Hlao-roo

I have no idea how they can explain that Deckard, a replicant, has aged 30 years and hasn't reached the end of his life-span.

Perhaps that he's a "Nexus-7", with human emotions but an infinite life-span. If so, why would he had got beaten by an inferior Nexus-6, Roy, who pitied him and kept him alive?

Ryan Gosling will star in Blade Runner 2 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articles/34848505

Any interest I had has just taken a bit of a beating.

It could have been worse. They could have Jai Courtney'd the main role.

(Ryan Gosling) One of the more punchable actors workings today

I'm already tired of Matthew. Punch him!

They should punch each other and make us all happy!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone!

@TGP: It's mainly Scarbee's Fender Rhodes (called R.S.P. '73 for Kontakt) through a chorus, a free chimes randomizer instrument (for Kontakt) called 'Glisten' and a synthetic choir sampled from a Roland VP 330 (also Kontakt).

Alex

My younger cousin, who I've mentioned is an excellent composer in his own right, came up with a pretty cracking track after we discussed this film a few weeks ago.  I'll have to convince him to let me share it.  And also to join up here himself/be more present over at vi-control rather than having me as the only advocate of his stuff... kids!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It traditionally has been!

Clearly they are trying to counter-program that by having something fresh and original in theaters among all the leftover crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets an early opening in NY & LA in late December 2017 to qualify for Oscars and all the other awards, though.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

January release? I thought that month was the dumping ground for failed productions

American Sniper pretty much defied that notion last year. And with Deadpool doing even better than X-Men -- in February, no less -- that rival studios are encouraged to try winter releases for R-rated sequels/spinoffs/et al.

It's not surprising at all.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

This way they avoid competing with the real blockbusters.

Not sure what you mean by "real blockbusters", Alex. When "BR" was released, it had cost $28,000,000, opened at the height of the Summer, and was given showcase  70mm/6-track magnetic stereo screenings. It doesn't get more "real blockbuster" than that.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No. Blade Runner was never really the blockbuster the studio probably wanted it to be.

Thankfully

Provided Villeneuve delivers a decent film, buzz is good and WB markets it well -- it could be a box office hit. The date won't really matter at that point.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A blockbuster film isn't quite the same things as a box office hit.

Isn't that literally the definition of a blockbuster?

Blockbusters aren't always box office hits anymore but they started out that way. There were big box office hits that were called blockbusters based on ticket sales before Jaws but that became the first modern blockbuster of a new meaning. Hugely popular movies that people saw multiple times and talked a lot about. The summer tent poles, fast and exciting. Besides making a lot of money, they become cultural icons. Blockbusters became a genre in and of themselves. 

But now the studios try to create blockbusters and inflate the hype by spending a fortune on merchandise and advertising. What if the movie tanks or doesn't make what it's expected to? Is it still a blockbuster? Independence Day was a blockbuster, but two years or so later, the same team gave us Godzilla. Blockbuster and box office disaster. 

7 hours ago, Matt C said:

Provided Villeneuve delivers a decent film, buzz is good and WB markets it well -- it could be a box office hit. The date won't really matter at that point.

It doesn't have to be decent. If you make a stupid movie a la Armageddon, people will see it too.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's semantics.  I'd say in your Godzilla example they were AIMING for a blockbuster but didn't get one.

That's what I said with inflating the hype. The studio overhyped the picture. It happens. It's just funny when they intend a steaming pile to be a blockbuster. 

I'll take stupid but fun Armageddon over realistic but dull Deep Impact any day. 

I don't know, isn't that what people say? Armageddon is more science fiction with its twin shuttles and far our asteroid landscape and, I dunno, drilling on an asteroid, while Derp Impact shows more realistic space flight and global catastrophe from the impacts and a less happy ending. I'm afraid I only saw it once or twice and didn't care for it.

Though at the time, a brother as the president was also science fiction. Progress...