Do you still think Williams involvement improved LLL's Hook release?

Luke Skywalker

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still think Williams involvement improved LLL's Hook release?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

The composer writes the music knowing the themes will develop in a certain order when used in the film.

Most fans therefore enjoy listening to the music outside of the film in the same order

Yeah. After watching it too often.

Listening to a film score in chronological doesn't mean strictly that the listener is a dumbass that wants just to relive the filmic experience. It's true that sometimes one can have a close bond with a certain film, but it's also true that we can also appreciate the musical narrative per se without thinking about the film itself. If I listen to Star Wars in complete form and chronological order doesn't automatically mean that I want to go back to the film experience. I'm appreciating just the musical construct. Take Hook as example: when listened in chronological order one can appreciate its own beautiful musical narrative, which plays very much like a Prokofiev ballet or a Ravel symphonic tableaux. Also, you can appreciate how Williams weaved in and developed his own themes, motifs and colors all throughout. Sure, this can't be applied to ALL film scores, we can't be such integralists. But in the case of huge, cleverly-developed film scores like Hook, Star Wars, Superman or many others I find an immense pleasure diving into a 2-hours plus musical narrative.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this edition is 90% in chronological order. And all the bits that aren't, work extremely well from a musical standpoint. It really is the best of both worlds, it's a great assembly

Sure, it's a good compromise. The OST edits of several track works pretty well. The only thing I would have done differently is putting back "Follow That Shadow" into the "Remembering Childhood" sequence.

Listening to a film score in chronological doesn't mean strictly that the listener is a dumbass that wants just to relive the filmic experience.

Maurizio, with all due respect, this most often isn't about 'chronological' but about an often obsessive need to get a slavish repeat of the film's sound track up to second-long snippets which don't even have thematic material- if that's not the sign of a religious devotion to certain movies, i don't know what is. And 99% of the movies out there aren't ESB-type leitmotif scores, so most of the time, i fully understand composers who only loosely follow the film's pattern.

Which doesn't mean that i'm happy with every Williams release, just that most of the time the outraged complaints are rather harebrained.

Sure! I'm not as obsessive as other people about these things. I can accept a good "best listening experience" (whatever that means) compromise. In the end, it all depends on the score we're talking about. I care about the music. Some scores are a joy to be experienced in one format, while I can get the most from others when listened in re-arranged/reduced form.

No matter the opinion, Hook is the kind of score that absolutely needs to be present C&C. With some much thematic material and setpieces it can't be anything than that.

Karol

Yeah, but i suspect you listen to it one or two times in this format, the rest of the time it's in itunes etc. anyway (where you can arrange it to your liking). At least there's no need to change the CD and you can edit all the contrivances like the film end title and stuff like this. No album producer ever could make this bonanza of different versions work.

imo, john williams can assemble his OSTs the way the prefers as listening experience... i even may enjoy that and how he does it, but his complete scores should be c&c.

imo, john williams can assemble his OSTs the way the prefers as listening experience... i even may enjoy that and how he does it, but his complete scores should be c&c.

Yep, but I feel that way about ANY composer

Yep, but I feel that way about ANY composer

giacchino does it mostly right when the score is short (and is not working for disney) :)

the family stone, land of the lost, monte carlo, secret weapons of over normandy, all MOH scores (except airborne..)...

MOH Airborne is a great album. Not complete but a very good listening experience in my opinion.

aaaaaaaand? the complete version is superior :P

Well it is but the OST is pretty fine on its own. :)

All Giacchino OSTs are great presentations that cover all the highlights, with the exception of Star Trek

All Giacchino OSTs are great presentations that cover all the highlights, with the exception of Star Trek

heh i think the trek album was a nice listening experience.

i prefer the complete score though.