• Jar Jar Binks
    • Ewoks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a problem with the Ewoks as characters by themselves. What is a problem for me however is the role they played in defeating a legion of the Emperor's best troops.

Having said that, Jar Jar as a comparative character is still far more annoying.

I dont find the ewok annoying. I dont find the Gungans annoying (pretty interesting civilisation IMO) This should be gungans-ewoks poll or Jar jar-wicket poll.

I find some of jar jar´s antics in TPM annoying, but not all, I like the matured Jar jar in AOTC and ROTS.

Wicket is a 'cute' teddy bear.

I know I will be minority voting the Ewoks, but these have something which make them incredibly more annoying that Jar Jar: they ARE on the original trilogy (the new Weesa free really doesn't count).

I love them both.

:music:

I can tolerate the Ewoks - they have their moments.....

Does anyone remember that frog/liquidizer flash game that was going round a few years ago? Someone should re-write that but with Jar-Jar starring.....

Greg - who hates Jar-Jar with a vengeance - the level of Episode I was brought down way too low with that s**tkicker in tow.....

But judging solely by the ability to annoy, I guess Jar Jar. He is meant to be annoying anyway.

Well, to young kids he's meant to be hilarious. I remember when I saw "The Phantom Menace" for the first time in the theater, a little kid no older than nine laughed long and hard at Jar Jar landing on the family jewels when he flew onto the tank.

And then when he was trying to outrun the balls. And then when he stepped in the poop on Tatooine. And then when Qui-gon caught his tongue.

The list goes on. When that kid grows up, he'll wonder why he wasted laughing muscles on Jar Jar. He should have saved them for the Yoda/Dooku fight three years later.

I thought this would be a thread like "Which theme is better?" or something.

I like the reality better. :music:

Jar-Jar is by far more annoying, though hitting stormtroopers with rocks to defeat the Galactic Empire was never high on my list of Lucas's OT achievments.

I like the matured Jar jar in AOTC and ROTS.

You mean when he has like three lines?

~Sturgis

Does anyone remember that frog/liquidizer flash game that was going round a few years ago?  Someone should re-write that but with Jar-Jar starring.....

Yousa ain't gotsa da balls.

Neil

I like the matured Jar jar in AOTC and ROTS.

You mean when he has like three lines?

~Sturgis

no, i mean that in AOTC in ROTS he is not annoying, and i wouldnt mind a larger role.

Anyway, he is responsible of Palpatines power....

In AOTC he (The most annoying character in the SW saga) brings about the Imperial Empire.

He has no role in ROTS....

Justin - Who thinks there should be a third option in the poll.....Lucas. :wave:

Well if he were after money in the prequels, why create Jar Jar?

He knew older people werent going to like it.

Why change the OT, knowing OT lovers will not buy them?

He does what he wants with and in his movies, not what people want to see. That makes many people not wanting to see them...

There was an interview Lucas did about a month or two before Sith came out that was a bit revealing to me. I forget who it was now that did the interview... too lazy to go look it up. Before I go any further, let me just say for the record that I have always been and always will be a Lucas supporter in terms of they are his films and he can do whatever he wishes with them. He has certainly made some questionable choices over the years in my opinion, but that's a different debate for a different time.

Now having said that, during this particular interview Lucas talked about his divorce and the semi retirement he went into to raise his adopted children... stuff we have all heard before. Where it got interesting is when he flat out admitted that the main reason by his own account he decided to do the prequels was because he needed more revenue for future projects and visions. What many may not realize is that he was basically back to square one before Jedi was released because of investing profits from Star Wars to make Empire. Marsha also took a big chunk in '83 with the divorce. He of course made a lot of money back from Jedi, but apparently it wasn't enough for the long haul. I know it is not the only reason he did the films, but it was shocking to hear those words actually come out of his mouth.

Pter Jackson releases God knows how many versions of the films and the soundtracks, plus all the merchandise, and Lucas is a selfish egomaniac capitalist and Peter Jackson a true uncompromised artist. Heck, he's doing his dream project next, he only got paid 20 million by studio.

I don't recall ever hearing of Jackson getting percentages of the merchandise. Also, there are only two versions of his films (unless you count the release of FotR with the TTT preview added to it), of which the second was announced, and both are widely available.

I still don't see how is it bad thing to make money with one's movies.

Even when he clearly puts the marketing ahead of the story? At times these movies seem to be just glorified toy ads and not interested in story telling.

Neil

I really don't see how the originals were different in that regard, even though I disagree with the story telling angle. You can criticize Lucas forwhat he did with the prequels, but they do contain plenty of plot.

I really don't see how the originals were different in that regard, even though I disagree with the story telling angle. You can criticize Lucas forwhat he did with the prequels, but they do contain plenty of plot.

I never said the word "prequel" in my post, purposely not singling out any Star Wars era.

Prequel lovers can be so defensive. :)

Neil

;) Sorry about that. I'm too used to your prequel bashing :)

From what I've read, Neil likes TPM much more than ROTJ.

Much is such a strong word.

I can sit through TPM. ROTJ makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out.

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe I do like it much more.

Neil - who voted for Ewoks

Why change the OT, knowing OT lovers will not buy them?

But they did buy them.

Then they did not do anything more than encourage the no release of the original version of the OT.

