Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Dude no offense but I don't give a damn. As I said this is my set, I'm happy with the way how it turned out. I don't know what makes you think you're suddenly "Mr. Right" about this stuff is beyond me. No one really fully knows for sure. So in a polite way please just buzz off.

What ticked you off? I wasn't trying to come across in an offensive way. I was just trying to help.

7m End Title Part II is, I believe, a re-recording of the ANH credits. It can be heard partially in KOTOR2, GoodMusician also edited it into his A New Hope set.

Thanks, good point. I knew that piece must have been recorded for The Phantom Menace, but it didn't occur to me this was the cue title. By the way, you can piece this all together from Republic Commando and Starfighter, which offer CD quality sound (actually, Starfighter offers greater than CD quality sound).

I sadly don't have this Starfighter material, or Republic Commando. Somebody did rip Starfighter for me but left it incomplete, and at 2050hz. Not good.

I know, but it's difficult to tell where "Laser Fight March" you have is supposed to start, or is it "Courtyard Crossfire" and "Laser Fight March" that are one cue? I find "Laser Fight March" to be the 'second' part of "Take to Your Ships", basically the part which scores the gungan fight after "Armies Face Off" etc...

"Courtyard Crossfire" segues into "Laser Fight March." You can hear the ending of "Courtyard Crossfire" in JPB Music4a at 2:38. It's a sustained trumpet note. I believe this ending was supposed to be overlapped/crossfaded with - or just cut straight to - "Laser Fight March," which starts with the same note but does not sustain it. * Since Music4a immediately segues into different material, you'll have to do a quick fadeout and mix in "Laser Fight March" (Music5c) or just cut straight to it.

In other words, do exactly what it says in my editing instructions. That bit isn't outdated.

* If you're skeptical, there's an edit very similar to this in Temple of Doom - the segue between "Indy Negotiates" and "Nightclub Brawl." Sometimes Williams does write cues with overlapping music, so a simple mix of the two doesn't always do it.

I'm not disputing that. I do think they go together in that order.

Changing the subject a little, there is something that did pique my interest. I think "Big Army/Up The Wire/Whatever you call it" (for me it's "The Big Army" - it fits the scene I think it goes to, and is on the original cue list) goes before "Droid Battle". Then, we get the unused Duel of the Fates material after that. And also, there is a piccolo/flute dub missing on "Crash Landing". I don't know if this was recorded like DotF Choir/Sith whispers and dropped in at will (since it instead appears incorrectly on "Qui-Gon's Noble End" in the film), but I am sure it goes there.

I also wonder if anybody will attempt to create a TFU resource.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TFU resource?

I think those piccolo overdubs were meant for "Qui-Gon's Noble End" and Williams chose to admit them from the album. That just makes more musical sense to me than placing them over "Crash Landing." Only the TPM game indicates this placement, so it's hardly certain to be correct.

The TPM game has them over the beginning of the Crash Landing cue, that's what I thought. In the film, that overdub is altered so only the first second or two is used over Qui-Gon's Noble End. There is also an unnatural fade between that material and the theme used when Maul stabs Qui-Gon... the album has a timpani hit there, but it is missing from the film.

I'm wondering if some of the BF2 tracks are dropped film mixes? Mainly for Revenge of the Sith...

Hmm, perhaps. The UE is definitely parred down a little (which I never noticed before, thanks), but it doesn't necessarily prove where the piccolo overdubs are supposed to go. Don't get me wrong, I think they sound wonderful in "Crash Landing" - they're so weird - but it's hard to say if that's what Williams intended. Come to think of it, though, has "Crash Landing" ever come up in a game without the piccolo overdubs? I don't believe any clean intro to it (without piccolos) has been found. There are a number of revised cues, like "The Tide Turns" (slower intro, less percussion), that never seem to show up in games (unless they are CD-sourced), which suggests the music editors at LucasArts are not working with the full recording sessions material.

The BF2 tracks might be dropped film mixes (some of them are the film mixes), but music editor Jesse Harlin has a habit of embellishing Williams's music with all sorts of percussion; see Republic Commando. In my opinion, these mixes, especially "The Elevator Scene," are not characteristic of Williams and are almost surely the work of editors. The added percussion in "Enter Lord Vader" and "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" makes me cringe.

