NEW War Of The Worlds teaser trailer

Sandor

Check the official site. It's nice, but I really wanted to see a little more scope. Perhaps the theatrical trailer will provide more images that truly shine. But as a teaser it's good I guess.

And John Williams is credited on this one :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much enjoyed the trailer. I liked all the expository stuff at the beginning. Its clear that spielberg wants his to be as close to "real life" as possible. I think this is essential because it will make the invasion that much more terrifying. If it works, I think Spielberg could be really on to something here. He could be moving into Hitchcock territory in this film, and I don't mean from the standpoint of suspense, but in regards to the underlying themes of despair and darkness. By making these characters and this world so much like our own, as Spielberg said, it will make the invasion and everything it entails absolutely terrifyingbeyond belief. It would be something horribly tragic, almost unbelievable happening to a world we all know and live in. So many action movies today aren't interested in this. They want to remove you from that world and forget any kind pf plausibility, which is fine and ok. But we can't connect with any human stories or characters. Spielberg, here, seems to be entirely motivated by the human story. This film depends on it I think, and if he pulls it off, I think War of the Worlds will be an utterly fantastic film. I love what I've seen in the trailers so far, especially this last one.

I'm also getting very excited for the score, and I'm so very curious as to what direction Williams will go with it.

Ted

I liked it to, but I disagree with Roald, I hope that Spielberg doesn't give away any money shots, unlike some other directors who has nothing else to show in theirs.

I think Ted makes some good points, but if Koepp's screenplay is lacking, this ambitious attempt at emotional realism (which is not consistently among Spielberg's strong suits) in a genre piece will fall flat on its face. Remember that The Day After Tomorrow also made a similar attempt to emphasize the human drama but with only so-so results.

Screw money shots, this is Spielberg, baby! I liked this trailer a lot. So much that I'm not even going to sift through those quick cuts to see what I might have missed. I'll wait until I'll see the film in theatres. :P

...emotional realism (which is not consistently among Spielberg's strong suits)

You should really see "The Sugarland Express," "Jaws," "Close Encounters," "E.T.," "Empire of the Sun," "Schindler's List "or "Saving Private Ryan" again if you don't think emotional realism is amongst Spielberg's strong suits.

A couple of classic examples:

"Jaws": the beautiful father and son scene. Have come home to my children after bad days, I can tell you that nothing gets more real than the emotion of this scene. It hits home.

"Close Encounters": the Neary family falling apart when Roy has his breakdown in the bath. I don't know if it's just because I came from a jacked up family, but this scene brings tears to my eyes every time, and I bet there are many out there who feel the same.

This new "War" trailer has me very excited about the characters in "War." There is some very tangible character here: Ray is obviously a mess: he couldn't hold it together as a father or a husband, he likely didn't live his dream of working with cars (he tools around with them in his spare time, but he's a dock worker just making ends meet by the looks of the environment he lives in.) My main concern (and hope) is that Koepp delivers on the characters since realistic emotions aren't his strong suit. Give Spielberg the material though, and he's got the chops and he's more than proved it.

He's spent the past month creating ideas on the piano and notating them, for sure, but as for actually "scoring" them, you can bet your bottom invasion-affected dollar that a week after principal photography ends, whenever that is, Spielberg will have edited a draft of the film together and sent it to Willsypoohs.

Anyone know if that's likely already happened? If so, it gives him a full three months to "score" the film properly, before working on the June crossover between War and Geisha, when the latter ends its principal photography.

Principal photography is already completed (over a week ago now), so it's feasible Williams could be starting to get to work if Spielberg and Michael Kahn have sequences already locked in.

8O

:joy:

This looks truly amazing. It kind of has the same format as a theatrical trailer, but I guess it's shorter. It looks very very cool.

"Lightning doesn't strike twice in ---"

It does.

:D

~Sturgis

BTW, Joe I love that quote in your sig, wherever it came from. I can just see Williams saying that with his all-knowing smile.

