Question about Alan Silvestri's Predator

Trent B

Okay I know Varesé released a Limited Edition of Predator to 3,000 copies and that has 21 tracks but what's the difference between that one and the 34 track bootleg? Anyone know?

Edit: Besides the obvious fact there's more tracks for the bootleg version...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several 34 track bootlegs of predator but surprisingly, they all seem to feature less original score than the varese disc:

There is one boot with the song Long Tall Sally and a suite of Blown Away, another one has the theme of "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shot" and the "Silver Pictures" logo music.

Then, there is another bootleg with the end credits from Predator 2.

Now if you consider that the varese disc runs nearly as long as all of these bootlegs but leaves out the "bonus" tracks you will find out that there is a little bit of extra music on the varese CD. I think it was additional unused music in the last track.

For more info, please go here: http://www.alan-silvestri.com/discography/...edatorboot.html

It was one of the fastest-selling 3000 unit editions so someone must have realized that there is a potential in this score. Maybe when varese licence expires we might see a re-issue from a different label and maybe they will do it as a regular edition then.

It is a shame that so many people have to play the risky ebay game to get this wonderful release.

Same can be said about The Fury and all these other sold-out gems.

Well in the mean time I'll download it from a friend of mine. When I can afford to pay the hefty price for the Varesé copy from ebay then I'll get rid of the mp3 version.

By the way I have never seen either Predator films. I'll probably get them one day.

It is a shame that so many people have to play the risky ebay game to get this wonderful release.

Same can be said about The Fury and all these other sold-out gems.

I would have to take issue with this a little.....

I was always a JW Listener but tooke me some time to become a JW Fan......a search of the internet took me to Varese, where I discovered that The Fury 2-Disc which had been selling for quite high prices on E-Bay was actually still available......I bought it, naturally, and it did not actually sell out on Varese for some months afterwards....

Yes - it is annoying that the releases are quite limited, but at the same time these things are hardly selling out overnight!

Good hunting....

But it's a pain when you become interested in a score or a composer later. If the whole thing goes over your head the first time, it's very frustrating to find out later the product has long sold out. Also because if there was a recent Limited Edition, it is very likely we won't be seeing another re-release for quite some time.

Same thing with The 'Burbs, which has been very high on my Goldsmith "I want" list for a while, but it was limited to only 1,500 copies as a Varese Club title and has long since sold out after ten or so years.

Predator is a popular score, it should have got a regular release.

Just because you can't sit through it doesn't mean that it won't sell. Predator sold out in a couple of months. Faster than The Fury despite the fact that I find the later score to be better.

Justin

Yes the score had a reputation of being one of the (officially) unreleased gems of the 1980's.

But several bootlegs had been floating around for many years.

The reason that it had a limited release IMO definatly contributed to it's fast sell out time.

Not to mention many people (including me) bought multiple copies to flog on eBay.

The popularity of Predator is certainly not just due to some bootlegs or because it was limited.

I did a little experimentation when i was still in school and played a selfmade medley of silvestri themes for the class. The only themes that some of them recognized were Back To The Future and Predator (note: no one recognized Forrest Gump!), so predator is obviously bearing a lot of potential even for people who are no score addicts. Now take in account that most people who liked the film and the score probably have never heard of that limited edition.

Now tell me again that it is not one of Silvestri's most in-demand scores and one of the most-requested releases in film music history.

The popularity of Predator is certainly not just due to some bootlegs or because it was limited.  

I did a little experimentation when i was still in school and played a selfmade medley of silvestri themes for the class. The only themes that some of them recognized were Back To The Future and Predator (note: no one recognized Forrest Gump!), so predator is obviously bearing a lot of potential even for people who are no score addicts. Now take in account that most people who liked the film and the score probably have never heard of that limited edition.

Now tell me again that it is not one of Silvestri's most in-demand scores and one of the most-requested releases in film music history.

Yeah, and all we got were 3000 copies that sold out before I even knew there was a release. Too many people like Steef around, me thinks.

Actually that's fairly rare.

I've gotten rare titles like Angie, Sleeping With The Enemy, Witches Of Eastwick (boot), Raiders DCC version etc...etc...for a lot less then i'd have to pay for them had I found them in stores.

But it's a pain when you become interested in a score or a composer later. If the whole thing goes over your head the first time, it's very frustrating to find out later the product has long sold out. Also because if there was a recent Limited Edition, it is very likely we won't be seeing another re-release for quite some time.

I agree. I don't care how much it will cost if I find the DCC release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, I'd buy it anyway. If you like something, the price shouldn't be the most important thing. I know that paying more than 50 bucks for a single CD is a lot, but it's worth, even if the OST for ToD is extremely short and incomplete.

I personally have the DCC release in CD quality thanks to a trader, who ripped he's own CD. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy it. On the contrary, I would love to have it, even if my own version of Raiders is more complete than it. I know it has a great booklet, and it hurts to not have it.

Same is for the 1981 OST or Raiders, I'd love to find it at a reasonable price.

I was lucky enough to find the OST for Jaws, though. That was really different than the 25th Anniversary Edition.

No, the OSTs aren't complete.

But they're very rare.

Die Hard has all the Kamen music from the film.

The old Die Hard bootleg had a track that does not appear in the film though, a strange "country" version of that Mozart piece.

- Marc, who didn't even know there was a complete release until today. :angry:

Bwahahahahahaha!

I have the 3 Die Hard OSTs on mp3 along with their bootleg. The OSTs are great, but they aren't 100% complete.

Most of the music on the Die Hard III CD isn't even from Die Hard III.

What a fucking bad release!

Die Hard has all the Kamen music from the film.

The old Die Hard bootleg had a track that does not appear in the film though, a strange "country" version of that Mozart piece.

Oh, OK. :)

I never analyzed the whole scores cue-by-cue, but I always thought there must have be some alternate/short cue missing.

Marc, I don't know if there are OSTs and Expanded releases, or those on Varese are the OSTs, but they're rare anyways.

I never heard of any Die Hard release on other labels, though. So those on Varese must be the only ever made. :|

Most of the music on the Die Hard III CD isn't even from Die Hard III.

That's why I thought it wasn't 100% complete.

What a fucking bad release!

I agree! And it's even rare!! :angry:

Are the Die Hard scores really that good that people are drooling after them? I know the Die Hard III album is a joke but how about the first one. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate it? Not that I have any chance to get it any more since it is sold out but still.

Some people were very dissapointed once they finally bought Die Hard.

It was frequently lauded as one of the great unreleased action scores of the 80's, but there really isn't a lot of action music in it.

If you have seen the film, for the most part it's suspense or stalking around music with occasional rather short burts of action.

Also it doesn't have any big themes, rather an assortment of motifs spread throughout the score (save the Mozart theme)

So people were hoping for another First Blood Part II, and they got something else.

It IS however a really outstanding film score.

I'd love to have them because the Trilogy kicks ass. Very good score, and my favorite action movie experience ever, along with both Bad Boys.

Maybe you should download the scores to make your own opinion, Mikko. Personally I think those works pretty well outside the movies too.