Which are your Top 10 Indiana Jones tracks?

Josh500

So tonight I got stood up by a date, and I got nothing better to do! Which are your top 10 Indiana Jones tracks (or cues) from all 4 movies? And don't be fooled, there are so many outstanding cues (especially from the first 3 movies), it's a very tough list to make. And maybe this will make you listen to these soundtracks more often again, if you hadn't listened to them for a while... ;)

I start:

1. Indy's Very First Adventure (for me, the most enjoyable IJ track; it never gets old)

2. Belly of the Steel Beast/On the Tank (best IJ action piece)

3. The Boat Scene (love everything about it: from the Portuguese-sounding theme for the cross, mixed with heavy action sea music, the Raiders March B-section when Indy gets heroic, and at the very end how JW is able to flawlessly and effortlessly transition from a dark stormy night on the sea to a sunny and peaceful afternoon on an American college campus)

4. Map/Out of Fuel (very underrated: I especially love how JW scores Indy and Willie's argument on the plane - so mockingly dramatic - and then the Raiders March followed by the love theme)

5. In the Jungle (very underrated: so wonderfully ominous and adventurous, puts us right in the middle of the adventure, although the movie only started!)

6. The Map Room: Dawn (an instant classic)

7. Fast Streets of Shanghai (great Chinese-sounding comical action piece, perfect for this comical action sequence)

8. Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra (no comment necessary)

9. Indy Negotiates (the "opening" music of all three original IJ movies are exceptional, and this is no exception - I am not counting the song here, though that is great too; on the screen, the characters are basically just talking, but JW musically catches every nuance, every action, every shift in atmosphere)

10. A Thought For Marion/To Nepal (I love the motifs that start at 00:48 and at 1:02; I can't really describe them, but they are perfect for this scene; is "anticipatory" a good way to describe this cue?)

Honorable Mentions: Desert Chase, The Mine Cart Chase, The German Sub/To the Hideout, The Jungle Chase, and A Whirl Through Academe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew...this is tough.

1. The Map Room: Dawn (one of JW's all time greatest)

2. The Miracle of the Ark

3. Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra

4. Desert Chase

5. Anything Goes

6. Indy's Very First Adventure

7. The Scroll/To Pankot Palace

8. Flight from Peru

9. Ants!

10. Escape from Venice

Honorable mentions: "On the Tank," "Bug Tunnel/Death Trap," "Basket Game," "Alarm!," "In The Jungle," "Jungle Chase," "To Cairo"

9. Ants!

Didn't know you - or anybody, for that matter - had such a high opinion of this track (it's good, but this good as to earn a spot in the Top 10?)! ;)

I have to listen to this again...

1. Um, The Raiders March?

2. Miracle of the Ark

3. Short Round Helps

4. Indy's Very First Adventure

5. Bug Tunnel/Death Trap

6. Desert Chase

7. The Idol's Temple

8. The German Sub/Ride To The Nazi Hideout

9. Call of the Crystal

10. Approaching the Stones

A spontanious and quick list from me:

1. Raiders March

2. Map Room: Dawn

3. Parade of the Slave Children

4. Desert Chase

5. Indy's First Adventure

6. Last Crusade: End Credits

7. Belly of the Steel Beast

8. In the Jungle

9. Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra

10. Anything Goes <--- intro of which is the best of Williams' career.

Well, I have considered including Raiders March in my list, but the truth is, I might have listened to it (the concert version) once too often. I think these days I prefer the theme as heard in the actual cues, with slightly different orchestrations (like in Map/Out of Fuel, or The Boat Scene).

Actually, for me, it's the same with Theme from Schindler's List.

Kudos to Cole Porter, then! ;)

9. Ants!

Didn't know you - or anybody, for that matter - had such a high opinion of this track (it's good, but this good as to earn a spot in the Top 10?)! ;)

I have to listen to this again...

I just love this cue. Although one of the central motifs was derived from "Letter Bombs" in Munich, other than this superficial similarity the cue is a wonderfully new exploration of JW's modern fascination with rhythm. The implementation of the Russians' Theme is camouflaged to fit the cue so well, that I didn't realize it was a variation until a week or two after listening to the OST. Overall it's one of the rawest, most intense action cues of JW's career.

No. The track starts with an original piece by Williams titled "High Life In Hong Kong" before moving on "Anything Goes"

For a start, I love the comedic Basket Game, as it has loads of very clever musical moments. ;)

Really, there are just too many in it to list with time points. Plenty of fat brass, contrasting with the delicate tip toe stuff.