It's ridiculous how many subtle edits are contained in the UE. It's not just abrupt cuts, but speed changes, shortened sustained notes... it's a mess. Also, the volume clips and is not totally consistent. I'm considering using the album for every possible moment. It's just a purer representation of the music.

Then there's Starfighter on the X-Box, which comes in higher-than-CD-quality sound. 48,000 khz doesn't work for CD, but I certainly wouldn't mind having this stuff in my iTunes library. It's a good source for several of the major action cues.

Hmm, perhaps. The UE is definitely parred down a little (which I never noticed before, thanks), but it doesn't necessarily prove where the piccolo overdubs are supposed to go. Don't get me wrong, I think they sound wonderful in "Crash Landing" - they're so weird - but it's hard to say if that's what Williams intended. Come to think of it, though, has "Crash Landing" ever come up in a game without the piccolo overdubs? I don't believe any clean intro to it (without piccolos) has been found. There are a number of revised cues, like "The Tide Turns" (slower intro, less percussion), that never seem to show up in games (unless they are CD-sourced), which suggests the music editors at LucasArts are not working with the full recording sessions material.

The BF2 tracks might be dropped film mixes (some of them are the film mixes), but music editor Jesse Harlin has a habit of embellishing Williams's music with all sorts of percussion; see Republic Commando. In my opinion, these mixes, especially "The Elevator Scene," are not characteristic of Williams and are almost surely the work of editors. The added percussion in "Enter Lord Vader" and "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" makes me cringe.

It's ridiculous how many subtle edits are contained in the UE. It's not just abrupt cuts, but speed changes, shortened sustained notes... it's a mess. Also, the volume clips and is not totally consistent. I'm considering using the album for every possible moment. It's just a purer representation of the music.

Then there's Starfighter on the X-Box, which comes in higher-than-CD-quality sound. 48,000 khz doesn't work for CD, but I certainly wouldn't mind having this stuff in my iTunes library. It's a good source for several of the major action cues.

with all the info from the indy score sheets, about inserts, i'm not so sure anymore if all that drum dubbing was not intended by williams. Well at least i believe boys into battle definately was meant to have them..

Some of the stuff which I thought were altered (ending to "Theed Palace Arrival", for example) is not, you can clearly tell by the distortion of bits of the cues. Slowed down, the music sounds grating (goodness, why did Lucas cut so much of that cue? What was the point in it?), but I am certain the UE ending for "Theed Palace Arrival" is correct and unaltered (I'm talking about the trnasition bit that your edit list has replaced in favour for the clean ending from JPB).

So here's a list of previously undetected loops and bits in the UE:

UE d1 t1 - Fox Fanfare AS USED IN THE FILM

UE d1 t5 - The beginning notes are cut down, they are actually a combo of what is used on the UE, followed by what is used in JPB and the TPM game.

UE d1 t13 - the final few seconds of transitional music are, I believe, unaltered.

UE d1 t17 - the track in the UE misses out a piece of the Jar-Jar theme (thanks to GoodMusician for pointing this out)

UE d1 t30 - a small loop is heard as the outcome of the dice roll is shown. The ending is edited from "The Sith Spacecraft", "String Swell" and the sith whisper recording meant for use in "Qui-Gon's Noble End".

UE d1 t31 - Not even the film version! The DVD has a loop where it seems Williams left out a reprisal in this take. This loop is heard in the OST album, and the actual reprisal, as well as the film version's ending, can be heard in BF2.

UE d2 t1 - A loop of the first notes.

UE d2 t2 - Missing a bit of the opening, can be found in BF2.

UE d2 t14 - Ends with a combo of the "Forest Mist" and "Drum Insert" cues, followed by an alternate/altered? ending to "Queen Amidala".

UE d2 t17 - The film version erases the final timp hit, instead using reverb.

UE d2 t26 - percussionless version of "Anakin Defeats Sebulba".

UE d2 t27 - I've explained this above. Opening measures are looped. Sith whispers over some of it where it shouldn't be, and possibly the piccolo/flutes where they were not meant to be.

