Marco Beltrami & Philip Glass - Fantastic Four (2015)

Jay

Would a "small piano" idea be enough to get a "Music By Philip Glass" credit?

Wouldn't that give us something like "Music By Marco Beltrami - Small Piano Idea By Philip Glass"?

It depends on how good his agent is at cutting a deal.

One really could only wish Glass composed for films like this one. I'd be far more curious to hear a score of his for any action film than for a more 'serious' effort at cinema.

It'd just sound the same as any of his other scores.

Yes, because Mishima, Kundun, Koyaanisqatsi and The Secret Agent all sound exactly the same.

Glass was apparently at the recording sessions in LA.

• 1 month later...

I like the Prelude. As per usual with glass that language is fairly circumscribed--I can forgive Koray for conflating Mishima, Kundun and The Secret Agent--despite the contrasting orchestration they occupy a similar harmonic world. Standard Glass in this track--cyclic transformations, common third progressions and so on, but that polychord at 0:36 is refreshing. At last, a non-triadic sonority... moments like these should be embraced.

Rest of the score sounds promising. At least the non-action bits.

It sounds so unorthodox and at the same time, very refreshing. Should be interesting to hear how it plays in the actual film.

Well this is curious news. Philip Glass is one composer credit I didn't expect for the reboot of the Fantastic Four. I'll have to check out the samples when I get back home.

I'm impressed by the Prelude. Glass's minimalistic (although both rhythmically engaging and vividly colorful) approach seems quite adept for the silver screen of today.

The polychord at 4:48 in the Prelude reminds me somewhat of the A#dim/E5 chord in Koechlin's Op. 18, especially when its lower spectrum becomes a bit clearer at 4:58. Are the two somewhat related?

I hear at as a kind of amalgam of all three chords of the theme - Gm, F# and Em. Tritonal. Reminds me more of the opening chord from JP.

Sounds very promising. Will be checking this out soon.

The way the 12/8 meter is sub-divided in the Prelude is quite impressive. 1&2&3&-1&2&-1&2&-1&2&-1&2&3&

Anyone else loving Baxter? Strong Glass influence here, if nothing else.

And am I the only one who heard the synth at 2:06 (after the Dies Irae statement) in He's Awake and thought "Oh shit, it's Ark of the Covenant!"?

Personally, I hear it as 6/8 over 3/4 with 3/2 "dome" measures(*). I really like the (two?) synth patch(es?) in the Prelude, by the way. Does anyone here know how they might have been created, or are they unaltered presets from some of the regular software (Omnisphere, Zebra)?

(*) /''''''''''''[3/2]''''''''''''''\

[6/8] - [6/8]

[3/4] - [3/4]

Well, it's Glass, so there's his unconventional sense of rhythm to be discussed.

If you want to start a non-theoretical discussion parallel to this one, feel free to do so ;).

How many people scored this?

Any disclosure yet?

Personally, I hear it as 6/8 over 3/4 with 3/2 "dome" measures(*).

You say tomahto, I say tomayto. ;)

I really like the (two?) synth patch(es?) in the Prelude, by the way. Does anyone here know how they might have been created, or are they unaltered presets from some of the regular software (Omnisphere, Zebra)?

I doubt it's a preset, though you could easily make it up from scratch on Zebra. I'd go with FM synthesis.

Six composers if you include the 'Electroacoustic Design' of Buck Sanders. Beltrami has been working with additional composers for years.

Wtf...

Don't know. Don't remember them.

After a first listen, I rather like it (especially the main theme, which unfortunately only flourishes in the last tracks of the album), though there is a lot of meandering stuff.

I like how the main theme is drawn from Glass' piece. And how Beltrami uses the 12/8 rhythm in places here and there.

But the album is too long. The major highlights are in the first half, and then the End Credits. Between that is a lot of meandering, though not entirely unpleasant at that.

Read the page!

While Glass was not in attendance at the recording sessions, ScoringSessions.com was, and we're thrilled to bring our readers the exclusive photos!