'Alien' versus 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

Hlao-roo

Josh500 rocks my world.  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which score is better?

• 'Alien'
    • 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

Seriously ,I think Alien is one of the most overrated scores in the film score community. Hypersleep ,Sign Off and End Credits are beautiful ,and some of the alien planet music is haunting, but the rest just fits within the context of the film and not on c.d.

Can't be bothered to read through the whole page, but I agree with KM. I just don't understand what people love about this score.

CE3K easily.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with either scores. The films, on the other hand....

Either way, Close Encounters wins.

Alien. Close Encounters is quite a damn good score, but Alien is such a dynamic monster (no pun intended). It's the perfect music for the creature as well as the quickly dashed-to-bits romanticism of space travel. I just find that there's more that grabs me in Alien than Close Encounters. Don't get me wrong, the finale is one of the best things I've ever heard but much of the material before that is, as they say, "tension music" which doesn't grab me all that much. It's as interesting as it isn't.

Eeesh. I'm tempted to vote Alien, but that would be more because I've been listening to the Intrada set often since I got it. However, I haven't listened to CE3K (or seen the film) in many MANY years.... I don't think I can vote till I listen to CE3K again.

I always thougt "barnstorming" is when they made flying tricks with the saucers. Not sure.

Great cue anyway.

I always put it down to the clip of dialogue Neary catches on his car radio earlier in the film where one of the UFO witnesses can be heard to say "It's shaped like a barn".

I don't get those avid Goldsmith fans. It's almost like they prefer music that has no identity. I can play the music of Alien over Saw VI and it will fit the film as a glove. If I put the music of CE3K (or Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, E.T, et cetera) on Saw VI, everyone will notice that I'm reusing music from another movie.

"Alien" is one of the best scores that Jerry Goldsmith has ever composed, and I am indebted to Intrada for allowing his fans to hear the complete version. "C.E.3.K.", on the other hand, is, quite simply, my favourite John Williams score EVER, so...

I can't speak for anyone else, and this is a purely arbitrary thing, but I simply prefer to listen "C.E.3.K." over "Alien". This does not denegrate "Alien" in any way whatsoever, it is simply a personal choice. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the music of Jerry Goldsmith, and have approximately 70 c.d.s of his scores in my collection (in fact, on this site, I recently rated "Total Recall" over "Minority Report") but I love the the music of John Williams even more... Nuff said.