Your favorite performance by an actress. Ever.

Sandor

I have three favorites actually.

1. Charlize Theron in Monster. I totally loved this film and, for me, Theron's performance is arguably the best I have ever seen. Also the finest make-up work in the history of film. Christina Ricci is also fabulous in this film.

2. Ellen Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream. Also a fantastic film with Burstyn's performance as the main strength. I loved her in The Exorcist and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, but this is THE crowning achievement of her career.

3. Cher in Mask. The least obvious choice perhaps, but ever since I saw this film more than a decade ago I haven't forgotten Cher's utterly powerful and sincere performance.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alfre Woodard in First Contact.

Okay, seriously. I dunno. It's easier to pick male actors b/c you want to be like them when they're good. With women...you either wanna have sex with them, ignore them, or wish your mom was that cool. I'd maybe go with Sigourney Weaver in The Year of Living Dangerously?

1. Charlize Theron in Monster. I totally loved this film and, for me, Theron's performance is arguably the best I have ever seen. Also the finest make-up work in the history of film. Christina Ricci is also fabulous in this film.

Meh. For me, she was lauded because she agreed to look like that. I thought she was good, but nothing amazing.

But, for the record, I find I am less impressed by female actors. I don't know why that is, but I just very rarely feel like I've just seen a really good performance by an actress.

Last one that comes to mind is Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake. Before that? I love Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night.

Meryl Streep would beat all contenders for Sophies Choice, I don't believe there has ever been a finer performance.

Here are some performances that impressed me. I'm not participating in calling them "best ever". That's just not my style.

- Emma Thompson in Howard's End and The Remains Of The Day. It should be noted that I especially love Thompson when she opposing Hopkins. Pure chemistry!

- Sissy Spacek in Night, Mother.

Meryl Streep would beat all contenders for Sophies Choice, I don't believe there has ever been a finer performance.

Her performance deserved a much better movie.

1. Charlize Theron in Monster. I totally loved this film and, for me, Theron's performance is arguably the best I have ever seen.

She is very good, but a bit overpraised.

Critics and the Academy seem to love it when an actor or actress does something radical like gain or lose an vast amount of weight for a role.

Supposedly this shows determination to bring a character alive.

Gainging 60 pounds has in itself nothing to do with acting, not do wearing an extensive array of make-up to look different.

A fantastic performance for sure, but I still think Jessica got the pity Oscar that year for Tootsie. Better than nothing though.

I think a lot of people in this thread need to see more movies.  Some of these picks are horrendous.

Carrie Fisher in Return of The Jedi. :mrgreen:

Justin

1. Charlize Theron in Monster. I totally loved this film and, for me, Theron's performance is arguably the best I have ever seen.

She is very good, but a bit overpraised.

Critics and the Academy seem to love it when an actor or actress does something radical like gain or lose an vast amount of weight for a role.

Supposedly this shows determination to bring a character alive.

Gainging 60 pounds has in itself nothing to do with acting, not do wearing an extensive array of make-up to look different.

I agree. So why Christian Bale didn't at least get a nomination for The Machinist is beyond me.

In recent films, I was quite taken in by Bryce Dallas Howard's performance in The Village.

No depth, not that it's her fault though.

This thread is beyong salvation.

I think people are really taking away a lot from Theron's performance by refering to the fact that she underwent a physical change.

I wonder if those people actually SAW the film.

Because with or without the weight, the fake teeth and all, Theron's PERFORMANCE is what made me praise her in the first place. And the performance IS good. VERY good.

PS Alex - ever see Shallow Grave?

Saw it again yesterday. Was just wondering. This could go on for quite a while, but did you ever see Happiness? A very daring, provocative European film.

Saw it again yesterday. Was just wondering. This could go on for quite a while, but did you ever see Happiness? A very daring, provocative European film.

No, not seen Happiness, I'm afraid.

Kim Basinger in LA Confidential

Now we're getting somewhere.

Rebecca Romijn in Femme Fatale.

Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

Carrie-Anne Moss in Memento.

Lorraine Bracco in Goodfellas.

Michelle Pfeiffer in What Lies Beneath.

Jodie Foster in Contact.

Justin

I love Jodie Foster. She was equally good in The Accused, funky in stuff like The Hotel New Hampshire or the original Freaky Friday and way cool in Taxi Driver.

I love Jodie Foster. She was equally good in The Accused, funky in stuff like The Hotel New Hampshire or the original Freaky Friday and way cool in Taxi Driver.

Jodie is always Jodie. She's overacting, and sometimes that can be annoying, like in Contact.

Jodie is always Jodie. She's overacting, and sometimes that can be annoying, like in Contact.

Is this, like, the only substantial thing people on this board can bring out when criticizing actors? Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise. Jodie Foster is always Jodie Foster. ... Such a lame, unfounded, cheap, pseudo-intellectual, pretentious remark. Jodie is only always Jodie if you WANT to see that. I saw The Accused and I saw a no-holds-barred, defiant youngster. I saw The Silence Of The Lambs and I saw Clarice Starling.

Overacting? I've read that twice now in this thread. It's like what people say who despretately want to give the impression they're the new Leonard Maltin or something.

True also.

See my previous post. ;)

And, uh, for what actor does this statement NOT apply by the way? Dustin Hoffman because he played in Tootsie and Hook? Johnny Depp because he played Jack Sparrow? Does an actor have to play a wildly eccentric role to break free from the fact that he is, in the end, himself.

True also.

See my previous post. ;)

And, uh, for what actor does this statement NOT apply by the way? Dustin Hoffman because he played in Tootsie and Hook? Johnny Depp because he played Jack Sparrow? Does an actor have to play a wildly eccentric role to break free from the fact that he is, in the end, himself.

Oh no, Roald, that's not necessary at all. Look at Harrison Ford! Han Solo (Star Wars), Indiana Jones (Raiders Of The Lost Ark), Rick Deckard (Blade Runner), John Book (Witness) or Allie Fox (The Mosquito Coast) each time showed us a different character.

Some actors can only play one type, one flavor, like Jodie Foster or Jack Nicholson. I like Jodie but , like I said before, sometimes here "flavor" tends to get annoying. In Contact she was overcooking it.The next time you watch it, pay special attention to her part, and get ready to be annoyed. Its like Al Pacino. He once was a good actor (in the seventies). Now he only plays one type, the big over-the-top, shouting type.

Alex

Please note that Ford has changed somewhere in the 90s. He too only comes in one flavor these days. Today we say: Ford is always Ford. It's strange but people seem to want that. It's called, "Give the audience what they expect".

Alex