A Hero Falls Music video

Damo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard that cue before, since i'm waiting for the cd and don't want to spoil anything. However to me it sounds a bit, dare i say, boring. :|

Well, the thing is, only dialogue heard in the trailers is used here. That means there are wide gaps where nobody has anything to say because there's not enough trailer dialogue to choose from. I wonder if Lucasfilm will take the same (additional) spoiler-free approach with the other music videos.

"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

*shots of Han and Leia racing down the halls of Echo Base*

"You told me you killed him!"

*shot of the Falcon spinning around*

"No, Luke... I--"

*shot of Boba Fett firing at Luke*

This movie is looking great, wildy inconsistent with the episodes that are supposed to follow it, but, a good film in it's own right.

Jeff

This movie is looking great, wildy inconsistent with the episodes that are supposed to follow it, Jeff

Why inconsistant??

I found Battle of The Heroes a little boring at first, but I like it more aftyer watching the vid a few times. The actual melody doesn't do much for me, but I love the its in between

I've never heard that cue before, since i'm waiting for the cd and don't want to spoil anything. However to me it sounds a bit, dare i say, boring.  :|

I'm not speaking for myself here, because I'm waiting as you are, but I heard the track grows on you. I found the same thing happened when I first listened to PoA - I wasn't blown away by anything in particular, but I let it grow on me and now it's a favourite. In fact, ALL of my CDs have done that for me. Perhaps PoA wasn't the best example to compare with as you disliked it, but that's what it was like for me.

Man, the scene where Obi-Wan's jet crashes on the deck of the star ship and he jumps out of the cockpit, flips in the air with his lightsaber drawn is freakin' awesome...

Tim

I was really dissapointed actually.. Usually there is footage from the film intercut with footage of John Williams with the LSO.. none of that this time :|

Usually there is footage from the film intercut with footage of John Williams with the LSO.. none of that this time :|

That can be seen in the exclusive Hyperspace webdoc. No kidding.

Wow, I heard some awful line reading in this one.

Neil

Bad line reading, perhaps, but we should really wait until we see the complete and full scenes. Things can seem odd or out of place not given the full context of the scene. It does look as though there is some series jedi action in this.

Tim

dunno what u precisely mean by that.

I've never heard that cue before, since i'm waiting for the cd and don't want to spoil anything. However to me it sounds a bit, dare i say, boring.  ;)

I'm not speaking for myself here, because I'm waiting as you are, but I heard the track grows on you. I found the same thing happened when I first listened to PoA - I wasn't blown away by anything in particular, but I let it grow on me and now it's a favourite. In fact, ALL of my CDs have done that for me. Perhaps PoA wasn't the best example to compare with as you disliked it, but that's what it was like for me.

PErhaps you're right. I'm not making any judgements now, i'll wait till i have the cd in my hand. And what's this about me not liking POA i love POA!

This movie is looking great, wildy inconsistent with the episodes that are supposed to follow it, Jeff

Why inconsistant??

Are you serious?

The original trilogy, even the special editions, still have the look and style of films made from the 70s and 80s. The camera does way more in the prequel trilogy than it does in the original trilogy. For example, in the trailers when Palpatine shoots lightning at Yoda, the camera angle is from the point of view of the lightning coming at Yoda. The ROTJ lightning attack has no such camera angle (and I hope it stays that way), such a thing was not possible in 1983.

Personally, I've never liked point-of-view shots from inanimate objects. They are completely unnatural, take me right out of the movie and really stick out from the rest of the movie.

There's also more going on in any given shot from the prequels compared to the OT. "Sets" and locations are more elaborate and filled with more people and aliens, and camera angles are far wider on these than in the OT. This is also why the shoe-horned digital shots of the special editions stick out so much.

Also, the duels, the style of fighting and elaborate choreographed acrobatics are completely different from anything in the OT. Anakin and Obi-Wan apparently lava surf as part of their duel. The duels in the OT don't do anything like that nor did they need such gimmicks to make them exciting.

If someone were to watch Episodes I-VI in order and for the first time, there is this blatant technical gap between the two trilogies. Just going from Episode III to Episode IV, we go from Obi-Wan jumping out of a moving starship and slicing a droid, lava surfing and acrobatics during the duels of Episode III to Episode IV where all they do is run around shooting at storm troopers and a duel with no one hopping around and no digital stunt doubles.

Jeff

As an extended trailer for the movie this is great. But if it's indicitive of what all the videos on the DVD will be like, that DVD will be a nice one time watch/frisbee. I hope it's well balanced.

Why inconsistant??

Are you serious?

The original trilogy, even the special editions, still have the look and style of films made from the 70s and 80s. The camera does way more in the prequel trilogy than it does in the original trilogy. For example, in the trailers when Palpatine shoots lightning at Yoda, the camera angle is from the point of view of the lightning coming at Yoda. The ROTJ lightning attack has no such camera angle (and I hope it stays that way), such a thing was not possible in 1983.

