What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

You can always get the new DVD release of the 1959 movie that comes with the 1925 version and the Davis score, to watch the chariot race at home. Focussing on the timpanists was the right choice.

Marian - wondering if he should write to the Konzerthaus and suggest this for one of their next "Film+Musik Live" seasons.

:) Ben-Hur (Carl Davis)

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Rigley Snott's THE DUELLISTS last night. What a beautifully crafted movie and what utter :) DVD did have an isolated score by Howard Blake. Utterly forgettable.

Hitch, tired of Hollywood and setting his sights and chins on Bollywood.

The Sixth Sense. *** out of ****. I enjoyed the film as it was going on, I think it is a well told tale. The film, however, has no point to it, no resonance. It is a ghost story, plain and simple, with a moral to it that only applies if you are a child who belives in ghosts. I used to not like the twist, but now I realize that it is necassery, or else one would forget the film as soon as he left the theater. But still, the film is very interesting as it goes on. I don't see what's so great about JNH's score- it is definately and by far the worst of his Shyamalan scores.

Vera Drake. Excellent, excellent, Mike Leigh film. The way he paints a portrait of these characters is spellbinding in the best way. It is just pure drama, no funny stuff. Not an ounce of melodrama to be found. Imalda Staunton gives a striking performance that for my money is far more impressive than Hillary Swank's turn last year. And, like in all Leigh's films, the supporting cast is just perfect. In particular, I loved her husband, who decides to stand by her even though he is hurt that she didn't tell him and that he doesn't agree with her actions, her brother in law, who idolizes her, and the detective, who gives the police an uncommonly human face- he won't bend the rules for anything, but you can see in his tone, in his expression, that he is full of sympathy for Vera. And it's nice to see a familiar face with Allan Corduner and Jim Broadbent, Leigh's Gilbert and Sullivan, who are very effective in their cameos.

I haven't seen too many of Leigh's films, but this is definately my favorite after Secrets and Lies.

really looking forward to Nolan's next film about magicians

Yeah, this really sounds like a fantastic project. And it's got Bale, Bale, Bale....

Morlock- who rented The Machinist, and plans on seeing it today

Did you get to see the extra features on the DVD?

Navigating that disc is a nightmare. I only bought the 2 disc set because Amazon had it for the same price as the single disc, but going through disc 2 is a pain. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate menus!!!!!! I turend this disc off after a few minutes and probably will never look at it again.

I watched the movie last night though, and still enjoyed it. My sister missed it in the theater, so this was her first time to see it. She also liked it.

Neil

About time they got a Batman film right. Nolan's next will star Bale and Jackman (Batman and Wolverine), and after that, he's moving to the Batman sequel.

I saw "The One", The Constant Gardener. I thought it was very good, though rather less momentous than I had expected. It was an excellent conspiratorial thriller with meaningful, though provoking message, but I was expecting more.

But, expectations aside, I really liked it. The different threads running through the plot were all very well done and very satisfying, and I think that's already an achievment, where you have a story about a guy chasing a conspiracy and the same guy making huge discoveries about her wife, and both are equally potent, and the fact that each thread is strong on it's own right lends weight to other thread.

The acting is uniformely excellent. Fiennes and Weisz especialy, but I also thought the supporting actors were great. Danny Huston was lacking a bit of villainy, but I thought he was fine as a bit of a sap. Bill Nighy is great, I wuld'nt have thought of him for that kind of part. Donald Sumter and Gerard McSorley add great color, and Pete Postlethwaite is always great.

I liked the look of the film, the feel of the film, and the music. ***1/2 out of ****.

Saw The Machinist, as promised. Now this is a rarity. I often see films that I like as they're going on but an dissapointed by dumb point to the movie, or by the fact that there is no point at all. This film was the opposite. I did not like it as it was going on. It was uncomfortable, and I very annoying in that it didn't give me any idea as to what it was about. But the last 20 minutes drew me in more and more, and I was left with a very fullfilling and life-affirming moral, when the rest of the movie was not very nurishing and very bleak. And that made all the difference in the world. I thought I would hate the film when it was over, I was thinking about stopping it. But now, having seen what it was all about, I whole-heartedly recommend it. This is a good and satisfying film experience (and I stress the experience part).

