The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I like Bonnie Langford, and I like Mel.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Interesting, as seems to often be cited as classic Who's most irritating one.   

Wha'?????!!!!!!!! :o

One word, Sweep: Adric!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

...for this man of a certain age...

How old are you, Sweep?

Don't be shy.

46 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How old are you, Sweep?

Don't be shy.

If "wanting things where they belong" means "old guy" then I've been in my 50's since my 20's. And I can't say it's getting any better now that I AM in my 50's.

Star Wars movies are supposed to come out in MAY.

I probably don't care when Doctor Who is on because as far as I'm concerned Doctor Who comes on at 4:30pm every weekday on PBS.

15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I get that the notion of a scheduled timeslot for a programme might seem like a terribly antiquated idea and yes, a lot of my viewing is via catch-up services these days. But for this man of a certain age there's something nicely comforting about things being where they 'belong', if you like ... especially since a lot of the UK's terrestrial TV programming on a Saturday evening now consists of gameshows and 'reality' talent shows. It's good to have a bit of sci-fi/fantasy like the Doctor in there, like a bit of a 'spanner in the works' (I didn't want to use the phrase 'disruptor', seems to be far too popular with absolute dickheads these days). 

Even in the streaming era, if something drops on a particular day then it becomes ritual viewing for me and many people I know. Monday nights over the past 8 months have been brilliant in our household with the stellar HBO lineup of House of the Dragon, White Lotus, The Last of Us and Succession. It became a regular thing for us to have friends over and have small viewing parties for those shows, and it's something I value quite highly.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I like Bonnie Langford, and I like Mel.

Wha'?????!!!!!!!! :o

One word, Sweep: Adric!!!!!!

How old are you, Sweep?

Don't be shy.

Do you think The Star Beast will continue from the end The Power Of The Doctor because some of Russel T Davies episodes have continued that way or do you think in The Star Beast it will just have a recap or both?

There's a comic strip in Doctor Who Magazine, and (for the first time in its history, its stories are usually 'separate entities') from the TV ones) back in November, the strip picked up directly (it's a Dalek story) from the end of The Power Of The Doctor and it is due to run until the issue before the anniversary specials this November ... presumably the end of it will tie in with the beginning of the specials but probably not to the extent that people who don't read the mag feel left out. 

So, strictly speaking ... the Fourteenth Doctor's first adventure is on the page, as opposed to the screen.        

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ahem (folds arms, and taps foot, irritability)

Really?

May 25th 1977, May 21st 1980, May 25th 1983. And then something something 1999, 2002, 2005. This was unchanged until the coming of the JJ.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I know that, but I was tapping my foot at yet another thread appropriation by Star fucking Wars :lol:

Oh good. Well, sorry about that. Bow ties are cool. Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. One day I shall come back. All that. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

And while we're about it  - Allons-y! Would you like a jelly baby? Geronimo! Brave heart, Tegan. Oh my giddy aunt! Fantastic!  

Don't... don't... don't do that. Ohhhhh I'm sorry. I'm so so SO sorry.

Anyway it passes the timey-wimey.

It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for.

Is this death?

What happened?

Change, my dear, and it seems not a moment too soon.

Where am I, who am I, and who are you?!

Come on, Ace, were leaving. Somewhere in the universe, the tea is getting cold.

Fancy a dance, Brigadier?

That's kind of you, Captain Yates...I'd rather have a pint.

Jenkins? Chap with the wings, there. Five rounds rapid.

Jamie, when I say run, run. Run!

You're right, Jo; there is magic in the world, after all.

You know what, Doctor? You were my Doctor.

To days to come.

All my love to long ago.

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You know what, Doctor? You were my Doctor.

To days to come.

All my love to long ago.

Sniffle. (Because Davison WAS my doctor.)

I will always remember when the Doctor was me.

33 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I will always remember when the Doctor was me.

Matt Smith's delivery of that line plus Murray Gold's music... gets me every time. Perhaps the most beautiful and poignant regeneration.

29 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Matt Smith's delivery of that line plus Murray Gold's music... gets me every time. Perhaps the most beautiful and poignant regeneration.

Tenant and Smith's regenerations are the only ones that made me cry. (Although if you count whatever The Doctor Falls is, then Capaldi too.)

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Peter Davison was, is, and always shall be, my Doctor.

I met him once. But I actually got to have lunch with Colin Baker.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Tell us, all about it.

Tell us...tell us, now!