UE d2 t31 - I believe the Parade on the album is incomplete, but not as much as the film. The album version skips some of the choral used in the film, but the film omits the beginning major "Emperor's Theme" choral, possibly because it would connect Palpatine to Darth Sidious too early on.

"Boys into Battle" on the album does include the drum overdubs, but at a very low volume.

I thought those were different drums, perhaps synth timapni, or low timpani placeholders? I'm not sure the taikos were meant for that bit. The mix for the album version of "They're Coming Around" is also inconsistent - loud drums, then gets quieter.

Henry, do you have Starfighter and RC rips?

As I'm sure you know Henry, all the changes heard in the UE are the result of alterations made in the music to fit changes in the visuals in the time between the spotting of the music and the final mix. With all the "tricks" available to a music editor now (speed alterations, looping, adding reverb, etc), there's nothing holding anyone back from making changes in the film up to the very last possible moment. Sometimes in the film itself, with all the dia and sound fx, the alterations to the music are not offensive, but when heard out of context on a cd a la the UE, they are just so messy, as you say. I would say that 90% of the changes made to the score of TPM for the final theatrical mix were done to accommodate picture, not for artistic purposes in the score itself. (For example, I believe the music for the sith probe before the flag parade, and for the last lap of the Pod Race are two changes they DID make for artistic, musical reasons and not to accomodate changes in the picture. However, the looping of the DOTF phrase for the moment when Padme pulls the secret gun out of the hiding place on her throne in Reel 6 is made because they added a shot or something to the picture.)

Wait, what? Those will not destroy my listening experience when I get it, will they?

They won't destroy the listening experience, no, but they do detract from what it could have been. Feel no regrets in purchasing the UE, though. It's the only way to (legally) obtain a lot of really fantastic music. [EDIT: And what I PMed you about still stands, Nick Parker, but I'm willing to make an exception for you in this case. :|]

They won't destroy the listening experience, no, but they do detract from what it could have been. Feel no regrets in purchasing the UE, though. It's the only way to (legally) obtain a lot of really fantastic music.

I suppose I will live, then. Is the sound quality good, to anyone who is an "audiophile"?

[EDIT: And what I PMed you about still stands, Nick Parker, but I'm willing to make an exception for you in this case. :|]

Ah, okay. I was wondering about that, actually....

They won't destroy the listening experience, no, but they do detract from what it could have been. Feel no regrets in purchasing the UE, though. It's the only way to (legally) obtain a lot of really fantastic music.

I suppose I will live, then. Is the sound quality good, to anyone who is an "audiophile"?

The sound quality is exceptional. Better than the original soundtrack. I mean, you'll be hard-pressed to find better sound quality on CD. :|

Thanks to Henry last night I did a slight update on my Phantom Menace set regarding a couple of cues. I won't post the new track listing as I don't want to get flack from it.

and the point of posting this is uhm what?

Thanks to Henry last night I did a slight update on my Phantom Menace set regarding a couple of cues. I won't post the new track listing as I don't want to get flack from it.

Just for the hell of it?

has anyone collected all the TFU files together (the new PS3 rips that are being made specifically)? i'd send a PM but I'm not sure who to send it to.

I believe the 'two' takes of "Boys into Battle" are actually the same, just with a single fanfare removed, and taiko drums added. I am also wondering if the ending to the film version fo "Get em, R-2!" was a mix-mash of things, especially considering the ending was altered.

I for one enjoy reading about each member's finalized sets (and works in progress), and enjoy reading the feedback others give about how their set compares to it, etc.

Well, here's my edit list... it's a BIG list:

Disc 1

Those marked with a can be redone immediately and are not yet done. Those with nothing are done.

