What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Saw Flightplan this afternoon and enjoyed it up until the last act of the film. I'll keep it to myself for now as I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet. As for the music, Horner's score wasn't bad at all. Granted I am no expert on him, but it was decent. Most of it throughout the film was more or less mood setting music that seemed appropriate and effective. Thankfully there were no cues or themes that stood out like a sore thumb enough to distract me from the film itself. Actually,I must say that the music in the second to last scene was quite good and for me was definitely the best part of the score .

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw THE RING TWO Friday nite on DVD. What a load of shite! About as scary as George Hamilton's tan.

Hitch, who is totally immune to the so-called horror movies of today.

Ghostbusters II is as good a film as the first one.

The only good thing about Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II is Sigourney Weaver.

Hitch, who has yet to cast Siggie babe in his movies. She's sooooo finnnneeeee. :)

Saw THE RING TWO Friday nite on DVD.  What a load of shite!  About as scary as George Hamilton's tan.

I warned everyone about this movie a few pages back.

Also saw Corpse Bride

Weird weird movie

I can't wait to see this one. Looks fantastic.

I still don't know when it's gonna be released here, but I hope it's soon. I just can't wait.

Also saw Corpse Bride

Weird weird movie

I can't wait to see this one. Looks fantastic.

I still don't know when it's gonna be released here, but I hope it's soon. I just can't wait.

Spanish release date is October 28th.

Psycho's shower scene is still the scariest thing on film.

~Sturgis

You obviously haven't seen many Ashton Kutcher movies.

Neil

As for the music, Horner's score wasn't bad at all. Granted I am no expert on him, but it was decent.

I'm going to apply that to a film I saw on DVD this weekend: "The Forgotten." Pretty good first third, then it segues weirdly into X-Files territory and stays there without going back to the great emotion of the first act. But as far as Horner's music, I enjoyed his main theme. And the chase music had a non-obtrusive quality to it.

Of course, no danger theme in there, and no bagpipes. :)

I haven't seen "Flightplan" yet, but it sounds like Horner is going through a turning point himself.

I found it (The Forgotten) dull and distracting from the (awful) movie. It was worse than Troy, which at least didn't make the movie worse (albeit it didn't help it either). Despite my being annoyed with many of Horner's score from the past years, I used to think he at least always writes music that supports the movie - until these two, that is.

Marian - :)

I Confess. I would put that up there as one Hitchcock's most underappreciated films. Fantastic photography, particularly in the opening sequence. If I didn't know any better old friend, I'd say The Third Man was of great inspiration. Good score from Tiomkin, but I can't help but wonder what Herrmann could have come up with.

Poor Alma.....

I Confess. I would put that up there as one Hitchcock's most underappreciated films. Fantastic photography, particularly in the opening sequence. If I didn't know any better old friend, I'd say The Third Man was of great inspiration. Good score from Tiomkin, but I can't help but wonder what Herrmann could have come up with.

Poor Alma.....

You, of all people, should know the dangers of reopening old wounds. :)

While i was in Melbourne, i saw the new Charlie & The Chocolate Factory movie. Good movie. The only good actor in the movie was Johnny Depp.

CRASH (2005). Serious contender for Best Picture 2005 in my opinion. I hope it wins!

Hitch, who thoroughly enjoyed this picture.

For me, the brilliance is to be found in how emotionally charged the film is and how it makes one think about other cultures from another point of view.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

My favorite of the Potter flicks. Hurray for the (near) abscence of cheese!

This film features my favorite depiction of the Potter world, but I still don't feel they got it quite right. I know the material's dark, but practically every scene is dark and gloomy. Hogwarts doesn't feel exactly like a cheery place here, does it?

Biggest gripe of course remains the omitting of the Marauders subplot. I do hope they'll get around to it in a later film, but quite frankly, I doubt they'll find a place for it.

Love the score. And the little easter eggs during the end credits. Check out the dancing guy at Williams' credit. :music:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

My favorite of the Potter flicks. Hurray for the (near) abscence of cheese!

This film features my favorite depiction of the Potter world, but I still don't feel they got it quite right. I know the material's dark, but practically every scene is dark and gloomy. Hogwarts doesn't feel exactly like a cheery place here, does it?

Biggest gripe of course remains the omitting of the Marauders subplot. I do hope they'll get around to it in a later film, but quite frankly, I doubt they'll find a place for it.

