Your favorite Star Wars score to date  

50 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1977's Episode 4: (Star Wars) A New Hope
    • 1980's Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
    • 1983's Episode 6: Return Of The Jedi
    • 1999's Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    • 2002's Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones
    • I honestly cannot decide. I like them all equally.

We've done this before, but enough time has passed to do it again! :thumbup:

NOT FILM!!!!! You can hate a film and love it's score (and vice versa). Just scores.

This can be album version (add points) or film version (add points) or complete version (add points, even though we still don't have an expanded AOTC, and TPM's expanded is still a poorly done, semi-complete film version).

OK. Vote away. This is a fairly hard poll for me because I haven't heard a Star Wars score yet that I didn't love. But I do have a slight favorite... ;)

(Which I will not say right now, even though most of you know already). ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them all as well, but if I were to rank them:

1. TESB (followed very closely by:)

2. SW-ANH

3. ROTJ

<leave a gap here>

4. AOTC

5. TPM

I always get so messed up when I try to decide between ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, so I'm not going to do it. But they are all better than TPM or AOTC.

1. ?

2. ?

3. ?

4. TPM

5. AOTC.

I liek to see them as parts of a great opera therefore I do not like to rank them individualy (although ESB is probably the best segment). I just think it is a little unfair to rank them because some of the SW scores relly on the rest to be fully understood, and some don't have the thematic development of others due to their role in whole musical story of the saga.

Therefore, I prefer to considerer the 5 scores (and in the future 6) as one musical presentation.

I'm in the same boat as Merkel.

I rate them all as one huge body of work, with TESB the best "chapter". I also think the same way about the movies themselves. I see TPM and AOTC no better or worse than SW:ANH & ROTJ. I just think that Empire is unreachable (although E3's "darkness" may be able to reach it... but how can one have any more faith in Lucas unless he gets some help with the story and directing and stops the music-hacking madness).

But ask me to decide between TPM, AOTC, SW:ANH, and ROTJ and I can't. I love them all equally, except AOTC has the least amount of music (either that, or a large chunk of it was not in the film and remains unreleased in any form).

My ratings:

Scores:10- TESB
    9.9- SW:AHN
    9.9- ROTJ
    9.9- TPM
    9.8- AOTC (Where is the rest of it???)
    Films:
    10- TESB
    9.9- SW:AHN
    9.9- ROTJ
    9.8- TPM
    9.8- AOTC

Scores

1.Star Wars, 1977 10

2.Empire Strikes Back, 1980 9

3.Return of the Jedi, 1983, 8

4.TPM

4.AOTC each 6.

films

1. Star Wars, 1977 4 stars

2. Empire Strikes Back, 1980 4 stars

3. Return of the Jedi, 1983 3 stars

4. Attack of the Clones, 2002, 2 stars

5. The Phantom Menace, 1999 1-1/2 stars

I see each as a seperate work. Had they been composed at the same time I could agree with Chris, but too much time passed between each for me. And there is no way I can view the films as one work because we have had 4 directors, Lucas, Kershner, Marquand, and the new Lucas

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Attack of the Clones

5. The Phantom Menace

Just weeks ago I used to thin ANH was the worst of the Star Wars scores.....what a fool I was.....what a naive young fool. :(

STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE IS ROCKIN' AWESOME!!!!

Justin - ;)

:) Remembrances: Schindler's List

Definitely ESB, but it is hard to beat the sheer grandeur of the Throne Room & Finale (the slower tempo concert version) and The Forest Battle from ROTJ is most certainly up there with Raiders' Desert Chase as best action cue!

My favorite Star Wars score of all time is THE PHANTOM MENACE. I just LOVE that score!! That score features some of Williams' best work in years!

1. The Phantom Menace

2. A New Hope

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace was really good. And I don't see much special with The Empire Strikes Back. I think film score fans have over hyped that score and in the process, under hyped some others.

Very interesting comments there Braveheart, I am interested as to what exactly draws you to the conclusion that you prefer TPM over ESB?