Running Time: 1:18.20

01 - Fox Fanfare (Film Recording)

02 - Star Wars Main Title

03 - The Arrival

04 - Gas Leak

05 - Droid Fight

06 - Droid Fight (First Run)

07 - Queen Amidala

08 - The Droid Invasion

09 - Introducing Jar-Jar

10 - Bubble World

11 - Gone Fishin'

12 - Darth Sidious

13 - Tentacles

14 - Tentacles (First Run)

15 - Theed Palace Arrival

16 - You're Under Arrest

17 - Escape From Naboo (Original)

18 - Escape From Naboo (Percussion)

19 - Enter Darth Maul

20 - Arrival At Tatooine

21 - Street Band of Mos Espa

22 - Padmé Meets Anakin - Hit the Nose

23 - Desert Winds

24 - Jar-Jar's Run-In With Sebulba

25 - Anakin's Home And The Introduction to Threepio

26 - Running Out of Time#

27 - Talk of Podracing

28 - Watto's Deal#

29 - Kids At Play

30 - The Racer Roars to Life

31 - The Sith Spacecraft

32 - Mos Espa Arena Band

33 - Chance Cube

34 - The Flag Parade

35 - The Flag Parade (First Run)

36 - Jabba Introduction

37 - Start Your Engine

38 - The Race Begins

39 - Anakin Defeats Sebulba

40 - Anakin's Great Victory

41 - The Street Singer

42 - Anakin is Free

43 - Maul's Approach

44 - Darth and Qui-Gon

45 - Darth and Qui-Gon (First Run)

Disc 2

Running Time: 1:15.11

01 - Crisis on Naboo

02 - Coruscant Arrival

03 - The Queen and Palpatine

04 - High Council Meeting I

05 - High Council Meeting II

06 - The Senate

07 - Anakin's Test

08 - He is the Chosen One

09 - Nute and Rune Confer With Darth Sidious

10 - Naboo Temple

11 - The Gungans

12 - War Plans I

13 - War Plans II

14 - Forest Mist

15 - Drums Insert

16 - The Armies Face Off

17 - Moving Forward

18 - Take To Your Ships

19 - Laser Fight March

20 - Darth Maul (Insert)

21 - Anakin Takes Off

22 - Duel of the Fates (Unused)

23 - The Big Army

24 - The Droid Battle

25 - Up the Wire

26 - The Great Duel

27 - The Invisible Wall

28 - Gungans Retreat

29 - Crash Landing

30 - Qui-Gon's Noble End

31 - Battleship Destroyed

32 - Battleship Destroyed (first run)

33 - The End of Darth Maul

34 - Conferring With Yoda

35 - Qui-Gon's Funeral

36 - Augie's Great Municipal Band

37 - End Credits

38 - Duel of the Fates

39 - Anakin's Theme

40 - Tone Poem - Darth Maul

41 - Tone Poem - Padmé

42 - Tone Poem - Anakin

43 - Tone Poem - Qui-Gon

44 - Tone Poem - Shmi

45 - Duel of the Fates (orchestral)

46 - End Credits (Original Suite)

Disc 3

Running Time: 1:02:28

01 - Fox Fanfare (1995 Recording)

02 - Star Wars Main Title (First Run)

03 - Star Wars Main Title (Film Run)

04 - The Arrival (First Run)

05 - Gas Leak (First Run)

06 - Gas Leak (Sith Whispers)

07 - Queen Amidala (Alternate Orchestration)

08 - Queen Amidala (Film Alternate)

09 - The Droid Invasion (First Run)

10 - Bubble World (Alternate Orchestration)

11 - Gone Fishin' (First Run)

12 - Darth Sidious (First Run)

13 - Theed Palace Arrival (First Run)

14 - You're Under Arrest (First Run)

15 - Enter Darth Maul (Sith Whispers)

16 - Running Out of Time (Alternate Orchestration)

17 - The Sith Spacecraft (Sith Whispers)

18 - The Sith Spacecraft (Alternate Ending)

19 - Start Your Engine (Alternate)

20 - The Race Begins (Alternate Orchestration)

21 - Anakin Defeats Sebulba (Alternate Orchestration)

22 - Anakin Defeats Sebulba (Film Alternate)

23 - Anakin's Great Victory (Partial Alternate)

24 - Maul's Approach (Sith Whispers)

25 - Crisis on Naboo (Alternate Orchestration)

26 - Arrival at Coruscant (Alternate Orchestration)

