Next FSM releases - William's Checkmate?

BigMacGyver

These are the clues for the next batch of FSM releases:

"Coming Next Month: For scheduling reasons, two Silver Age titles: two swinging sixties LPs on one CD and a WWII favorite from the 1970’s."

One of the LP reissues could very well be the long rumoured release of William's jazzy score for the 60's TV series Checkmate.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumour has it that the next batch of Varese CD's is not going to come out before may. I know that's hardly a guarantee but varese seems to have other priorities right now with their busy release schedule for spring.

What WWII film could they be talking about that's a favorite?

I've seen a few people ask LK about Force 10.

Maybe they are going to release the original tracks to Midway or McArthur might get a re-release. Wishful thinking would be a legit expanded 1941.

I know there are plenty of War films to choose from.

It must be a score which does not suffer from a difficult licencing situation which pretty much cancels out 1941 since the OST is still in print on varese and otherwise the rights would belong to Universal which makes it pretty much impossible for FSM to release it. Midway is another universal title and therefore hard to do for them.

Force 10 from Navarone might be possible but Lukas kendall stated one year ago that we should "better not hold our breath for this one". That situation could have changed by now.

He also stated recently that they are going to release a title that they have been working on for the past 7 years.

Personally i would love to see force 10 released because i liked the score very much when i watched the film. Another possibility is Elmer Bernstein's Canon for Cordoba (1970).

I'm a Williams fan and Checkmate?...who cares.They should try to be more persuasive to GET the "difficult" licencing rights to what we all want(Family Plot,Black sunday...ect...)

K.M.

You are refering to titles owned by studios like Paramount that are simply not negotiating about anything. If you want to express your frustation towards anyone then to their music executives. Sadly, there is no way to do that (what a coincidence) and the labels seem to get all the rant from fans... for releasing the great music that they can get their hands on.

I'm a Williams fan and Checkmate?...who cares.They should  try to be more persuasive to GET the "difficult" licencing rights to what we all  want(Family Plot,Black sunday...ect...)

K.M.

I care and if that's what they can release right now I say go for it. I think it's been explained to death that those scores aren't in the near future.

Granted suprises happen but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Now here comes the best part:

The LP double header which includes the Williams score is not limited and available at only $16,95!

But the real winner is certainly Force 10. The score is dynamite and they even did a vibrant stereo sound! Can't wait to get this thing in my hands.

8O to both CDs.

-Mark, who has actually seen the movie Not With My Wife, You Don't! and found it amusing.

I would much rather have Black Sunday.