The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

Only alternate worth mentioning is the Breaking of the Fellowship. The others have only small differences and they have been edited together rather clumsily in the end credits. I am not overtly sad if the Breaking is not in the Box but it is a nice track.

Dont the EE DVD fan credits feature several alternates?

The end credis will be there as well. The ending of the film is split into 3 tracks:

- The Road Goes Ever On ... part 1

- May It Be

- The Road Goes Ever On ... part 2 (credits)

I'm not familiar enough with that part of the FotR EE (haven't watched it for ages) to know exactly what's different about the Lorien sequence, but I'm assuming that the alternate prologue is just The Prophecy from the OST? In any case I always assumed that it was some kind of concert track, and that most of the prologue was simply unreleased.

Simply put, the EE Farewell scene is a completely new cue. It starts out with the first couple of seconds from the theatrical cut, but then it's all new.

There are two versions of the prologue, the one heard in the EE (even more extended on this new soundtrack I suppose) and The Prophecy. The latter contains portions of the former, but otherwise it's a completely different cue.

Dont the EE DVD fan credits feature several alternates?

The end credis will be there as well. The ending of the film is split into 3 tracks:

- The Road Goes Ever On ... part 1

- May It Be

- The Road Goes Ever On ... part 2 (credits)

I'm not familiar enough with that part of the FotR EE (haven't watched it for ages) to know exactly what's different about the Lorien sequence, but I'm assuming that the alternate prologue is just The Prophecy from the OST? In any case I always assumed that it was some kind of concert track, and that most of the prologue was simply unreleased.

Simply put, the EE Farewell scene is a completely new cue. It starts out with the first couple of seconds from the theatrical cut, but then it's all new.

There are two versions of the prologue, the one heard in the EE (even more extended on this new soundtrack I suppose) and The Prophecy. The latter contains portions of the former, but otherwise it's a completely different cue.

Are you sure the Fan credits are there? I mean the credits are just very badly edited from alternate cues. There is no other point releasing them but of course for completeness' sake. the track titles above do not give away the fact that the fan credits would be included. Road Goes Ever On Part 1 contains Breaking of the Fellowship (my guess) and the Part 2 contains the rest of the End Credits (In Dreams and the few short variations of themes before ending with the Fellowship fanfare).

Please, let me clear up a few things: there are just two scenes that have a new, truly alternate score: the prologue and the Farewell To Lorien sequence.

Wrong, Journey To Weathertop is a different recording in the EE.

Also in the Theatrical version The Ring Goes South has (ethnic) drums added to it, the EE version is identical to what's on the CD.

Please, let me clear up a few things: there are just two scenes that have a new, truly alternate score: the prologue and the Farewell To Lorien sequence.

Wrong, Journey To Weathertop is a different recording in the EE.

Also in the Theatrical version The Ring Goes South has (ethnic) drums added to it, the EE version is identical to what's on the CD.

Good god! Is that true about the drums?! I always liked those über loud Daiko drums in the Ring Goes South. You raised once again some gnawing doubts and questions with that revelation Steef. Are they going to include the more quiet version of the drums or the louder? Does the Journey to the Weathertop contain significantly different music (It has been almost a year since I saw any version of FOTR so I do not remember)? And my LOTR fast is still on. No FOTR untill the Complete Recordings :thumbup:

Concerning the colour: I suppose they wanted to go with the colour of the Limited Edition soundtracks. FOTR has a red "leather" envelope, TTT comes in dark blue and ROTK in subdued green.

Yes, I think so too. I like the colours, but ideally, they should all be red.

Considering the format of that artwork, maybe they designed it like a real book, and the four discs are somehow embedded into it, perhaps like pages made of plastic that you can "turn over".

Doug Adams said over at MM.com that the box holds two "items": The discs and the booklet.

And yes, Journey to Weathertop is quite different in the EE.

Marian - liking that everyone seems to be using his title for that track (or did someone else come up with the exact same name as well?) :thumbup:

Concerning the colour: I suppose they wanted to go with the colour of the Limited Edition soundtracks. FOTR has a red "leather" envelope, TTT comes in dark blue and ROTK in subdued green.

Yes, I think so too. I like the colours, but ideally, they should all be red.

Considering the format of that artwork, maybe they designed it like a real book, and the four discs are somehow embedded into it, perhaps like pages made of plastic that you can "turn over".

Doug Adams said over at MM.com that the box holds two "items": The discs and the booklet.

And yes, Journey to Weathertop is quite different in the EE.

Marian - liking that everyone seems to be using his title for that track (or did someone else come up with the exact same name as well?) :thumbup:

Journey to Weathertop: If only we could get both versions. But most likely they just release the EE version.

It might be that the title is so apt that many have named the cue(s) that way.

Come on, the journey to Weathertop isn't different from the EE, it's just shorter.

I can't believe that with 3 hours of great music, you're compaining about an ominous drum rhythm.

Anyway, the point is: Original Soundtrack + Complete Recordings = complete works

Come on, the journey to Weathertop isn't different from the EE, it's just shorter.  

I can't believe that with 3 hours of great music, you're compaining about an ominous drum rhythm.