27 - High Council Meeting I (Alternate)

28 - The Senate (Alternate)

29 - Anakin's Test (Alternate)

30 - Naboo Temple (Alternate Orchestration)

31 - War Plans I (Alternate Take)

32 - Forest Mist (First Run)

33 - Forest Mist (Partial Film Alternate)

34 - Drums Insert (First Run)

35 - Drums Insert (Film Alternate)

36 - The Armies Face Off (First Run)

37 - Moving Forward (First Run)

38 - Take To Your Ships (First Run)

39 - Take To Your Ships (Second Run)

40 - Laser Fight March (First Run)

41 - Anakin Takes Off (First Run)

42 - Duel of the Fates (Film Alternate)

Disc 4

Running Time: 1:17.26

01 - The Droid Battle (First Run)

02 - The Droid Battle (Film Alternate)

03 - Gungans Retreat (First Run)

04 - Crash Landing (Alternate)

05 - Crash Landing (Film Alternate)

06 - Qui-Gon's Noble End (First Run)

07 - Qui-Gon's Noble End (Film Alternate)

08 - The End of Darth Maul (First Run)

09 - Qui-Gon's Funeral (First Run)

10 - Augie's Great Municipal Band (Album Alternate)

11 - End Credits Intro (Alternate Recording) # NOTE - This is the ANH end credits recorded during TPM

12 - Duel of the Fates (Alternate Recording)

13 - Anakin's Theme (Alternate Recording)

14 - John Williams Concert Talk

15 - The Flag Parade (concert)

16 - Anakin's Theme (concert)

17 - Duel of the Fates (concert)

18 - The Adventures of Jar-Jar (Royal Scottish National Orchestra)

19 - The Flag Parade (Royal Scottish National Orchestra)

20 - The Flag Parade (Prague)

21 - The Story of Episode I (As Told by C-3P0)

22 - Movie Music

23 - Listen to the Music

24 - Film End Credits Suite

25 - Duel of the Fates (Dialogue Version)

CD 5

Running Time:

01 - Main Titles and Arrival at Naboo

02 - Queen Amidala and the Naboo Palace

03 - The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul

04 - The Adventures of Jar-Jar

05 - Arrival at Tatooine and the Flag Parade

06 - The Sith Spacecraft and the Droid Battle

07 - Watto's Deal and Kids At Play

08 - Anakin Defeats Sebulba

09 - Panaka and the Queen's Protectors

10 - Qui-Gon's Noble End (Percussive Suite)

11 - Conferring with Yoda and Qui-Gon's Funeral (Album Suite)

12 - Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits (Original Suite)

13 - Escape From Naboo (Republic Commando "Parjai" mix)

They're interesting for archival purposes but I can't imagine why you'd want to stick them in the score proper. That's a listening experience killer.

Hm, I just listened to samples of "Qui-Gon's Noble End". Besides the piece being wonderfully melodramatic (in my opinion), did anyone else notice that those "whisper" noises are in fact the choir whispering "Duel of the Fates"? For years, I just thought that was background noise from the generator room.

Yes, those whispers appear intermittently throughout the score (though I believe they appear on the UE much more than they're supposed to).

At the beginning, the first time Nute Gunray contacts Darth Sidious is one example. Darth Maul's first apperance is another.

They're interesting for archival purposes but I can't imagine why you'd want to stick them in the score proper. That's a listening experience killer.

Well the alernate mian titles could be used for AOTC or ROTS...

And well, escape from naboo first run kicks ass. :)

I'm a 'complete freak', I just can't help myself. :)

The set is made so that I keep as much alternative takes as I can on separate discs/folders, to help keep the 'listening experience killer' effect down to a minimum.

BTW, "New Space Action" in TFU is unreleased "Redemption". I'm figuring out the music to TFU right now, I might post edit instructions once I'm done.

