STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga (Last Chance for v1.0!)

Todd

Question...should I include an interlude of SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE in there?

I vote YES - if I recall correctly, "Night Skies" includes Xizor's theme, Vader's theme, and a terrific rendition of the Force theme. That single cue is a pretty good representation of the forces at work in SOTE

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True...but I'd also like to include a short suite of the upbeat action cues...the best on the album.

I may hold off on it and when I expand the prequel section when we have full scores (or really cool bonus tracks for ROTS) I may add SOTE in and expand the OT section.

Not on quite as grand a scale as your work, I made a tracklist compiled of the various albums to create a sort of musical journey aimed specifically at Anakin. I'm sure there are other cues that I could include. Any thoughts, possible additions?

1. Anakin's Theme (TPM)

2. Anakin is Free (TPM:UE)

3. He is the Chosen One (TPM)

4. The Meadow Picnic / Across the Stars (AOTC)

5. Anakin and Padme (AOTC)

6. Tusken Camp and the Homestead (AOTC)

7. Anakin's Dream (ROTS)

8. Anakin's Betrayal (ROTS)

9. Anakin's Dark Deeds (ROTS)

10. Battle of the Heroes (ROTS)

11. Anakin vs Obi-Wan (ROTS)

12. The Immolation Scene (ROTS)

13. Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny (ROTS)

14. Aboard the Executor (ESB)

15. Night Skies (SOTE)

16. The Emperor's Death (ROTJ)

17. Darth Vader's Death (ROTJ)

18. Light of the Force (ROTJ)

19. The Throne Room (ANH)

It'll be much easier once 'complete' versions of AOTC and ROTS come around. I'd really like to hear the Tusken massacre confession from AOTC apart from the film

I'd really like to hear the .mp3 you originally posted us on (since I'm new and playing catch-up!) ..it sounds like you did a great job! And, FWIW, I wouldn't include anything non-John Williams unless you really liked it and were doing it for your own enjoyment....

Okay everyone...Version 1.0 of STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga is finished. Both the PT and OT are done. I know I haven't filled every request so if you do not have this edit and want to here it, drop me a PM. To be clear...that is drop me a PM if I haven't replied to you!!

Its really awesome to listen to this whole thing from beginning to end...if you have 130 minutes at one time...!

Please let me know what you think after you listen...thanks so much!!

Some people have had problems with downloading the TESB zip file so both links have been changed to reflect a new repack of the zip file.

So....what are some reactions? Keep in mind, I can't improve upon perfection with these scores...but that wasn't really my goal either.

Fresh links are up....

Does anyone have any perm hosting options for me?

So what do you guys think?

Been listening to your stuff last night and this morning and AMAZING JOB man... there's a few cues that I would add (swim to Otoh Gunga, Flag Parade, Victory Parade from Ep1), but overall an excellent 2-disc set. It's already on my iPod ready for standing in line on the 18th :thumbup:

Personally...

I think all the gungan references are the weakest elements of the TPM. It makes the soundtrack...and the over all feel less serious.

I had a similar problem with PARADE OF THE EWOKS, but ultimately felt that it needed to be included.

The Flag Parade was tough...but I'm not sure where it would musically fit.

I've listend to "Disc 1" and you really did an amazing job.

The one thing I just found a bit strange was the chronological order of some tracks in ROTJ. I think I would put "Enter Lord Vader" behind "Battle of the Heroes"... Because, well, then he really becomes Vader in all his glory. And "Relinquished and Retrieved"(I don't quite know for which this stands .. ) before "Battle?" All the actions in Ep II really build into this climax of Vader's "birth", after his fight with Obi-Wan. So I would (purely hypothetical, since I don't even know how to begin such an edit ;-) ) put "enter Lord Vader" more near the end.

But overall, FANTASTIC job!!!

I never meant this to be a chronological interpretation of Star Wars.

And.....as far as track order goes for ROTS:

SPOILERS:

Track 15: The Dark Side Beckons

This song opens with the very end of "Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious" because of the ambivilent nature of the music, and plus it sounded so great leading into "Palpatine's Teachings" which is what I was looking for.

This music expresses Anakin's temptation by Palpatine, with the conflict between Vader's theme and the Force theme mirroring Anakin's internal conflict. As the tension increases so does the pace of the music, which is cut short by introducting "Anakin's Betrayal."