And in

, 2:21-2:28 that moment is just FULL of 'Eastern Promise" :)

Escape from Peru, well from 1:19 onwards it's just all there. It's just ALL THERE. :D

In

, from 1:26 on that scoring is very clever and evocative.

Considering I'm still only on Raiders here. If I start on the others, I'd be here all night ;)

No. The track starts with an original piece by Williams titled "High Life In Hong Kong" before moving on "Anything Goes"

Plus JW's ace arrangement makes the whole thing pure magic.

1. End Credits - Raiders

2. Desert Chase

3. Map Room:Dawn

4. Parade of the Slave Children

5. Short Round's Theme

6. Short Round Helps

7. Indy's First Adventure

8. On The Tank

9. Miracle Of The Ark

10. Belly Of The Steel Beast

Oh, he meant the few seconds of music that is heard when the close-up of the gong is shown? OK, didn't think of that.

So you think this was the best of Williams's career too? ;):D

Really, there are just too many clever little moments and variety in it, to list them all.

Not all of them. Just the very, very best of them (IYO). The crème de la crème, in other words.

Yes, that's true.

Williams clearly didn't do well in Geography, as Shanghai isn't in Hong Kong.

Williams clearly didn't do well in Geography, as Shanghai isn't in Hong Kong.

Is that an official title, given by JW? I thought this was a track named by one of the fans?!

I agree, it almost feels like "The Raiders March" is overqualified, for lack of a better word.

My Top Ten, in no particular order... and yes it was very difficult, I adjusted it several times...

The Map Room: Dawn

Desert Chase

Marion's Theme

The Miracle of the Ark

Slalom on Mt Humol

Bug Tunnel/Death Trap

The Mine Car Chase

On the Tank/Belly of the Steel Beast (OK, so I cheated and picked two here, but I figure if they could combine them in the film, so can I!)

The Jungle Chase

Finale (KOTCS) (possibly mainly because I enjoy JW's development of Marion's Theme)

Honorable Mentions: Anything Goes, Fist Fight/Flying Wing, Broken Bridge/British Relief, Journey to Austria (I know it's short, but I really like it!), A Whirl Through Academe, Nightclub Brawl

Considering I'm still only on Raiders here. If I start on the others, I'd be here all night ;)

;)

On the Tank/Belly of the Steel Beast (OK, so I cheated and picked two here, but I figure if they could combine them in the

Yes, I consider this to be one big action cue/track.

The only reason they split it up is because in the OS of LC, they shortened it.

Oh, he meant the few seconds of music that is heard when the close-up of the gong is shown? OK, didn't think of that.

Few seconds? Its 40 seconds long!

Is that an official title, given by JW? I thought this was a track named by one of the fans?!

Where have you been?

http://www.indianajonesmusic.com/2008/11/indiana-jones-and-temple-of-doom-1984.html

Those are all Williams' original cue titles

1. Short Round Helps

2. Desert Chase

3. The Scroll/To Pankot Palace

4. Slave Children's Crusade

5. Short Round's Theme

6. The Miracle of the Ark

7. The Penitent Man Will Pass

8. Ride to the Nazi Hideout

9. Approaching the Stones

10. The Boat Scene

Where have you been?

http://www.indianajonesmusic.com/2008/11/indiana-jones-and-temple-of-doom-1984.html

Those are all Williams' original cue titles

Well, I enjoy the music very much, but I am not an expert in these matters! ;)

But Hong Kong sure sounds nicer than "High Life in China"!

Played out though it is, the Indy theme itself is the definitive and best thing about the scores. It's wrong to suggest otherwise by completely ommiting it.

Think about it: if Williams today released something half as good as The Raiders March, this place would suddenly be buzzing with life and gleeful enthusiasm. Don't be so quick to forget the impact and legacy of the real greats of JW's catalogue, because we wouldn't be typing here without them.

By the way...still not gonna try, but I know "The Map Room: Dawn" ("Discovering the Script") and/or "The Miracle of the Ark" would be on there. Probably "Out of Fuel", probably "The Walls Come Down"...definitely "The Rolling Ball"...almost certainly "The Boat Chase"...

Like I said, though, it's a toughie. I'm glad I don't have to choose. ;)

Kudos to Cole Porter, then! :P

I thought Alexander Courage arranged the version in ToD?

Few seconds? Its 40 seconds long!

So I take it JW wrote the choir stuff also? That's cool, I thought that was part of the song.

Played out though it is, the Indy theme itself is the definitive and best thing about the scores. It's wrong to suggest otherwise by completely ommiting it.

