The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

I am getting all giddy just by thinking about it. All this wait and suffering will be over. I am still on a LOTR fast so I do not listen to the music or watch the films untill I get the Box. This is torture but it is all the better when I get the Box. :)

now that it's in solid symphony structure

But it doesn't have symphonic structure. Shore called it a "symphony"' date=' but the term "suite" would have been more appropriate.[/qiuote']

They should have called it LOTR: Greatest Hits. 8O

Marian - who thinks the FOTR set is not cheap, but not really that expensive compared to normal soundtrack releases.

A regular CD costs about 20 Euro's here, so 60 Euro's for 3 CD's and a DVD certainly isn't to bad.

now that it's in solid symphony structure

But it doesn't have symphonic structure. Shore called it a "symphony", but the term "suite" would have been more appropriate.

They should have called it LOTR: Greatest Hits. :mrgreen:

That sounds like something out of a musical.

I can just see Frodo and Sam singing some Bert & Ernie Best Friends song. 8O

They should have called it LOTR: Greatest Hits. 8O

That's pretty much what "suite" was often used for... e.g. Grieg's Peer Gynt suites or Bizet's Carmen suite.

And Marc, there is a LOTR musical, apparently... the TORn site seems to have some info on it.

A regular CD costs about 20 Euro's here, so 60 Euro's for 3 CD's and a DVD certainly isn't to bad.

Exactly.

Marian - wondering what the regular price in local stores will be.

Nope, the suffering for FOTR will soon be over, but it's still a looooong way to go until RotK 8O

Yep. But the suffering will be alleviated by FOTR complete score and TTT complete score so it will a soft landing IMO. Now we do not have no complete score to compensate yet :mrgreen:

And there is a LOTR musical that was written by Finnish folk music band called Värttinä (=Spindle in English). I have not much regard for the band or their music but I have not heard the LOTR musical music. It has been playing in London for some time I think though I have no idea is it still running.

Suite or Symphony makes no difference but only in name. It is as Stefan said a compilation of cues from LOTR scores. That LOTR Greatest Hits would be an apt name for it if it didn't sound so cheap :| . Unfortunately I have not heard the Symphony since Scandinavia was skipped by the LOTR Symphony Tour as were many other coutries.

I have asked and begged our Helsinki Philharmonics to perform it but my hopes are not high. It is big production to be sure and the financial side is always the tricky part. That kind of concert costs alot of money.

It is big production to be sure and the financial side is always the tricky part.

Hey, we Germans did it, so you surely can, too! :|

Twist the knife in the wound will you! I am so disappointed Shore skipped the whole Scandinavia. Finland would have been a good place as any to perform the Symphony. Our choirs would not even need phonetically transcribed choral lyrics since Sindarin and Quenya are pronounced almost like Finnish (I know hard to believe but it's true). And we have numerous good orchestras. Pity they all look down their noses the film music and do not take the opportunity to perform the wonderful Symphony. I guarantee every performance would be sold out. I hope some orchestra will realize how good the Symphony really is.

Has there been any news about the European release date? Or Scandinavia? I am just trying to decide whether to order the Box from UK or wait for our own release date (whenever that might be). None of the stores here have been informed (I heard today that Warner has a funny way of not informing the stores here in Finland).

Good God that Box looks übercool! We wants it my preciouss we wants it right now!

-Incanus whose internet connection was out for 3 whole days and whose mind is already deteriorating to Gollum level in the absence of the net- :mrgreen:

I have some questions (I don't feel like re-reading the whole thread):

1) Where will be released this complete release?

2) Is it really "complete"?

3) Will the other 2 scores have this wonderful release?

4) How insanely will cost this?

5) Why us poor Indy fans can't have the same orgasmic release?

Thanks in advance.

Mirko - who waited to these releases to discover this scores. :D

1) As far as I know, America and Britain. Bot sure though.

2) With the exception of some alternate takes (many of which are included in the OST), yes.

3) Yes, probably within a year of the first release

4) I got it for $41 U.S., $60 is the worst I've seen.

5) Because god hates us

You should be able to find it around December 13th at quality record stores. Out November 29 in the UK.

It contains all music featured in the Extended Edition as well as music cut from the film. We have not, however, found indications that this release also include alternates or theatrical versions.

Yes. By the end of 2006 we will have all 3 scores.

Looks like it's going to be around 50 Euros.

Life sucks.

- Marc, too kind.

You should be able to find it around December 13th at quality record stores. Out November 29 in the UK.

I'm sure that my usual store will have it. Even if the soundtrack section sucks, they still have all of the LOTR's OSTs.

They also have both editions of the DVD-set, so I think they'll have this LOTR item as well.

It contains all music featured in the Extended Edition as well as music cut from the film. We have not, however, found indications that this release also include alternates or theatrical versions.

I highly suspected it was 100% complete, but 4 CDs are enought for me, since I don't even have the OSTs.

Yes. By the end of 2006 we will have all 3 scores.

It was inevitable. I mean, why they should have done this with only one score? It would have been senseless.

Looks like it's going to be around 50 Euros.

That's not that much...it's around 12.5 € each CD, plus a great booklet and box-set, so it's more than worthy.

Life sucks.

