STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

Listened to your symphony now a few times. Wow excellent work! I'd like to point out two tracks that i liked very much.

- First DOTF: I usually don't listen to it anymore since i got quite bored with it. But now with the instrumental parts you added it feels like a welcome refresh. Just awesome!

- Qui-Gonn's Theme: I loved that theme in Episode I. You merged it all together very nice and the imperial march at the end's a fantastic way of hinting at things to come!

I was wondering: where did you get that imp. march sequence? Is it on the UE?

I'm really looking forward to your work on AOTC. Will it include a mix of the sith chorus and the imp. march (as it was used in the scene where Anakin confesses his deeds to Padme)?

Keep up the amazing work!! :)

As for AOTC, I don't have the 'sith chorus' confession scene...and I'm not sure if that has been found in any of the unreleased music. If I'm incorrect...somebody let me know!

Secondly, the Imperial March quotation at the end of TPMv2 is simply taken from the end of the credits / Anakin's Theme and transposed quite a bit lower. I then had to edit it together so it wasn't an extremely sloooow quotation. Transposition is something I do quite a bit to match up some pieces, disguise edits, and make my own artistic changes.

As far as the expanded ROTS, Mark...I just don't have high enough quality files. I have several different MP3 rips, but the 128 compression is so noticable it just bugs the sh!t out of me. If I can get higher quality files, there may be more unreleased music for me to use!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

The next suite, Attack of the Clones is pretty much finished. I am finding ways to incorporate some feedback if possible. The single release is coming up soon, titled...Anakin and the Senator. Of course this title is supposed to recall the Original Trilogy romance of Han Solo and the Princess.

Anakin and the Senator is a brief, lovely theme than needed to be expanded. Hopefully all of you will enjoy it as much as I do.

aotcsinglecoverpr8.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for Anakin and the Senator by artist Mike Malone.

Mega dittos on that one. (Although I was kind of hoping it might be a Shmi's Theme single. We just don't have enough of that beautiful theme.)

And sorry I haven't commented on your TPM edit yet. I like it a lot.

The Qui-Gon single is great. The first cue comes from the part where Qui-Gon is making the bet with Watto, right? That's a nice, almost mystical way of opening it. Is it a variant of any of the main themes? And I was very pleasantly surprised by the next cue from the scene where he saves Jar Jar. I've always loved that little cue, and thought it was brilliant that you included it. The first two notes sound like the Force Theme, before it goes off into it's own variation (not sure if it's of a main theme or is completely unique).

And of course, Vader's Theme at the end was chilling.

I may have edited one of the cues a bit differently though. It's the part when Maul and Qui-Gon are fighting in the desert. Your edit starts just as Qui-Gon's Theme begins. You leave out the part where they're running to the ship and Qui-Gon tells Anakin to drop, etc. I was just wondering about that.

Interesting that you miss that piece of music. For me, it seems like a cue without context. Since the scene that preceeded them running was Qui-Gon taking down the probe droid...they really have no reason to be running with such urgency at that time.

Plus...I was attempting to make a more cohesive Qui-Gon theme.

Thanks for the comments...I appreciate it.

Well, I just said I MAY have edited it differently. You have a much better handle on this sort of thing than I do.

A cue without context? I wouldn't have been able to come up with that. :(

Its just one of those scenes that always bugs me...

I just thought I'd apply the rationale I used in editing to better illustrate the point of view I had.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...

...finally.

The single for AOTCv2 is now released! Sorry for the delay...its been more about time than anything. I'm tweaking away the film's suite and already beginning to work on ROTSv2...although I'm having some snags.

Anywho...download the single for AOTCv2, "Anakin and the Senator" at the website.

...boy I sure hope all of you are saving that link!

Here's some info that was updated in the first post...

The next suite, Attack of the Clones is pretty much finished. I am finding ways to incorporate some feedback if possible. The single has been released, titled...Anakin and the Senator. Of course this title is supposed to recall the Original Trilogy romance of Han Solo and the Princess.  