Think about it: if Williams today released something half as good as The Raiders March, this place would suddenly be buzzing with life and gleeful enthusiasm. Don't be so quick to forget the impact and legacy of the real greats of JW's catalogue, because we wouldn't be typing here without them.

I'd say that of the Williams themes of the last decade, Double Trouble, Catch Me If You Can, Viktor and Amelia, Fawkes' Theme, Blue Fairy's Theme, Monica's Theme, and Hedwig's Theme are all at least within the same league as Raiders March. Some are even better.

I'd say that of the Williams themes of the last decade, Double Trouble, Catch Me If You Can, Viktor and Amelia, Fawkes' Theme, Blue Fairy's Theme, Monica's Theme, and Hedwig's Theme are all at least within the same league as Raiders March. Some are even better.

:P

Maybe, just maybe Hedwig's theme is close, certainly not better.

Hedwig's theme is easily on par with the Raiders March, IMO. I wouldn't call it better, but it's a match in terms of appropriateness to the film, orchestrational mastery, uniqueness, popularity with audiences, and just sheer fun. And I'd argue that in some ways, Hedwig's theme has a better concert suite.

I agree that Raiders March is better than Hedwig's Theme. But I stand by what I said before, that some of the other listed ones are better than Raiders March.

This was very difficult:

1) End Credits (Last Crusade) - this is my all-time favorite IJ track. It has my favorite renditions of all my favorite themes (Raider's March, Scherzo, Father/Son theme, Knight's theme, etc.)

2) Indy's Very First Adventure <3

3) Flight from Peru - I think they use a portion of this track at the end of the ride at Disneyland, so I have positive subliminal associations when I hear it.

4) The Map Room: Dawn - very eerie to hear this theme so understated.

5) Marion's Theme (I especially like the way it's used in KotCS)

6) Short Round's Theme

7) Slave Children's Crusade

8) Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (only this far down the list because it's also in the End Credits at #1)

9) The Penitent Man will Pass

10) No Ticket

I'm so sick of the over saturated Indy scores, I've chosen to not put those on my mp3 player, I just can't stand to hear the Raiders march anytime soon.

so I will go with one

1. Parade of the Slave Children, nothing else.

Hedwig's theme is easily on par with the Raiders March, IMO. I wouldn't call it better, but it's a match in terms of appropriateness to the film, orchestrational mastery, uniqueness, popularity with audiences, and just sheer fun.

I agree.

For me, choosing between Hedwig's Theme and Raider's March is like Sophie's Choice. They are so different in style, genre, purpose, etc. that I don't think you have to choose one. Both are masterfully written; both are instantly recognizable by the general population; both are entertaining and evoke the desired emotional response. In that way, I think they can be grouped with Star Wars Main Title, Imperial March, E.T. Flying Theme, Jaws Theme, and maybe Somewhere in My Memory and the Theme from Jurassic Park as some of John's greatest successes. (Maybe the main themes from Hook and Superman would qualify, too.)

I'm so sick of the over saturated Indy scores, I've chosen to not put those on my mp3 player, I just can't stand to hear the Raiders march anytime soon.

so I will go with one

Boo.

Hedwig's theme is easily on par with the Raiders March, IMO. I wouldn't call it better, but it's a match in terms of appropriateness to the film, orchestrational mastery, uniqueness, popularity with audiences, and just sheer fun.

I agree.

For me, choosing between Hedwig's Theme and Raider's March is like Sophie's Choice. They are so different in style, genre, purpose, etc. that I don't think you have to choose one. Both are masterfully written; both are instantly recognizable by the general population; both are entertaining and evoke the desired emotional response. In that way, I think they can be grouped with Star Wars Main Title, Imperial March, E.T. Flying Theme, Jaws Theme, and maybe Somewhere in My Memory and the Theme from Jurassic Park as some of John's greatest successes. (Maybe the main themes from Hook and Superman would qualify, too.)

so I will go with one

Boo.

You'll have to forgive me but as the oldest member I've probably heard it more than most here and it's worn out on me for now.

I have zero, I just think Parade of the Slave Children is a top 5 JW track. but it's indy related and thus banned on my mp3 player, I'd rather listen to Donna Summer.

1. Return to the Village / Temple of Doom End Credits - Positively rousing. The Short Round/Raiders March interpolation is fantastic. The transitions between the March, the Slave Children, Short Rounds Theme/ Willie's theme/ and back to the March are perfect. Perhaps my favorite Williams end credits ever.

2. The German Sub/Ride to the Nazi Hideout - This is THE best statement of the Raiders March, and perhaps the most (sorry to use the word twice) ROUSING piece of film music ever committed to tape. Every time I hear it, some part of me begins tapping and my pulse quickens. Like a shot of adrenaline. I could never ever tire of this track.

