Best Track from the "Revenge of the Sith"

Henry B

What is your favorite track from the "Revenge of the Sith" Soundtrack?  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1. Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith
    • 2. Anakin's Dream
    • 3. Battle of the Heroes
    • 4. Anakin's Betrayal
    • 5. General Grievous
    • 6. Palpatine's Teachings
    • 7. Grievous and the Droids
    • 8. Padmé's Ruminations
    • 9. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan
    • 10. Anakin's Dark Deeds
    • 11. Enter Lord Vader
    • 12. The Immolation Scene
    • 13. Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious
    • 14. The Birth of the Twins and Padmé's Destiny
    • 15. A New Hope and End Credits

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I choose "Anakin's Dark Deeds" One of the most emotional Star Wars cues. Honourable mention goes to "General Grievous" "Anakin's Betrayal" and "Battle of the Heroes

-Erik-

Anakin's Dark Deeds. The most emotional track on the album. Followed very cloesly by A New Hope and End Credits.

Honorable mention:

-Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith

-Anakin's Dream

-Battle of the Heros

-Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

-Enter Lord Vader

-Greivous Speaks to Lord Sidious

~Sturgis

I chose Battle of the Heroes. I'm not sure what's next. It's either ST & TRToS, General grievous or Anakin's Dark Deeds.

I feel sorry for the guys here who don't much like this album. I'm having a ball with it. It's most definitely 5-stars'-worth material. So I can't really choose a favourite, but for the sakes of voicing my opinion, I chose "Anakin's Betrayal."

But I love the other 3 "elegiac tracks," and adore "Battle of the Heroes" -- though that took a while to sink in -- and of course the 'scored' version of the theme, "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan." The action material is all way above par, at least AS good as Prisoner of Azkaban's. That pretty much leaves the final two tracks and, while there were a couple of missed thematic opportunities, I enjoy them for what has been included nonetheless, and also the two "dull" tracks, "Teachings" and "Ruminations." Together, they certainly contain at least 3 minutes of repetitive non-JWisms, but half of it's very decent, and all in the name of dark rumbly atmosphere which is most suitable for the scenes I presume.

That pretty much leaves the final two tracks and, while there were a couple of missed thematic opportunities, I enjoy them for what has been included nonetheless,

Well, if you're wondering about Birth of the Twins, Luke's Theme, the Force Theme, etc. did play, but they were edited out, judging by the choral session report.

The action material is all way above par, at least AS good as Prisoner of Azkaban's.

It's good, but "Revenge of the Sith" and "Grievous and the Droids" are not nearly as great as "The Whomping Willow" and "Quidditch, Third Year" IMHO.

~Sturgis

My vote was given to Anakin's Betrayal. The emotion is too captivating to explain, and it's all mixed with the darkness of Anakin's thoughts. My next pick would definitely have been Anakin's Dark Deeds, which I simply didn't pick because it's always a little hard to listen to just because you have to turn the volume up to hear the beginning of the track and then slam it down before the choir breaks the sound barrier. though that is one of the cooler parts in the history of film music. :)

other honorable mentions: Revenge of the Sith (slams us RIGHT back into star wars! Love the Force Theme!)

Anakin's Dream

Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan

Argh, the website keeps making me log in and log in and log in so if I forget to copy my reply before I "post" I usually lose whatever I had to say.

Which was that there are 6 more tracks' worth of space to impress on POA. Which it luckily did, though "Monster Books" was boring, same with many non-action cues like "Apparition," some of "Portrait Gallery" etc.

Hopefully the (two?) bonus tracks will tie up any loose thematic ends, if not the full film score itself on May 19.

Which was that there are 6 more tracks' worth of space to impress on POA. Which it luckily did, though "Monster Books" was boring, same with many non-action cues like "Apparition," some of "Portrait Gallery" etc.

Almost all JW c.d.'s have boring underscore cues,some more than others.So RotS is not different,except that my expectations were higher.I was expecting a ESB,or E.T.,where NONE of the tracks are boring.

K.M.

I'm finding that I'm playing ROTS infinitely more than TPM and AOTC. I cannot wait until the real CD is released. The MP3s are okay but I cannot wait to hear Immolation or Anakin's Betrayal in full fledged audio awesomeness.

ROTS is growing more and more on me, so it's not easy to pick just one favourite track. By the way, I choose "Anakin's Betrayal" and "General Grievous". These are two stand-out, amazing pieces that shows why Johnny is still the best.

