THUNDER ROAD - new La-La Land CD features Johnny Williams on Piano!

Jay

ThunderSHARE.jpg

THUNDER ROAD – THE FILM MUSIC OF JACK MARSHALL: 
LIMITED EDITION  LLLCD 1434
Music by Jack Marshall
Limited Edition of 1200 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

STARTS SHIPPING SEPT. 12

Thunder-Road-Web.jpg

Order at www.lalalandrecords.com , starting at 12noon (pst) on 9/12.

La-La Land Records and MGM proudly present renowned composer Jack Marshall’s (THE MUNSTERS, THE DEPUTY) original motion picture score from the 1958 cult classic THUNDER ROAD, starring Robert Mitchum, Gene Barry and Jacques Aubuchon, and directed by Arthur Ripley. Also featured are selections from additional Jack Marshall scores, TAKE A GIANT STEP (1959) and THE RABBIT TRAP (1959). A Grammy-nominated composer, Jack Marshall was also a brilliant guitarist, as well as a respected record producer. This exciting album assembly showcases his diverse talents – from the high-octane car action of THUNDER ROAD (with its famous ballad by Mitchum and Don Raye) to the personal human drama of TAKE A GIANT STEP and the lightheartedness of  THE RABBIT TRAP – the breadth of Marshall’s work reveals itself to the listener in dynamic fashion. Produced by Mike Matessino and Frank Marshall (producer/director and son of the composer), this special release of 1200 Units, meticulously restored by Matessino, features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jon Burlingame, a candid forward from Frank Marshall and a personal introductory note from Jack Marshall’s friend, composer John Williams, who performed as pianist on THUNDER ROAD in one of his early Hollywood session assignments. The rip-roaring art design is by Jim Titus.

NOTE: THUNDER ROAD and TAKE A GIANT STEP have been restored from the only surviving music elements, located in the composer’s personal archive. Anomalies resulting from the age of the tape sources have been addressed in every possible way, without compromising the integrity of the music, to preserve and present these scores to listeners. The “music and effects” tracks were provided by MGM and were utilized in order to include cues that were not present on the music elements. It was determined that sound effects were minimal enough that it was worthwhile to integrate them into the overall score presentation. Selections for THE RABBIT TRAP likewise came from the “music and effects” track, added so that we could represent all three projects that Jack Marshall scored for United Artists. The track list indicates where sound effects may be present.

TRACK LISTING:

THUNDER ROAD
1 Prologue + / Pursuit / Raider Patrol + / “The Ballad of Thunder Road” * 4:19 
2 Main Title (Alternate International Version) 1:31 
3 Luke 1:12 
4 Hill Billy Rock 2:30 
5 Moonshine Run / Gangster Chase 2:45 
6 A Warning :29 
7 Won’t You Come Home? + ** 1:17 
8 The Whippoorwill + ** 2:18 
9 Trapped 2:01 
10 Radio Music 1:51 
11 Luke and Francie 3:02 
12 Guitar Music + 1:39 
13 Luke and Robin + 1:06 
14 Robin Forgiven  :43 
15 The Old Mill 3:12 
16 More Guitar Music + 1:00 
17 The Road Block 1:20 
18 Cabin 3:49 
19 More Radio Music + 2:40 
20 The Whippoorwill (Reprise) + ** 2:31 
21 Lucky Chase / The Last Chase 2:40 
22 The Whippoorwill – Finale + ** 1:37 
23 Pursuit (discrete version) 1:17 
24 The Whippoorwill – Finale (Vocal and Guitar) ** 1:38 
Total Score Time:  48:13

TAKE A GIANT STEP

25 Take a Giant Step – Main Title 3:46 
26 Spence I 3:57 
27 Spence II  1:01 
28 Ice Cream Parlor /  
Burlesque Girl 2:18 
29 Juke Box No. 1 2:04 
30 Juke Box No. 2 3:10 
31 Gram’s Death :55 
32 Take a Giant Step– Finale 2:35 
Total Score Time: 19:42

