The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it was not true after all. And none of us would have downloaded it any way since we are content to wait. Right? :P

Of course IT is the box.

The reason why I'm sure? Because ifpopular things have few sources, it means that that are just been uploaded, and need to be shared.

Also,if you look at the filenames I posted, you can see clearly the "3 CD" in each filename. There wasn't so long bootleg before. I searched a couple months ago (before reading the news of the upcoming official expansion) and I only found smaller extended bootleg, most of them with 2 CDs. As far as I know, a 3 CDs bootleg doesn't exist.

I bet that if you search again, you'll find the same files I posted, with double sources they used to have yesterday. :P

We will be arguing about this until the Box has already been released :P

OK, so the Box is the second one, "causally" the one with more sources than the others.

- Howard Shore's Fellowship Of The Ring - 3 Discs Edition - by Dwr.rar

That's the only one who only have "FOTR" in the title. So that's the Box for sure.

And yes, you were right, I didn't noticed the "Fellowship-Towers-Return" in the 3rd title. Probably the first one isn't the Box as well.

Who not wait a few days so you can get this box in superiour sound quality, and a nice booklet.

It's like giving your virginity to a 16 year old polish crack whore in the back of Amsterdam Central Station instead of waiting for the right person.

Who not wait a few days so you can get this box in superiour sound quality, and a nice booklet.

It's like giving your virginity to a 16 year old polish crack whore in the back of Amsterdam Central Station instead of waiting for the right person.

LOL Brilliant comparison.

I am content to wait. I raged for a week but now I am calm and composed :P

We must detach ourselves from our emotions.

Indeed. There is no emotion there is only peace.

There is no emotion there is only peace.

Is this from a John Lennon's song?

LOL Actually a Jedi mantra from the Knights of the Old Republic.

OK, so the Box is the second one, "causally" the one with more sources than the others.  

- Howard Shore's Fellowship Of The Ring - 3 Discs Edition - by Dwr.rar  

That's the only one who only have "FOTR" in the title. So that's the Box for sure.

Tommy, I'm sorry, it's not. I've DOWLOADED it!

It's from the Jedi code.

Indeed. Where is this Jedi Code written in its entirety?

LoL I'm sorry for you. Too bad download a huge file and realize it's a fake, huh? Is that the Trilogy set Marc provided the link?

By the way, it's even worse when you download a file, and you realize it's password-protected. :|

He lied...he lied to us!

I told you he would never consciously betray Reprise and Howard Shore.

There has been this complaint about the leaving out of the Fan Credits from the FOTR release and I was wondering what you guys think about it. For me that is not the end of the world or ruin the Box but for some this is a serious flaw. Doug Adams explained the reason for this decision to leave the Fan Credits off the release in his recent post to the FSM MB and he made alot of sense (atleast to me) with his reasoning and the reasoning Shore had had when he compiled the music for the release: The independent and well rounded listening experience of the complete score. Adams also said they had trimmed some sustained notes and repeated phrases (e.g. Isengard percussion repeats only 3 times instead of 7) and such to the total amount of 40 seconds (for the whole score) to make the cues flow better and I see very little to complain in that. The music is intact and flows better.

Of course the little completist in me may want to point out that the music is not exactly as heard in the film but such small tweaks to make the music listenable do not make me loose my night's sleep. It is not like Shore would have shortened the cues themselves in any drastic manner or rearranged the cues to make a more pleasurable listening experience as certain other composer who shall go here unnamed is wont to do.

All in all I think we are fretting over small and in the end insignificant little matters.

Minor edits to make over three hours of score flow better is ok by me really. As far as fan credits material is concerned….. *cough* Appendices?… ;) I did ask Doug once earlier in the year if there could ever be a place for material like that on a future release, and he said, as he hints on FSM, that it’s possible, if not indeed actually the plan.

His FSM comment:

“…And besides, wouldn’t that piece be better used as part of a collection of particularly interesting unused takes (or first drafts) that could stand alone (at some later point) where they wouldn’t disrupt the beautiful musical story-telling taking place? I’m just saying…”

I absolutely agree with him about where such material is better off, but it gets me wondering whether Return of the King will have an extra ‘appendices’ disc housing choice selections of unused and alternate material from all three films, or whether that material alone could fuel a dedicated CD release of its own. Since Doug has hinted each LOTR score set may well get bigger in size (in terms of how many discs there are in each set), then we could well get this kind of material on an additional disc in the ROTK package. One can’t really claim to know the Lord of the Rings if they’ve not read the appendices section of the book, so in a way I think it could be a fitting name to house a selection of musical rarities from the trilogy in future.