Ohh ratings, cool Joe :(

Scores

1.Empire Strikes Back 10

2. Return of the Jedi 10

3. A New Hope 8

4. The Phantom Menace 7.5

5. Attack of the Clones 7

films out of 5

1. Empire Strikes Back 5

2. Return of the Jedi 5

3. A New Hope 4

4. Attack of the Clones 3

5. The Phantom Menace 2

The last 2 get 'high' points merely due to quality of FX and such things as that ;)

I would like to add that in this one has to remember that the question is what is your favorite score, not which one you consider best. I love listening to AOTC for instance. This is one of my favorite CD's. I especially like the Arena cue. Kick ass march music. Nevertheless, TESB still gets my vote for favorite score (or rather, favorite listening experience), mainly due to the Hoth music. I love that stuff. And I still consider the Finale from TESB the best of all SW scores (with ANH as a close second).

But I will never forget the moment when I first plugged in my ANH CD. I had just bought it along with the other three (TESB, ROTJ and TPM OST) in Amsterdam. We were on our way back. I was standing in a packed tram, put the disc in my CD Walkman, plugged in my headphones and pressed PLAY. The 20th Century Fox Fanfare made for a great moment of anticipation and then... BANG!!! The Main Titles crashed into my head. I closed my eyes and thought "God, I love this guy". Such is the power of JW. ;)

- Marc

:( End Credits -- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I would like to add that in this one has to remember that the question is what is your favorite score, not which one you consider best.

To me there's no difference between my favorite and the one I consider best :(

To me neither, but I was just pointing out there is a difference. It's even stronger in movies. To you personally a movie may not be as entertaining as some other popcorn flick, but by filmmaking rules it might still be a better film. :)

:music: The Mine Car Chase -- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I was just pointing out there is a difference. It's even stronger in movies. To you personally a movie may not be as entertaining as some other popcorn flick, but by filmmaking rules it might still be a better film.  :music:

I disagree. Filmmaking rules (which, btw are continuously changing and/or evolving) do not dictate which films are better or worse. The quality of films is always determined by subjective points of view, which usually vary through time. There are multiple examples of films that were considered bad by most critics when they were released, and reached the status of masterpieces a few decades later. Who was wrong? Nobody. It's all subjective. There's no such thing as an objectively better or worse film.

I'd say the difference is stronger in music... maybe that is just because I understand it more than I do movies....

Ricard wrote:

"There are multiple examples of films that were considered bad by most critics when they were released, and reached the status of masterpieces a few decades later. Who was wrong? Nobody. It's all subjective. There's no such thing as an objectively better or worse film."

I can just see it, future generations will be praising Episodes I, II (& III) as highly as the OT. A long, long time from now...

ESB is the ne plus ultra, IMHO.

Yes, Mr. Breathmask, the Hoth battle music is great, and should be played for those detractors of JW's compositional and orchestrational abilities. Interestingly, it's one of those segments of the SW scores where we hear none of the thematic material for about 4-5 min.

Very interesting comments there Braveheart, I am interested as to what exactly draws you to the conclusion that you prefer TPM over ESB?

Anakin's Theme and Duel of the fates are two things that make The Phantom Menace the best Star Wars score to date in my book. Of course there are many other parts, such as the haunting choral passages, the great battle music, the flag parade (totally awesome!!), the fanfare heard when Anakin won the pod race, Quigong's Theme, his funeral music, Jabba's comical tuba based music, the fanfares heard when Naboo comes up on the screen, the Trade Federation March, etc. Just so much. Not to mention how Williams was able to incorporate themes from the Star Wars trilogy into The Phantom Menace.

Of course ESB has a lot of great music, especially the unbeatable Imperial March. But musically TPM is the best in my opinion and also my favorite.

Anakin's Theme is actually a very complex theme. I developed great appreciation for it after I got hold of the full sheet music for it and saw all the complex composition Williams put into it. :music:

The Best Star Wars score ????

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Star Wars, a New Hope

4. Phantom Manace, AOTC

ESB: for it's emperial march an many more

RotJ: for the forrest battle, big flaw is the trumpet in the opening of the

main theme awfull

SW : The force theme and binary sunset

PM: The flag parade, the trumpets in this part: p-e-r-f-e-c-t

Same goes for the Droid Invasion

AOTC: love theme very well done, the rest is more of the same

Like Merkel says, they are all part of one grand space opera, even if the films were completed years apart.

That said, I marvel at The Empire Strikes Back because it sounds like an operatic composition on its own, both in the film and on CD. Thanks to the 1997 release, I can appreciate that more.