Yes, really. ;) (like Holland, you lost 1-3 yesterday!!)

:D

- Marc, too kind.

As always. Thanks again. :P

the box is cheap when consider how great is the content. 50 or 60€ is not that much for 3 CDs and a DVD.

I payed nearly 50€ for the SW Special Collector's Edition soundtracks back in 1999 so 50€ is not a bad price at all for the LOTR set. And I would pay anything they asked. That music is priceless.

Given that we've established only 2 significant alternates (Prologue & Lothlorien), I'm not worried about that.

The only other unclear thing is whether the fan club credits are included, but I haven't done a DVD rip as all the material is stuff from the OST, so again, I'm not concerned.

As long as this contains the unedited versions of everything we heard in the movie, I'm happy :D

the box is cheap when consider how great is the content. 50 or 60€ is not that much for 3 CDs and a DVD.

I payed nearly 50€ for the SW Special Collector's Edition soundtracks back in 1999 so 50€ is not a bad price at all for the LOTR set. And I would pay anything they asked. That music is priceless.

Oh. I thought it was 4 CDs. :oops:

Then, it's 3 CDs and 1 DVD.

The question is pretty spontaneous...what's there is in the DVD? ;)

As long as this contains the unedited versions of everything we heard in the movie, I'm happy :)

And with that, you're telling me that we're going to have a different release then the Ultimate Edition of The Phantom Menace, without tons of edit?

If yes, yayyy. :D

Well the DVD contains the complete score in 5.1 audio but there could be something extra there too (I am not sure)! Whether that is a dream come true or not depends largely are you a audiophile and how good is your sound system and do you have a DVD player.

As long as this contains the unedited versions of everything we heard in the movie, I'm happy ;)

And with that, you're telling me that we're going to have a different release then the Ultimate Edition of The Phantom Menace, without tons of edit?

If yes, yayyy. :D

I just hope they understood that TPM needs a proper complete release. I hope and hope but I am pretty sceptic how that whole complete release of Prequels scores will turn out in the far future.

I can't be bothered to dig it out right now, but I'm pretty sure I read a quote from Doug Adams which said that if music is heard in the movie, it'll be included, and more specifically, if it was edited in some way to fit the film, we'll get the originally recorded, unedited version.

So yeah, as I understand it, we're getting a SE, not another UE :D

Well the DVD contains the complete score in 5.1 audio but there could be something extra there too (I am not sure)! Whether that is a dream come true or not depends largely are you a audiophile and how good is your sound system and do you have a DVD player.

OK, so it's a DVD Audio, then?

I'm quite an audiopile, but there's a doubt. Would you have preferred more music? (Also, with 4 CDs the price could have been low).

I don't know. Sure having the music on a 5.1 DVd it's the top, but maybe they could have used the fourth disc as another score-CD.

Thanks for the answers, by the way. ;)

EDIT:

I just hope they understood that TPM needs a proper complete release. I hope and hope but I am pretty sceptic how that whole complete release of Prequels scores will turn out in the far future.

I fear that the people who own the music will ever consider the Ultimate Edition as...Ultimate Edition. :D

Something like a Definitive Edition, something that will never receive a better release. :)

I really hope my fear is sooo wrong.

I don't know. Sure having the music on a 5.1 DVd it's the top, but maybe they could have used the fourth disc as another score-CD.

There would not have been much to put on the fourth disc if there had been one. Few alternates and takes on different cues perhaps but nothing new and essential. 5.1 audio DVD is an excellent idea. How many other scores have such possibility to be heard in so brilliant sound (apart from scores released as DVD audio that is :D )?

You mean the price?

Because generally CDs are cheaper than DVDs, so, in theory, 4 CDs should have been cheaper than 3 CDs+1 DVD.

It's not a problem for me to spend 4-5 euros more, thought.

How much lower the price of the Box could go? An average CD here in Finland costs about 20€. 3 times 20€ makes 60€ plus a DVD of the music that should rise the price to about 80 €. So we get it quite cheap unless we want to compain about it out of sheer miserliness. They want to make a littl eprofit out of the release so the price just about what I expected it to be.

You mean the price?

Because generally CDs are cheaper than DVDs, so, in theory, 4 CDs should have been cheaper than 3 CDs+1 DVD.

It's not a problem for me to spend 4-5 euros more, thought.

What are you talking about?

DVD's with fairly new films go for 10 to 15 Euro's.

Most CD's go for around 20.

It is amazing how the CD prices are still so high. The format has been around for 20 or more years and still they fetch an average price of 20 €.

Given that we've established only 2 significant alternates (Prologue & Lothlorien), I'm not worried about that.

There's also the original version of Journey to Weathertop and the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship that can be found on the EE end credits. And who knows what other alternates may have been recoreded?

And perhaps we may never know all the hidden gems that ended up in the WB vaults of all the LOTR trilogy. All those 3000 takes sure have some unreleased alternate material for us :D

And who knows what other alternates may have been recoreded?

Eh. I think an alternate should be put in if it's really "alternate" (think for example to the two different versions of "Through the wall" in Raiders of the Lost Ark). If they're just re-recordings (like the Star Wars Main Theme at the end of the Star Wars re-releases) they're not essential, thought I'd put them anyways for completition sake.