THE RABBIT TRAP
33 The Rabbit Trap – Main Title 1:10 
34 The Silent Treatment / The Next Morning 1:33 
35 Duncan Runs Away :51 
36 The T-Square 2:26 
37 Out of the Trap / Happy Ending 4:00 
Total Score Time: 10:00 

Total Disc Time: 78:00

+ material taken from “music and effects” element 
* vocal by Randy Sparks 
  ** vocal by Keely Smith

I knew Jack Marshall, feather of Frank Marshall (husband of Kathleen Kennedy) was responsible for Johnny Williams getting some of his early work in the industry, but hadn't realized until it was pointed out to me that Johnny actually plays piano on the Thunder Road score - AND that the new La-La Land release of the score contains an introductory note penned by Williams!

Samples and direct order: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/ThunderRoad.html

Other stores carrying it:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/34409/

https://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M11006/thunder-road/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11299/.f

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/5169-thunder-road-the-film-music-of-jack-marshall.html

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

How many then?

And you're planning to get this?

@Miguel Andrade or @TownerFan would know the number better than me, but I don't think it was even in the double digits.

And yes, I will get this.  I would have ordered it along with ET if I had known Johnny played on it before now!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

@Miguel Andrade or @TownerFan would know the number better than me, but I don't think it was even in the double digits.

I understand John Williams started his career as a young pianist working in Hollywood studios in the early 50's. That's why I assumed there must be many movies where he was hired to play the piano for the scores... 

I've heard he worked with Alfred Newman and Henry Mancini among many others.

In fact, wasn't there a CD of Johnny Williams playing jazz in the 50's? I don't have it, and I forgot the name of the CD.

Crap, should have read about that yesterday...

Actually, I was quite curious about this release, but never really thought Williams was associated with it.

As for the number of sessions Williams worked on, it's rather difficult to say. There are probably many we will never know about, namely the television ones. But I would say that surely under a 100, if you only count film/tv scoring sessions. Remember that he started around 1957 and within 5 years was already very busy scoring his own TV Shows and films.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I understand John Williams started his career as a young pianist working in Hollywood studios in the early 50's. That's why I assumed there must be many movies where he was hired to play the piano for the scores... 

I've heard he worked with Alfred Newman and Henry Mancini among many others.

In fact, wasn't there a CD of Johnny Williams playing jazz in the 50's? I don't have it, and I forgot the name of the CD.

Williams started in the late 50's only. In the early to mid 50's he was either in the army or in New York - where he met, among others, Vic Damone, playing on clubs, and whit whom would later record in the 60's for CBS.

There is a double disc from Freshsound Records of Williams recordings, both on the piano and conducting, dating from recordings from the late 50's and early 60's.

But beware, there was another jazz pianist, by the name of John (Thomas) Williams, active during the mid 50's, mainly on the East Coast. He was the one who played with Zoot Zimms and Stan Getz.

42 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As for the number of sessions Williams worked on, it's rather difficult to say. There are probably many we will never know about, namely the television ones. But I would say that surely under a 100, if you only count film/tv scoring sessions. 

And apparently Jay's planning to get them all! Right, @Jay:D

So this is a new entry eligible for the discography as I read...

I have to make some research now, is this score was previously released?

It seems to have been released for the first time in 2015 only.

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Robert-Mitchum-Jack-Marshall-Thunder-Road/release/7023221

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

That 2015 CD was an illegal bootleg; This is the first legal time on CD.

Bear Family Records, including a 108 page booklet... a bootleg? You are kidding me.

I am not!  I would link you to the FSM thread where MV from LLL said so, but their forum seems to be down at the moment

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As for the number of sessions Williams worked on, it's rather difficult to say. There are probably many we will never know about, namely the television ones. But I would say that surely under a 100, if you only count film/tv scoring sessions. Remember that he started around 1957 and within 5 years was already very busy scoring his own TV Shows and films.

