HPCOS - which is Williams' and William's?

Bowie

Is the William Ross material only the parts which are clearly adaptations of Sorcerer's Stone compositions? Or did he write some new original underscore?

I'd just like to get the general consensus on which tracks (in their majority) are fully Williams compositions, besides The Chamber of Secrets and Fawkes the Phoenix.

What do you think? Which tracks are Williams' (list by track # if you wish)?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ross re-arranged some material done by Williams like Introducing Colin was just a variation of Entry Into the Great Hall and Cornies Pixies an arrangement of In the Devil's Snare.

Thanks, well I can hear those similarities too. But the ambiguous "new" underscore is what I'm interested in. The Spiders? Meeting Aragog? Fawkes is Reborn? Dueling the Basilisk? Meeting Tom Riddle?

I'm planning to put "(Adapted by William Ross)" around any cues we as a board do not think John Williams physically composed the majority of.

From what I've read and heard... Chamber of Secrets is all Williams. Ross didn't compose any new music. Can anyone back me up on this one?

-Erik-

King Mark will have a seizure when he reads this! :P

Don't think any of us really know, but i'm inclined to believe that Ross merely conducted and maybe very slightly ellaborated on some of Williams' own compositions.

- Tim. :wave: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino = :angry:

I'm certain that Fawke's Theme was John Williams' own. As far as The Spiders theme, Chamber of Secrets Theme, and Dueling the Basilisk, I'm almost certain that these are John Williams originals too. The Obvious Adaptions would be Cornish Pixies (In the Devil's Snare), Introducing Colin (Entry into the Great Hall), and The Quidditch Match (Actually at one point sounds identical to the flourishes heard in Zam the Assasin and The Chase Through Courscant)...

King Mark will have a seizure when he reads this!  :wave:

:angry:

My own opinion is that William Ross had two jobs:

1. Adapt cues from Sorcerer's Stone for use in the areas of CoS that Williams did not write new music for.

2. Conduct the orchestra.

That's it. Maybe he got some coffee for Williams while he was writing, but that's unconfirmed. :P

Read the cue by cue rundown on film score rundowns by bill wrobel for the full analysis on what cues williams ended up writing or putting together. He studied the scores and the short score himiself and it says who did each cue.

Read the cue by cue rundown on film score rundowns by bill wrobel for the full analysis on what cues williams ended up writing or putting together. He studied the scores and the short score himiself and it says who did each cue.

This is what Bill Wrobel says: "When I looked at the sketches, I discovered that Williams did indeed write all of the music. So what Ross did besides some conducting work, I am not sure. It is possible he adapted some of the cues to the final edit of the film (??) but I do not know."

Here is the link:

http://www.filmscorerundowns.net/williams/...harrypotter.pdf

From what I've read and heard... Chamber of Secrets is all Williams.  Ross didn't compose any new music.  Can anyone back me up on this one?

-Erik-

I heard this too. At first Bill Ross scored most of it - then Williams came back to re do it under the gun.

There's always something in the orchestration that tells me it's Williams all the time.It's not like Shadows of the Empire that "sort" of sounds like Williams.

K.M.

If you look at the CD, it says on the back "Music composed by John Williams". In the liner notes, Chris Columbus make zero mention of Ross' involvement in the material, and credits "JW's new score" congratulating him on a rich tapestry of new themes. It's all John's stuff. Ross simply conducted the music to fit the action and if you listen to a lot of it, it's almost note for note the same (Prologue...) as Philosopher's Stone.

Tim

When the c.d. came out people were speculating cues like Reunion if Friends must have been composed by William Ross.No way.Plus on the DVD,that's the part they show Williams commenting on.

K.M.

When the c.d. came out people were speculating cues like Reunion if Friends must have been composed by William Ross.No way.Plus on the DVD,that's the part they show Williams commenting on.

K.M.

Exactly, and the prolonged closing statement is definitely the classic Williams we all know and love!

- Tim.

K.M.

Exactly, and the prolonged closing statement is definitely the classic Williams we all know and love!

- Tim.

Indeed! That ending almost brings me to tears each time, and that's something no other composer can do for me except John Williams (and I mean NO other composer in the history of mankind LOL)

Wasn't there supposed to be a final, grand statement of Fawke's Theme to round off the film, but Columbus rejected it saying it's not thematically right? I agree with him, but if it was recorded I would LOVE to hear it...

I think it may have been mentioned in Wrobel's score analysis. Unless I'm imagining things, in which case I'm sorry...

EDIT - I read it again, and I'm assuming this could be the "Alt Ending" in the score. Phew, I'm NOT crazy.

If I remember correctly, it was KM who suggested that way back when the analysis posted. I don't know why it would be Fawkes either, but just imagine....I would kill to hear that.

Ray Barnsbury