Anakin and the Senator is a brief, lovely theme than needed to be expanded. Hopefully all of you will enjoy it as much as I do. It has a runtime of 1:58, and has been comprised of only 9 edits (there wasn't much of this theme to work with). Hopefully this can stand as some sort of concert version of the theme.

aotcsinglecoverpr8.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for Anakin and the Senator by artist Mike Malone.

And FYI - if anyone is looking for the FLAC versions of TPMv2 suite...I am reuploading them as we speak. I'll have the new links on the website tomorrow.

Well, it seems that these last messages have been overlooked, so here I go.

First of all, hi! I've been reading in this forum for maybe four years but just recently I have started to post. I downloaded the Symphony for a Saga v1 and your TPM single and suite and I enjoyed them very much.

Now, in short, this new single was short, sweet, smooth. Very enjoyable, but in a subtler way. Maybe it could be described as relaxing. I liked it very much. Congratulations and thank you for sharing this with us.

I like this new single very much. It's nice to enjoy a 'concert' type version of this piece. It really is a nice compliment to Han Solo and the Princess and also Across the Stars.

It's definitely much lighter and happy than Across the Stars, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the 'real' love theme. I would perhaps say it expresses the 'light' side of their relationship while Across the Stars is more the 'dark' side - it very well expresses their conflicted/doomed love (which is what wins out in the end) whereas Anakin and the Senator is good and sweet.

So to put it shortly, they're both romantic. Across the Stars is sad :cry: ; Anakin and the Senator is happy. :thumbup:

Good work and thanks for sharing. I look forward to your future releases. Any hints on what the single will be for Revenge of the Sith? ;)

Thanks for the comments...

Actually, you may be correct, this theme is more of a Courtship theme than a mature love theme (althought Lucas gave us anything BUT a mature love story).

As for the single for REVENGE OF THE SITH...things are still up in the air. I have some ideas and hopes...but I'm not sure yet.

• 1 month later...

TA-DA

Finally...ATTACK OF THE CLONES version 2 is complete!

What took so long you ask? Well, aside from moving to a new state, having a new job that truely kicks my freetime's butt...This was a difficult suite. Sure, it now sounds quite a lot like my first version, with some additions...BUT...it took a long time to get there.

I tried many variations, attempting to add in quite a few themes that I felt were missing. None of these additions and rearrangements 'felt' as solid as the original. I started to become frustrated, and then later accepted the fact that this suite seemed to want to be a particular way. There you have it. Below is the final track listing, with a total runtime of 24:06 and a mere 46 edits.

"Attack of the Clones Suite"

Across the Stars - 00:00 - 02:27

Master Yoda's Lesson - 02:27 - 03:58

A Dangerous and Disturbing Mystery - 03:58 - 06:30

Attack of the Clones - 06:30 - 09:24

The Tatooine Interlude - 09:24 - 10:00

Anakin and the Senator - 10:00 - 11:51

To a Dark Place - 11:51 - 18:58

The Shroud of the Dark Side - 18:58 - 24:06

All music composed by John Williams

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

I am only just beginning to upload this suite on the Symphony for a Saga webstie. Once again, there are two versions: the Suite, which is just one file; and a tracked version, which is eight files. Available formats will be MP3 192 and 320. I am also uploading FLAC versions first.

For those who bookmarked the website, head over there to see if the version you want is available yet. I hope to have them all uploaded by tonight or tomorrow. Anyone else, please drop me a PM.

ROTSv2 is already in progress...I'm having some editing nightmares, but so far I like! I'll make a single announcement when I'm closer to finishing.

In addition, if anyone would like to contribute some nice high quality covers for THE PHANTOM MENACE SUITE and THE ATTACK OF THE CLONES SUITE, I would certainly appreciate it. I'm hoping to find a cover artist who can do all three prequel covers, so let me know if you are interested!

Likewise, I am still hoping to find someone who can collaborate on the video editing of this project.

Finally, the only thing I ever ask for is to have people to leave their comments. The feedback from fans is the only thing that has motivated me to pull this project off the shelves.

Don't be afraid that this is 'fan made', I have taken great care in its assembly. Just ask around...

Thanks!

