Has anybody seriously considered getting rid of their CDs?

Josh500

No, hear me out. 

I'm not talking about giving up your precious music collection, but just the physical CDs. The thing is, I have collected so many books, CDs, DVDs and whatnot in my apartment, I'm starting to be cramped for space. I don't feel like getting rid of my books since I don't like eBooks (I still prefer physical books), but that's not the case with music. I never listen to the CDs themselves anymore. In fact, the last time I actually put on a CD in a CD player might have been in a year that starts with 19--. And since I have already long ago ripped every single CD in lossless format, what's their use? Sure I'll keep the booklets, but why keep the cases and the CDs? They take up only unnecessary space. The music itself is safely on my computer and externally backed up as well. And yet, it's easier said than done. My heart aches at the thought of losing LLL's John Williams albums... 

But I cannot be the only one who has considered this! Well? 

Only throw the less important/prominent ones out, keep the big ones that mean more to you or look nice or you can can take them out any day and admire them and be shocked and grateful that they came out within your lifetime and came out great! It'd be folly to throw something like the HP set or even perhaps the Blue Box out, that beast became somewhat of a subcultural landmark icon!

1 minute ago, Thekthithm said:

Why not just sell them? Bit of a waste just chucking them in the bin.

Yes! Skin them normies born too late

4 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Why not just sell them? Bit of a waste just chucking them in the bin.

Well, I mean throwing away in the sense of "getting rid of them." I changed the title and OP. 

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Only throw the less important/prominent ones out, keep the big ones that mean more to you or look nice or you can can take them out any day and admire them and be shocked and grateful that they came out within your lifetime and came out great! It'd be folly to throw something like the HP set or even perhaps the Blue Box out, that beast became somewhat of a subcultural landmark icon!

Hmm yeah. 

Although I tend to think in extremes. Either keep them all, or get rid of them all! 😅 

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, never. But I do want to size it down a bit.

Don't these two sentences kinda contradict each other? 

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You just need a bigger apartment!

Yeah, eventually we'll move to a bigger place, I guess...

And that's another thing. When we do, I don't wanna carry so much stuff. :D

I don't care about the packaging or booklets and would love the extra space.  I have considered it, but until mankind invents a foolproof and failproof backup (hard drives fail), I would never.   I've had to rerip my music collection more than once due to improper backup on my part.

Married life does not let me buy many CDs so...I'm just getting the william expansions an new releases...giacchino I was getting everything but since he doing lately some films I don't have any interest in I may end up buying just the cool marvel ,Jurassic, Pixar scores from him...

I think I could get rid of the few double dips I have and Williams osts that have been expanded...but I would always try to get some money back from them as used cds, tough they are usually in pristine condition...

Just now, mstrox said:

I have considered it, but until mankind invents a foolproof and failproof backup 

What is foolproof and failproof, though? Nothing in this world is 100%. 

If a fire breaks out or my apartment gets flooded (God forbid, knock on wood), the backup will be destroyed, but so will the CDs! 

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Married life does not let me buy many CDs so...

Maybe your wife! 😅 

I live with my girlfriend (we're not married yet, but we're both open to the idea), and she doesn't care how many CDs I buy. But of course she has her own hobbies and indulgences (clothes and shoes). 😂 

2 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Those of you complaining about lacking space for CDs, you're obviously putting them somewhere, so what else are you going to put there instead, another table and vase?

Maybe I can unpack some of these other boxes of stuff from my storage - stuff that can't be condensed down to a hard drive that's the size of a book!

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

If a fire breaks out or my apartment gets flooded (God forbid, knock on wood), the backup will be destroyed, but so will the CDs! 

Nothing is, but I've had hard drives fail several times over the past 20 years, and I've never had a fire.  In the former cases, the CDs remained.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You'd probably be able to rip the CD after a flood.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Maybe I can unpack some of these other boxes of stuff from my storage - stuff that can't be condensed down to a hard drive that's the size of a book!

Ah, you collect boxes. A rare, but respectable hobby.

Just now, mstrox said:

Nothing is, but I've had hard drives fail several times over the past 20 years, 

How do they fail, though? All of a sudden, without any appreciable reason, it stops working? The data on it cannot be read anymore? 

Did you find out why it failed when it did? 

43 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Don't these two sentences kinda contradict each other? 

No, I assumed your topic was about ridding yourself of ALL CDs. That will obviously never happen. In fact, I'm thinking about hooking up my old Pioneer DVD/CD player to my stereo again, since the Blu-ray player is crappy at playing CDs. Just so that I can finally play my CDs again.

But I want to weed my collection down a bit. I'd probably let some 100 CDs go, and keep the remaining 900.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Power surge... A bad fall...

There are mechanical parts inside them that can break

That never happened to me, thank God, but that's another thing to worry... 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

But I want to weed my collection down a bit. I'd probably let some 100 CDs go, and keep the remaining 900.

Hmmm... 

That's a bit like deleting all the unnecessary stuff (pics, videos, apps) on your smartphone when your storage space starts running out... 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's a relatively cheap player. Doesn't have the playback abilities of my HiFi Pioneer DVD/CD player. 

"playback abilities"?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The quality of audio playback is mostly about how expensive the DAC is.

I agree with that, but Thor has tinnitis, and probably wouldn't notice any difference between DACs

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

How do they fail, though? All of a sudden, without any appreciable reason, it stops working? The data on it cannot be read anymore? 

Did you find out why it failed when it did? 

It's always suddenly, at least for me.  A quick google shows that the expected life of an external hard drive is 3-5 years.

You can always attempt data recovery from your hard drive, although I've never done that without some files also being corrupted.

The safest back-up plan at this point is to ensure that everything is stored in at least 2 hard drives at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I agree with that, but Thor has tinnitis, and probably wouldn't notice any difference between DACs

That depends on the quality of the tinnitus.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

The safest back-up plan at this point is to ensure that everything is stored in at least 2 hard drives at the same time.

And in the cloud.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

What, Jay, are you saying there's no difference between a cheap Blu-ray player and an expensive HiFi CD player? Even my tinnitus-affected ears can hear the difference!

No, I wasn't saying that, I asked you what you meant when you said "playback abilities"

As JS pointed out the DAC between your particular BD player and your particular CD player could be very different from one another, but there are, of course, also BD players with excellent DACs too (and also CD players with shit DACs)

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, I wasn't saying that, I asked you what you meant when you said "playback abilities"

It can't play CDs because there's already a DVD in the player.

1 minute ago, Thekthithm said:

It's deep nerve damage, so I guess it's for the long haul.

It's the milage.