Personally, I've never liked point-of-view shots from inanimate objects. They are completely unnatural, take me right out of the movie and really stick out from the rest of the movie.

There's also more going on in any given shot from the prequels compared to the OT. "Sets" and locations are more elaborate and filled with more people and aliens, and camera angles are far wider on these than in the OT. This is also why the shoe-horned digital shots of the special editions stick out so much.

Also, the duels, the style of fighting and elaborate choreographed acrobatics are completely different from anything in the OT. Anakin and Obi-Wan apparently lava surf as part of their duel. The duels in the OT don't do anything like that nor did they need such gimmicks to make them exciting.

If someone were to watch Episodes I-VI in order and for the first time, there is this blatant technical gap between the two trilogies. Just going from Episode III to Episode IV, we go from Obi-Wan jumping out of a moving starship and slicing a droid, lava surfing and acrobatics during the duels of Episode III to Episode IV where all they do is run around shooting at storm troopers and a duel with no one hopping around and no digital stunt doubles.

Jeff

Yes I was being serious

Were you? ;)

So they should have stuck with 70's technology??

Camera angles??

Well you can't judge on a prequel video. The OT videos will automatically, I think, be much more engaging to watch. Better music, better storyline, better anything that helps a trailer-esque video.

Yes I was being serious

Were you? ;)

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Basically, yes. Why change what works? I don't like digital stunt doubles, digital characters, digital sets, digital backrounds and digital spaceships and explosions. It's too much. Computers should be used for compositing and editing, they shouldn't be the primary tool to create special effects. So much of what you see in the prequels (and a lot of todays movies) is only there because they have the technology to do it, not because it serves the story.

Jeff

I don't like digital stunt doubles

But Dooku going over the railing looks so realistic. Much better than Basil Rathbone's stuntman in The Adventures of Robin Hood!

Neil

PErhaps you're right.

What is Mr. Scott's condition?

I am sorry doctor, we have no time to discuss this logically.

Logic? My god, the man's talking about logic! We're talking about the new Star Wars music video. You green blooded, inhuman....

Neil

Damn it, Neil, you're a Moderator. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

I don't like digital stunt doubles

But Dooku going over the railing looks so realistic. Much better than Basil Rathbone's stuntman in The Adventures of Robin Hood!

Nothing looks as good as Dooku's digital head in AOTC.

Jeff

I'm not making any judgements now, i'll wait till i have the cd in my hand. And what's this about me not liking POA i love POA!

;)

I meant the score. :roll:

Um, and you rated it one star in a thread a while back for not staying faithful to the style of the first two scores.

Um i rated it that because it wasn't faithful to the rest of the series but i love it by it self. The quality is undeniable.

Neil

So far I'm very impressed with what I see,EXCEPT Hayden Christensen's line delivery,I guess that's what you mean.I hope he doesn't singlehandedly ruin the movie

K.M.

As an extended trailer for the movie this is great. But if it's indicitive of what all the videos on the DVD will be like, that DVD will be a nice one time watch/frisbee. .

Well,I think it will be a nice showcase of Williams music in context with the images.This convert the people who hadn't noticed Williams music before.

K.M.

The original trilogy, even the special editions, still have the look and style of films made from the 70s and 80s.  The camera does way more in the prequel trilogy than it does in the original trilogy.  For example, in the trailers when Palpatine shoots lightning at Yoda, the camera angle is from the point of view of the lightning coming at Yoda.  The ROTJ lightning attack has no such camera angle (and I hope it stays that way), such a thing was not possible in 1983.

How are you upset about this? I understand that a lot of us are upset with Lucas about the new Star Wars movies, but do we have to hate every single aspect ? (I worry about the response to such a question). I'm in the same boat as a lot of you, but I don't see why he should be able to use new technology in this day and age, especially with so many possibilities. I believe what he's done visual is outstanding, and wouldn't trade it in to see more of what was possible in the late 70's. I relish in visual that I know are impossible, but work effectively withint the confines of the picture.

Also, the duels, the style of fighting and elaborate choreographed acrobatics are completely different from anything in the OT.  Anakin and Obi-Wan apparently lava surf as part of their duel.  The duels in the OT don't do anything like that nor did they need such gimmicks to make them exciting.

Both of these character are in their prime during the prequel time set. The reason that things were different in the OT was simply because Vadar is not what his potential could be, and Luke is not a fully trained Jedi. The fighting the PT is fantastic because this is how things were, and Jedi would have possessed these abilities.

If someone were to watch Episodes I-VI in order and for the first time, there is this blatant technical gap between the two trilogies.  Just going from Episode III to Episode IV, we go from Obi-Wan jumping out of a moving starship and slicing a droid, lava surfing and acrobatics during the duels of Episode III to Episode IV where all they do is run around shooting at storm troopers and a duel with no one hopping around and no digital stunt doubles.