Um... It was at the 1985 Doctor Who TARDIS 22 in Chicago. They had a lunch and you got to have a table with one of the guests. (I don't recall it being stupidly expensive either.) I was only 16 (!!!) and had only seen a few of his episodes (at the convention, actually). Nice fellow. He was having a good time playing the Doctor and we talked about the TARDIS console and the fact that most of the buttons on the "new" (post Five Doctors) console didn't actually move.

"Guests include Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Janet Fielding, Louise Jameson, Elisabeth Sladen, Mark Strickson, Sarah Sutton, Terry Walsh, Lalla Ward, John Nathan-Turner"

So I have a photo of Jon Pertwee vandalized by Partrick Troughton. It's in a fairly well autographed copy of Doctor Who - A Celebration. That was a hell of a weekend. I actually bought a ton of Star Trek stuff at the dealer's room. :)

I got to see Baker again briefly at an appearance in Arizona in 1987. We got the news on the same day that Baker was fired and that Troughton had died. He was very gracious to us but obviously and understandably upset about the state of events. I was dumb enough to ask him about coming back for the 30th anniversary. (Which of course, we never got to.) He said politely and firmly he didn't think he "would be in the mood".

• 2 weeks later...

May be an image of coffee cup and text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

Bit of merch I treated myself to. The packaging has the Whittaker era version of the logo, so I don't think it was meant as a 60th anniversary thing ... but then the back of it kinda does make it count as same, I think.   

Saw on-set pics of Gatwa and Bonnie Langford on a scooter, and he's in yet another outfit. 

I'm wondering how much of the 'signature' outfit we're actually going to see. Am also wondering if this Doctor is more of a cool 'fashion plate' type, will there be no kinda 'geeky goofball' side to him? A shame, if so. 

5 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

What do you think of Murray Gold doing a different opening theme for each episode?

I wouldn't mind that, but it might away from his time to write proper underscore and lead to more tracking.

Of course Gold will do a new arrangement of the theme (maybe even a new one for the anniversary specials and then another for Gatwa's first series) but a different one each episode seems unlikely.  

" A while back – quite a while back – Russell hinted that he wanted “the 2006 theme tune but bigger, with more piano”. I mention this to Murray, whose eyes widen as he reaches for a pencil. “Oh, I’m glad you told me,” he says, pretending to make notes. Wait, he is making notes. “Must… rewrite… theme… That’s it, yup,” he laughs, “you’ve got it. Rumbled.” He’s teasing us, isn’t he?

“What I would say is, we might be talking about more than one main theme. I don’t see why it can’t be a different one every week.’ He’s definitely teasing us."

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I wouldn't mind that, but it might away from his time to write proper underscore and lead to more tracking.

Yeah, they started doing that in Tennant's later episodes and now they have three series and a load of specials' worth of his music. There may be a temptation to reuse some of that if they're going for Tennant nostalgia. One of Smith's specials albums even released a track that's entirely tracked from series 7 because it filled a narrative hole.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't know about Gould, but Murray Gold is definitely returning :lol:

Sorry... My brain got mixed up with Morton Gould. My bad.

And that's good news! Murray did some stellar work!

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Let's not forget the fantastic arrangement, and conducting, by JWfan's very own Anne Dudley. 

Possibly the most joyous few minutes on the entire internet.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Bill Bailey is a genius.

English:

It's him, in the night
Doctor Who
He travels in the TARDIS, the fantastic space phone box
The inside is much bigger than the outside
And that is the mystery of the Doctor Who
The enemy, his name is Davros
Captain of the Daleks
He's half Dalek and half man — amazing!
He wants to control the world
Always control the world
He gets up in the morning, he wants to control the world
After breakfast, he wants to control the world
But he never controls the world!
It is not very realistic
With the Daleks, the Doctor is Superior
Exterminate yourself! Exterminate Yourself Again!
Ah, damn it! We are lost! Uh!
The doctor won, he laughs
"Ha, ha, ha! I won because I am Doctor Who!"

You forgot the bit about The Daleks not being able to go upstairs.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

He's half Dalek and half man.

Wrong.

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Here's an arrangement that's definitely 'different', courtesy of comedian Bill Bailey. 

I love this routine, it's where I got my username from!

Bill Bailey should've been in more Who. He was wasted in that Christmas special (the only Moffat ep I haven't rewatched, it was so bad) - I'd have loved him in a Nardole-like companion role.