"Anakin's Betrayal" is pretty cut up, as I start with the middle section (Around 1:32) and move into the true climax of this edit (moving from 2:04 back to 0:22). I use this as the climax because the choral build has a much more emotionally powerful feel to it (until 1:06 going back to 3:28). The end is used to finish the piece and bring emotion levels back down. This music articulates Anakin's turn to the dark side during the duel between Palpatine and Mace. His turn to the dark side is complete when he rushes into the duel and kills Mace in order to save his new master. That moment for me is expressed through the choral section. At this point Anakin is now Darth Vader.

Track 16: Enter Darth Vader

This music is from the scene when Anakin kills the Seperatists on Mustafar...he most certainly is Darth Vader now. Obi-Wan tracks him to Mustafar and confronts him there, begining the duel ala....

Track 17: Battle of the Heroes

This is used instead of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan because I wanted to use the concert version and leave out the bits recycled from TESB...

Track 18: Relinquished and Retrieved

This music begins with the end of "Anakin's Dark Deeds", which seemed to fit after "Battle of the Heroes" as it has a mournful feel as we reflect upon the destruction Vader has created. As this piece swells, I imagine Obi-Wan leave Vader behind to die...being burned alive. Hence "Relinquished".

"Retrieved" begins with "The Immolition Scene" where Palpatine arrives at Mustafar to collect what is left of his young apprentice. How do I know this music is from that scene? Just a guess since "Immolition" refers to death/sacrifice by fire.

SPOILERS END.

So you see...the only issue you may really have with continuity would be the first part of "Relinquished and Retrieved"...but this is interpretive and a musical journey...not a condensed chronology of the saga.

In addition, we aren't able to identify with the ROTS score yet because no one has heard the score in context with the film.

Lastly... you are just wrong about SPOILERS:when Vader is "born." If you are referring to the creation of the mechanical Vader...that scene is intercut with the birth of the twins, a piece I didn't even use. Anakin becomes Darth Vader halfway through the film.

That's what I think anyways...

Well, Todd, I must say I am thoroughly impressed overall and it has inspired me to figure out how to do what you did. Nevertheless, I am still listening to your works over and over to take it all in. It's been kinda cool at times to get all turned around when you're expecting one thing to happen and you transition into music from here and there....I don't know if that's coming out the right way, I guess what I'm saying is that when you're used to listening to the same thing for so many years, up to 28, you're just a little taken off balance when something doesn't happen the way it's genetically implanted into your brain....the only thing so far that kind of has me off centered, in a, I don't know, sort of weirded-out way is when the initial Mos Eisley Fanfare cuts in between the Sandpeople encounter and Ben Kenobi's hovel...(I'm not listening to it at this moment so I can't give you the exact sequence)....it's the only thing that kinda hit me and made me tilt my head like a puppy dog...it wasn't bad, just...odd so far...

Other than that and other than mastering it again with Nero without the pauses between tracks I've got to commend you on some really smooth transitions and clever segues...I haven't given the PT as much air play as the OT yet...the one thing I would have liked to have heard in the OT a little more was the last five minutes of the Battle of Hoth as it is, IMHO, JW's best ever writing for his entire career....but that's me.

Thanks again so much for the hard work and I am interested in finding out what you used to to the edits (if you haven't already posted it here...if you did I apologize for not looking first...)

And...while I've had my iPod for 6 months now I haven't messed with merging tracks to take out the pauses yet so I'm still having to deal with that, especially with your Symphony, for now......

Now off to do an ESB edit the way I've always wanted to hear it....

The reason for the Mos Eisly fanfare was that it made a better transition from the burning of the homestead to the scene when Luke returns to the sandcrawler. If you remember...at the end of the first sequence there is a cut to Death Star fanfare that i wanted to omit. As the music swells at the end, there is only so much that can be used to replace it.

You're right...about the changes being different to listen to. I agree...but this is a whole new way to listen to the music...which I like.

For cutting and mixing, I used ACID. With that program it was very easy to fade, change volume and panning for a few, and even tranposing something to make it blend better.

Ultimately...my favorite edits are when I take things out of order, like "Anakin's Betrayal" and play the middle, beginning, and then the end...those were fun to play with.

If you are doing your own edit, you'll find that it is much harder to pick and choose what you want, as this music has a tendency to edit and cut itself where it wants. If I ever found myself trying to cut a piece the way I wanted it...and it wouldn't work over and over...I had to step back and listen for where the music wanted to be cut and arranged...if that makes sense.

It was a great project

ACID? I'll look into it....thanks!

