Is Doctor Who better than Star Trek?

While Star Trek has pretty much always been my favorite franchise, I recently introduced myself to Doctor Who (2005-present) and was really impressed by it. It's undeniably a great TV show and it's easy to see why it's enjoyed not only by geeks, but a more general audience as well. Great characters and compelling stories. It's everything Star Trek has been without for over a decade. It's basically filled the void for all that...time.

Star Trek used to be better than Doctor Who, but when the Star Trek franchise took a shit and was reduced to JJ Abrams films from the writers of Transformers, Doctor Who became better than Star Trek.

I like "Doctor Who" just fine and have loved it on occasion; but if you compare the entirety of it with the entirety of "Star Trek," it's Trek by a mile, at least in my opinion.

"Doctor Who" IS pretty great, though. 

They both have their highs and lows. Some episodes of Nu-Who are better than a majority of TNG episodes, but stylistically the two shows are different. The Doctor is a singular hero, the crew of the Enterprise/Voyager/DS9 are a team working together to overcome conflicts with species they encounter.

So I would think the better question would be which is better 'This episode' or 'that episode'?

2 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Star Trek used to be better than Doctor Who, but when the Star Trek franchise took a shit and was reduced to JJ Abrams films from the writers of Transformers, Doctor Who became better than Star Trek.

Seems very reasonable. 

Which one is better? Difficult to say, since they're sort-of different beasts.

Doctor Who, and also Stargate for that matter, are certainly far more entertaining.

Star Trek, on the other hand, is more "interesting".

What is it that makes the difference for me?

Star Trek takes itself quite seriously, while those other two decidedly don't.

Stargate pokes fun of itself and other films/series often enough.

And Doctor Who is just sheer lunacy!

9 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I definitely see what you're saying.  Doctor Who is filling the more traditional role of science fiction, using allegory/metaphor to comment on our times and/or the human condition, whereas Star Trek is just standard-issue blockbuster fare now.  But I love both Doctor Who and old Trek.

Let's hold out hope for Star Trek Discovery!

Even if one supposes the Kelvinverse Trek movies are garbage, they're better than a great deal of the pre-Eccleston Doctor Who.  Very little in Trek even approaches being as bad as the worst of the Who episodes (especially of, say, the Sixth Doctor).

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wait, are we taking this seriously now?

Depends. You like Star Trek best, right? And Star Trek takes itself seriously.

Does that mean you also like taking this comparison seriously?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I see no reason to compare Trek and Who if Justin just means the post 2005 show

Either way, I don't think comparing worst to worst would be the best way to determine which is "better."

I saw a few seconds of Doctor Who on TV yesterday and it looks like it's filmed by the same crew who does EastEnders.