Fury OST release rumour over at FSM

pete

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or we could all chip in and get one. Then after they are sold out. Sell it on Ebay and give the profit to JWFan! 8O

Justin -Who acctually doesn't think it's a bad idea. Other than the fact you'd have to trust people. :)

First some background...

I currently own about 10 John Williams Soundtracks (Harry Potter 1 & 2, Jurassic Park 1 & 2 (and 3), CMIYC, The Patriot, Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones 1 & 3 etc.) After reading this thread I decided to get The Fury (deluxe edition) from Varese, even though I haven't seen the film or heard the soundtrack. Well I ended up buying something else too... :)

Here are the details of my order:

vsd-5280 -- Presumed Innocent -- John Williams (1 item)

VSD-5298 -- River, The -- John Williams (1 item)

vsd-5255 -- Stanley & Iris -- John Williams (1 item)

vcl-0702-1011-2 -- The Fury: The Deluxe Edition -- John Williams (1 item)

vcl-1102-1014-2 -- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York - The Deluxe Edition -- John Williams (1 item)

VSD-5540 -- Cowboys, The -- John Williams (1 item)

-Snowster

Great start! I know exactly what it's like- I had like 5 Williams CDs, than I got 9 off Amazon.com, and it's been growing ever since, and now, less than two years later I have a very large collection (And I only got Presumed Innocent and Stanely & Iris two weeks ago!).

First some background...

I currently own about 10 John Williams Soundtracks (Harry Potter 1 & 2, Jurassic Park 1 & 2 (and 3), CMIYC, The Patriot, Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones 1 & 3 etc.) After reading this thread I decided to get The Fury (deluxe edition) from Varese, even though I haven't seen the film or heard the soundtrack. Well I ended up buying something else too... :P  

Here are the details of my order:

vsd-5280 -- Presumed Innocent -- John Williams (1 item)

VSD-5298 -- River, The -- John Williams (1 item)

vsd-5255 -- Stanley & Iris -- John Williams (1 item)

vcl-0702-1011-2 -- The Fury: The Deluxe Edition -- John Williams (1 item)

vcl-1102-1014-2 -- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York - The Deluxe Edition -- John Williams (1 item)

VSD-5540 -- Cowboys, The -- John Williams (1 item)

-Snowster

Great start! I would also highly recommend that (when your wallet allows) you add Superman, some Star Wars, & Close Encounters to the mix.

BTW, I still need to pick up The Fury. I'd better do that before it is too late.

What version did you find in the store- the original or Deluxe? Since I've never heard of a Deluxe Varese release in a store.

The Deluxe, it's a specialized store. But I have seen it in Fnac too, a few years ago, so they do sell those CD's sometimes.

Well, I have the main theme from The Fury on the "40 Years of Film Music" (or some such title) CD. It's damn good.

Epilogue on the original LSO album is absoulutly incredible. It's easily one of the top ten cues Williams has ever written. Simply amazing.

Justin -Who also loves Gillian's Power, Approaching The House, and Lifting Susan. Everything on those discs are dang good. :wave:

but that Main Title is certainly an attention grabber

That track alone is worth 48 euros!

Gillian's Power, Approaching The House, and Lifting Susan

Those are too.

:wave:

And don't forget to watch the movie. The score works so amazingly well with the visuals, it's even better when you've seen what it was written for.

Marian - who still listens to it as pure music, but appreciates it much more since he knows the movie.

:wave: Tubular Bells II (Mike Oldfield)

I ordered it as well. The track listing of cd1 doesn't match the real track times. Do you have this problem too?

Btw, what is a theremin and how does it work?

(A vague and incomplete discription) A Theremin is an electronic insturment that creates that otherworldly sound used in alot of Alien or sci fi movies, especialy in B movies. The Day The Earth Stood Still, Plan 9 from Outer space, Ed Wood and Mars Attacks come to mind (and of course the Fury). If I recall correctly, it looks kinda like a shoe box with an antenna, and you move your hands (without touching it) to make different sounds with it.

A very vague and probably partialy inaccurate summary, which I gathered from watching the behind the scenes of Ed Wood several months back.

If I recall correctly, it looks kinda like a shoe box with an antenna, and you move your hands (without touching it) to make different sounds with it.

Not different sounds but different notes.

I ordered it as well. The track listing of cd1 doesn't match the real track times. Do you have this problem too?

Btw, what is a theremin and how does it work?

I noticed that too. I think maybe two tracks times are reversed or something.

Justin

Yes, it was used to wonderful effect in The Day The Earth Stood Still. I highly recommend buying that cd for anyone thta doesn't have it.

Yah, I have a few tracks of it (from one of the Prague Phillharmonics CDs) and it's great. A genuine classic alien score, which lead to all the imitations and spoofs.

