"Cute" Moments

Elmo Lewis

Do you know the feeling? In a movie that's just starting, or half-way through if you're not too involved with the story or characters, there's suddenly a tiny little detail that grabs your attention and makes you see the movie with a new-born interest or especial attention. Just a little thing, like a wink, or a little moment, or a face, or a reference... Something you just relate to, or hits close to home in a nice way and makes you connect with the movie you're watching.

Examples of this? Brody's faces being imitated by her daughter on the table in Jaws. Elliott showing his Star Wars toys in E.T., etc. Even in Unbreakable, when Bruce Willis' son is watching TV upside down.

I'd say Spielberg is the master of these moments. Shyamalan used to be good at them, too. And Williams, of course? Can you think of your favorite "cute" moment?

My personal favorite would be the 'Do You Love Me?' song scene from Fiddler in the Roof. I can't get enough of that.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I can't really think of any. There's one fleeting moment in RotJ though that grabs me: the handheld shot following the officers through the corridor into the briefing room on the alliance starship. It's the only time the movie feels real, and it lasts for maybe 2 seconds. Pity.

- Marc

...a tiny little detail that grabs your attention and makes you see the movie with a new-born interest or especial attention. Just a little thing, like a wink, or a little moment, or a face, or a reference... Something you just relate to, or hits close to home in a nice way and makes you connect with the movie you're watching.

Christopher Reeve provides many moments like these in Superman, particularly his nod to the camera at the end of the film.

I also love the way Chewbacca is terrified of the trash-compactor monster. Nice funny little nuance that adds to Chewies personality.

Jeff

I also love the way Chewbacca is terrified of the trash-compactor monster.  Nice funny little nuance that adds to Chewies personality.

Jeff

You know, that would be harsh bashing if it had been made in the prequels.

Luke, who fears chewie is a relentless warrior in EpIII and the purists childhood will be raped again... :roll:

Do you know the feeling? In a movie that's just starting, or half-way through if you're not too involved with the story or characters, there's suddenly a tiny little detail that grabs your attention and makes you see the movie with a new-born interest or especial attention. Just a little thing, like a wink, or a little moment, or a face, or a reference... Something you just relate to, or hits close to home in a nice way and makes you connect with the movie you're watching.

Examples of this? Brody's faces being imitated by her daughter on the table in Jaws. Elliott showing his Star Wars toys in E.T., etc. Even in Unbreakable, when Bruce Willis' son is watching TV upside down.

I'd say Spielberg is the master of these moments. Shyamalan used to be good at them, too. And Williams, of course? Can you think of your favorite "cute" moment?

My personal favorite would be the 'Do You Love Me?' song scene from Fiddler in the Roof. I can't get enough of that.

what version of Jaws did you see?

Brody is a man, not a woman, and he had no daughter in Jaws, and the title of the track from the film is called father and son, the sons name being Sean.

I prefer to think of that as more of a tender scene, but think of the scene in Jaws 2, when Sean says they made me go with them as cute.

... and the black box on wheels mouse thing is the MOST interesting!

That little black box is also the most interesting thing in ROTJ. There is a cute moment with them in that movie which most people seem to miss.

Neil

Do I have to watch RotJ again to find out?

No, I wouldn't ask you to torture yourself.

During the stupid shuttle Tydirium scene, the mouse robot is rolling around and stops as it approaches Vader. Once Vader walks past it, it starts moving again.

Neil

Cute moments

Although this is not a movie i've ever had trouble being involved with. It has a really cute moment after they've taken Aqaba and walk into the Officers Mess. Both Lawrence and the young Arab have just fought a massive battle, braved quicksand, and walk in covered in sand. All the clean cut officers stand in silence as they walk in. Lawrence walks up to the bar and says :

"We'd like 2 glasses....of Lemonade"

:joke: I just LOVE that line :(

I thought about this some more, and I guess with me it aren't really the "cute" or "tender" moments that make me love a film. It's often just little funny or cool things happening in the direction or something like that. For instance:

When I watched Jaws for the second time, about 7 minutes into the picture there's a shot of Brody driving into town. It's a pretty long take and it's a simple tripod pan with the car that comes driving up from the distance and drives by. You won't see that in any of today's film.

With Ghostbusters it's pretty much all of Bill Murray's and Rick Moranis' crazy ad-libbing. It starts right off with the experiment scene at the beginning of the movie. Classic.

In Star Wars it's the look of the interior of the Tantive IV that jumps out to me, and I remember really liking that shot aboard the Falcon where Luke's practicing at the left of the frame and Ben and Han are at the far right. Classic Panavision framing.

I was also really impressed by the framing in Alien. I don't know why, I just have a thing for composition in films.

In Die Hard it's the use of Ode to Joy, the SWAT agent getting hurt on the bushes, and that gust of wind blowing in Alan Rickman's face when the safe opens.

And in Chicken Run it's the whole look of the characters. I mean, what's funnier than chicken with teeth? Yes, chicken with teeth dancing. This film offers both.

- Marc

"You Are the Pan" from Hook and "Fawkes is Reborn" from HP Chamber of Secrets. Neither may be the greatest film ever made, but those moments are entirely redeemed with Williams' beautiful score. The same goes for the Father & Son theme at the end of The Last Crusade when Indy is about to plummet to his death.

Just from seeing this thread's title again, I remembered bits of the "perfect day" montage at the end of A.I. You know, with David's paintings, the funny hairdos Monica does in his hair, etc. Excellent little touches.

And even a movie I found totally uninvolving like Signs, there's the "book money" line that always gets me. Family scenes in Shyamalan films always get to me.

The conversation between Ryan and Miller in "Saving Private Ryan". Ryan talking about his brothers, and Miller about his wife and her roses. A tender moment, which softens the tension before the final battle. :thumbup: