How many movies did John Williams score ?

PBL

I've always wondered how many movies did John Williams score. I've already checked IMDB... but I'm so confused with TV show and the Special editions and the E.T. new released and so on... :)

I really don't know the exact count (not including those special releases).

thanks for the answer, it's for a research. :yellow:

PBL

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Ricard is counting AOTC but not Minority Report, that means JW has scored 90 films in 33 years! (This does not count the new Harry Potter, which would fall under Ricard's "additional themes" category).

That's an average of 2.7 films every year! :)

Supergirl? The score for that one was written by Jerry Goldsmith. Williams was credited on the album since there is a track were Goldsmiht quoted the Superman March. It's a very short cue, less than a minute long, called "The Superman Poster".

So if Ricard is counting AOTC but not Minority Report, that means JW has scored 90 films in 33 years! (This does not count the new Harry Potter, which would fall under Ricard's "additional themes" category).

That's an average of 2.7 films every year!  :)

I meant Minority Report included.

How many?? Hmmmmm that would be tough to answer. Anyone have the full list?? :wow:

-Rogue Leader who is still waiting for them to make a GOOD version of the Dune novel.

There are a few Williams dedicated site with correct filmography listings, like www.johnwilliams.org

Bu t if you're wondering how many tv scores he wrote, then I guess that would be an almost impossible mission.

The problem with tv music is that even if we know what shows for wich Williams composed, we will have a very hard time finding wich episodes he did. In the late 50's, when he begun scoring for television, the music credit only went for the music director, responsible for the music department of the studio.

Other problem is that, many time cues from one show were reused again and again in later epsiodes, or even in diferent shows.

For example, The Killers, Williams' first tv film, that for having too much violence endend up being a large screen feature, had the main and end title taken from Mancini's A Touch of Evil. A song later heard th the same film, was also by Mancini, composed for The Gleen Miller Story. Now you get the picture why I said that would be an impossible mission... should you accept it!

Actaully, the exact number is 94, in thye same circunstances as in the above post.

I get 98, counting Harry Potter and Chamber of Sscrets, Catch Me if you Can, Star Wars Episode III, and Indiana Jones IV. Tack another one on if he scores Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Since he hasn't done EpIII, or Indy 4, or Prisoner of Azkaban, you can't count them.  He could die before those are ever made.

;)

Those words are never to be spoken here again.

Since he hasn't done EpIII, or Indy 4, or Prisoner of Azkaban, you can't count them.  He could die before those are ever made.

Yes, but I feel he will. He is contracted for Episode III, and 99% likely to be contracted for Indy IV, and 75% likely for Harry III.

Should something unfortunate happen to JW (which I SERIOUSLY DOUBT, but it is possible nonetheless), then I hope that they get someone who is able to fill his shoes.

The death of JW will be the 2nd saddest day in my life when it happens (hopefully not for a long time!). Charles Schulz's death was the saddest in my life, and George Harrison's death is currently 2nd.

Me - who wishes JW was contracted for SW VII - IX ;) LOL

The death of JW will be the 2nd saddest day in my life when it happens (hopefully not for a long time!). Charles Schulz's death was the saddest in my life, and George Harrison's death is currently 2nd.

Boy, you really haven't known a lot of pain in your life, have you?

Figo, who was appropriately saddened when he learned of Schulz's death, but can't delude himself that it even approaches his top 1000 saddest days.

Notice I said sad. I have been far worse than sad though. It was like losing a friend, and the only one whoever gave me sanity in my life :(.

I miss you Sparky!

The 1 year anniversary of the saddest day I've known is coming up soon. I don't think I need to remind ANY of you what that is.  ;)

???

Ray Barnsbury-drawing a blank