Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

I guess Nolan's extreme fetishism for realism never really worked for me. It's a valid approach for something like Batman. But high concept sci-fi or fantasy like Interstellar or Inception? No I want something with a big more texture and imagination.

This is another post that I'm pretty sure you've made, word for word, before.

It's an entertaining film, much better in that respect than previous two. But I wish there was a bit more verisimilitude to it. You know, real locations and sets. It's too... prequelish.

Karol

Bingo. You could see high production values in LOTR in the sense that it seemed like a real collage of massive sets, miniature creations and visual effects.

BotFA seems so lacking in that regard, like the designers just conceived most of it in a computer. And frankly that's a bit boring and "cheap". But this is just what I assume, I have to still see it.

One thing you have to give Nolan credit for, is that he uses CGI only as a last resort. Not saying PJ shouldn't CGI (it's necessary for these films), but he could have done a lot more practically to ground the film more, and make it more respectable in terms of production values. In that sense, it does look "cheap".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

This film will be officially released into theaters in both 70mm-IMAX prints and digital screens this September 27, 2024 for the film's 10th anniversary.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...lease-fall-2024-christopher-nolan-1235967907/

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Sets Imax 70mm Re-Release for 10th Anniversary This Fall

By Brent Lang

Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” will be re-released in theaters in honor of the sci-fi epic’s 10th anniversary. The film, which earned an impressive $731 million globally when it debuted in 2014, stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and Matt Damon and is set in a dystopian future in which a group of astronauts must travel to the far reaches of space to find a new planet for humankind to colonize.

Paramount Pictures announced the re-release during its presentation to theater owners and executives at CinemaCon, the exhibition industry conference taking place this week in Las Vegas. “Interstellar” will fly back into theaters on Sept. 27, 2024. It will be shown in 70mm Imax prints (Nolan’s preferred format), as well as on digital screens. Warner Bros., which co-produced the movie, will work in coordination with Paramount on the revival.

Nolan recently won best director at this year’s Oscars for “Oppenheimer,” his blockbuster look at the development of the atomic bomb, which also earned best picture. The historical epic earned nearly $1 billion, making it one of the biggest hits of 2023. Nolan’s brainy action adventure “Tenet” also recently got re-released in theaters. The director is one of Hollywood’s most successful filmmakers, having also made “The Dark Knight,” “Inception” and “The Prestige.”

Nolan shot “Interstellar” with a combination of 35mm anamorphic film and 65mm Imax. The picture was released in film formats, which was a herculean task at the time as many theaters had switched over to digital projectors. Nolan has continued to be a champion for film, as well as for Imax. He urged moviegoers to see the movie in 70mm Imax, which led to weeks of sold-out showings.

I'm so excited. Didn't see this film until last year and I absolutely loved it. It emphasizes all my favorite things about Nolan's films and minimizes all my least favorite things about them. I will definitely jump at the chance to see it in IMAX.