Anyway, the point is: Original Soundtrack + Complete Recordings = complete works

Well I was not aware the TC Journey to the Weathertop was not that different since I have not seen the film for a year. Thanks for the information. I can stop this fretting which I am too prone to do anyway :|

Excuse me.

Were the fuck does it say that i'm complaining?

Scheisse Moderator!

This is one of those pointless arguments that go on and on and on and.......

This is one of those pointless arguments that go on and on and on and.......

The Road goes ever on and on

out from the door were it began

Now far ahead the road has gone,

Let other follow it who can!

Let them journey a new begin.

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

LOL LOL LOL

But really could we discuss about LOTR music instead of sniding each other all the time.

I'm not complaining about a drum rhythm. I'm talking about the padding of the melody line and the added string counterpoint. I believe the original piece was amazing it it's brevity and simplicity (not too much and not too little), and therefore prefer it to the reworked version.

Marian - who considers this a major difference.

So do I but i'm not really gonna fuss about it.

There's an awfull lot of music in these pictures so I can understand choices have to be made.

If we only the music from the Extended DVD editions then that is absolutely 100% fine with me.

Excuse me.  

Were the fuck does it say that i'm complaining?

Wasn't you.

I'm not complaining about a drum rhythm. I'm talking about the padding of the melody line and the added string counterpoint. I believe the original piece was amazing it it's brevity and simplicity (not too much and not too little), and therefore prefer it to the reworked version.

Doesn't matter whether you nitpick about this or that, it remains nitpicking :)

EDIT: Marian, you were too early :)

Alright, agreed!

So have you guys found any new pieces of music we should worry about? No new different versions from TC or alternates? Is there anything for me to fret about? :|

What is this talk about earlier UK release date of the Box? FSM MB has a thread concerning this:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...30540&forumID=1

Could this be true? If it is it's not fair :| (Life's usually not fair).

Nice that you get it early (if this rumor is true that is). :|

I have to wait for several weeks and hear the glee and giddy profestations of joy in the net :)

There is nothing I hate more than not be able to join in those giddy people in their joy and extasy of finally hearing the complete FOTR score :angry:

But wait and see. Maybe that early British release date is just a rumor.

If this release date turns out to be true then i'm getting mine at play.com.

Damn that is expensive compared to the other sites! But still better have it earlier than later. And hey Play.com accepts Visa Electron! How nice. In the utmost end of need I shall purchase my FOTR box there.

Sounds good! If the Box is released truly early in the UK I order without hesitation then. Great.

Given how recently it's appeared on the UK sites, and that they all say the same date, then I'm inclined to think that we do get it before the US :D

Oh, and I'll be getting it from HMV as it's the cheapest of the lot, around £32 I think.

Given how recently it's appeared on the UK sites, and that they all say the same date, then I'm inclined to think that we do get it before the US :D

Oh, and I'll be getting it from HMV as it's the cheapest of the lot, around £32 I think.

That is not much more expensive than in Play. I do not have a choise but to order there since I do not have Visa or any other credit card that I could pay with.

I'm surprised actually that HMV is the cheapest - I've always known them to charge the full RRP on everything. I'm never surprised to see the theatrical version of Fellowship to be the full £24.99 even though Play.com had it for about £7 last time I saw :D

What do you mean, half? It's £37,99 at Play.com

Oh it's in pounds I am thinking in euros :D So it is not that much more expensive. No problem there then.

I'm surprised actually that HMV is the cheapest - I've always known them to charge the full RRP on everything.

The local HMV is the most expensive mainstream CD store here in Vienna.

Marian - :)

Also, does anyone know if the 'Lord of the Rings' symphony is going to get CD treatment, either by Shore or by another other conductor? Now that it's a 'serious' symphonic work, meaning it's more likely to get played now that it's in solid symphony structure (Almost like a Mahler work, in length anway), are any orchestras set to record it?

Tim

No idea why it is so expensive. It amounts to 60 euros and that is expensive (though the EE ROTK cost 65 euros and I was the first to buy it :wave: ). But the price does not matter only the music.

And no I do not think that the Symphony will be recorded yet (atleast for a while). I think it would be nice if they did but since the complete scores are going to be available it renders the Symphony to a secondary place in my eyes. It is a great work and it is great to see film music receive such treatment and see a life of its own in the concert halls around the world but it is not on my list of things that should be recorded. Just my personal opinion.

I know it's expensive, and I was expecting a price somewhere around this. I'd have been surprised if it went for anything below about £20 (which would be a more realistic price IMO)

But considering that we're getting over 3 hours of music, plus a DVD and some pretty cool packaging, it could be a lot worse, and in the end I really don't care - I want this music, now.

now that it's in solid symphony structure

But it doesn't have symphonic structure. Shore called it a "symphony", but the term "suite" would have been more appropriate.

Marian - who thinks the FOTR set is not cheap, but not really that expensive compared to normal soundtrack releases.

It is not that expensive since a regular new soundtrack costs about 21 euros here in Finland and when you think of the Box there are 3 CDs and a DVD so that is just about a reasonable price and you practically get the DVD for free.

And think about it. Less than a month for the release if the earlier British release date is correct :)