Anyway, I still step on earth and the sky is over my head. No, i dont think Neil has bought it. :)

Well if he were after money in the prequels, why create Jar Jar?

He knew older people werent going to like it.

The answer is that he wanted to create a new fan base in addition to the one that existed. I'm sure he believed that it would be a perfect union to get 10 year old kids involved off the bat, combined with the first generation fans. Not bad thinking per se, but unfortunately he never saw the backlash coming. Setting aside debating the movies themselves and what I wish were different, the one thing that truly bothers me the most is how Lucas claimed these movies were for kids all through The Phantom Menace and after. Then in the next episode, the audience gets treated to a love story that covers nearly half of Attack of the Clones. I don't know any 13 year old that was at all interested in that aspect of the film. I realize it was a necessary part to develop the saga, but it seems like a contradiction is beginning. Then, upon the release of Sith, Lucas goes on record telling parents to not let the very age of fanbase go to see his final installment which according to him six years earlier was for them in the first place. Does that make any sense to anyone?

I still don't see how is it bad thing to make money with one's movies.

I don't think it's wrong to want to make money and market a film properly. That's what gets me so angry about those elitist film snobs who think $pielberg is nothing more than a Hollywood moneymonger. The fact is that you can create art and still make a hell of a living off of it...nothing wrong with that.

In Lucas's case, he was an up and coming director with such promise until Star Wars was released. From that point on, he became more of a businessman than a filmmaker. And that really saddens me because I often wonder (as I'm sure others do) where and what he could have done throughout the years if he would have left the comfort zone he had created.

The Ewoks, since they represent the downfall of the Star Wars movies. When Jar Jar came, the series was already too badly damaged. So, definitely the Ewoks!!!

The Ewoks never bothered me, because by the time I finally saw ROTJ I already knew about them, having had several Ewok action figures in my childhood (they were later used for some of my early pyrotechnic experiments, but that's a different story).

Jar Jar was a new and immidiate shock.

Much like the bathroom was in PSYCHO in 1960. Shock, horror. A toilet. And look it flushes too.

Bilbo Bagshot: What about the Ewoks eh? They were rubbish. You don't complain about them.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... f**kin'... Shaft.

----------------------------

[to a Star Wars: The Phantom Menace fan]

Tim Bisley: You are so blind! You so do not understand! You weren't there at the beginning. You don't know how good it was! How important! This is it for you! This jumped-up firework display of a toy advert! People like you make me sick! What's wrong with you? Now, I don't care if you've saved up all your fifty 'p's, take your pocket money and get out!

[the little boy runs off, crying]

Tim Bisley: What a prick.

LOL Ah, Spaced....

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
Then, upon the release of Sith, Lucas goes on record telling parents to not let the very age of fanbase go to see his final installment which according to him six years earlier was for them in the first place. Does that make any sense to anyone?

It makes some sense; the 7, 8, 9 year olds watching TPM would be 13, 14, 15 when ROTS arrived.

Money is naturally important, but if it were everything ROTS would be different. What good is a toy advert that kids aren't allowed to watch? (Here in England at least, under 12s were prohibited from viewing unless accompanied by an adult.)

Mind you, come Oct 31st I bet they'll all be watching it!

And Jar-Jar is very annoying in TPM. He's forced into scenes he shouldn't be in. Perhaps Lucas was a little bit over-excited with his new digital acting capacity. I sometimes think, more than selling Jar-Jar toys, Lucas was the one who had the new toy - and he played with it way too much!

Liked him in ROTS though. Just the right balance was struck. And I found out today that Lucas has said Jar-Jar died on Alderaan. I felt surprisingly happy when I read that!

Hope it's true.

It makes some sense; the 7, 8, 9 year olds watching TPM would be 13, 14, 15 when ROTS arrived.

Lucas used the word films when he described the fanbase they were intended for in post Phantom Menace interviews. If he was actually thinking what you outlined, then there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have just said that to begin with. It was defense against the Jar Jar backlash, plain and simple.

Money is naturally important, but if it were everything ROTS would be different.

You're going to have to explain that one a bit more. How do you think it would have been different?

Liked him in ROTS though. Just the right balance was struck. And I found out today that Lucas has said Jar-Jar died on Alderaan. I felt surprisingly happy when I read that!  

Hope it's true.

Where did you hear about his demise?

I don't understand you folks. Granted, Jar Jar sucks, but what harm did he do? In the end, he's only responsible for making an already inferior trilogy a little bit worse. Come on, it's not that the Sequels would've been so much better without him, right? The Ewoks, on the other hand, destroyed a line of masterpieces (Star Wars and TESB). They are the party poopers. They killed the myth that was Star Wars and represent the true face of Lucas. Jar Jar is only a natural, logical continuance that sprouted from the mind of the same man, so in a way, the coming of Jar Jar is no surprise. He's only a part of a decline already fully in existance. The Ewoks simply paved the way for him. They were the first to put a knife into the heart of Star Wars and thereby shocking millions of people. Because of the little cuddling bears, we learned that Lucas isn't a god after all. They are the ones that warned us of things to come.

ewoks.jpg

----------------

Alex Cremers

Jar Jar is propably more annoying but Ewoks are not far behind. Oh how I hate those pesky little creatures! 8O