I can't add anything new about Christian Bale- he, quite simply, is this movie. Others have said more eloquently why this is so, you can check any other review for that. This is just goes on short list of notable performances.

I loved seeing Michael Ironside get a role that is not a villain in the 90's.

I don't get what the big friggin' deal is with the score. It's ok. It has some particulaly good parts and some particulaly inapropriate parts. It's Herrmannesque- but that don't make it a good score. It's effective, and a total bore on CD. Most overrated soundtrack in a long time, maybe since Cutthroat Island.

And me and my friends followed the film by watching three Simpsons episodes from the magical 5th season, one of the finest seasons of television ever produced (We saw 'Homer's Barbershop Quartet', 'Cape Feare' and 'Homer goes to College')

Glad you enjoyed the Machinist, Morlock. I also enjoyed it very much.

I understand your remarks towards the score, but I would hardly call it overrated, since I don't think many people have even heard it, much less be praising it. But it's quite a good score, IMHO, and a great listening experience on cd.

Saw The Machinist, as promised. Now this is a rarity. I often see films that I like as they're going on but an dissapointed by dumb point to the movie, or by the fact that there is no point at all. This film was the opposite. I did not like it as it was going on. It was uncomfortable, and I very annoying in that it didn't give me any idea as to what it was about. But the last 20 minutes drew me in more and more, and I was left with a very fullfilling and life-affirming moral, when the rest of the movie was not very nurishing and very bleak. And that made all the difference in the world. I thought I would hate the film when it was over, I was thinking about stopping it. But now, having seen what it was all about, I whole-heartedly recommend it. This is a good and satisfying film experience (and I stress the experience part).

I can't add anything new about Christian Bale- he, quite simply, is this movie. Others have said more eloquently why this is so, you can check any other review for that. This is just goes on short list of notable performances.

I loved seeing Michael Ironside get a role that is not a villain in the 90's.  

Good review, Morlock. One of my favorites of the last year. The film makes you uncomfortable because you get in the world of the character. Just thinking about it moves me.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Still the best, and I can only hope that this movie attracts a ton of young listeners into our hobby. The music is wonderful (Williams' best since the mid 80's perhaps) and is so much fun and part of the drama that a music lover cannot help but enjoy this truly magical film. And I hope it made and will make others appreciate the fine art of quality film scoring.

Neil

Regrettably, John Williams forgot to give Potter a personal and individual sound. Instead of being the voice of Potter, the music mostly serves as a constant reminder of several poignant moments in his catalogue.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't really care for Harry Potter beyond the music, so I guess I can't disagree with anyone.

Watched A River Runs Through It this afternoon. The film pulled me in from the beginning and never let go. Tons of gorgeous photography with a good score from Isham to boot. I especially loved the "Roaring Twenties" portion of the movie as I've always been a big fan of that era. I think I have to put this above Quiz Show as Redford's best.

I completely disagree with both comments.

So do I.

I saw both stop motion animation films from the past few month:

The Corpse Bride- I feel like I have to see this again, as soon as possible. I had a wonderful time watching it. A beautiful film, with a wonderful, sweet story. I loved the voice work in the film, I loved Victoria, her small, pouty lips really film Emily Watson's voice perfectly. Richard E. Grant was wonderfully smarmy here. Everything about his character- name, voice, look, dialogue- all have a distinctly Dickensian feel about them, and I loved that.

I love the songs. 'According to Plan' is my favorite, mainly because of the voice work. I love Albert Finney's singing here. 'Remains of The Day' is much better in context of the film, that sequence is fantastic. I think all except for 'Tears to Shed' are going to get as much play as the Nightmare songs.

