The Danger motif in non-Horner scores

Luke Skywalker

Well, Horner used this motif as a tradermak, but other composers, intentionally or not, and even before him have used it lets make a list, i have a few:

the 1st incarnation in history that i know of, is by the man himself, yes, John Williams, in 1978's Superman. I think even Horner didnt had it in mind yet.

EDIT: (this is errorius, it barely resembles it) 'The big Rescue' starts with it. Has several renditions at 0:42, and at 2:12.

The cue is 'Lex luthor's Lair' as noted below (i did not had the full score at hand when i checked this just the cue i mentioned in a action cues compilation of mine)

2003 Giacchino's Secret Weapons over normandy 3:44 of track 'Zauara' one rendition

2007 Debney's LAIR end of track 'Training'

I think i found more in other composer's work but i cannot remember them...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Horner used this motif as a tradermak, but other composers, intentionally or not, and even before him have used it lets make a list, i have a few:

the 1st incarnation in history that i know of, is by the man himself, yes, John Williams, in 1978's Superman. I think even Horner didnt had it in mind yet.

'The big Rescue' starts with it. Has several renditions at 0:42, and at 2:12.

It also appears in "Lex Luthor's Lair" near the end of the track...and I know I've heard it in another Williams cue as well but can't quite remember :mellow:

I just listened to the aforementioned sections of the Big Rescue and agree that it's not the Horner danger motif, but it's all in chromatic steps (at least that's what I think I'm hearing)...so that might lend to any perceived similarity. Still can't remember that other Williams danger motif example... I think it may have been in a SW score...one of the prequels perhaps....anyone else know it?

Edit - I found it!...the last few seconds of "The Senate [War Clouds and an Alliance with Boss Nass]" in TPM:UE have a few statements of what sounds like the Danger Motif

Kamen's Open Range- the climactic battle is propelled by a five note motif that is extremely close to the danger motif.

I refound another one.

Kingdom of Heaven, Recording Sessions. Track 'Better man' at 0:48.

Another refound one: :(

Michael Giacchino's MOH Airborne

12 - Sniper Showdown, 2:37 several renditions.

• 3 years later...

Let's face it folks, the danger motif deserves a thread of its own!

The point of this thread is to try and accumulate all the instances the danger motif has shoved its face up in music. Rachmaninoff's iconic motif has long been taken up by Horner, but its definitely been shown off by many other composers. Let's see if we can compile these instances together.

Basically, when you find a danger motif moment to share, name the score, the composer and post a video with the specific timing in the cue. If the track cannot be found on youtube, then just name the cue and point out the time markings.

Oh, and while you're free to put up all the Horner moments, it'd probably be more fun if we stayed away from Horner's stuff at first.

By the way, its important to keep in mind that this thread is not meant to be any attack against any composer, its just to be some good fun, I personally enjoy the danger motif a lot (as long as its not used to death like it is in Enemy At the Gates or Troy). We're not claiming any of the composers are plagiarizing (many examples can probably be pure coincidence), we're just pointing out when it appears.

I'll start.

This is where the danger motif originally came from:

Symphony No.1 in D Minor (1897)

Sergei Rachmaninoff

OR IS IT?? :o

Hungarian Rhapsody no. 17 (1884)

Franz Liszt

0:14 - 0:28

How about some more modern examples?

Middle Earth anyone?

The Two Towers (2002)

The Breaching of Helm's Deep

Howard Shore

2:08 - 2:22

How about our beloved lord and saviour, John Williams? ;)

This one is a bit far-fetched, but I'll post it anyways.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Platform 9 and 3/4 and Journey to Hogwarts

John Williams

2:43 - 2:55

But with John Williams, you can hear him use the danger motif more prominently here (can't find a youtube video):

Superman (1978)

Lex Luthor's Lair (as heard on the Rhino release)

John Williams

4:18 - 4:33

Since I can't post any more youtube videos for now, I'll save up my other surprises (and boy do I have a LOT :D) until I hear a few from you folks.

Just stirring up the pot.

- KK

Lee - who smiles whenever he hears it, in both old and new scores.

Intentional or unintentional. ;)

In the Shore example the section is actually a motif called The Fellowship in Rohan played there like the danger motif. :P

Stargate (1994)

Quartz Shipment

David Arnold

1:16 - till end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0wqj6tnVI

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

Into Battle

David Arnold

4:20 - 4:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atOa5Bf80I

How about something even more recent?

Act of Valor (2012)

Exfil Now

Nathan Furst

4:08 (and other places)

- no youtube video -

The word 'Appreciation' should be inserted into the thread's title ;)

Lee - who smiles whenever he hears it, in both old and new scores.

Probably should have done that, kind of slipped my mind. As I said before, I enjoy the danger motif, even when Horner uses it, but just don't overdo it like it was done in Troy and such.

This is where the danger motif originally came from:

Symphony No.1 in D Minor (1897)

Sergei Rachmaninoff

OR IS IT?? :o

Hungarian Rhapsody no. 17 (1884)

Franz Liszt

0:14 - 0:28

And I still say it's from Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen. Curiously, Liszt took another theme from there, before Wagner actually published his own work, but apparently after Liszt had heard him play excerpts on the piano.

It apperars also in John Williams' Superman: The Movie. In the Lex Luthor's Lair. The last 30 seconds of the track. Can't find the clip.

Karol

It apperars also in John Williams' Superman: The Movie. In the Lex Luthor's Lair. The last 30 seconds of the track. Can't find the clip.

Karol

I mentioned that in the first post ;)

Karol

I mentioned that in the first post ;)

Oh yes you did. Sorry.

Karol

Well let me bring out the big guns now. :D

I have a friend who actually watches Bollywood movies, and since he knew I liked film music, he showed me this clip and thought I might have liked it. I didn't like it, but it did really interest me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRYRzCKikw

Now I'm going to blow your minds even more. After a little research on my part, I figured out something that may be of greater interest to this board.

Remember this?

http://www.jwfan.com...1&hl=smnol&st=0

Considering how his fame amongst JWfan members, you may find be intrigued by the fact that the composer of this clip is actually Illayarajah's son, Yuvan shankeaitwg;a or sometihng.

That's right, consider your minds, officially blown :D

Illaraya is the truth, the light, the love. He is everything!

So what does that make his son? :P

So what does that make his son? :P

Melkor?

Hehe...I see what you did there ;)

So there's Illuvatar Illayarajah, his son, Melkor...does that make Williams Manwe?

Well, Joseph Williams is John's son. So what does that make him?

Karol

Yes, but Williams is not Illayarajah...he cannot be compared to the Lord of light, truth and all greatness that existness in music...

Yes, but Williams is not Illayarajah...he cannot be compared to the Lord of light, truth and all greatness that existness in music...

Amen.

Karol