Indiana Jones Blu Ray

dylan345

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum and am a huge John Williams fan! I don't know if this has been discussed before but I had recently purchased the Indiana Jones blu ray box set and the second I played ROTLA I noticed a HUGE difference in sound quality compared to the soundtrack release. The music is just overall mixed better and sounds as though its been remastered in places and isn't dialed out or played as quietly as it was in the VHS release. I wonder if there is an isolated score track on the blu ray because it would be interesting to hear that.

No, unfortunately there isn't. I think both expanded editions, the one from DCC records and the one from Concorde, already sound great. The former is a direct transfer from the session tapes, but the choir in "The Map Room: Dawn" is mixed very low and it doesn't contain the complete score The latter is (to my ears) mastered too bright, as if they did that on purpose to attract more customers.

You could make a personal edit combining the two.

If I recall it correctly, the mix for the Concord is from John Neal and the mix you hear in the film is the same on the DCC and it is mixed by Eric Tomlinson. As far as I know, John Williams approved the mix from Tomlinson - for the Star Wars Trilogy, but I don't know if he approved it for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Williams and Tomlinson had a good relationship, maybe his prefered mix is from the film.

Otherwise the original Polydor has the mix from John Neal and Williams approved it, too.

The DCC is the one to get just for the complete Desert Chase.

The Concorde is the one to get for all the rest. You'll have to combine them and put he DCC Desert Chase into the Concorde programme.

Which section of Desert Chase is Concord missing? I noticed the track time discrepancy when I picked up the Concord set, but never bothered to compare it with my DCC Raiders.

Are there are other differences (aside from the additional material on the Concord)?

the original soundtrack version of Desert Chase is superior to me.it was ingrained into my dna before the dcc version was released.

the other versions sound wrong once you're used to the original.

The only release I have is the Concorde and In the Jungle seems to be mixed incorrectly as its always sounded odd to me, but in the movie the woodwind parts all sounded correct! Perhaps I need to find this DCC release to listen to the desert chase, the desert chase in the movie definitely didn't sound much better than the concord release.

Film mixes typically sound better. Just listen to Empire Strikes Back in the film mix and compare it to the 2-disc set. The actual soundtrack sounds like a bootleg compared to the film mix.

Every release of Raiders sounds different. It's possible the film mix sounds better on the Blu-ray because of the high-def audio and/or modern mastering?

the original soundtrack version of Desert Chase is superior to me.it was ingrained into my dna before the dcc version was released.

I'm used to the DCC version, so any shorter versions sound wrong.

I grew up with the original, you did not. for me it's a case of longer is not better.

Film mixes typically sound better. Just listen to Empire Strikes Back in the film mix and compare it to the 2-disc set. The actual soundtrack sounds like a bootleg compared to the film mix.

The film mixes for the Star Wars scores, that's how I feel about the mixes especially for the Star Wars Prequels. I actually prefer the mixes the game material uses for The Phantom Menace compared to the ones used in the "Ultimate Edition". I also prefer the ones used in the games for ROTS as well.

I grew up with the original, you did not. for me it's a case of longer is not better.

I grew up with the longer version as it was in the movie. I bought the original LP in 2005 and was disappointed the track was missing the really good bits. I bought the DCC CD a few years later and the track was much better.

exactly Drax, I had the original record album in 1981. What Faleel calls a glaring edit, I say is exactly as it should be. The DCC was the glaring error.

it's also like listening the to the original Close Encounters. For years I had heard the Conversation untold amount of times and the new version with the too many notes was disturbing.

I am going to edit The Battle of Yavin, omitting the bit between the timpani bit, and the "Mars, Bringer of War" hits.

Because it will obviously be better.