Yes. There is a gap. 16 years between RotJ and TPM. As a viewer, I understand this and respect that. But I'm not going to complain and hold it against Lucas (and there is plenty we can hold him to, but not this) because he wanted to do something new. He already did it 3 times the first go around, and I allow him this quible about utilizing new tools for the second go around.

Tim

Well,I think it will be a nice showcase of Williams music in context with the images.This convert the people who hadn't noticed Williams music before.

K.M.

A good point, always hoping for new converts. ;)

I agree that Hayden Christensen in full-bore petulant mode is a bit hard to take, but hopefully the movie will move quickly into the Hayden Christensen is "mean and evil" part soon after.

And that awkwardly silent shot of Padme staring at him in between those lines....ahh, memories of AotC dialogue scenes!

Ray Barnsbury

I just hope he doesn't call her M'lady again. Please let there be no cringe-worthy dialog!!

but hopefully the movie will move quickly into the Hayden Christensen is "mean and evil" part soon after.

I hope he is like that throughout the movie and not talking about sand.

;) Il Circo Giragga - La Strada - Nino Rota :dance:

That line about the sand is nothing compared to the scene just before Anakin and Padme are about to enter the arena

Padme: I'm not afraid of dying. I've been dying a little bit every day since you came back into my life.

That line always gets lost in the shuffle, and is far worse then any line in any of the Star Wars films.

Tim

I just hope he doesn't call her M'lady again.

Anakin and Padme are married now, so I doubt much anakin will her call M'lady again. But I could be wrong.

Anakin: M'lady, you're intoxicating, you've grown more beautiful, and you're CRAWLING with vulture droids. But I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them...and I want more aggresive negotiations. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner...and you're everything that's soft and smooth.

Um i rated it that because it wasn't faithful to the rest of the series but i love it by it self. The quality is undeniable.

Oh, so it was a bit of a Clemmensen review, then? Music in relation to other scores etc. Which, by the way makes me bloody irritated because he did a "Music in relation to" with Star Wars and RotK and as standalones they got 5 stars, but no such luck with PoA. Eh, what's the use...

An impressive clip! Hearing Vader's voice still beats it all. Whatever the outcome, it will be the best of the prequels (and better than ROTJ).

True, at times Hayden is pretty bad at delivering the lines.

----------------

Alex Cremers

How are you upset about this?  I understand that a lot of us are upset with Lucas about the new Star Wars movies, but do we have to hate every single aspect?

Who's upset? I don't hate every aspect, in my first post I said RotS looks like a good movie.

I believe what he's done visual is outstanding, and wouldn't trade it in to see more of what was possible in the late 70's.  I relish in visual that I know are impossible, but work effectively withint the confines of the picture.

As stand alone films, I think they are ok. And yes, they are visually impressive. But for being part of the saga and supposedly taking place decades before the OT, I think there are inconsistensies both in style and within the universe where the story takes place that will be noticeable to anyone who watches the saga in episode order for the first time.

Both of these character are in their prime during the prequel time set.  The reason that things were different in the OT was simply because Vadar is not what his potential could be, and Luke is not a fully trained Jedi.  The fighting the PT is fantastic because this is how things were, and Jedi would have possessed these abilities.

That's George Lucas talking.

Yes.  There is a gap.  16 years between RotJ and TPM.  As a viewer, I understand this and respect that.  But I'm not going to complain and hold it against Lucas (and there is plenty we can hold him to, but not this) because he wanted to do something new.  He already did it 3 times the first go around, and I allow him this quible about utilizing new tools for the second go around.

Lucas is the one saying that this is the bridge between trilogies, that this leads into Episode 4.

It's not a matter of liking or disliking the movie. I just don't think it's going to be a very smooth connection, to me there is an abrupt change in moviemaking technique from one episode to the next.

Jeff

Camera angles??

The Phantom Menace had good camera angles. No silly stuff like lightning POV.

George gives his animatic directors too much freedom. Basically, the prequels are visually directed just as much by the animatic directors and whoever George lets direct that day as George himself. Anybody else see the footage of Ben Burt directing? And that animator guy directing the wookie battle who has a beard? George is still a very lazy director, which means he will never be solely responsible for creating his shots and camera angles. Didn't he direct the clone battle at the end of Episode 2 by telling the animatics department (consisting of 2 kids hired straight out of High School, no fooling) that he needed "lots of really good battle shots"?

That's not directing, that's George right back in RotJ mode, letting other people take the helm of his vision. This time, though, there are too many cooks. The result is the lightning POV shot, etc.

as for the more static fighting in Star Wars A New Hope, just wait for the Extra Special, Superdooper, Fantasmagora, Ultirama Edition, in 4D, there will be more acting, more fighting, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, more special effects, and I might add more special effects.