What are the best renditions of the "Slave Children" theme from Temple of Doom?

phbart

What are the best renditions of the "Slave Children" theme from Temple of Doom?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Choices 1-4 are the tracks where the theme is prominently played. Choices 5-9 are where the theme is only a few seconds long (but no less powerful anyway).

• Indy and the Villagers
    • Children in Chains
    • Slave Children's Crusade
    • End Credits
    • Short Round's Theme
    • Approaching the Stones
    • Short Round Escapes
    • The Broken Bridge
    • Return to the Village

I was listening to "Indy and the Villagers" just now. It's been a few years since I didn't give ToD a comprehensive listening, and that specific track just got into me. It was a weird experience that me realize what a powerful score ToD is. I don't have a favorite Indy score from the trilogy (yes, trilogy!), but I realized that the ToD score sort of "affects" me more than Raiders and LC. So I just thought about making this poll.

Unfortunately, I don't know the scores of Temple of doom and The Last Crusade very well... These are recent addings to my CD collection (OST and Concord boxset). All I can say is that I always loved the re-recording by the Boston Pops.  Some fans thinks this version is too slow, but I always found it perfect. 

You give me the idea to listen to the concord version of the score tomorrow!

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The finale of The Child Returns leading into Short Round's Theme (Fortune and Glory, kid).

You beat me to it! :lol: I love the pondering, somewhat staggered meter, as if the music is dwelling on what we're about to discover (just like Indy and Short Round in that scene). 

The "Broken Bridge" one is fantastic too, especially with the twiddly woodwind after the last note! But the one that's the most fun to play full blast through speakers is the end credits version, no doubt.

I've always loved the rendition of the main theme of Temple of Doom in "Slave Children's Crusade". In every soundtrack album I listen to, I always look for that one track that sums up the main musical ideas and the overall tone of the film, and I feel that "Slave Children's Crusade" does it quite well.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Is it another thread to promote bootlegs?

Oh please!  We are certainly allowed to discuss music that can be heard in a film, yet hasn't appeared on CD releases yet.  Give it a break!

If we discuss unreleased music, that's fine, as we do it all the time.

Discussing boots, is not fine. As Bes says:

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

That's bad!

...but what is a boot, if not a CD that contains unreleased music? 

It's a pickle, I'll give you that.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

If we discuss unreleased music, that's fine, as we do it all the time.

Discussing boots, is not fine.

Huh?  Since when?  There has never been a ban of discussing bootlegs on JWFan.

This whole conversation is silly anyway, considering there is no boot for Temple of Doom, as the recording sessions have never leaked.

As I said:

1 hour ago, Richard said:

It's a pickle.

To discuss, or not to discuss? To buy, or not to buy? Somehow, discussing boots is doing the people who created the music a disservice, and, personally, I'd rather not. There's not a single note of JW music that I do not want, but I accept that not all of his recorded music will ever be released (not legally, anyway). I can live with that.

Perhaps there should be a BOOTS thread, so people who wish to discuss illegal copies of music that has fallen into their hands by nefarious means, can do so?

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

@Richard, what kind of crusade are you on here, and why?

We're talking about the great statement of the Slave Children theme heard IN THE FILM just before the Short Round's Theme track begins.  Stop all this boot madness, nobody here is doing anything wrong and you and @Bespin are making people think that they are.

Even if people were talking about pressed bootleg CDs that have been sold for money in the past - which they are not, because, again, they are talking about music you can hear by just watching the film - There is no policy banning bootleg discussion on JWfan!

Enough!

19 hours ago, Holko said:

The finale of The Child Returns leading into Short Round's Theme (Fortune and Glory, kid).

This moment hints at the upcoming adventure somehow. I don't know how it was achieved, but every time I hear this, I'm looking forward to the following events. This rendition illustrates Indy's and Shorty's heroic determination to visit the palace and save the children! A similar effect like The Lost World theme.

Another allure of this rendition is that it is unreleased and therefore a forbidden fruit which promotes non-existent bootlegs.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

@Richard, what kind of crusade are you on here, and why?

We're talking about the great statement of the Slave Children theme heard IN THE FILM just before the Short Round's Theme track begins.  Stop all this boot madness, nobody here is doing anything wrong and you and @Bespin are making people think that they are.

Even if people were talking about pressed bootleg CDs that have been sold for money in the past - which they are not, because, again, they are talking about music you can hear by just watching the film - There is no policy banning bootleg discussion on JWfan!

Enough!

Thank you!

yeah, If your opposed to  bootlegs and leaked sessions go to FSM

we've always talked about them openly here .True JWfans get unreleased music by any means possible

Anyways I agree with many others, the short statement at the end of The Child Returns is awesome, such a great mood setter / setup for what's to come.  But the big rousing versions in the Slave Children's Crusade track and the End Credits are so much fun!