Honorable mentions to "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan", "The Immolation Scene" and "Anakin's Dark Deeds".

The high-pitched string melody at 1:15 in Anakin's Dream is a retrograde of Anakin's Theme (especially the B-part of that theme, at 1:58). It's note-for-note, except one pitch has been lowered a semitone so it sounds more minor and scary.

EDIT: Oh and I spose the gorgeous "theme" halfway through Anakin's Dark Deeds is actually Anakin's Theme as well, with a bit of Battle of the Heroes thrown into it. And more elegiac and minor. It's exactly what you'd come up with if you tried to solemnify that part of Anakin's Theme. But it sacrifices recognition.

EDIT 2: Well I spose most of Anakin's Dream is a variation of some sort on Anakin's Theme, let alone the usage and range of strings, and the subtle hint of "Vader's Theme" at 2:08-9.

EDIT 3: Hear the retrograde again at 2:59 in the lower strings. And I'm pretty sure it's heard in the normal order at 4:21.

Anakin's Betrayal followed by Anakin's Dark Deeds.

IMHO the dramatic material is far superior to the action one in this album (which doesn't mean action cues are bad).

I also like Battle of the Heroes, and I can't wait how long it is used in film.

The high-pitched string melody at 1:15 in Anakin's Dream is a retrograde of Anakin's Theme (especially the B-part of that theme, at 1:58). It's note-for-note, except one pitch has been lowered a semitone so it sounds more minor and scary.

Interesting! And there's also a hint to "Across the Stars" theme (the lower, murmuring section of the cellos and violas) at 1:44.

It's curious that Williams chose to go so subliminal and subdued in the musical reference to the themes and motifs (a characteristic of the all three prequel scores).

If I could vote for just the "A New Hope" finale without the End Credits I would. It's so beautiful it almost hurts. As it is my vote is for Battle of the Heroes, very narrowly over several others. I've found stuff to like in every track, and I can't wait to chop this thing up and get it in film order.

The action material is all way above par, at least AS good as Prisoner of Azkaban's.

It's good, but "Revenge of the Sith" and "Grievous and the Droids" are not nearly as great as "The Whomping Willow" and "Quidditch, Third Year" IMHO.

~Sturgis

I'm not sure yet, but I think I like RoTS's action music more. Actually, RoTS finaly unlocked the PoA score for me. I finaly figured out how to really listen to it, and now I am taking giant leaps in loving that score every time I listen to it. I finally fully got the action music, so much so, that going back to AoTC, I liked it so much, I listened to it several times within the last couple of days, and I now like that score!!!

I suspect I like PoA's action stuff a little more in a way, but that's because of me being more familiar with it. Hearing the RoTS score in the movie will probably cement it in my mind.

"Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith" has grwon on me a lot. At first I thought it to be rather boring, but now I really enjoy it. Like others have said, it's the most old-school Star Wars music on the soundtrack.

~Sturgis

Just like you, Sturgis, the more I hear this score, the more I appreciate it.

My favourites are "Anakin's Dream" (the rendition of the Across the Stars is heartbreaking), "Battle of the Heroes" and I must admit I kinda like "Padmé's Ruminations" not especially for Moaning Woma, but because, as Clemmensen also said in his review, of the deep emotion that runs in it ... You really hear Padmé breaking down ... Wonderfully sad ...

My three favorites are Revenge of The Sith, BotH and Anakin´s Dark Deeds. I´m going to vote for Anakin´s Dark Deeds, because altough I really like BotH I would like that this concert track would be longer and not with that very irregular estructure (i specially don´t like the final part)

I'll vote for Anakin's Betrayal. There's a depth of feeling in that one that makes it stand out for me. BotH is up there also - very compelling music.

- Adam

I voted for Anakin's Betrayal. Strongset cue on the album IMO. If Hayden Christensen is as dull as he was in AOTC then I'm sure John's music alone should provide enough emotion and depth to the scene.

General Grievous

An interesting choice... You once said "Zam the Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant" doesn't sound like Star Wars. Given the similarity between these two tracks...

I've always maintained that while "Chase Through Coruscant" does not sound in anyway like Star Wars music, it is still a good action track. It's just in the wrong movie. "Grievous" is even better than the "Coruscant" cue.

Neil