Beethoven Symphonies free for Download....

Greg1138

For anyone that wants them but hasn't got them, or has always wondered what the 3rd sounds like, or even if you just fancy adding them to your collection, the BBC (as part of their Beethoven celebrations) are providing free downloads of each symphony - all performed by the BBC Phil conducted by Gianandrea Noseda.

Thought this was cool! I have them already, but the idea of making ANY music available in this way appeals....

Download page is here....it is a staggered schedule, and at the moment only the first 5 are available, with the others due to be added as they are performed and recorded over the next couple of weeks.....

...only slight quibble is the quality - 128Kbs mp3's are OK, but alot of the depth is missing - however a great introduction (if any is needed) anyway.....and the performances are top notch....

Greg - who had to copy and paste the name "Gianandrea Noseda".

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great find Greg! I had all of them on CD, but have seemed to have lost them over the course of college, marriage, and life.

Beethoven Symphonies free for Download....

Dont we have to say "Hello" first and establish ourselves as long term members before downloading, Greg? (kidding with you). Have you been watching the Beethoven program on BBC2? If so, then do you agree that the guy playing him is doing a great job. And, Charles Hazlewoods "dissection" on BBC4 afterwards is great :music:

ew. the conductor ew... only good cycle IMO is the karajan one. bernstein is okay, but the karajan is my defining one.

Actually Beethoven's own tempo markings indicate that the opening movement of the 5th is to be played that fast. It is largely due to the luxuriant romantic performances of the mid to late 19th century that have lead to the darker, slower performance we are used to. Having said that there are arguments against taking Beethoven's tempo markings literally, after all metronomes were only invented during Beethoven's lifetime and they weren't very reliable at first. In fact Beethoven was one of the first composers to use metronome markings in his scores. For more info on this debate I can recommend Benjamin Zander's CD of Beethoven 5 and 7. It comes with a bonus CD of Zander discussing the tempo markings etc. You may not like the tempi as such, but the bonus disk is extremely interesting and well worth the price of the CD.

One of the best versions of Beethoven's 5 & 7 Symphonies (that I've heard anyway) is conducted by Carlos Kleiber with the Wiener Philarmoniker (now available on the DG label-remastered)

A truely amazing recording. HIGHLY recommended.

Jamesyboy - going to check out the BBC site! :music:

One of the best versions of Beethoven's 5 & 7 Symphonies (that I've heard anyway) is conducted by Carlos Kleiber with the Wiener Philarmoniker (now available on the DG label-remastered)

A truely amazing recording.  HIGHLY recommended.

That's a stunning one indeed. The Karajans are very good as well (the 60s ones at least - don't know the others). And I have to get my hands on the ultra slow 7th from Bernstein's final concert someday.

Marian - :music:

A truely amazing recording.  HIGHLY recommended.

Jamesyboy - going to check out the BBC site! :music:

It's also on SA-CD, and is wonderful.

Neil - collecting the 60s Karajan recordings on SA-CD

Have you been watching the Beethoven program on BBC2?

Nope - no time to see it - redecorating as we are selling on and moving out....off to South Wales soon...haven't seen this show but I've heard good talk about it....

Greg - who likes the Rattle 5-Disc set of the symphonies more than any others mentioned here.....but Bernstein's interpretation, from a conductor's point of view, was masterful....

Anyone listened to John Eliot Gardiner's cycle with the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique (period instrument ensemble)? it's great and those instruments sound so vital - esp. the strings.

When something usually says "on period instruments," it means "please excuse the foul sounds and poor intonation." Not in this case; they absolutely rock!!

The set also comes with commentary from the conductor on the works (tempi too) and the composer, in three languages.

Yes I have Gardiner's set (the best I my opinion), and Barenboim's 9th. David Zinman's complete Beethoven symphonies are exemplary.

When something usually says "on period instruments," it means "please excuse the foul sounds and poor intonation."  

LOL True, to an extent. Although some pieces are enriched on period instruments. My first recording of Mozart's 38th Symphony was one made with period instruments. Nowadays i also have one with later ones. Both recordings have their plus and minus points, and i often switch back and forth to get those elements from the different performances.

I have a recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos on period instruments that sounds fabulous. I'm pretty sure it's by the Boston Baroque/Pearlman, but I'm not 100% positive.

Gardiner's Mozart I've heard so far is excellent... his Requiem is the best I've heard (I think I have 6 different ones so far). Also, Rene Jacob's Nozze di Figaro recording on period instruments, which recently won a Grammy (or even two, I think) is stunning.

Marian - :P

:) Batman Forever (Elliot Goldenthal)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who latched onto these downloads, Symphony number 6 is now available from the original link, with 7, 8 and 9 to follow in the next couple of days. 1 - 5 are no longer available for download.

Greg - taking a break from painting ceilings.....

The first minute of the 9th Symphony is the finest orchestral music Beethoven ever wrote.

So you think Beethoven is a sprinter, not a long distance runner? I think the last 15 minutes of the 9th is some of the most purile and embarassing music ever written. I even get embarassed if I'm listening to it by myself! Trouble is you have to listen to it for the first 50 minutes of the symphony to have any kind of resolution. The 7th symphony on the other hand is phenomenal from start to finish.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed the downloads of the 8th and 9th :cry:

Would anyone be willing to send them to me? If so please PM me and I'll give you my g-mail address.

8O

By the way...is it possible to change your password on this forum?

By the way...is it possible to change your password on this forum?

yes, it is possible to change your password on this forum.

just go to:

1.http://www.jwfan.net/user.php log in if you are not log in.

2. click on "Change your info"

3. And you should be able to change ur password from there.