The look of the film is really stunning, the character design as well as the whole production design. Alex McDowell deserves a double nod for his work on Burton's films this year.

I think the score is Elfman's strongest in years. The main theme, Victor's theme, is a gem, and it's never boring, despite the constant use of it. The End Titles are fantastic, both the beautiful rendition of Victor's theme, and the insturmental version of 'Remains of The day'. And the use of the chorus at the end is inspired.

This has really been an excellent year for Burton, and for Elfman, Two fresh, fantastic movies, both with scores to match. Both films capture the classic Burton feel, yet you feel his work has matured since Edward and Beetlejuice.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Eh. This is the film I originaly thought it would be, judging by the trailer. Then I heard all the good reviews, great B.O., I thought, I must have missed something. Alas, not. This film was funny and whimsical, but not in any memorable way. I enjoyed myself, but the jokes were entirely predictable, and after a couple of chuckles, it's gone. I did like hearing Ralph Fiennes giving the most vocal performance of his life, and the score was fun. But It's like there was a layer of spam between us- nothing stuck with me. I usually love British humour, but I have yet to understand the cult status Wallace and Gromit have. They're funny, I liked watching the TV show, but nothing more.

The score is wonderful. The movie, not really,k except for a scene or two.  

Romão, who thinks POA is superior in every way.

:P:thumbup:

Regrettably, John Williams forgot to give Potter a personal and individual sound. Instead of being the voice of Potter, the music mostly serves as a constant reminder of several poignant moments in his catalogue.

:mrgreen:

~Sturgis

Die Another Day (with the text commentary track)

Good sound on this one. I had it turned up to reference level and never felt uncomfortable. It was loud but fun. The movie itself though is just painful once it gets to Iceland. And just how many times does Bond have to save Jinx? That whole embarrasing segment with the Icaraus firing at Bond and him surfing could have been cut, and they could have gone right to the car chase on the ice.

Neil

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMENS APOCALYPSE - Utter foolishness from the UKs Channel 4 comedy crew. "You my friend are f-u-k-t, fucked!"

DEAD AGAIN - Even more utter foolishness. Kenneth Branagh never looked better. Derek Jacobi should have known better. Patrick Doyle's Herrmann-esque score is one of his best. "Well I, for one, am v-v-very interested to see w-w-what's going to happen next."

Torn Curtain

Started off with promise, but missed the mark for me. I never bought Newman as a professor of anything. However, I thought Andrews was very good and by the end I wasn't thinking of her breaking out into song with every line she had. Gromek and his gum chewing stole the show. Too bad he bought in the farmhouse.

I was surprised to find Addison's score fairly decent, but totally inappropriate for the film. It was too sweet and almost campy at times. Makes the Herrmann rejection even more unbelievable.

Dawn of The Dead. (Romero's 1978) I enjoyed myself much more with this film. Good pacing and screenplay. I found the whole "Mall Raiders" plot to be a little too long. The music was also completly wasted. What this film could have been with a great score....

Next Zombie Flick: 28 Days Later

Justin

I did the same thing Morlock did. I saw both stop-animation films in one day.

I thought the middle of "Corpse Bride" was a little slow and not going anywhere. The songs were fantastic. The first song was great because it had identical vocals from opposing sides of the story. I love when songwriters can do that so well. But the sound mix put more prominence on the music than the lyrics, so I couldn't understand most of the "Corpse Bride" and "We're Going to Have a Wedding" songs.

"Wallace and Gromit" was great. Lots of fun, though I suspect adults will like it more than kids because the best moments for me were a little more grown-up. Like using round vegetables to refer to breasts. And the mean dog having a pretty coin purse -- brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

I also watched a 1940s film called "Black Narcissus." Boring. Though it did look pretty, as it was filmed in gorgeous Technicolor.

