My Complete and Remastered Hook

GoodMusician

Hey all, I've been kinda saving this announcement for a while... at least until I could proove what I was able to do, and I think I've finally been able to get a markedly better mix/compilation than previously available.

I pulled out all the stops and have spent a lot of time. So far, I haven't gotten too far, but this should proove to be a nice set.

With the help of Markus Hauble who has helped me compile a lot of the music, I've been working hard to try to fix that grevious attempt at cleaning the original rips.

I've been careful to take into account the fact that the original release of the bootleg had the cues not only cleaned, but they were a hair too flat in pitch as well as slightly too slow. I've taken both into account and am being meticulous about making sure the cues match up correctly.

Also, another big thing I noticed about the score is how a lot of the releases have the same cue on a few discs as alteranes of but in reality, its the same thing or is mixed up, so I'm also being careful to fix this problem.

Anyways, this is what I have so far...

Disc 1

01) Tristar Fanfare - 0:23

02) Prologue (Album) - 1:35

03) Peter Pan Show Music (Source) - 1:43

04) We Don't Wanna Grow Up (Source) - 1:08

05) Banning Back Home (Film) - 3:27

06) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Source) - 1:02

07) Granny Wendy - 2:11

08) The Nursery - 1:04

09) Bedtime Stories - 1:39

10) Jack and the Watch - 0:54

11) The Dog Barks Hook - 2:00

12) Hook-Napped - 2:01

13) The Police Leave - 0:50

14) The Stories Are True (Film) - 1:07

15) Fairy Tales - 1:20

16) Arrival of Tinkerbell - 3:35

17) Flight to Neverland - 2:30

18) Presenting Pirate Town - 1:22

19) Pirate Town Chase - 0:49

20) Hook! - 1:36

21) Presenting Hook -

22 The Boo Box - 2:43

* Mermaids - 1:16

* Home of the Lost Boys - 3:11

* Presenting Rufio - 1:01

* The Lost Boys Chase (Combined) - 3:32

* The Face of Pan - 2:37

Disc 2

This is what I have so far... I'm really happy with how the cues are sounding and turning out... they arn't quite CD quality... but are DEFINATELY an improvement from the bootleg...

Anyways, I'll keep you all updated on this.. .I know how much you've all wanted something like this so I'll try to get it done soon so you can all enjoy it

:-D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, with the help of MH, I got a hold of a few ...the 2 disc,3, and 4 disc sets along with a compilation he had and the DVD... I'm using them, along with a program I have, to clean up and rebirth the music (sorta the same process I tested out on ROTJ but this time I'm working with mp3's bleh lol)

So yea... I mean, If you want to hear some comparisons of what I had and what I have now, let me know...

So yea... I mean, If you want to hear some comparisons of what I had and what I have now, let me know...

No thank you, the bootleg I made for myself suits my needs rather well untill a proper legit expanded/complete release arrives.

I have the 3 CD set, and the quality ranges from pretty good to awful. I heard the 2 Disc set has the best quality, but I don't know.

I'll take a listen to your set and compare it to the Concorde boot(which doesn't sound very good).Then I'll see what kind of miracles your software can do

Hey all, just wanted to give an updated cue list:

Disc 1 (55:56)

01) Tristar Fanfare - [0:23]

02) Prologue (Album) - [1:35]

03) Peter Pan Show Music (Source) - [1:43]

04) We Don't Wanna Grow Up (Source) - [1:08]

05) Banning Back Home (Film) - [3:27]

06) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Source) - [1:02]

07) Granny Wendy - [2:11]

08) The Nursery - [1:04]

09) Bedtime Stories - [1:39]

10) Jack and the Watch - [0:54]

11) The Dog Barks Hook - [2:00]

12) Hook-Napped - [2:01]

13) The Police Leave - [0:50]

14) The Stories Are True (Film) - [1:07]

15) Fairy Tales - [1:20]

16) Arrival of Tinkerbell - [3:35]

17) Flight to Neverland - [2:30]

18) Presenting Pirate Town - [1:22]

19) Pirate Town Chase - [0:49]

20) Hook! - [1:36]

21) Presenting Hook - [2:43]

22) The Boo Box - [0:59]

23) Peter Pan - Banning - [1:24]

24) My Worthy Opponent? - [0:46]

25) The Children (Unused) - [2:58]

26) That is Not Pan - [2:02]

27) Overboard - [0:33]

28) Mermaids - [1:16]

29) Home of the Lost Boys - [3:11]

30) Rufio's Grand Entrance (Unused) - [1:05]

31) The Lost Boys Chase - [2:19]

32) Play! (Film) - [1:18]

33) There You Are Peter - [2:37]