Love the score. And the little easter eggs during the end credits. Check out the dancing guy at Williams' credit. :music:

:eek::):)

~Sturgis

I know the material's dark, but practically every scene is dark and gloomy. Hogwarts doesn't feel exactly like a cheery place here, does it?

Well, with Sirius on the loose and Dementors surrounding the school, I would imagine that no one has the desire to run to the hills to sing "The Sound of Music."

And what easter egg are you talking about with the dancing man?

Agreed. It may still be flawed compared to the novel (what isn't), but as a Potter movie, it's as close to perfection as I think they'll ever get.

Marian - hoping GOF will still be the 2nd best. :)

:music: Ben-Hur (Miklos Rozsa)

It may still be flawed compared to the novel (what isn't), ...

Well, you shouldn't compare two different media in the first place since both are using different means to communicate. Just like you can't compare sculpture with painting. But I understand what you mean, Marian. Many movies seem nothing more than the visual synopsis of the literary work they are based on. With these movies you can't help but feel that you actually should be reading the novel instead.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know the material's dark, but practically every scene is dark and gloomy. Hogwarts doesn't feel exactly like a cheery place here, does it?

Well, with Sirius on the loose and Dementors surrounding the school, I would imagine that no one has the desire to run to the hills to sing "The Sound of Music."

Well no, but a little sunshine now and then would've helped. Everything's wet and drab. Even when they do get out in the sun it still looks bleak.

And what easter egg are you talking about with the dancing man?

Watch the little feet.

Well no, but a little sunshine now and then would've helped. Everything's wet and drab. Even when they do get out in the sun it still looks bleak.

Well, it does take place in England...

CRASH (2004).  Serious contender for Best Picture 2004 in my opinion.  I hope it wins!

Hitch, who thoroughly enjoyed this picture.

Glad to hear it.

Almost Famous. Not as good as the first time but still still pretty good.

I adore the movie.

Well, you shouldn't compare two different media in the first place since both are using different means to communicate. Just like you can't compare sculpture with painting.

That's what I said, basically.

But I understand what you mean, Marian. Many movies seem nothing more than the visual synopsis of the literary work they are based on. With these movies you can't help but feel that you actually should be reading the novel instead.

That's the main difference between the first two Potters and the third one. The earlier ones are merely nice, enjoyable book retellings (COS in particular, which often seems like loosely connected scenes from the book - all very good, but they don't all go together), while POA really does take on a life of its own.

A very different case is Fight Club. Reading the novel after seeing the movie nearly seems pointless. Not because it's bad (it certainly isn't), but because the movie is so good and complete, the book (except for one or two scenes, one of which was filmed but cut I believe, and a different ending) really isn't any different.

Marian - who hasn't watched FC in a long time. :wave:

Agreed. It may still be flawed compared to the novel (what isn't), but as a Potter movie, it's as close to perfection as I think they'll ever get.

Upon repeated viewings and readings of the film and book, respectvly, I find that the film has more improvments on the book than detractions. The book is written in a very simaler style to the first two. Notice I'm talking about writing style not plot and characters. As opposed to the film with presents such a wholesome and overall refreshing vision that I often times think that I prefer the film to the book. In anycase I think there are countless improvments from the book that appear in the film that I'm willing to forgive it's minor faults.

Goblet of Fire while it looks very exiting and well done doesn't seem to have the originality of style that PoA did. (Even from the trailers of the two.) Sometimes I think that GoF is starting to look like Gladiator in the magical world. (Probably because of the abysmal musical choices for the trailers.) I still look forward to it and it could definatly be the best yet. We'll see. :wave:

Justin

Goblet of Fire while it looks very exiting and well done doesn't seem to have the originality of style that PoA did. (Even from the trailers of the two.) Sometimes I think that GoF is starting to look like Gladiator in the magical world. (Probably because of the abysmal musical choices for the trailers.) I still look forward to it and  it could definatly be the best yet. We'll see. :)

I kind of know what you mean, but that might be due to the much more grandios and epic nature of the fourth. Indeed, we'll see. :)

~Sturgis

Irreversable. Shocking!

Good, bad or neither here nor there?

Morlock- who found it shocking, but was rather dissapointed that there was little behind the desire to shock

Heartbeeps. Thankfully it was only an hour and fifteen minutes long. Already have the score, so I can't really say that redeemed it in any way for me.

