Did The Academy Nominate the Right Williams Score This Year?

Lurker

Was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban a better choice to nominate than The Terminal?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Last time I watched Pirates of the Carribean I wanted to go into the garage and start hitting myself on the head with a baseball bat. That's more comfortable on the head than listening to that score.

I enjoyed the PotC score. Don't mistake me: IT IS BY NO MEANS REMARKABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, NOR SHOULD IT HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR. That said, I find it somewhat enjoyable, though the track titles are totally messed up. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it was just a fun score, CERTAINLY not one of my favorites, though.

~Sturgis, who is prepared for the reprocussions ;)

Now what are you talking about. You reply to a comment to Pirates, but Passion is the score that was nominated for an Academy Award. :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"POA" is more varied musically, more of the Williams style we all know.

"The Terminal" doesn't have the same variation on its themes or styles. It's a wonderful score as well, but maybe seen as a trifle.

Now being a 2nd sequel its chances of wining are far less than a standalone work.

*Couch* ROTK *cough*

Is there any other sequel to have won?

ROTK was an exception, the kind of year a movie because of his popularity, wins almost all the oscars.

"The Godfather, Part II."

POTA is pirates of the caribbean,

Unless I am mistaken Pirates of The Caribbean is POTC.

Justin - Who could be wrong....

:oops: OH MY GOD.

Luke, ashamed and bewildered of his stupidity.

IS there a movie called POTA? That acronym

sounded so familiar...

Nerd!

Justin

Hello pot, this is kettle.

LOL

Did you get that from Friends?

~Sturgis, who misses it

Never watched Friends, actually. That was a product of my own sick and twisted mind, or so I think.

Since it would appear that Williams participation in the HP films is over (hopefully not though!), can we expect Special Editions of the CDs anytime in the near future?

I think the two scores are incomparable quality-wise, but if you're asking which score would give him a better shot at a win, it'd probably be The Terminal.

http://www.variety.com/ac2005_article/VR11...categoryid=1800

That article sums up the category nicely.

Yeah,it could go to anyone nominated this year... 8O

K.M.

Since it would appear that Williams participation in the HP films is over (hopefully not though!), can we expect Special Editions of the CDs anytime in the near future?

I'm pessimistic on any complete releases of recent scores. We don't even have complete Indy or JP releases yet. 8O

Those are set to be released along the Indiana Jones Trilogy Special Editions c.d.

K.M.

Ebert's prediction surprised me.

I think Ebert has the most pull of any film critic out there; it's probably no mistake that his Oscar predictions came out before the ballots are due.

Jeff -- getting excited at seeing Williams give an acceptance speech thanking someone besides Lucas or Spielberg

Ebert is probably the most famous film critic out there, but in the end of the day he's just a guy voicing his opinion.

He was a good track record when it comes to predicting nominations, but not winners perse.

He predicted Williams would win for the first Potter. 8O

The Terminal is the easily the superior score for me since it consists of less standard mickey mousing (sometimes I have the feeling I'm listening to Prequel music).

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't much mickey mousing in the Azkaban or prequel music. It just sounds like it would be, but when you watch what the scene is, all the busy horn hits are not related to specific actions. But when people fall, the music descends.

Fast, complex patterns and rhythms are not the same as Mickey Mousing.

Besides, Azkaban has motivic action music.

oh its Alex, you have to take his comments about Potter related material with a grain of salt.