Upcoming Films

Quintus

Didn't you mean Walking Dead, Alex?

I called that show Lost with zombies. Stopped watching it after S1. "Dynasty With Zombies" are not my words but I can see where it's coming from. 'The Houses' can be compared to the dynasties in Dynasty. Of course, the zombies would be the dead people walking in the forest beyond the great wall. I forgot how they are called. I've only seen them in the pilot episode.

Well, zombies don't instantly spring to mind when I think about GoT. I'm rather bemused that anyone would take that extremely minor aspect away with them after watching it. So far, I think those inflicted by the magic of the White Walkers have featured in under five minutes of total air time in a show which is now into its fifteenth episode.

It'd be like me saying Twin Peaks is a soap about murder and David Duchovny as a transexual FBI agent.

Basically, whoever said that about Game of Thrones is an idiot.

That's what they say about Game Of Thrones. It's Dynasty with zombies. Mad Men is without these crude and enlarged dramatics and plays more like a subtle study about social and corporate life in the '60s. It's the little observations about life and human behaviour that make the show.

it's interesting only when january jones tries to act her way out of a paperbag. It's a wonder the beauty doesn't suffocate. You can bet that paperbad doesn't have a single tear in it.

Take any two episodes of the Mentalist and more people watched them than those who watched an entire season of mad men.

Actually, January Jones' Betty is one of the best, most beautifully nuanced performances by a woman I've seen in years. I think she is fantastic and definitely one of the show's main draws, character-wise. So drop-dead gorgeous; yet so desperately sad.

she is lovely to look at but I find her acting atrocious.

She is pretty eye candy in the X-men film-s(assuming she is in First Class part 2)

I felt like jumping into the telly and protecting her when Don SHOVED her nearly off her feet in the bedroom! Her authenticity makes me feel so sorry for the character. Hats off to the lady - she took that unnervingly realistic domestic incident very well, her face never betraying the tension of the moment.

Blank stare.

To release the topic i'll say that the SNOW WHITE movie will be a watershed moment for me: If JNH fucks up this one too, he will be officially out of my personal A-league.

he was describing January Jones facial expression for anger, or happiness, or sorrow, or joy, or humor.

Basically, whoever said that about Game of Thrones is an idiot.

He also called it the greatest soap opera ever made. But you're right, you can't say "with zombies" if the dead people play such a minor role (Of course, there are no zombies in Dynasty so that's why he adds them in the title). Me calling The Walking Dead "Lost with zombies" is dead on though.

Anyway, I'm off to watch eppy 8 of GOT now.

he was describing January Jones facial expression for anger, or happiness, or sorrow, or joy, or humor.

Means fuck all to me though does it, coming from pub. The most pugnacious and contrary bore on here who only posts when he's found some something to sneer at. I'd rather read Josh500.

Means fuck all to me though does it, coming from pub. The most pugnacious and contrary bore on here who only posts when he's found some something to sneer at. I'd rather read Josh500.

I didn't know you were feuding, I was just having fun with you, didn't mean to stir the .....

I saw an article on another site saying they were moving forward with Vaughn again. Makes you wonder where people get their sources, although MovieWeb is most definitely not the most reliable.

In other news, the Gangster Squad trailer is up. Has potential, but seems like it's not going to be much of a noir. The line at the end is terrible, and you just know they were trying to avoid the Max Payne scene :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3Ab52uqM8

they were using rap music in the preview, I knew instantly that was bad.

It's marketing, Joey. I wasn't a fan of its use either, but I'm sure the film is far from bad. I always enjoy Penn on screen.

It's not going to be the new Chinatown, that's for sure. It looks like a stylized, comic book version of The Untouchables, perhaps a little more seen from the angle of the gangsters. Not sure about Penn (the trailer did not yet convince me), but it's nice to see Nick Nolte in a L.A. Noir movie again.

Alex

Kick-Ass worked better as an one-time surprise film.

It should have been better anyway, it had outbursts of being bland. Some solutions in the comic book were much cooler.

Good point. Then I want to know, will Lick-Ass be the prequel, or the direct-to-video third installment? Someone will think making the movie rhymes is really smart.

They only thing the poster didn't have to do was also put the name Brad Pitt on it. I love the simplified, characteristic shape and minimal info. Very '70s, like Andrew Dominik's cinema. I think this poster could become a classic. It's the kind of stuff people hang on their walls even if they have never seen the film.

Alex

If it released twenty years ago I'd say definitely, but I dunno, there's something a bit too obvious about it. Like its really trying to look like an iconic image. But maybe you'll be right about it, who knows.

You have a point. It's design that is melancholic for the '70s, it's nothing new, but I'm betting new generations don't think that deep. They will love the simple, recognizable, obvious symbols. At first you go, "Interesting ... but isn't it a bit easy?" Then after a few days/weeks you'll say, "Damn, it's exactly what it should be!"

Of course, the truth is, the movie will flop (like his previous films) and Dominik and this poster will never be heard of again.

I've always a fan of the book. And while this film looks good, I'm not very confident if it'll stay true the source. Although I must say, I always thought DiCaprio would quite ideal for the Gatsby role.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this film.