*Also...Marc...can we get a thread title change to: STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga AOTC FINISHED!

FLAC versions are uploaded.

320 MP3 versions are uploaded.

192 MP3 versions are uploaded.

Enjoy...and let me know what you think!

Nice! Congratulations on finishing yet another suite. I'm downloading it right now.

BTW: I once made attached covers for my attempted Star Wars prequel edits. They are meant to be similar to the Special Edition covers that were released by Sony. I still have the PSD files, so I could change the text on the covers for you so that you could use them for your suites if you like.

sw_ep1_cover_small.jpg sw_ep2_cover_small.jpg sw_ep3_cover_small.jpg

Well I did caught you posting a direct link to that page for that Star Wars: Symphony For a Saga AOTC suite before until I mentioned it ...now that you deleted it whereas it could of done via PM...

Nevermind.

Bending the rules are you Marc????

Hey....I'm all in support of bending the rules for such a great work as this!!!

Still mixing, editing, or whatever you to do to change the original sources of your own music is still considered to be legal music....

LOL ....I'm not a moderator or administrator at all....so it really up to Marc (Moderator) and Ricard (root admin)....

I just got to listen to the new suite yesterday at work, and I must say, I like it. I'll enjoy giving it a better listen later when I'm not distracted, but it did make for a nice listen. Thanks for working on this.

84 downloads later...

anyone else care to leave any feedback?

I have this thing where the more I hear from people, the more likely I am to get cracking on the next release. I am interested in what people have to say. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all...

Just wanted to drop in a word and say that the single for ROTS is pretty much completed. I had a few different ideas and different themes I was trying out...and now I've nailed it.

I'm getting artwork done and we'll be ready for a title release soon!

BTW...if people still want FLAC downloads, please let me know as they keep getting deleted for space and lack of usage. Thanks!

Awesome. I was just wondering how the ROTS Suite was coming along!

Hey all...

Just wanted to drop in a word and say that the single for ROTS is pretty much completed. I had a few different ideas and different themes I was trying out...and now I've nailed it.

I'm getting artwork done and we'll be ready for a title release soon!

BTW...if people still want FLAC downloads, please let me know as they keep getting deleted for space and lack of usage. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Great work tlbauerle! Your edits are very well done. I particularly like the one in the TPM symphony where the music switches from the track, The Chosen One, to Anakin's Theme. I have to admit though I didn't realize Qui-gon had a theme. :embarrased:

So, when's the ROTS symphony going to be finished?

Y'know...it is interest like this that keeps me plugging along on the project.

I will be announcing the title of the ROTS single quite soon....so stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always wary of fan-made efforts, but I have listened to these Episode I and II suites lately and found them very enjoyable. Would certainly recommend that fans of "Star Wars" music give them a listen.

Noticed that the website mentions the possibility of structuring a narrative video edit of the saga to accompany the music suites. I've done a fair bit of editing myself, and to achieve a high quality end product the amount of work involved would be truly horrifying; no wonder the editor pulled out - I'd still be running now. :blink:

IMO it couldn't work anyway though, because the music suites would need to have been edited with the narrative flow in mind beforehand. For example, "Duel of the Fates" would have to be at the end of the Episode I suite rather than at the beginning, there would need to be a bit of action music about midway for the podrace, and so on.

In any case, I suspect that the tracks are also just far too long for a "music video"-style edit (even if the music were re-edited with the narrative in mind). A 25 or 30 minute track for the whole saga could work, I think, but editing a video for it would still be an unenviable task.

Hope to hear about an Episode 3 suite before too long! ;)

You wouldn't need to make a miniature Episode I, though, would you? Just as long as you take the images to re-construct the retell the story even though they are out of chrono order. Just like the suit themselves.

Just my two cents. I've been throwing them around all over the place today.

You wouldn't need to make a miniature Episode I, though, would you? Just as long as you take the images to re-construct the retell the story even though they are out of chrono order. Just like the suit themselves.

Just my two cents. I've been throwing them around all over the place today.

