What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

The film is good, but It really looks like they shipped a wet print.

The editing could have been tightened up in places, especially the gold heist.

I'd like to hear a proper CD release of this one day, there is some good music, especially the subway sequence.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The film is good, but It really looks like they shipped a wet print.

How do you mean?

The editing could have been tightened up in places, especially the gold heist.

I think that sequence, while maybe having some less interesting sections, is all in all, a very successful sequence. But it certainly has it's excess fat- like the fight with Targo on the boat, the reservoir scene was a bit too long, the Yankee stadium scene, but I think that all in all, the film flows very well.

Star Trek - Nemesis. A film that has very high sights but falls short a considerable measure. The idea of an opposite for Picard is an intriguing one and ironically it's the films biggest fault. The problem is that I don't buy the fact that Tom Hardy is a young Picard. Stuart Baird talks about avoiding somebody that doesn't look like Patrick Stewart and yet other than being bald, Hardy doesn't really look a thing like Stewart. Without us believing that Hardy is Picard he becomes nothing more than a flimsy villain that has no depth.

Another fault with the film is it's horribly weak screenplay. I'm not sure what John Logan is a "huge fanatic" of but it isn't the Star Trek I've been watching. Either that or he was on acid when he watched it. The script tries to be huge and grand but there are so many minor inconsistances and several gaping holes of logic that it really doesn't go anywhere fast. The film is much like a boat with a hole in the bottom. It just keeps sinking and no matter how hard and fast you paddle you really aren't going to go anywhere.

No keep in mind. I still like the film more than other people. It's entertaining in a brainless way and there are several good scenes. The space battle is fun and it's production values are decent. The score is spectacular and it's good to see the cast again. I think I'd probably enjoy it more knowing that it wasn't the last TNG film. Still, it's not the worst Trek and it fills up 2 hours.

Justin

Serenity

Cool

Max

Just for the record, I will not be seeing this film.

I saw Cinderella Man. Worked on me. First boxing film I've seen that I've really liked. Russell Crowe just keeps on giving us these amazing performances, and as far as I'm concerned, this is his best yet. On one level, I never forgot that I was watching Crowe. However, concurrently, I totally believed this characer. Not not a single syllable struck me as false. I find it quite amazing that he is able to portray such a good natured character (heck, a perfect natured character) in such an utterly believable fashion, without ever going into schmaltzy or unbelievable areas. There is schmaltz in the movie (heck, the whole movie is a kind of schmaltz), but that's mostly in Zelwegger's character, who has the second horrendous line from a 2005 featuring the word 'heart' ("So you just remember who you are... you're the Bulldog of Bergen, and the Pride of New Jersey, you're everybody's hope, and the kid's hero, and you are the champion of my heart, James J. Braddock."), the first being the RoTS one.

Paul Giamatti is wonderful here. Fantastic work. And I can't help but smile whenever I see Bruce McGill on screen, I don't know why.

I think it is best summed up by the current review over on the imdb- "This is a terrific underdog tale told warmly by Howard and his cast, and for all its imperfections, it does one thing right: it puts a smile on your face". I can't argue too much for this being a well made film, but the movie struck emotionaly, and I was with it every step fo the way. I was into those fights as much as any of the audience in the film, and if I was a crier, I probably would've cried when Crowe goes to the club and begs for money (and Giamatti's line at the end).

Oh, the sets and cotumes were extremely convincing, the cinematography was not bad at all (though there were a few scenes that could've used good old Roger's touch), and the score was very good.

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Wonderful film! It had me laughing from start to finish. I was a little concerned that the characters might not be able to sustain a full length film (they are so perfect in the 30 minute format!) but my fears were unfounded. The film has all the whimsy, excitement, pathos, and humour of the shorts and is certainly my favourite film of the year so far. I can't wait to see it again!

Probably because he didn't watch/like the series.

Justin - Who never watched it. (By the way the film is utterly bombing. Just FYI. :D )

Never watched the series, the trailer makes the film look like a very bad sci fi movie with a healthy sense of humor, not enough of a draw for me to see it, as I am not a very big fan of sci fi as a genre.

When I first saw that trailer I thought all the actors looked like TV actors. They all looked a bit too pretty (both the women AND the men) and the acting seemed very unrealistic, more so than most movies. It came as no surprise when my friend leaned over and told me it was based on a TV show. The cast looks a bit too much like the Starship Troopers cast.

I watched Beverly Hills Cop last night.  Still a funny movie.

Neil

Funny how?

Hitch, who failed to see the humor.

Funny how?  

Hitch, who failed to see the humor.

