which I had to disable manually because it was taking up 5 megs of RAM in the background...among other things.

Actually, AAC is a better encoder than MP3, like MPEG-4 is better than MPEG-2 for video.

Obviously I'd want an AAC encoder that didn't infect the computer, like simple MP3 encoders that are everywhere. I don't have any iTunes stuff on my systems.

How about those swimmers?!?! What a great way to finish the with the USA guys breaking the world record in the 4x100 relay. :-) Another Texan here...how cool that 3 of those 4 guys swim for UT. Hook em Horns!

Man, the swimming has been heartpounding. More gymnastics tomorrow night too!

Heard "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" over the Day 8 Recap, really nice.

Anybody have any idea what orchestra they would have had record all the music, and the national anthems for ceremonies?

Summon the Heros is at this link:

The filename is wrong. I haven't changed it because the link is out there in previous messages.

Here is another link for more music that is being used. I need the correct name of the piece. Also, is it really this short?

Length: 30

Size: 1,201,920

Oh no! Direct links to mp3s! Neil, do your thang. ROTFLMAO

And yes Saxbabe, the last night of the swimming was fabulous. Some gold for you guys, some gold for us, some gold for the Dutchies! Everyone's happy! :happybday:

And Wael, I swear I saw your doppleganger last night as I was walking home from dinner! That is to say, he had a shaved head and was wearing a red baseball cap, dark jacket and a white shirt - just like in your avatar pic! Weird. LOL

CYPHER

Oh no! Direct links to mp3s!

I now see the rule, which doesn't say one can't post such links, it just says to avoid doing so.

It isn't as if the files are rips from CDs. Anyone who wants a copy can just record it off-air like I did. This just makes it easier for the experts in the forum to provide the correct titles, since I'm definately not an expert.

Plus, PMing everyone who wants to listen to the piece isn't exactly viable.

Sigh :cry:

I now see the rule, which doesn't say one can't post such links, it just says to avoid doing so.

It isn't as if the files are rips from CDs.  Anyone who wants a copy can just record it off-air like I did.  This just makes it easier for the experts in the forum to provide the correct titles, since I'm definately not an expert.

Plus, PMing everyone who wants to listen to the piece isn't exactly viable.

Sigh  :cry:

Thou shall be judged by thy Moderator.

He will pronounce the Doom forthwith.