You make a good point. Doug also said that TTT and ROTK contain much more alternate cue and sections than FOTR. If they are released with ROTK or separately with TTT and ROTK Boxes makes no difference to me. The main point is that they are released. The Appendix idea is a good one. To collect all the alternates in a one disc (whether it is a CD or DVD as was the original idea by Peter Jackson if I remember correctly) is a good idea to cap of the releases with it. Oh well we will have to wait and see. I have full confidence in Doug and all people involved in the Boxed sets release.

Oh and that particular sentence your quote from Doug did not register with me untill I read it a second time ;) I was little tired when I first read it this morning.

Doug also said that TTT and ROTK contain much more alternate cue and sections than FOTR.

There was certainly a hint that each set as they progress from one to the other will likely be bigger in regards to how many CDs are in there (this makes sense of course, given - like the films - each score got progressively longer). Unused, but intended, material is at least being restored back to its rightful place as we know... Now whether this includes potential entire cues that we've never heard for scenes deleted we've still no idea. Wasn’t Sissel’s bit in the Return of the King extended credits meant for a sequence showing the aftermath at Pelennor building up to Pippin finding Merry? (I'd LOVE to think there might be a cue out there for the deleted epilogue sequence shot for ROTK but goodness knows if there is or not).

It'll be interesting to see how it all ends up, or more to the point, where it all ends up. I certainly remember from the Shore Q&A session held in London in the run up to him doing the Royal Festival Hall concert he talked about the set, back when it was going to be one big set, and the idea of a so called 'rarities' disc was always on the cards from the beginning (it seemed to be material Peter Jackson really wanted to put out there too).

Oh and that particular sentence your quote from Doug did not register with me untill I read it a second time

;) Once you get used to it it’s easy to home in on what Doug is really hinting at. He's great like that though. It's a blessing to have him involved with the set so we can all have an idea of what to expect.

;) Once you get used to it it’s easy to home in on what Doug is really hinting at. He's great like that though. It's a blessing to have him involved with the set so we can all have an idea of what to expect.

Oh I have been very thankfull we have had Doug as a middle man who can tell us about the progress of the release and all the other info about the LOTR music. That is a rare treat as the composers tend to be far away personalities to us fans (even more to us fans who live on another continent and do not get to even see them perform). Doug has made us fans feel like we are part of the process (in a sense) and kept us up with the latest developments on the LOTR music. And Doug has tirelessly answered our sometimes even rash and silly questions with utmost patience.

Well Doug has stressed countless times on various forums that such a thing won’t be happening. At most I could see them maybe offering some kind of sleeve to house all three sets in like Warner did for the extended DVDs, but I trust Doug’s word when he says nothing will come containing more music or exclusive content.

One more week to go... assuming Warner/Reprise mean it this time. :thumbup:

I accept Doug's explanation of the missing Fan Credits, especially with the possibility of a separate CD with alternates in sight.

However, the trimming down of some cues, although enhancing the listening pleasure, doesn't sit very well with me. It's a matter of principle. Cutting down several cues to make them flow better is like hiding the score's flaws; as small as these flaws are, but the repetition of the Isengart percussion in the movie is a composer's choice, not an editor's, and is therefor a legitimate part of the score, just like sustained notes.

The task of this soundtrack box is not listenability, but completeness (again, this is what "Complete Recording" indicates). Listenability is clearly the domain of the single disc version.

Cut music to make it flow better ... that's what PJ did with the movies, isn't it? He cut scenes, sometimes crucial ones, to make the films flow better for the mass audience, but they were back in the Extended Editions. And not for the broad mass, but for fans, who wanted to see as much material as possible.

The OST is like the 2 DVD version of the films: for the normal person, who want to see a normal, well- paced film.

The Complete Recordings are the EEs: for fans, who don't care too much for pacing and logic.

That would be plain evil - they wouldn't do that to their loyal (and very patient :roll: ) fans

Unless Reprise gets overrun by the team of monkeys currently running thair marketing section ;)

Damn those monkeys! :thumbup: I hope they get them in control by the time the next Box set comes out.