I'm guessing it would be WELL below 100. My guess is in the 50s at the most. We have charted what, about 30-40 so far? There's still a lifetime worth of research into Williams' piano sessions for film, tv and studio albums.

I was not aware of Williams' involvement in THUNDER ROAD, however. Neat!

All I know is that To Kill a Mockingbird is the logical starting point for those interested in his time as a pianist on film score sessions because of its notability as one of the great film scores of all time and how prominent his piano is in the score itself.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am not!  I would link you to the FSM thread where MV from LLL said so, but their forum seems to be down at the moment

The 2015 release may be not 100 % legit according to the rights, but Bear Family remains a respected and important label, I'm not so quick to call their releases "bootlegs", this is very subjective!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All I know is that To Kill a Mockingbird is the logical starting point for those interested in his time as a pianist on film score sessions because of its notability as one of the great film scores of all time and how prominent his piano is in the score itself.

Wait. JW played the piano on the scoring session's for Mockingbird? I didn't know this.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Isn't it his piano on the original 1963 release?  I know it was prominently re-recorded a couple of times in the decades after.

Experts here made me remove the entry from my website, because it seems he doesn't play piano on the album.

But let's return to Thunder thing. ;-)

Just now, Bespin said:

Experts here made me remove the entry from my website, because it seems he doesn't play piano on the album.

Which means what? He only played it for the music featured in the movie?

Just now, Josh500 said:

At these  times, albums were pretty much all re-recordings... so, yes, a thing like that.

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The 2015 release may be not 100 % legit according to the rights, but Bear Family remains a respected and important label, I'm not so quick to call their releases "bootlegs", this is very subjective!

I never claimed that all their releases are bootlegs, Bespin.  Just that Thunder Road was.  To be more specific, it wasn't licensed properly.  This release is.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

That is correct. AFAIK, his playing is not heard on any of the soundtrack album recordings. But he plays wonderfully in the film itself -- very prominently too. You should watch the film, if you haven't already -- it's one of my alltime favourite films (and probably my favourite Bernstein score).

Thor and I agree.  Just watch the movie!

Just now, Josh500 said:

I've seen Mockingbird, once a long time ago. But I never paid much attention to the music 

I'm listening to this now... But this is NOT Williams playing, right

No, but this is

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never claimed that all their releases are bootlegs, Bespin.  Just that THunder Road was.

From a certain point of view, if John Williams was not credited for the 2015 release, I can understand that he and his entourage calls that release a "bootleg". We are talking about 1958 stuff... But I prefer for now, to show the 2015 release on my website.  And the mention "Previously unreleased original score" truly belongs to this release.

I'm sorry JW didn't make any money for this release, he just have to sue Bear Family Records ;)

He and his entourage call it a bootleg?  What in the bloody world are you talking about?

It's a bootleg because the label did not properly license the music from the rightsholders, that they released for sale.  End of story.  It has absolutely nothing to do with credits or anything like that.

John Williams or his "entourage" wouldn't have anything to do with licensing this score, Bespin.  He just wrote a note for the booklet out of respect for the composer who helped his career (and that composer's son who he's worked with many times)

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes and again, I'd quote MV's post about it here, but FSM's forum won't come up for me right now.

I think that normally, when LLL release a "previously unreleased original score", they wrote it in their marketing presentation because they are proud to say that they are the first to do it.  

In this case, there is a gray zone, so they don't mention it in their presentation. 

So because of that gray zone and because it's Bear family Records, I think I have to mention the 2015 release on my website.

Bootleg or not, this is a significant release and now it's documented. That's the important thing.

After that... honestly, the 3/4 of this forum will not give a shit about this new LLL release. Let's be honest. :P

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And wouldn't the other release have been either film rips or secondary sources?  LLL says this release is from the "only surviving music elements, located in the composer’s personal archive."

I'll put my hand in the fire that the LLL release has superior sound quality.