~Sturgis

Is the quote real, Joe? It's a great quote, but you've been known to put words into the mouths of famous people (and famous people into suitcases). :D

Yes,Joe has posted too much bogus quotes to be trusted.I want a link to whatever interview that was taken from.If it's true than my expections have become even higher.

K.M.Who just sit through The Ten Commandments for the first time in it's entirety.Wait...about one hour left...

From the look of the alien in the trailer Spielberg is going for the futuristic look. I would have stuck with the more organic rustic feel described in the books.

I think Joe took Spielberg's reaction upon hearing bits from the orginal Star Wars score in 1977 (see book George Lucas - The Creative Impulse). Spielberg said that Williams gave away everything he had for Star Wars and Spielberg was worried if Johnny still had something left for Close Encounters. Or something like that.

I guess Joe feels this year mirrors 1977 to a degree. I would agree with him.

Hey guys, John Williams is dead. Yeah sad news indeed, so I guess he won't be able to score WOTW. I read that Trevor Rabin might be on board as the new composer.

Hey guys, John Williams is dead. Yeah sad news indeed, so I guess he won't be able to score WOTW. I read that Trevor Rabin might be on board as the new composer.
You gave me the biggest heart attack. Lying about this is a crime just as taboo as mentioning the name of ... he-who-must-not-be-named.

Don't do it again.

you don't see an alien in the trailer HPfan

Ok what ever it is called, the alien ship, the alien craft.

Are you talking about near the end with the shot of the boat and something rising next to it? If so, I can't tell what the hell that thing is

I like the fact that Spielberg isn't showing us the aliens in WOTW trailers, much like he did in 1993 leading up to Jurassic Park- no full dino shot was aired until after the film was released. I think this is a very good move. I hate being teased by great scenes in trailers and then find out it was a climactic scene. I would rather experience the amazing scenes in the context of the film.

I like the fact that Spielberg isn't showing us the aliens in WOTW trailers, much like he did in 1993 leading up to Jurassic Park- no full dino shot was aired until after the film was released.  I think this is a very good move.  I hate being teased by great scenes in trailers and then find out it was a climactic scene.  I would rather experience the amazing scenes in the context of the film.

*cough*Independence Day*cough*

And I agree 100%. :mrgreen:

Inevitable question: Stock trailer choral music or from some actual score?

Love the trailer, I don't want many money shots, even of destruction, until the actual movie.

And Cruise is working okay for me now.

Inevitable question: Stock trailer choral music or from some actual score?

Love the trailer, I don't want many money shots, even of destruction, until the actual movie.

And Cruise is working okay for me now.

I know the guy who composed the last part of the trailer (with the chorus etc.). So this isn't from the score. Also, Williams hardly began composing yet so it would be a bit soon, unless he was asked to do specific trailer music like on Hook, but this happens very rarely.

Sorry, I didn't mean new score by Williams, there wouldn't be any score on the trailer usually. But often trailers use exciting bits of other composer's scores, if they don't use music by a trailer company.

The choral trailer music is awesome, your friend did a great job!

Greta

The music with the chorus at the end of the trailer is from a company called Immediate Music, which supplies production stock music. They also produce sampler CDs, but I think you need to have a production company to order one...

The specific piece is actually called "Final Omen 2.0"

Tim

PRetty tame for me personally. Looks like 100 other disaster epics.

Sure its Spielberg so it will be better but this does little to get me interested.

It's a Tom Cruise promotional clip. Not a very interesting trailer.

Well Cruise is spotlighted to help generate hype. My main problem is that this looks like 100 other movies where cities get blown up by earthquekes, tornados, aliens, asteroids and what not else?

Show something different Steven?

This movie had better be more than cities blowing up otherwise I am totally passing this deal.

Are we 100% sure John Williams will score this?

Just if someone still doesn't believe that John Williams is working on "War of the Worlds" (aka "Uchu Sensou"):

warjapanese.jpg