New Superman using same theme . . . thoughts?

AzOutcast

So Singer is going ahead with using the theme Williams wrote for the original Superman but alas, he's sticking with John Ottman when it comes to the score. I'm pretty conflicted about this myself. On one hand, I'm kinda pissed they're ripping off Williams because they couldn't come up with something better . . . and on the other hand, I'm glad that they're honoring Williams' classic score because they can't come up with anything better.

Thought's anyone?

(On a sidenote, I appreciated the balls Batman Begins had to completely scrap Danny Elfman's theme and come up with their own . . . furthermore, I'll join the minority in saying that I think Begins' score kicks the ass of Elfman's Batman score as a whole.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of the new Superman, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they completely ignore the Williams theme then film score fans are gonna bash them saying they ruined a perfect opportunity to revive this brilliant theme.

If they do use it then film score fans are gonna bash them for the way they used it, that's it's not how Williams would have done it, and that Ottman is a lame hack compared to him.

I kinda feel sorry for Singer and Ottman...

... film score fans are gonna bash them for the way they used it ...

Woooo, Singer is going to be sooooo scared.

I believe that the next video diary is about Singer buying a pair of boots in which to shake.

From what I've seen, everyone is happy they're using the title theme throughout the score. Ottman even got Williams "blessing". I think using it in the new movie will trigger old memories of the first Superman experience, even if that's cheating a little. The audience is already pre-conditioned to have a response when they hear the march. Take the teaser trailer as an example. Because they used the noble Krypton theme, it gave me goosebumps.

Tim, who is trying to ignore the Begins vs. Elfman crack in the first post.

Well since this film is supposed to take place after Superman II according to reports and Singer is using other elements from Donner's films I can understand the use of Williams' theme.

The only thing that concerns me is that I haven't been too impressed by Ottman's work. Williams' themes could be surrounded by bland underscore.

Im more interested in the Main theme arrangement they are going to use.

Williams has the love theme interluded in it, while they are not going to use it.

Lets hope we dont hear a castrated Superman March ;)

I'm pretty sure it will be better then at least 3 other Superman films. ;)

Much will depend on whether Singer will be able to capture that true Smallville (the place, not the series) atmosphere.

Why would they not ask Williams to score it? I do not understand. He has nothing on his schedule.

Maybe Singer fears that Williams will come up with too much romantism.

How do we know if williams would even be interested in scoring this film.

He already revisited Star Wars 3 times in recent years, he gave up on the Potter series to persue a project that would allow him to write something that was rather new for him.

John Williams seems to still be looking firmly to the future, not the past.

How much debate was there when the Star Trek films all used Goldsmith's theme? I think Singer is trying to set the first and second Superman movies firmly as his canon in the publics mind....this new one is a spiritual sequal to the old films - not a 're-imagining'. By having the old theme used that greatly helps. I just hope Ottman doesn't rely on it as a crutch and writes the bulk of the score.

Sorry, meant Courage's... I know each ST movie has a snippit and Ottman is using the whole theme so it's not really alike, but I think it'll be used in the same way - make people remember the Williams score and associate the new one with the old

They are already using the Superman theme, what more do you people want?

That's true, Stefancos. I mean, did Peter Jackson use Max Steiner's music for his new version of King Kong? I thought so.

No, not really.

They are already using the Superman theme, what more do you people want?

At least I won't have Leslie Bricusse's dumb lyrics in my head when I see this film

When sung by Govern and Bassey, i dont find the song dull at all, i even find it beautiful...

As far as I know, t his is just a continuation of the series, ignoring the last few films, is it not? THerefore, it makes sense to use JW's theme and has nothing to do with whether or not they could write anything better.

furthermore, I'll join the minority in saying that I think Begins' score kicks the ass of Elfman's Batman score as a whole.)

Wow! Are you on drugs?!

And what's sad is that there are maybe three points on that CD that were excellent. The whole score could have been saved had those three short pieces been turned into themes and interwoven throughout the score instead of appearing once for 5 seconds.

I knew I should've kept my mouth shut. See, that's what happens when you tell people your darkest secrets. I mean, if word gets out that I prefer the Patriot theme over Goldsmith's Air Force One theme . . . .

I'm finished.

I knew I should've kept my mouth shut.  See, that's what happens when you tell people your darkest secrets.  I mean, if word gets out that I prefer the Patriot theme over Goldsmith's Air Force One theme . . . .

I'm finished.

I too prefer The Patriot's theme over Air Force One so you're not alone.

But Elfman's Batman score is the best.

I knew I should've kept my mouth shut.  See, that's what happens when you tell people your darkest secrets.  I mean, if word gets out that I prefer the Patriot theme over Goldsmith's Air Force One theme . . . .

I'm finished.

I too prefer The Patriot's theme over Air Force One so you're not alone.

Same here :)

And i dont see the rip off.

Goldsimth ripped Air force one in mulan, now i hear it there...

. . . furthermore, I'll join the minority in saying that I think Begins' score kicks the ass of Elfman's Batman score as a whole.)

:) Pure rubbish

I have to say that if you think that is true then something is DEFINITELY wrong with you. I for one heard a few cues from the Batman Begins score and I honestly can NOT stand it. I perfer Elfman's more and I think the majority of this board perfer Elfman's Batman score more as well. I think you were dropped on your head when you were a kid or something if you think this...

This is your brain:

egg.jpg

This is your brain after listening to the Batman Begins CD:

click

Hmmm, pics no worky. I'm sure the second one is probably funny though.

Well, I guess I'll try to explain myself. For the most part though, it won't help 'cause from what I can tell, this board loves Danny Elfman. I dig him too, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to Elfman's scores for Burton films, they all sound pretty similar to me. I'm not talkin' Hans Zimmer "similar" here, but similar enough. Now Elfman's theme for Batman . . . can't be topped. Hell, for nostalgia alone growing up with that theme (especially on the animated series) it just can't be beat; simple as that.

Now, Batman Begins the movie is a much better film that Burton's Batman. It's set in a more real world (well, as real as you can get) and it finally got the most important piece; a good Bruce Wayne. So along with the movie, I think they crafted a score that fits more than an Elfman score would. Hell, at first glance I didn't even notice any themes or motifs and I was severely disapointed with the score. Upon repeat viewings of the film, there were a few sections that caught my eye and I eventually picked up the score. There are a few "themes" I guess you could say, and none of 'em hold a candle to Eflman's Batman theme . . . but one great theme does not make a great score, not in my eyes. While Burton's Batman has the kickin' theme, the rest is the usual Elfman/Burton score I'm pretty used to hearing. As for the Begins score, it's different enough and overall I think it's solid for those who give it a real listen and even multiple listens.

Now, I doubt any of you will agree with me which is cool, but hopefully you can at least see where I'm coming from.

I'm not that impressed with Elfman either. After getting over the initial "ooh, women's voices + soaring brass = cool" I came to realise they do all sound the same. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the only one of his I own, but it's sadly lacking too.

I still haven't seen/heard Batman Begins though, so I can't judge it, but I'm sure the Newton-Howard half is much better than the other.