Er, What does Woody Allen think of Cantina Band?

Quintus

Seeing as Allen is a major jazz fan, does anyone have any info on Woody's thoughts on this great piece of sci-fi-jazz inspired catchiness? Have I just made a new word in 'catchiness'? Probably not.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what Woody Allen thinks?

Me, but not for the reasons you obviously think. I just reckon it would be interesting to hear what a celeb 'pro' jazz fan thinks of William's stab at the intergalactic clarinet. Theres nothing wrong with that

I should imagine he'd fret and hold his head in anguish walking along the street muttering and whining with a women, just trying to answer the question. As he so often does in his movies :)

I'm interested to know what Eddie Murphy thinks of Everybody Runs from Minority Report. Anyone have any info on that?

He confided his opinion to me. He actually recorded vocals to it, and added a drum machine, but he can't get the rights to release it on his next album.

:)

Have I just made a new word in 'catchiness'? Probably not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=catchiness

Listed as a noun form at the bottom of the entry. Merriam-Webster online didn't recognize it.

Who cares what Woody Allen thinks?

exactly!

Seconded. I mean, thirded (I think that one actually is new).

In an interview, Williams relayed a story that Lucas gave him the idea for what type of music to play in the Cantina. He told him to write an alien interpretation of Benny Goodman music. So that's what Williams set out to accomplish.

Tim

Okay, but aside from this, I happen to know on good authority that Bill Paxton felt slightly ripped off when the judge threw out John Barry's James Bond theme composition claim.

Oh that old chestnut again. Monty Norman wrote the actual melody, therfore by law it is his composition. Even though Barry gave it the style, sound, and rhythmic impetus (actually turning it from a fairly uninteresting tune into the classis Bond theme we all know and love) he didn't actually write the tune. Unfortunately by law that means he has no claim on composition. Another example is The Christmas Song by Mel Torme and some other guy whos name I forget. There are many incredible arrangements of this, including a gorgeous light jazz version by Vince Guaraldi. You can buy all these different arrangements, but the arranger's name is never included on the writing credits (unless there's a version out there I haven't seen). I think there must be a law prohibiting any name being put on that song other than the two composers, even under an arranger's credit.

Monty Norman wrote the actual melody, therfore by law it is his composition.

It's not quite as simple as that. I won't go into too much detail, but it is fairly clear (if you know where to look) that Barry "helped" Norman quite a bit. Norman's ex-wife said that she doubted Norman had the skills to compose such a tune, and said that Barry and Norman had worked together on Dr. No. Most of the stories contradict each other though.

I really like the Dr No score.

It contains more "live" source music than most of the Bond movies, but there are great moments of underscore in there as well. I still get chills when I hear the tarrantula music, and the payoff at the end of that cue (the orchestra stings matching Bond's shoe killing the spider) is a highlight of the entire Bond series.

I'm not trying to defend Norman in the ownership of the Bond Theme, it clearly owes FAR more to Barry than Barry is being official credit for, but the main melody comes from a musical that Norman wrote. It IS his melody. As far as copyright goes that's the end of the story unfortunately. Still, Barry didn't exactly get a raw deal out of it. As a result of his work on the Bond theme he was asked to score 12 of the films!

It's not quite as simple as that. I won't go into too much detail, but it is fairly clear (if you know where to look) that Barry "helped" Norman quite a bit. Norman's ex-wife said that she doubted Norman had the skills to compose such a tune, and said that Barry and Norman had worked together on Dr. No. Most of the stories contradict each other though.

Isn't it true that the James Bond Theme was based on an earlier composition by Norman?

• 3 years later...
He would probably hate it, since it's listenable Jazz.

You really find the jazz music in Allen's films to be unlistenable? What about the Gershwin in Manhattan?

You really find the jazz music in Allen's films to be unlistenable? What about the Gershwin in Manhattan?

Don't quote me on something I wrote almost 4 years ago. If I'm an ignorant man now, imagine back then

I can see this thread getting closed very shortly, because it's an old thread resurrected.

I'd be more interested in seeing of Woody Allen would think of a sexy way to film Scarlett Johannson using "Cantina Band."

Don't quote me on something I wrote almost 4 years ago. If I'm an ignorant man now, imagine back then

Just wondering if you didn't like Dixieland jazz that much or something. I would imagine, by the way, that Allen would like the big-band Benny Goodman style of "Cantina Band."

Is there a rule against nudging old threads?

Not that I'm aware of.

I suppose it depends on content, really. There is a rule against bumping old joke threads when the joke might be dead. I bumped a thread that lamented Pierce Brosnan's departure from the James Bond franchise, because it had a cool comment regarding what Indiana Jones IV should involve, and not only was the thread deleted but I was also called on it.

In that case, I see the point, since it was old news. Any thread from page 263 that asks who should replace Richard Harris as Dumbledore shouldn't be bumped.

But this thread does have a place to bumped, since Woody Allen's still alive and we still don't know what he thinks about Cantina Band.