3. Desert Chase - Do I really need to explain this choice? Probably not. But the shift from spirited high adventure to the quickening ostinato to suggest the danger of Indy's predicament on the truck. So, so perfect. And good lord how awesome is it when Indy bursts out of the tent on the horse and every Arab on the road stands to his feet? The audience in the theater was off their seats too.

4. To Nepal - Best travel music ever. Love the subtle tolling bell chimes when we first see the plane at the port. Great statement of danger music when the Nazi on the plane is revealed. Whenever I fly, I think of this cue, in the same way I think of the shark motif when I go swimming.

5. Slave Children's Crusade - The film version is great, along with Short Round Helps. The concert arrangement is stunning. This theme is so old school, so epic. It just whirls with exotic adventure.

6. The Medallion - When Raiders is cited as an efficient score without any wasted notes, this cue comes to mind. Now THIS is underscore. The drama that slowly burns throughout this cue is just so engaging. Is it "mickey mousing" when the Marion blows smoke into Toht's face? Who cares? It's perfect.

7. The Basket Chase - I'm not sure how many composers could strike the balance between comedic fun and deadly danger, but JW pulls it off. An action scene that plays like a dance.

8. Belly of the Steel Beast/On the Tank - It's no Desert Chase, but it'll do. And it gets a mandatory mention as the highlight of TLC.

9. KOTC End Credits - You really get the best parts of the score here, especially for the music for the Russians. The modifications to the Raiders March gave me goosebumps when I first heard it. What a perfect way to keep the Raiders March from getting crusty.

10. The Map Room - Dawn - Spooky, eerie, romantic. The reason we care about the McGuffin.

I thought Alexander Courage arranged the version in ToD?

[...]

So I take it JW wrote the choir stuff also? That's cool, I thought that was part of the song.

0:00-0:39 = 1m1 "High Life In Shanghai", written by John Williams, orchestrated by Herb Spencer

0:39-1:30 = 1m2 "Anything Goes", written by Cole Porter, arranged by John Williams, orchestrated by Herb Spencer

1:30-end = 1m2a "Anything Goes - Part II", written by Cole Porter, arranged by John Williams, orchestrated by Herb Spencer

1m3 "Anything Playoff", written by Cole Porter, arranged by John Williams, orchestrated by Alexander Courage

1m6 "Once In A Vial", written by John Williams, orchestrated by Alexander Courage

1m6a "Once In A Vial (Dance Orchestra)", written by Cole Porter, arranged by John Williams, orchestrated by Alexander Courage

6. The Medallion - When Raiders is cited as an efficient score without any wasted notes, this cue comes to mind. Now THIS is underscore. The drama that slowly burns throughout this cue is just so engaging. Is it "mickey mousing" when the Marion blows smoke into Toht's face? Who cares? It's perfect.

The Ark theme when the wind blows the candle out is amazing, also that secondary theme that is occasionally reprised, most awesomely when the Ark is killing everyone. I also love the suspense at the end when she's threatened with the poker and that rousing climax for Indy's rescue. You want it to keep going. It's definitely a major highlight of JW's career.

The first 35 seconds of The Map Room is some of JW's greatest work ever, for whatever reason. Indiana Jones lowering himself into the map room with the Ark theme. I've loved that since I first saw ROTLA on VHS. I think a part of the reason is that the beginning of the scene is an instance where you hear only the music. There are no other sounds or dialogue. It's just Williams magically telling this story as Indy lowers himself into a chamber, God knows what awaiting him. It's mysterious, alluring, sexy. It's everything that film music is without these days.

1) "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra"

2) "Return to the Village/Temple of Doom End Credits"

3) "The Map Room: Dawn"

4) "Indy's Very First Adventure"

5) "Parade of the Slave Children"

6) "Belly of the Steel Beast/On the Tank"

7) "Desert Chase"

8) "Short Round Helps"

9) "Wrong Choice, Right Choice"

10) "Broken Bridge/British Relief"

That was ridiculous.

1. Return to the Village / Temple of Doom End Credits - Positively rousing. The Short Round/Raiders March interpolation is fantastic. The transitions between the March, the Slave Children, Short Rounds Theme/ Willie's theme/ and back to the March are perfect. Perhaps my favorite Williams end credits ever.

2. The German Sub/Ride to the Nazi Hideout - This is THE best statement of the Raiders March, and perhaps the most (sorry to use the word twice) ROUSING piece of film music ever committed to tape. Every time I hear it, some part of me begins tapping and my pulse quickens. Like a shot of adrenaline. I could never ever tire of this track.