As far as TPM and AOTC goes, I think the only reason I am not enamored with them is because there is no fow through each of them. Most of the music sounds like wallpaper, composed only because of the decision to make it wall-to-wall music. That takes away from the flow and listening experience.

Star Wars remains my favorite mainly because it was my first experience with the music of John Williams and made me fall in love with his music. I would pick Empire Strikes Back as the best overall score of the saga.

Mari, still dealing with the disaster of my bedroom ceiling falling down which has kept me from posting lately. ;)

Mari, still dealing with the disaster of my bedroom ceiling falling down which has kept me from posting lately.

TELL ME YOU WERE NOT UNDER THAT!!! :wow:

If it DID fall on her, I doubt she'd be posting at all, would she? :roll:

Still, that's what happens when The Chrusher pays the ladies visits and the joint gets a rockin'. Let's get those walls, beds, and ceilings secured next time, eh? ;)

:) beerchug :):jump:

:):baaa:

Thanks for the concern! :oops:

Fortunately, I wasn't underneath it! There was a plumbing problem in the apartment upstairs while I was at work and came home to the mess. The computer, printer, scanner, 90% of my music CD's and the bed were soaked! The bedroom is now completely gutted as the landlord has to replace the ceiling, carpeting, and replaster the walls. I have renter's insurance and am slowly working on replacing everything.

In order to get the thread back on track (Sorry Chris for the slight derailment!) all my John Williams CD's were soaked too (including the boxed set of the Star Wars Trilogy!) :cry2:

Mari

If it DID fall on her, I doubt she'd be posting at all, would she?  :roll:  

Still, that's what happens when The Chrusher pays the ladies visits and the joint gets a rockin'. Let's get those walls, beds, and ceilings secured next time, eh? ;)  

:thumbup:  beerchug  ;):jump:  

:joke:   :baaa:

eek2

LOL

Chrusher, you beat me to it!

And I thought I was the only one here in need of serious psychiatric help. (Either that, or a long weekend in a motel room.)

Figo, very blue in the balls.

Awww. Sorry to hear about your CD collection, Mari. That would seriously bum me out. ;)

How about I schedule another Chrusher visit to help cheer you up? :baaa::joke:

:thumbup:

eek2

LOL  

Chrusher, you beat me to it!

:biglaugh: I actually thought of you when I posted that. I said to myself, "Now this is something close to what Figo would put, but I'll beat him to the punch and steal his thunder." :jump:

And I thought I was the only one here in need of serious psychiatric help.  (Either that, or a long weekend in a motel room.)

Figo, very blue in the balls.

You? My girlfriend that I love very much is in a timezone 12+ hours different than mine. :cry: banghead bawling

Of course, I have a few cute college girls to keep me company... not that my Massy needs to worry... I'm a good boy... HONEST! No matter how my superpowered alter-ego, "The Chrusher" acts!!! O:-)

Mild-mannered jwfan.net poster,

-Chris

Water... very bad for cd's, the compound they are made out of sucks in water which can damage the metal layer the data is on :thumbup:

N°1 EPISODE III (well... let's just hope...) :ola:

N°2 ESB bowdown

N°3 RTOJ :)

N°4 ANH :(

N°5 TPM :sleep1:

N°6 What was the name of the movie again ?? :)

N°1 EPISODE III (well... let's just hope...)  :ola:  

N°2 ESB  bowdown    

N°3 ROTJ  :)

N°4 ANH  :(

N°5 TPM  :sleep1:  

N°6 What was the name of the movie again ??  :)

bowdown:thumbup::ola::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Damn that sucks! All that stuff got soaked! Sheeesh and the CDs prolly are not even insured or anything unlike a computer which might have some kind of warranty. Although would that even count? :)

Damn that sucks! All that stuff got soaked! Sheeesh and the CDs prolly are not even insured or anything unlike a computer which might have some kind of warranty. Although would that even count?  :)

Thank you Rogue Leader and yes it does suck!!! Fortunately I have renter's insurance and am working on getting the damage estimates to my insurance agent. I know the computer, etc. are covered, but not so sure about the CDs!

Thank you as well Morn! The CDs I've tried have played, but the inserts were completely soaked and are now stuck together.

Mari :(

• 2 weeks later...

I like The Return of the Jedi. All of the forresty music on the second c.d is cool! Plus...I love Jedi Rocks!