Pick One....  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Popcorn
    • Serious
    • I love them all!
    • I hate them all!

Which does ol' Stevie do better?

Popcorn = Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws etc.

Serious = Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich etc.

Personally, I think his popcorn movies are (on the whole) more successful - IMO he's only so far nailed it with one "serious" film - Schindler's List.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both but I also think he is better in pop corn. There are good directors out there who can make awesome 'serious' movies. On the other hand Spielberg is the master of popcorn and I don't know if anyone will ever top him.

I love Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones...even Hook. But two of the best films ever made (by ANYONE) are, in my opinion, A.I. and Empire of the Sun. Spielberg does drama so much better.

Is Raiders "early" by your standards?

Raiders Of The Lost Ark is his last "early" one. Then Spielberg somehow changed. Spielberg became "Spielbergo". Popcorn became plastic grapes. See the Raiders sequels to know what I'm talking about. Luckily he also began to make serious movies like Empire of The Sun and The Color Purple.

Alex

Popcorn, definitely.

The Indiana Jones flicks are all great (Raiders being the greatest american made action movie, right above Die Hard, in my book). Jaws was the original and still one of the greatest popcorn flicks. Let us not forget Jurassic Park, Lost World, Minority Report, or War of the Worlds.

I think his more dramatic films are flawed in a few ways, but that's okay 'cause those flicks are harder to make. Schindler's List I'd probably put at the top, followed by Empire and A.I. and Munich.

I think he excels at both because he masters camera tricks and can handle characters & emotions as well as big action. It is quite remarkable that he is capable of doing both at such a level and alternate between both, and at an increasing pace, too.

What other directors have done this that well?

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but right now I can only think of one who keeps swtiching from serious to light: Clint Eastwood, who has done some great films in both modes.

Anyone else? Anyone who is as successful as Spielberg in both kinds of films?

Corollary question: how about Williams' scores?

Looking back now at Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., and the films are as clearly popcorn films as they used to be. Close Encounters and E.T, especially so.

Well, all of his films have been popcorn, save for SL, Amistad, SPR, A.I. and Munich. Of those, only Amistad wasn't very good (IMO, of course). But Raiders, Jaws, CE3K, E.T., ToD, TLC, JP, CMIYC, MR, WoTW......all excellent popcorn stuff. One for one (meaning the best of each category), I'd pick the serious films. But on a global scale, his contribution is just as important in either category. Both it is.

Its almost hard to break it down into these categories. WotW is popcorn but of the serious kind. Some people don't like that Speilberg lost his sense of fun and adventure with that movie. Minority Report is pretty dark as well. Lost World has a more serious atmosphere as compared to Jurassic Park. I like that he tries different styles but he seems to miss the mark slightly with his more recent films as compared to his earlier films, though most stand up well compared to 1941.

- Adam

You are both right. I forgot to write The Color Purple, and entirely forgot about RoTS. Only reinforces what I said- two excellent serious films.