Are you talking about "Rebel Battle"? That's what I revised the name to based on the actual titles of the files that feature it. The other unreleased action cue (heavy Imperial March and Force theme) is called "Imperial Battle." Good catch, but I'm not sure it's actually part of "Redemption," despite it featuring the same ostinato. The unreleased cue takes it a little slower. It's possible that it was meant to complement "Redemption," e.g. beginning on that final hit of Vader's theme ("Redemption" 2:09), although that's purely for the listening experience. Given that it's a game score Griskey probably didn't (or couldn't) intend the two cues to actually be combined. I suppose this unreleased cue is "stage two" of the battle or something. (Anybody who owns the game want to comment on how these two cues fit into the final battle?)

The unreleased "Imperial Battle" has a thematic connection to "Maris and the Bull Rancor," and to a lesser extent "General Kota and the Control Room."

I thought that "Imperial Battle" sort-of matched "Maris and the Bull Rancor". I think each cue was recorded in bits, the promo being a selection of those bits.

I've started posting beta mvs of what I am doing on my YouTube account (under the same name I use here)

18. EMERGENCY POWERS

BF2 yoda_strikes_emergency 1:41-1:47

This actually belongs to the "Captured" segment of the Conveyor Belt, you can hear it fade out as the ending of "New Authority" kicks in. All the music in the sequence you have here is tracked, not just "Arrival at Coruscant TPM" and "War Plans".

Okay I finally beat TFU just a few minutes ago. I for one enjoyed the game.

Anyways regarding the Y Audio Cable, I went on Amazon and placed an order for a 25 ft one which is an RCA version. Hopefully this one works, I'm still pissed that the one my dad got me one side was shot. If this new one does work I'll go back through the entire game and record all the music.

great!

fiddling with the SW prequel expanded scores is probably the only JW related activity we'll have this year

Indeed. If any new Star Wars games come out this year hopefully there will be even more unreleased music. I suspect within the next 5 years or so we may have complete edits for AOTC and ROTS (thanks to the games) before they're officially released

I look forward to the stuff they use in Battlefront III. I hope for complete renditions of Duel of the Fates Instrumental, Conveyor Belt and Heroes Collide.

Henry, how's the new list coming along?

Good news I got the Y Audio Cable today and everything works perfectly. I'll go through the game this weekend (will have to replay it all over again) and record the additional music I heard.

complete renditions of ... Conveyor Belt

This is already complete...

Unless of course he means film version...then again who the hell would want a hacked up version of the cue? As Henry stated it's all ready complete on the Target version of the OST (which I still need to get one day).

There was a small bit in it that is not anywhere else. Perhaps it might even be a missing bit of "Chase Through Coruscant" - even so, if we had the complete film version, we would have some more of the "Captured" segment (although the ending is wrong in the film - TFU cuts it off), and some of the unedited "Yoda Strikes Back" cue.

I finally managed to get the settings right and now doing stereo recordings instead of mono. Anyways, I'm listening to the Imperial March at the beginning when you play as Vader and for some reason this sounds like a very good recording, all though I'm wondering if it maybe one of the re-recordings.

I always think The Imperial March sounds better when im playing on the games (The Force Unleashed and Rouge Squadron 2). When I put the special edition CD in I always dispise it, even though its the same recording.

Okay...after going through the game there were only a few pieces of ROTS material I was able to salvage. Everything else I heard was mostly in cut scenes. The AOTC cue I heard had other cues over lapped it so it was useless and didn't bother recording it.

Anyways regarding ROTS I managed to record the following cues:

1: A small portion of the action piece from "The Death Of Dooku".

2: A portion of the unreleased bit from the end of "Fighting With Grievous".

3: The unreleased portion from the beginning of "Heroes Collide", which in my opinion they NEVER should have edited out of the album.

4: There was a piece from Scenes and Dreams that I managed to record...it was right before the unreleased portion kicks in but it should help with edits.

Like I said it's small stuff but it'll help. Henry and I have the files, you can PM either one of us for the link. Remember PM please.

Edit: I can't remember who mentioned it but during one of the cut scenes I did hear a good portion of "Palpatine's Big Pitch". It's too bad that it's not salvageable it was really good music.

that's great Trent!

The recordings sound flawless too.Is there anyway you can get the unedited ending of It Can't Be with no distortion?

Also maybe you can record Palpatine's Big Pitch anyways...at least maybe we could hear it clearer than the RVD rip?