* Smee's Plan - [1:44]

* The Banquet - [3:07]

* The Never-Feast - [4:39]

* Remembering Childhood - [11:02]

* You Are the Pan - [1:21]

* When You're Alone - [3:13]

* The Ultimate War - [7:35]

* Farewell Neverland - [10:16]

* End Credits - [6:00]

* Prologue (Alternate I) - [4:42]

* Exit Music - [1:43]

* Prologue (Alternate II) - [4:12]

* Banning Back Home (Album) - [2:22]

* Arrival of Tinkerbell (Alternate) -

* Granny Wendy (Alternate) - [1:06]

* Play (Album) - [1:18]

* Play (Combined) - [1:18]

* Prologue (Pitch Corrected) - [1:37]

For those of you who don't know, "Play" is that part when peter is standing on the court and they want him to "play." On the album, we have a different arrangement than the purely synth percussion heard in the film.

Well, if you layer them, they work perfectly. So I did...and that created the "combined" version as well... I'm really widling away at a lot of these cues. Some edits I have had alternates of cues that dont ahve alternate and all this stuff... it was too confusing. I'm hoping to really straighten this out. A lot of the "alternates" are simply edited cues which is just dumb that people would have them as alternats. The only difference in "Arrival of Tinkerbell" is the two harp chord/glissandos...which I'm thinking may simply be how it was recorded... and that the album cuts down ont he time between them... because it's the only preceptable difference... anyone know much about that?

Anyways... I'm still moving along. I have more cues of course done (like ones from the album) but I'm going in order here lol

I'm curious to see how it turns out. All the versions I have have good to poor sound. The concorde version sounds like Shawn Murphy mixed it.

Someone had once mentioned to me they arn't prologue tracks once... but in all the sets, that's what they're claled. It's the opening to Prologue from the album but then goes on into different matiera.

I'm also considering taking the prologue track from the album and pitch correcting it and putting that on the album as well...

Someone had once mentioned to me they arn't prologue tracks once... but in all the sets, that's what they're claled. It's the opening to Prologue from the album but then goes on into different matiera.

Well, if you've taken those tracks from the 3-disc boot, then they're both concert arrangements: the first one ("Flight to Neverland") is from the Boston Pops' Williams on Williams: Classic Spielberg Scores CD and the other should be from an Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops CD (the Fantasy and Adventure Album, if I remember well).

So there are higher quality versions available? good... I'll be sure to check those out and add them...

Which is the concorde version?

And no offence KM... but I havn't sent you many things I've done... and most of what I did were DVD rip.. and if there is a boot out there that is of that quality, I'd like to use it in this set...

The DIFFERENCE with my set and the others is that I'm going to make it complete... I'm going to make it as good a quality as possible using all the techniques I know... and also try to replace the other boots because they are so confusing... all claiming to be complete and have all these alternates and so far, I've only found 2 alternates lol... not like...12 like most of the boots have...

My point is I'm trying to correct all the other bootlegs and make one that is truly complete, truly comprehensive, and is truly something listenable...

Of course it's not going to be perfect and sound EXACTLY CD quality, but it's going to be better than what's out there...

And if this Concorde release is as good as you say it is, I want it so I can use it.

From what was given to me, the only one that sounds ok was the 4 disc set, but even then, the low quality of the tracks I was given and that probably most people have are too obvious and so I'm attempted to fix that.

Just...realize the purpose of this before you try to be too much of a party pooper ;-) heh

The 4 disk set is very likely made with the Concorde boot in part.The problem with the unreleased music on that Concorde boot is that heavy hiss reduction was used and the music suffers from the resulting digital artifacts.A number of years ago I thought it sounded good untill I got better headphones

It's a shame no one can get a hold of the masters and leak a proper sounding version of the score... similar for what they did for Air Force One's full score.

I listened to what you have so far and several cues (particulary the pirate stuff that sounds like it was ripped from the DVD) sound better than my 3 Disc set. The track "Fairy Tales" sounds a lot better, too. Other tracks sound about the same, while others are bad (tinny, crackly).

yea... I'm still working on a few of them. Since I sent you those, I've gone back and re-done quite a few of the tracks and have actually been able to make the tracks sound so clean, that it was almost a draw between teh DVD rip and the cleaned files.

I'm still perfecting the process... but I think I have it down now.