Irreversable. Shocking!

Good, bad or neither here nor there?

Morlock- who found it shocking, but was rather dissapointed that there was little behind the desire to shock

Well, I'm not sure if that's true. I mean, there's a balance in the movie. It shows the two sides of mankind and the realism of its portrayal is pretty high (even though one might wish that it's not). If you want to find something else behind "the desire to shock", I believe you have to look in this direction. Also, through its direction, the film asks the audience a difficult and inescapable question: "What would you have done?" It confronts you with yourself.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The movie lost me in the scene at the club at the begining, which I think was just shocking for the sake of shocking. That was so revolting, so unsettling, and for no real reason, as opposed to the rape scene, which was shocking and unsettling, but was shown for a reason, obviously. After that scene, my involvment level did pick up, but it was too little too late. By the time I was ready to trust the movie not freak me out for no reason, it was nearly over, and I left the movie thinking it is shocking, unsettling and poignant, in an obvious way. The main thing I was left with was rape is a terrible thing. I knew that.

Chicago. I really, really liked it this time around. I never disliked it, but I really thought it was fantastic this time around. It is an expertly crafted film, with breathtaking choreography. The casting and performances are all very good, and the dialogue flows very well with the songs. ***1/2 out of ****.

The movie lost me in the scene at the club at the begining, which I think was just shocking for the sake of shocking. That was so revolting, so unsettling, and for no real reason, as opposed to the rape scene, which was shocking and unsettling, but was shown for a reason, obviously.

I see it as a vital part to the story (it has its reasons, one is obvious, some are less obvious) and it was meant to shock. Heck, "shock" is already a reason by itself. And boy, did it shock, apparently many people left the theater during the first scene. I too had trouble not diverting my eyes. Technically, the opening scene is a part of the reversed storytelling which goes from turbulent to calm.

The main thing I was left with was rape is a terrible thing. I knew that.

Well, I know the Holocaust is a terrible thing also. It's a rape scene unlike anything seen before. It shows how terrible it really is and it doesn't fail in its depiction. Believe it or not, there are many people out there who don't fully realize what a rape is.

I didn't mean to belittle it, but I'm saying, the rape scene is the only thing that I left the theater with. I'm sure it knocked some sense into guys who rented a movie to see some hot chick getting raped. But for me at least, what came before was too extreme, and what came after was too tame a concept to hold up to the affecting central scene.

... and what came after was too tame a concept to hold up to the affecting central scene.

I thought they were as "imprinting" as the violent scenes. By displaying the other side of mankind they represent the "balance" (otherwhise man is evil and nothing but evil). We go back to the state of "unbroken". But they have another function as well, it tries to reverse the irreversable. Actually, the film already does what anyone in the same situation will hope to do. It tries to undo the course of disaster. Perhaps it is in this stage that the film is telling us that we can take steps to prevent evil and take measurements.

If nothing else, the film makes a lot of people "think" and discuss its themes.

----------------

Alex Cremers

And boy, did it shock, apparently many people left the theater during the first scene.

This is the reason why, from IMDb:

The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction.

I watched the movie at home on my surround sound, and I was feeling nauseous without knowing why (the visuals weren't the reason).

I loved the movie. The reverse editing works because it makes us wonder what drove a man to do something so shocking, so violent, so memorable. If it had been done chronologically, we would have said, "Well, duh, I would have done the same thing" when we get to the club scene. As it is, the rape and the love scenes in the apartment at the end (as well as the fascinating conversation on the train) make us feel for all three characters and what they feel they had to do.

Yes, it was meant to shock. But the shock at the beginning should have, I think, changed to sympathy and compassion. Here's this lovely couple who lead enriched lives. And then the rape happens. I think the people who are often victims of rape or other crimes often lead lives like this couple, and Gaspar Noe does a great job of showing that no one is immune to the horrors of the world, no matter how hard they try.

Coincidentally, today (Sept. 30) is Monica Bellucci's birthday.

Jeff -- who's trying to get a friend to make it through the whole movie

A History of Violence

One of the most vividly violent movies I've ever seen. Mortensen was great, and William Hurt's performance late in the movie is one of my favorites. Shore's score I liked more as the movie went along and I really liked it when the movie ended but I'm still deciding whether to buy the soundtrack or not.

Good flick!

Max