I understand your concern and your point gkgyver. I am a soundtrack completist and know what you mean. But if I have to choose between a complete score with few trims and no complete score at all I will take the trimmed (40 seconds) version any day. I would love to hear those 40 seconds of material but I am not complaining about it even out of principle.That was shore's decision and there is naught we can do about it. I am just grateful we get these releases in this form so soon after the films have been released. Not that I promote badly done complete score releases but this definitely is not one of them. Wait and hear all three complete scores and then say if the whole production was unsatifactory.

I'm just worried about these releases because they are obviously the final versions. Unless a highly greedy company promotes another series of LOTR boxes with these 40 seconds, in about 30 years from now, this is all we'll get (in our lifetime). So if they make a mistake here, "we'll regret it forever".

The task of this soundtrack box is not listenability, but completeness (again, this is what "Complete Recording" indicates). Listenability is clearly the domain of the single disc version.

Shore obviously did not think so. But you just have to suffer those missing 40 seconds (as do we all).

Oh and I do not think any record company would any time soon take up such massive production as this LOTR music is. These will be the final complete presentations we will get.

Please, let's not confuse things. These sh***y 40 seconds diminish my anxiety, my listening pleasure in NO way. It's just: saying "complete" means doing "complete".

Please, let's not confuse things. These sh***y 40 seconds diminish my anxiety, my listening pleasure in NO way. It's just: saying "complete" means doing "complete".

I must respect your principle and agree with that last sentence. They should not promise things they do not intend to deliver.

So what if we have to upgrade in 30 years time? :)

I can see the advertisement already: "Now for the first time all the music from the prestigious LOTR trilogy now complete. All three scores fully restored with 40 seconds of new music each! Buy yours today!" LOL LOL

Adams also said they had trimmed some sustained notes and repeated phrases (e.g. Isengard percussion repeats only 3 times instead of 7) and such to the total amount of 40 seconds (for the whole score) to make the cues flow better and I see very little to complain in that. The music is intact and flows better.

Am i the only one who thinks the music presented in the Complete recordings is the actual Shore's version and the LOOPED measures are edits made for the movie?

Just think about the invasion of Naboo, the way it is the film repeated three times is cool, but williams just composed two.

And sustained notes are not ways to end a cue that is going to be continued by another cue? The SW SEs have plenty of that.

I dont think any muisc is being lost.

I'm not really upset about the exclusion of the alternate BotF as I've ripped it from the DVD (although the quality isn't perfect, as the whole of the fan credits sounds very compressed), and I'm not familiar enough with the EE of FotR (TT and Rotk are another matter though) to probably notice if a cue has been slightly cut down.

And hey, I wonder if any of us can spot the changes... if we can't then obviously no harm's been done :P

Next Tuesday can't come fast enough - those sound clips are driving me mad :|

Am i the only one who thinks the music presented in the Complete recordings is the actual Shore's version and the LOOPED measures are edits made for the movie?  

Just think about the invasion of Naboo, the way it is the film repeated three times is cool, but williams just composed two.

Ahem, are you comparing the edited prequel scores to the edited (if there ever was such a thing in LOTR) score for FOTR? I think I can safely say that Peter Jackson put a great deal more effort into the creation and inclusion of the score than George Lucas. Even the prologue, which was a last second thing, got completely rescored and rerecorded. Considering the huge amount of tracked music in the prequels, Lucas didn't give a damn about that.

There wasn't a single note of tracked or looped music in TTT or ROTK, and Shore was writing while Jackson was editing the movie; Shore had a much "easier" schedule for FOTR, so what on earth makes you think that there's even a single bar of music that wasn't specifically conceived for the movie?

There wasn't a single note of tracked or looped music in TTT or ROTK, and Shore was writing while Jackson was editing the movie; Shore had a much "easier" schedule for FOTR, so what on earth makes you think that there's even a single bar of music that wasn't specifically conceived for the movie?

Are you suggesting there is no music tracked in anywhere in either TTT or RotK?

Well I've noticed at least 2 instances - during the warg attack, when Legolas is on the hill seeing them approach, about 5-10 secs of Khazad Dum music is tracked into the 'Helm's Deep' cue. Also, when they ride out of Helm's Deep, before Gandalf's appearance, the 'march' in the film has a small section edited out (ok, so not looped, but still noticeably edited)

But other than that, it is remarkably free of editing. There isn't a single loop or obvious cut in any of my DVD rips of all 3 movies, but then Shore's schedule for the second 2 movies probably accounts for that as he was more 'in tune' with how the scene was shaping out.

Alright, you've spotted two (although I'm not sure whether the second one really is an edit), but I'm thinking in the dimensions of GL- putthatintherewhatthehell- score- slaying.