Here is an UPDATED track list:

Disc 1 (1:01:17)

01) Tristar Fanfare - [0:23]

02) Prologue (Album) - [1:35]

03) Peter Pan Show Music (Source) - [1:43]

04) We Don't Wanna Grow Up (Source) - [1:08]

05) Banning Back Home (Film) - [3:27]

06) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Source) - [1:02]

07) Granny Wendy - [2:11]

08) The Nursery - [1:04]

09) Bedtime Stories - [1:39]

10) Jack and the Watch - [0:54]

11) The Dog Barks Hook - [2:00]

12) Hook-Napped - [2:01]

13) The Police Leave - [0:50]

14) The Stories Are True (Film) - [1:07]

15) Fairy Tales - [1:20]

16) Arrival of Tinkerbell - [3:35]

17) Flight to Neverland - [2:30]

18) Presenting Pirate Town - [1:22]

19) Pirate Town Chase - [0:49]

20) Hook! - [1:36]

21) Presenting Hook - [2:43]

22) The Boo Box - [0:59]

23) Peter Pan - Banning - [1:24]

24) The Scar - [0:46]

25) Fly Peter (Unused) - [2:58]

26) That is Not Pan - [2:02]

27) Overboard - [0:34]

28) Mermaids - [1:16]

29) Home of the Lost Boys - [3:11]

30) Rufio's Grand Entrance (Unused) - [1:05]

31) The Lost Boys Chase - [2:19]

32) Play! (Film) - [1:18]

33) There You Are Peter - [2:37]

34) Hook's Lament (Film Take) - [2:14]

35) Smee's Plan - [1:44]

36) Pick 'em Up (Part I) - [1:12]

37) Pick 'em Up (Part II) - [1:16]

Disc 2 (10:47)

01) Lessons - [2:59]

02) The Banquet - [3:07]

03) Never-Feast (Film) - [2:56]

04) Bangarang - [1:50]

05) When you're All Alone - [3:17]

06) Good Night Neverland - [1:40]

07) The Clock Museum - [4:01]

08) Take Me Out to the Ball Game I and II (Source) - [

09) Run Home Jack - [

10) Remembering Childhood - [

11) You Are The Pan - [1:26]

12) Tinkerbell's Big - [

13) Preparing for Battle - [

14)

May I ask what is the difference between the film version of Banning Back Home and the album version?

I eagerly await this. Looks fascinating.

The film version is actually a different recording... it's a lot longer... it has extra instruments at times and different embelishments and has an extended sequence of simply percussion accompanying one of the tense ball game moments.

The score is coming along... I actually managed to make a nearly vocal-less "When You're All Alone" using the channels.

Gotta say, I LOVE these early DVD's lol... they don't mix things very difficult to clean... most of the channels are completely clean except the center one... Gotta love that! lol

On top of that, they mix things funny...

Like the Tri-star Fanfare is only in the front channels... not in anything else...

And the Peter pan song "We don't wanna grow up," the vocals are isolated to the center channel. If you simply listen to that channel, you don't hear any music at all... just the voices...

And the piano itself is only in the front speakers lol... so it's kinda wonky at times lol... but still it's really clean compared to modern soundtracks which really utilize the full 5.1...

So it's coming along.

I noticed that the track "Flight to Neverland" is not actually complete, but is the edited version from the OST. The complete piece has a longer statement of the 'Neverland Theme' at the end. Also, the film version of "The Face of Pan" includes a choir, but a choir is not actually heard in the film because (I think) the track was mislabeled as the film version. It is actually an alternate.

GM, are you using the Superbit edition of Hook to rip the music? The DTS track should yield better sound, right?

I have both editions of the DVD. Tomorrow, I'll listen them and do a comparison. It might be too late to incorporate the DTS mix into your current project, but oh well...

Keep up the great work!

Can you steef?

You're the one who started that dummies for DVD ripping tutorial thread...

I don't think you can.

I thought someone had tried and couldn't or they did but once it was ripped the playback would be the same as ripping it from the dolby tracks.

Alright, I did a quick side-by-side DTS vs. Dolby Digital comparison of the Hook audio tracks (as available on DVD-Video). I used a good 5.1 speaker system. So I could compare the music-featuring segments more easily, I set up two deck DVD players and switched between the inputs on my receiver. The DTS track is the clear winner, with more depth and power than the DD track. (Just to note, they both sound better than the official CD, which sounds like it has the life sucked out of it.)

I few years ago I made an expanded Hook double-CD. I recording parts from the Hook VHS, where sound effects and dialog were at a minimum. (Believe it or not, the sound quality of a good-condition VHS is actually better than CD.) For the last part of the film, the music is listenable on the DVD if you unplugged the center channel from the 5.1 mix (so as to avoid most of the voices and main sound effects).

I've never tried to rip DTS tracks from a DVD, but it may be able to be done... GM, is it too late for this project?

Well, I would love to use whatever people offer me... if people think they have better sounding stuff, contact me becuase I'd love to make a compilation that we can all enjoy...