Actress Carrie Snodgress, who played Hester in The Fury, has died.  She was 57.  R.I.P. Mrs. Snodgress.

Neil

Wow! Thats very tragic. That woman should have had many more years ahead of her.

Interestingly enough that article didn't say what she died of. I wonder what happened? Heart attack? Cancer?

Clearly not natural causes.

Well I saw The Fury this morning. Overall I found the film to be entertaining. Most of the real emotion was from the music which is truly astounding in the film. Gillian's Escape is easily one the greatest uses of music in a film. The acctually film I thought was very well directed but if you ask me just wasn't that scary. Cameron on Aliens talks about the diffrence between Horror and disgust and I think that applies very much to this film. Much of the "Horror" was simply disgust at all the blood. Although I found the actor who played Robin to have his character go though a good "mood arc" throughout the film. Overall an entertaining film that succeds more as a thriller action film than a horror movie.

Justin -Who thinks everyone should watch the movie just to hear the score in the film. :mrgreen:

Well I saw The Fury this morning. Overall I found the film to be entertaining. Most of the real emotion was from the music which is truly astounding in the film. Gillian's Escape is easily one the greatest uses of music in a film. The acctually film I thought was very well directed but if you ask me just wasn't that scary. Cameron on Aliens talks about the diffrence between Horror and disgust and I think that applies very much to this film. Much of the "Horror" was simply disgust at all the blood. Although I found the actor who played Robin to have his character go though a good "mood arc" throughout the film. Overall an entertaining film that succeds more as a thriller action film than a horror movie.

Justin -Who thinks everyone should watch the movie just to hear the score in the film. :mrgreen:

And what about the finale?

Neil

The Fury Review

PART TWO: :D

What about the finale? Well I thought it was a rather neat explosion. Although something of an odd way to end the movie. It further helps my theory that the entire film is built on disgust rather than horror. If you ask me it just seemed like they needed something else afterwords. But hey the music was great and overall it was a fun finale. (Although they certainly thought the explosion was good enough to see from a dozen angles. :) ) The slow-mo scene (Gillian's Escape you mean?) Was excellent the best scene in the movie if you ask me. I love DePalma's Slow-mo scenes. The Baby carriage on the stairs in The Untouchables was an incredible sequence. As is Gillian's Escape. Although when Hester crashes into the windshield it shatters. Which a windshield wouldn't really do. ;)

Again I'd say it was a fun entertaining movie which is certainly better than many films comming out these days. Out of 4 stars I'd give it a 3. Not a brilliant film but it's definatly good.

Justin

It further helps my theory that the entire film is built on disgust rather than horror.

Aside from the decaptitation and the explosion, I don't think there's much disgust in it, actually.

The slow-mo scene (Gillian's Escape you mean?)

That's the one. I love De Palma's use of sound, and of music as sound, in that sequence. The gun shots (and I believe the decapitation, too) are scored with music as sound effects.

Generally, De Palma seems to like interesting bits like that. As in Femme Fatale, when he blends out all French dialogue during a slow motion sequence but still displays the subtitles.

Marian - waiting for his next film.

Aside from the decaptitation and the explosion, I don't think there's much disgust in it, actually.

Was it supposed to be a horror movie? It seems more like a violent thriller to me. Yes it was disgust, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.....

Well, DePalma is probably the most highly stylised director working today, I really felt this wanting to break out in The Untouchables and Carlito's Way, but he couldn't too much (I think even The Untouchables, which is a great movie, seemed to showy at times). Then, from Mission Impossible, he's been taking giant leaps with each movie. MI is such a slick, stylish movie, that the second one seemed like parody, then Snake Eyes- I saw in the theater when it came out and remember just being so interested by everything that was going on, the looks of the film, the editing, the split screen, the real time, the multiple POVs. I just wish he could balance out his movies in the future, since like Femme Fatale was all style and nothing else.

Did anyone see the Simpsons Sunday evening?

Homer takes Bart & Lisa to a scarey movie. They have bad dreams, tell Marge & Homer that there is a ghost in the attic.

The spooky music starts and Homer heads up to the attic saying that he refuses to let some ghost play the Theremin in his attic.

Very cool!

I loved the episode (though it originaly aired a few weeks ago). I loved the 'scary' music with the girl's voice in the horror movie, a great parody of all those horror scores (reminded me most of The Omen and Poltergeist)

Ahh yes, Homer seems to be quite an idiot servont about music. The B-sharp.... him hearing the basoon in the imperial march. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll sell you my Fury LP and Varese Club CD for $128.  

Or you can still get your own while they are in stock for $24.95 in the limited 2-disc edition :sigh:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...0702%2D1011%2D2

WhtShark, the $128 was a joke. It's has become a legendary sum of money around these parts.