"Sin City" was probably one of the best pulp/noir films since the 1970s, but I got distracted by the cinematography. Did anyone else notice how they failed to get all the green out? You could see it on people's faces, and it didn't make any sense. I know when you make a color film into black and white that it's hard to take all the green out. I interviewed Roger Deakins and he said that was the hardest thing about de-colorizing "The Man Who Wasn't There." (Side note: He and the Coens wanted to shoot on B&W film but the studio wouldn't pay the extra money for the film stock.) But if Deakins could utilize great technology to get all the green out of his film, then why couldn't Robert Rodriguez do the same? Anyway, I was pleased with Mickey Rourke, though I never, ever like characters who smoke incessantly on film. But I didn't like all the gore in the film, though that's what graphic novels are known for. This film was probably one scene away from an NC-17. I bet if the film was in color, the MPAA would have given it an NC-17. But the B&W made it less gross to see arms and other body parts blown off or cut up.

"Sin City" was probably one of the best pulp/noir films since the 1970s, but I got distracted by the cinematography. Did anyone else notice how they failed to get all the green out? You could see it on people's faces, and it didn't make any sense. I know when you make a color film into black and white that it's hard to take all the green out. I interviewed Roger Deakins and he said that was the hardest thing about de-colorizing "The Man Who Wasn't There." (Side note: He and the Coens wanted to shoot on B&W film but the studio wouldn't pay the extra money for the film stock.) But if Deakins could utilize great technology to get all the green out of his film, then why couldn't Robert Rodriguez do the same? Anyway, I was pleased with Mickey Rourke, though I never, ever like characters who smoke incessantly on film. But I didn't like all the gore in the film, though that's what graphic novels are known for. This film was probably one scene away from an NC-17. I bet if the film was in color, the MPAA would have given it an NC-17. But the B&W made it less gross to see arms and other body parts blown off or cut up.

I felt it told the same short story over and over again.

This film was probably one scene away from an NC-17. I bet if the film was in color, the MPAA would have given it an NC-17. But the B&W made it less gross to see arms and other body parts blown off or cut up.

The film and especially the violence was numbing to me. Didn't liked it one bit. Or let me say it this way: i don't think that something of such eminent unimportance as a filmed pulp comic should be allowed to numb you like this.

PS: how any grown person can actually like patronizing junk like 'Sorcerers Stone`is beyond me. Sorry Neil. :)

eXistenZ, interesting tale about the desensitization to violence through video games. I'd definitely like to plug into JJL's bio-port!

Bad Education, melodramatic yarn about homosexuality and sexual abuse. Doesn't stand up well to Almodovar's other great films. Great main titles though; Hitch, Bass and Herrmann would be proud.

Jeff

Dr. No

Funny ending. Bond'll rather be drifting in the middle of the ocean without food or water, but shagging some island chick, than be towed off to land, get those wounds cleaned, check into some hotel, and then hump said strumpet. Oh well, must be a sixties thing.

- Marc, :angry:

"Agnes of God." I had forgotten how good Meg Tilly was. Too bad she never tookl off after that. Maybe if she hadn't broken her foot the day before starting on "Amadeus," she would have had three good back-to-back films (along with "The Big Chill"), instead of this one. And Anne Bancroft was exceptional.

How Anjelica Huston won the Oscar over Tilly is beyond me.

The Brothers Grimm.

Nice movie. Not a masterpiece, but pretty entertaining and joy to look at. The score is absolutely fantastic.

And yes, Meg Tilly's performance in Agnes of God is mesmerizing.

I also rather liked Grimm. And yes, the score was good... reminded me a lot of Goldsmith in places. Haven't been able to find it at local stores yet.

Tonight I finally watched Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Very entertaining. Not quite as energetic as Chicken Run, but that wasn't to be expected from these characters. Not that that's a bad thing; I wouldn't know which I like better, having seen CR lots of times and knowing it inside out. W&G had tons of witty (and sometimes insanely obvious, which just made them even more enjoyable) puns and references. Surprisingly well-hidden Indy joke this time, and the Jaws/King Kong storyline (with the JP bit in the middle) was great.

And of course, all those bunnies...