Now listen my tough little friend, I don't know from what stone you crawled, or where you get these ideas about me, but it seems painfully obvious that you don't have the slightest fucking idea who you are dealing with. So My advice to you is why don't you crawl back to your little stone in Detroit before you get squashed.

Get the fuck outta 'ere.

You dirty dirty boy. That whore down at the motel has been teaching you bad words hasn't she?Kill her, kill her now Norman.

Get the fuck outta 'ere.

You dirty dirty boy. That whore down at the motel has been teaching you bad words hasn't she?Kill her, kill her now Norman.

Go play with your marbles in the corner, Orson.

Star Trek - Nemesis. A film that has very high sights but falls short a considerable measure. The idea of an opposite for Picard is an intriguing one and ironically it's the films biggest fault. The problem is that I don't buy the fact that Tom Hardy is a young Picard. Stuart Baird talks about avoiding somebody that doesn't look like Patrick Stewart and yet other than being bald, Hardy doesn't really look a thing like Stewart. Without us believing that Hardy is Picard he becomes nothing more than a flimsy villain that has no depth.

Another fault with the film is it's horribly weak screenplay. I'm not sure what John Logan is a "huge fanatic" of but it isn't the Star Trek I've been watching. Either that or he was on acid when he watched it. The script tries to be huge and grand but there are so many minor inconsistances and several gaping holes of logic that it really doesn't go anywhere fast. The film is much like a boat with a hole in the bottom. It just keeps sinking and no matter how hard and fast you paddle you really aren't going to go anywhere.

No keep in mind. I still like the film more than other people. It's entertaining in a brainless way and there are several good scenes. The space battle is fun and it's production values are decent. The score is spectacular and  it's good to see the cast again. I think I'd probably enjoy it more knowing that it wasn't the last TNG film. Still, it's not the worst Trek and it fills up 2 hours.

Justin

All I can say is "Roll on STAR TREK: VOYAGER - THE MOTION PICTURE". Complete with Jerry's 10 hour version of the Main theme.

Joy Ride

A very bad rip off of Duel. The only good part was when Steven Zahn and Paul Walker stipped naked and showed their cute asses.

Joy Ride

A very bad rip off of Duel. The only good part was when Steven Zahn and Paul Walker stipped naked and showed their cute asses.

Steef and I enjoyed that little romp (no not our cute asses) at the Empire Cinema, Leicester Square, London. Only the movie was called ROADKILL.

Hitch, who hopes to see a Dutch movie in December.

Hitch, who hopes to see a Dutch movie in December.

Why?

So can catapult my x-large tub of buttered popcorn (with mayo) at the screen and roar VERHOEVEN SUCKS!

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Wonderful film! It had me laughing from start to finish. I was a little concerned that the characters might not be able to sustain a full length film (they are so perfect in the 30 minute format!) but my fears were unfounded. The film has all the whimsy, excitement, pathos, and humour of the shorts and is certainly my favourite film of the year so far. I can't wait to see it again!

Cracking! :thumbup:

I hope to get to the theater this weekend to catch "W&G." I love the shorts, and I too wondered if they could still be funny past 30 minutes. Looks like they can.

Anyway, I watched "Pleasantville." I didn't like it that much seven years ago, and now I remember why. The plots that get resolved aren't fully completed. And many of the character arcs are never fully rounded. Plus, there are two big questions I had at the end that would have been easily answered in two minutes. But instead we got a Fiona Apple song (how anachronous).

But I always love Joan Allen. And William H. Macy was perfect. Tobey Maguire still makes me throw up in my mouth.

Crimson Tide. A tight thriller about a breakdown in the chain of command aboard a Nuclear Submarine. The two main actors are wonderful in their prospective roles. The best thing about this film is it's well written screenplay. Everything seems natural nothing is forced. The opening 20 minutes are the best as the subtle disagreements between the Captain and XO build up. The scene in the con between Hackman and Washington is beautifully written slowly building in intensity. Viggo Mortenson has a great role in the film. The score is utterly fantastic in the film. On album it can be a little slow but it complements the film in everyway.

If there is one thing that I would say against the film is the somewhat weak motivation for Captain Ramsey to go to such great odds to fire the nuclear weapons. Still a great film. 4.5/5

Justin

You've got to realize that when Gene Hackman won his second Oscar as the psychotic sheriff Little Bill in UNFORGIVEN, most if not all of his subsequent performances are either about a bad man or evil man or old man with a bad past or old man with a bad past on death row or bad man with a bad past with jury rigging skills or bad navy captain with a trigger-happy pinkie.

Tobey Maguire still makes me throw up in my mouth.

