The Versatility of John Williams

Luke Skywalker

Well, lets see if we can make a list with all the music genres/types John has touched and worked, even if it is just one cue in a soundtrack.

Examples:

Western (The Cowboys)

Irish music (Far and Away)

Pirate music (Hook)

Turkish Folk song (Last Crusade, i hope it was composed by Williams...)

Gospel? (Rosewood)

Middle East music (The Terminal)

Americana (the Patriot, American Journey, Born on the 4th of July...)

Medieval like music (Cues from PoA)

Christmas songs (Home Alone)

Ethnic Wail (Padme´s Ruminations 8O )

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you should call The Terminal "middle east" music... the middle east is Iraq, Iran, etc. is it not? It's east european if anything

I'm not sure you should call The Terminal "middle east" music... the middle east is Iraq, Iran, etc. is it not? It's east european if anything

Yeah i sliped that i meant east europe. :oops:

And Hitch, How should be called F&A? It´s cliched irish music or not?

I was mainly asking for music genres over film genres (though i said pirate movie, but i dont know how that muisc is called)

For example, star wars doesnt have a typical sci-fi score. Star wars (the 1st one) is more Romantic century...

I have developed a classification system for recognizing different types of JW music. Regardless of to what scenes the music serves, I would distinguish 17 catagories. Some cues could be placed in a different catagory, there is some overlap. Also there is clearly a whole spectrum within in each category, but there always is a certain coherence between the cues. Sometimes I regard what is known as thematic cues rather as underscore and vice versa. In each section I give some characteristic examples. I regard this a functional classification, in which almost every JW cue can be placed.

A. THEMATIC CUES

A1. Heroic thematic cues:

SW Main Theme, Superman March, JP End Credits, Theme from The Patriot, The Banquet, Call of the Champions, Summon the Heroes, Theme from Amazing Stories.

A2. Majestic thematic cues:

Theme from Jurassic Park, Harry Wondrous World, Flight to Neverland, Buckbeak's Flight; Home Alone Main Title, JFK Prologue, Amistad, Flying Theme from E.T., Over the Moon, End Titles from Jaws 2, Dreamwork Logo Sequence.

A3. Emotional thematic cues:

Theme from Schindler's List, Seven Years in Tibet, Theme from Angela's Ashes, Look Down Lord.

A4. Dark thematic cues:

Chamber of Secrets, Imperial March, Crimebuster, Dracula Main Title, Images, Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes, Hook-napped.

A5. Marches:

Raiders March, March from 1941, Midway March, The Droid Battle, The Olympic Spirit, We're Looking Good.

A6. Comedic thematic cues: The Terminal, Fitzwilly Ouverture, Aunt Marge's Waltz, Parade of the Ewoks, March of the Villains, The Little People, Jar Jar's Introduction, Norwegian Ridgeback, Moaning Myrtle, Hide and Seek, Cantina Band, Theme from the Reivers, No Ticket.

A7. Action scherzos:

The Asteroid Field, The Basket Game, The Forest Battle, Scherzo for Motorcycle, Escape from Venice, Mine Car Chase, Panaka and the Queen Protectors, Lost Boys Ballet, Holiday Flight, Scherzo for 'Today', The Flying Car, Swing Swing Swing, The Knight Bus.

B. UNDERSCORE

B1. Heroic underscore:

The Land Race, Rescuing Sarah last part, Ron's Speech, Return to Boston, The Cheering Crowd, Flight to Peru.

B2. Majestic underscore:

My Friend the Brachiosaur, Back to America, Theme from The Lost World, The Face of Pan, A Change of Season, Reunion of Friends, Making the List, Cadillac of the Skies, Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Road to Justice, Susan Speaks.

B3. Emotional underscore:

Theme from Sabrina, Jazz Autographs, Sean's Theme, How Can I Remember?, Moonlight, Why Do You Want The wee Children, Theme from Saving Private Ryan, The Patronus, For Always.

B4. Dark underscore:

Incident on Isla Nublar, Nixon, The Face of Voldemort, Apparition on the Train, Temple of Doom, Probing the Basement, Padme's Ruminations, Theme from Jaws, Auschwitz-Birkenau.

B5. Melodic action underscore:

Here They Come, T-rex Rescue and Finale, The Ultimate War, The Quidditch Match, The Battle, Zam the Assassin, Chasing Rockets, Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye, The Spiders.

B6. Essentially non-melodic, bitonal, atonal or dissonant action underscore:

Anderton's Great Escape, The Chess Game, The Whomping Willow, The Desert Chase, Visitor in San Diego, Ahh, rats!, The Intersection Scene, The Football Game, The Raptor's Attack.

B7. Time-filling underscore:

First half of Dark Side Beckons, lot of music that doesn't make it to the album releases.

C. OTHER

C1. Songs that cannot be categorized in section A or B:

Lapti Nek, If We Were In Love,...

C2. Concertos and solo concert pieces:

Concertos for violin, cello, clarinet, trumpet, tuba, bassoon, horn, flute, Treesong, Elegy,...

C3. Source music and other atypical music that cannot be categorized in section A, B, C1 or C2:

Krakozia National Anthem,...

The music you might be refering to with Pirate music is the so called

Swashbuckling genre (Korngoldian cheery swordfight music)

Few other genres (if they can be called that) come to mind:

Religious choral music (Empire of the Sun, Monsignor)

Jazz (to some extent)

Irish music (Far and Away)

;) Don't upset me! :wave:

It's better than U2...and you don't get more Irish than the Chieftains.

Does Rosenthal's 1916 Rising music upset you too Hitch?

I can't comment on Rosenthal's 1916 Rising music (was that from one of the young Indy series?) but I know I have a special place in my dark heart for Goldenthal's "Home to Cork" from MICHAEL COLLINS.

I can't comment on Rosenthal's 1916 Rising music (was that from one of the young Indy series?) but I know I have a special place in my dark heart for Goldenthal's "Home to Cork" from MICHAEL COLLINS.

Ya see, if I see a track with Cork in the title, it gets skipped. ;)

Has he ever written any cartoon scores or music for any animated sequences at all (except opening titles such as CATCH ME IF YOU CAN)?

TJ

The Dr.Know sequence in A.i.

K.M.

*Insert predictable Neil AotC/Prequel joke here*

That better :)

I thought about posting a prequel joke, but decided not to. However, I knew you couldn't pass up the opportunity to say I would do it.

Who is predictable now?

Neil