Marian - :thumbup:

How Anjelica Huston won the Oscar over Tilly is beyond me.

You must remember that the HUSTON name is a powerful one in Hollywood. 3 generations of Hustons have now won Oscars.

Now to be mixed up with SUPERMAN II when General Zod asks for directions to Planet Huston.

I remember hating "Agnes of God", thinking that the story was bloated. It was based on a play that the playwright converting into a screenplay himself, and I just remember it sounding like a play instead of movie, which was detrimental to the realism. I couldn't help appreciate the performances, which is why the only thing to be nominated for Academy Awards were performance related things like acting and music.

Angelica Houston is a great actress. But I'm just glad someone other then Oprah won that year.

Tim

I saw Transporter on dvd lately. One of the best action movies of the past few years, and it really made me interested in Transporter 2.

I saw Transporter on dvd lately. One of the best action movies of the past few years, and it really made me interested in Transporter 2.

If you haven't already, don't see the sequel. It will induce the following symptoms:

fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches, acute respiratory distress, and......diarrhea :P

Tim

Saw Pleasantville. This movie is kind of annoying. It is, without a doubt, one of the best and most unique looking films I've ever seen. It is a stunning, beautiful film. It's first half or so is absolutely perfect, a sublime, pitch-perfect, comedy/satire that never misses a beat. And in the second half, it turns into a very interesting parable on racism, as well as cencorship and the power an individual has (but more on that in a second).

All that's the good stuff. Then the movie goes wrong. It seems to be confused about what it's trying to say, and certainly goes about it the wrong way. The movie seems to whole heartedly advocate change, yet, at the same time, show many negative aspects of it as well. In a way, I guess it's saying, if you want the highs, you gotta take the lows as well- but the movie seems to advocate adultery (especialy because of that confounding last scene). But that doesn't fit. The movie seems to resolve itself saying 'And I hope you remember the valuable lesson we taught you here', but it was not conclusive on most of the morals, save for embracing what's different.

I think the movie over-reached, and because of it, missed a lot of stuff. I think the movie should have been destilled to a more specific point- it may have been more naive, but it also would have been more complete if it would be a fun comedy, which than revealed itself to be a commentary on racism. As I said, on any other points it may have had, it missed the mark. And I think a lot of it has to do with the characters it has to use- these characters are, at the end of the day, TV characters. Why should they go through change- why should we care about the change they go through? It like trying to take a Brady Bunch story and turn it into some deep political commentary.

But still, the film's pluses outweigh it's faults. It's full of good vibes. After watching it, I was feeling very positive.

Beyond any conceptual flaws it has, the film is flawless (I know that could probably be said of many films, but it is particulaly true here). The actors are all excellent- William H. Macy, J.T. Walsh (in his last performance) and Jeff Daniels in particular I loved. And I think Don Knotts was just a brilliant choice for the TV repairman.

I cannot praise the film's look too much. It is just beautiful at every turn. The film's use of color is just breathtaking- that single red rose, or the flowers in the air as they're driving, or the first full color scene at the lake. The effects are so perfect, and so seemless. Not for a second do you see how the illusion was created.

The dialogue in the film is very good, especialy in the satire stuff, where it never hits a wrong note (in general, the satire stuff is all perfect).

Randy Newman's score is one of his strongest, from his comedic march for Pleasantville, to his triumphant motif for the use of color, to his absolutely stunning theme for the 'Real Rain'.

All in all, the screenplay of this would probably get ***, but the technical triumph this film is, which happens to be directly tied into the film's concept, coupled with the good vibes it gives teh viewer, give it, in my book, ***1/2 out of ****.

If a movie is on television, then I don't watch the whole thing. But the last movie I at least saw 30 minutes to an hour of was Scarface.

Frank, you're a piece of sh*t.

That movie is a classic.....

Spetters

Verhoeven is a more than capable director, but did we really need all those sex scenes? If I want to see a guy get sucked off, I'll just watch porn, thank you very much. :|