Wouldn't work very well in practice, unfortunately. Imagine scenes of the lightsabre duel, followed by an Otoh Gunga scene, and then Anakin and company arriving on Coruscant, which is followed by some podracing action... it would be a mess. All this cutting and pasting works fine for a musical montage, but for a storytelling montage the structure is far less flexible.

Isolating one thread of the story and putting it to one piece of music would work - perhaps the Anakin and Padme storyline accompanied by "Across the Stars", for example. If real work wasn't so hectic at present, that's the one I would have a go at. It's on my "to do" list... :D

Another significant problem with creating a long montage sequence is that a large quantity of shots would be unusable because they contain dialogue. Shots of characters talking with no sound coming out look awful in a montage (it's known as "goldfishing") and once you've discarded all of those, filling a 25 minute suite with shots from just one episode would be impossible.

A pacey suite of the main themes (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Imperial March, and the like) would lend itself to a story montage of the whole saga, but I get the impression it's the music that comes first on this project, and quite rightly too because I'm waiting to hear the other episodes' suites!

hey thanks for the discussion.

ROTS is on its way...and I'm actually cracking on the video side.

The idea is to create a narrative...but juxtapose some scenes with different music. The point is not to match up the music with the same scene. It's going to take some refining of the idea...and you're right Duel of the Fates makes for a difficult piece placed at the begining...but we'll see what happens. The style of the video will be similar to the style of the offical videos as well. There will be some dialogue and some sound FX. I've ripped and decoded the video and audio. I'm working on the first trailer now.

Anyways...I still need to finish up ROTS a bit. Somethings aren't working. I'm really stuck on Battle of the Heroes and its placement.

hey thanks for the discussion.

ROTS is on its way...and I'm actually cracking on the video side.

The idea is to create a narrative...but juxtapose some scenes with different music. The point is not to match up the music with the same scene. It's going to take some refining of the idea...and you're right Duel of the Fates makes for a difficult piece placed at the begining...but we'll see what happens. The style of the video will be similar to the style of the offical videos as well. There will be some dialogue and some sound FX. I've ripped and decoded the video and audio. I'm working on the first trailer now.

Anyways...I still need to finish up ROTS a bit. Somethings aren't working. I'm really stuck on Battle of the Heroes and its placement.

Good to hear that the Episode III music is well advanced.

As for a video montage, when I said that the structure of the suite would be better suited with Duel of the Fates at the end and a central action piece for the podrace, I didn't mean the exact podrace music (which was only a short tracked section anyway IIRC) but just a piece with some drama to it. Including sound effects and dialogue will smooth over that difficulty though, as any quiet sections of music can be covered by explosions, engines and blasters if necessary! (Although sections of the movie sound will usually already include music, as well as sound effects, so that becoming audible in the mix might be a problem? Unusually, the podrace wouldn't have much of a problem there, with so little music on that sequence.)

Listening to the suites though, I'm still leaning to the view that they are far too mellow to accompany a condensed visual version of the saga. I do have the ROTS music DVD but only ever watched it once on the day it was new, so will have to dig it out and see what their edits were like. I'm probably imagining something quite different from the actual intent!

Well, actually...I have always thought I'd cut the podrace sequence entirely. Plus, I was planning on cutting out Jar Jar, since I dispatched with all of the musical references to him.

• 6 months later...

UPDATED! 1/30/08

Rumors of my death have been mildly exaggerated!

A new single is completed! After far too long, the single for Revenge of the Sith: The Lava Planet is now complete!.

This theme required some creativity in the use of alternate and unreleased music. Much of the theme is unaltered. Now The Lava Planet serves as the back drop for the battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin. The Lava Planet has a runtime of 3:20.

rotssingle100dpijk9.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for The Lava Planet by me! I waited far too long for Mike's artwork this time.

All music composed by John Williams

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

For those who bookmarked where the last one was found, download the latest or previous releases in 192 or 320 MP3...or FLAC. Anyone else, please drop me a PM.

ROTSv2 will be completed shortly!

The only thing I ask is for people to leave their comments. Don't be afraid that this is 'fan made', I have taken great care in its assembly.

Thanks!