How could anyone not like Tobey's outstanding performance as Homer Wells in THE CIDER HOUSE RULES or his perfect casting in RIDE WITH THE DEVIL, THE ICE STORM and WONDER BOYS? I'm open to suggestions.

Hitch

Crimson Tide. A tight thriller about a breakdown in the chain of command aboard a Nuclear Submarine. The two main actors are wonderful in their prospective roles. The best thing about this film is it's well written screenplay. Everything seems natural nothing is forced. The opening 20 minutes are the best as the subtle disagreements between the Captain and XO build up. The scene in the con between Hackman and Washington is beautifully written slowly building in intensity. Viggo Mortenson has a great role in the film. The score is utterly fantastic in the film. On album it can be a little slow but it complements the film in everyway.

If there is one thing that I would say against the film is the somewhat weak motivation for Captain Ramsey to go to such great odds to fire the nuclear weapons. Still a great film. 4.5/5

I'm sorry but Das Boot is a great film, Crimson Tide is a great popcorn treat (actually, skip the great, it's just a very good popcorn treat).

----------------

Alex Cremers

How could anyone not like Tobey's outstanding performance as Homer Wells in THE CIDER HOUSE RULES or his perfect casting in RIDE WITH THE DEVIL, THE ICE STORM and WONDER BOYS? I'm open to suggestions.

Hitch

I'm with you here. I thought Tobey was great in Wonder Boys.

You've got to realize that when Gene Hackman won his second Oscar as the psychotic sheriff Little Bill in UNFORGIVEN, most if not all of his subsequent performances are either about a bad man or evil man or old man with a bad past or old man with a bad past on death row or bad man with a bad past with jury rigging skills or bad navy captain with a trigger-happy pinkie.

He was kind of nasty as Senator Kevin Keeley in The Birdcage. :)

He was kind of nasty as Senator Kevin Keeley in The Birdcage. :)

Just to see Hackman in white drag was worth the price of admission alone. :)

Hitch, moving ever so slowly to WE ARE FAMILY.

Whenever I think of that movie, the first scene that comes to mind is when Williams is trying to show Lane how to be a "man". That girlish scream Lane lets out when he gets high fived is killer.

"You know, I used to feel that way too until I found out that Alexander the Great was a fag. Talk about gays in the military!"

Hitch

I can. Especially "The Cider House Rules."

Oh, great. Now, you've done it.

:)

It probably is. It's my favorite Redford movie, at least.

Really? Better than Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or The Sting, or even The Natural?

It probably is. It's my favorite Redford movie, at least.

Really? Better than Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or The Sting, or even The Natural?

We're talking movies that are directed by Redford. Of course, it's not better than The Sting. What is?

I'm sorry but Das Boot is a great film, Crimson Tide is a great popcorn treat (actually, skip the great, it's just a very good popcorn treat).

Yup, on both counts. For my money, Das Boot is by far the greatest sub movie ever, followed by The Hunt for Red October. Crimson Tide is a distant third, and that's all the sub movies I'll ever need. And no, for the record, I have yet to see Run Silent, Run Deep.

Quiz Show. This film is one of the (few) hidden treasures of the 90s. It's Redford's best, fellas.

Brilliant script and performances, but something about the movie always made it seem dangerously Hallmarky. I'm not sure what it is, but it always bothered me. Never the less, I think it's a really fine movie.

I just saw "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Probably the best flawed film I've seen this year. Truthfully, I thought it was going to be more unbiased, in the sense that the film makers were not going to choose a side, and leave her possession to be up for opinion. But they didn't end up treating it like that. There were scenes that were leaning too far ino "The Exorcist" territory. That film picked sides, this one shouldn't have. It presented an argument, both sides, and they should have left it at that. But I walked out feeling like they missed a great opportunity.

Tim

Saw Hotel Rwanda. A very good and important film. The film helped me grasp the extent of the genocide that went on there, which is something I only knew about in passing (and didn't care about it much, either).

I think Don Cheadle and the actress playing his wfie gave very good performances. I have problem with their characters, but there's no reason to bring them up.

Nolte was an excellent choice for Olivier, IMO, and Jean Reno, Juoaqin Phoenix and the guy playing the reporter all had a serious impact on the film, when most people would probably have made them into just a small vignette.

I think the film would've benefited from a better score (and to be specific, a more consistant score).

But at the end of the day, a very good, important film.

Saw Hotel Rwanda. A very good and important film. The film helped me grasp the extent of the genocide that went on there,

No film can really make you grasp that.

Schindlers Lists fails to make one grasp the full extent of the holocaust.

Apocalypse Now cannot truly portay the mess that was Vietman.

But it's important that people try to though.