I was listening to ESB on my iPod when I wrote you and was doing a rough idea of what I would want and you're right about a great many things in terms of what might or might not work together...plus, to unlearn some of what comes naturally and pick and choose....

With Acid...it is a bit tempermental with WIN XP...so save often. Nothing worse than having the program freeze up and losing work after you've got it perfect. Usually the restore will work...but I have lost some stuff because I forgot to save...

I've listening to the prequel trilogy (only the first two installments, as I have not heard ROTS yet) suite a lot lately. I think it's truly a terrific work. So I was looking for an appropiate image to add as "album cover" in my iTunes. After much thought, I decided to go with what I dare say is the heart of the prequel trilogy: Anakin contemplating the sunset in Tatooine after learning of his mother's disappearance, from AOTC.

I was going to make a capture of the DVD, when I remembered that I had not yet gotten the DVD back from that somebody I loaned it to. So I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide me with a capture of said scene? I thought it was better to post it here than in a new thread.

-Ross, who was going to buy ROTS today, but then, once at the store's door, remembered it was a national holiday.

P.S. Could I be linked to the classic trilogy suites once they are completed? Thank you very much.

I've listened to the prequel suites and most of the OT, and I'm really impressed. Sounds like it was a lot of fun to do. Nice work! :(

Ray Barnsbury

It was a hell of a lot of fun to do...and if anyone could work with me...I'd like to make a DVD to go along with it. I just don't have the equipment on my PC or know-how to get into video editing. So if anyone wants to help make a two hour plus music video with two audio tracks (dialogue/FX & isolated score)....let me know.

Todd, not to be to much of a pain but are you going to remaster your work from the ROTS CD now that you have it? Not that the 256kbps parts are bad at all....just curious....

Yeah....

Also going to do that with AOTC since I just found a Bonus Track CD as well.

I'd love some more feedback, especially since I'll mix some more TPM music into it and maybe try at pay attention to some other rough areas.

Any thoughts on what else could change? Especially in the context of adding video (who's interested in that?)

I'm probably going to bump DOTF to the end of TPM (after the Qui-Gon section) and make it a bit shorter. I just can't stand that song anymore...

Still sticking firm with leaving out a lot of the action cues for TPM since the editing is jacked and the music is so disjointed (unless I try and mix the ultimate DOTF and forget about the concert suite). I also think I'll avoid musical references to the podrace...as it just doesn't fit with what I want.

Any new version will contain more of the "mood" music I favored in "The Chosen One" and "The Phantom Menace"....

Thoughts??

The Phantom Menace is fine except, IMHO, the last 1.27 or so ONLY because there's a lot crammed into that- although given the scope of what you're doing you kinda have to do some of that....it's almost like you had too many choices and not enough space...the transition into Yoda's teachings might go a little smoother after that....I mean, shoot, I couldn't do what you did but you asked.... :)

I just finished listening to the PT, and I'd say that the only thing that is bad at all is the DotF section, only because some of the edits are cumbersome. Otherwise, I love it. Especially the Qui-Gon part.

Thanks...

I'm actually thinking of mixing the concert version with a few bits of the end of the film. The thing is I really hate how stop and go DOTF is...and I'm sick of hearing it...Althought I like the edit in the middle more and more...its odd at your first listen though...I will say that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Symphony for a Saga is not streaming on internet radio station, K-WES also known as 24/7 Film Score Heaven. Currently, it is playing in its entirety all day. For those who haven't downloaded or given a listen, now is your chance...http://wesmany2k.home.insightbb.com/

Thanks!

I love this version of the music - I keep listening to it every day! Occasionally there are some pops when it changes tracks - Is this a function of Windows Media Player 10 or in the original recording?

I love this version of the music - I keep listening to it every day!  Occasionally there are some pops when it changes tracks - Is this a function of Windows Media Player 10 or in the original recording?

More than likely...the "skip" is a lag that happens when your computer's resources run low. A restart will fix that. Also...using Nero, burn to a cd with 0:00 second track buffers for continuous play!

• 1 month later...

FYI -

I am re-editing Symphony for a Saga...soon v1.0 will be unavailable.

If anyone has the prequel trilogy unreleased music, please let me know. I would love to incorporate it somehow. THANKS!!

Can't help with the unreleased stuff, but look forward to hearing the results.....and maybe someone making up and posting a CD Artwork set?????

There will be CD artwork, for certain.

DVD artwork too. Oh...sorry...forgot to mention that video will be put to the whole thing. :)

As long as everyone can wait patiently until it is finished.