3. Desert Chase - Do I really need to explain this choice? Probably not. But the shift from spirited high adventure to the quickening ostinato to suggest the danger of Indy's predicament on the truck. So, so perfect. And good lord how awesome is it when Indy bursts out of the tent on the horse and every Arab on the road stands to his feet? The audience in the theater was off their seats too.

4. To Nepal - Best travel music ever. Love the subtle tolling bell chimes when we first see the plane at the port. Great statement of danger music when the Nazi on the plane is revealed. Whenever I fly, I think of this cue, in the same way I think of the shark motif when I go swimming.

5. Slave Children's Crusade - The film version is great, along with Short Round Helps. The concert arrangement is stunning. This theme is so old school, so epic. It just whirls with exotic adventure.

7. The Basket Chase - I'm not sure how many composers could strike the balance between comedic fun and deadly danger, but JW pulls it off. An action scene that plays like a dance.

8. Belly of the Steel Beast/On the Tank - It's no Desert Chase, but it'll do. And it gets a mandatory mention as the highlight of TLC.

9. KOTC End Credits - You really get the best parts of the score here, especially for the music for the Russians. The modifications to the Raiders March gave me goosebumps when I first heard it. What a perfect way to keep the Raiders March from getting crusty.

10. The Map Room - Dawn - Spooky, eerie, romantic. The reason we care about the McGuffin.

Great list, thanks! I agree with everything you said. :cool:

Regarding "To Nepal," yes, that's what I was talking about! The "subtle tolling bell chimes," as you called it, is perfect, of course, but I was wondering what JW was trying to exactly express here. I am thinking an atmosphere of "a big journey that is about to begin"...

What do you think?

I almost feel the same way; but I suspect you still have immense respect and reverence for the impact and legacy of a score like Raiders, played to death though it is.

One never tires of the Raiders March. I just don't play it every day, that way it stays as fresh as it did in 1981.

1: Desert Chase - i just love the buildup to the raiders march appearance at the end and then the mysterious-ish slowdown of it at the end (which is when when indy feels his shoulder and it shows the ark in its box) almost filling you with unease

2: Chase Through Shanghai - i like the appearance of short rounds theme at the beggining and the version of the raiders march at the end (and how the cue ends sort of like desert chase to give the feeling that something isnt right)

3: The Broken Bridge - i love the choir in the middle (?) of the track and then the fanfare at the end

4: Approaching The Stones - reminds me of Anakins Dark Deeds, i also like the appearance of the slave children theme

5: Belly of The Steel Beast/Tank Fight- almost reminds me of a 1980's-90's rock song in a way

6: The Jungle Chase - i love the unreleased portion which includes a piece of indy's theme that almost seems to be building up to a heroic version similar to desert chase

7: Escape from Peru - everything about the cue is exciting

8: Escaping The Pit I (the unreleased one which is the first one with the name on GM's Complete score) - I love the buildup it has

9: Escaping The Pit II A.K.A Indy Rides The Statue - reminds me of [repeated] attempts to climb a rope

10: Crusade of The Slave Children

and now here are 10 honourable mentions

1: The Flying Wing A.K.A Pffist Fight - just the up and down-ness of it all

2: The Sword Trick The Refrence to The Basket Chase is AWESOME!

3: The Basket Chase - very witty writing here

4: Short Round Helps - i like the peril-filled version of Shorty's Theme and the epic version of Indy's Theme

5: Short Round Escapes - the slow buildup to Shorty's Theme is just amazing!

6: The Raiders March and End Credits- i love the way the themes are presented here

7: In The Cave - i love the small explosion of strings at the beggining and the ending piece

8: The Rolling Ball - i love the piece that comes in at 1:00

9: The Floor That Moves

10: Discovering The Script

and one small one : End Credits Part III (its from GM's Complete Score)

5: Short Round Escapes - the slow buildup to Shorty's Theme is just amazing!

Yes, one of my favorite "minor" cues. Amazing this new motif, then SR's theme, followed by the Slave Children's theme...

I love the short trumpet solo at 1:48.

I remember when I was just starting and my collection was small, but I had all three (then) Indys, I did get burnt out on them for a while. Never happened again, though.

For a while I was just irritated with my old TOD and LC CDs. Because they were missing way too much music. The box set helped.

I wasn't exactly irritated, but I didn't realize how good LC was until I rewatched the movie on DVD and then got the box set.

Just listening to the OS album of LC, you'd think it's a mediocre JW effort, and that couldn't be farther from the truth.