Hitchcock by Danny Elfman (OST by Sony Classical December 4th)

KK

Hitchcock-movie-soundtrack.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Logos
2. Theme from “Hitchcock”
3. The Premiere
4. Paramount / Out the Gate
5. Mommy Dearest
6. In Bed
7. Impulses
8. The Censor
9. The Swim
10. Peeping
11. Sacrifices
12. Walk With Hitch
13. Celery
14. Telephone
15. Suspicion
16. Explosion
17. Selling Psycho
18. Fantasy Smashed
19. The Sand
20. It’s A Wrap
21. Busted
22. Saving The House
23. Finally
24. Home At Last
25. End Credit#1
26. End Credit#2
27. Funeral March for a Marionette

Source: http://soundtrack-movie.com/hitchcock/

Edit this any way you like Jason.

Mediocre is a rather strong word isn't it?. While they may not add much to his career, both Frankenweenie and Dark Shadows were somewhat enjoyable and entertaining scores (the former being more well-rounded).

Where is Hitch? We need to know what mother thinks of this.

Yeah! Where is the old rascal!???

I have high hopes for the movie, and somehow also have high hopes for the score too. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Elfman said "the emotional side" of Hitchcock's story attracted him to Gervasi's picture. He had no intention of mimicking Herrmann, lest it sound like parody. As he rightly pointed out, John Williams' "Jaws" theme and Herrmann's "Psycho" shower scene music are perhaps the two most recognized bits of instrumental sound from any two movies ever.

Link.

I enjoyed Frankwenweenie's score during the film, even though I too cannot identify a clear theme, or at least, it's not as immediately iconic or hummable out of the cinema like Batman or Pee-Wee or Spider-Man.

I think the Hitchcock score sound really great, could be Elfman's best in a long while! I love the variety present in the samples

I just listened to the samples presented here:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/fyc/film/hitchcock/soundtrack/index.html

Nothing new or original, but surely very well crafted and it's good music!

My objection to Elfman's music is that usually his film scores haven't got a specific character for the movie.

E.g. these samples here could easily fit in a Batman movie, or in Corpse Bride, or in any other Tim Burton film.

Of course, I assume, this is what they asked of him..

That's why I love so much Sommersby. It's completely different. It doesn't remind of Elfman.

I enjoyed Frankwenweenie's score during the film, even though I too cannot identify a clear theme, or at least, it's not as immediately iconic or hummable out of the cinema like Batman or Pee-Wee or Spider-Man.

Frankenweenie had three clear themes/motifs. A playful and friendly theme for Sparky and a somber theme for Victor (very Scissorhands-esque), which is basically his emotional theme. Both themes/motifs can be heard in the "main title" and throughout the album. The third theme/motif is the one some claim sounds like his Batman theme. It's a basically the theme for bringing back the dead.

My objection to Elfman's music is that usually his film scores haven't got a specific character for the movie.

E.g. these samples here could easily fit in a Batman movie, or in Corpse Bride, or in any other Tim Burton film.

Of course, I assume, this is what they asked of him..

I disagree. I think Elfman has various faces to his career. Sure there are scores like Frankenweenie that suffer from what you speak of (probably because he's asked for that sound), but he's infused a distinct personality for many of his works. The Wolfman is different from Alice in Wonderland. Sleepy Hollow is different from Edward Scissorhands. Spiderman is different from Batman. And so on.

Actually, I may be wrong on this, but the first time I heard Frankenweenie something clicked.. One of the themes to the score was nearly a note for note re do from Edward Scissorhands. Maybe I was imagining things. Hopefully elfman isn't becoming James Horner now

IN other news, LOL, I'm looking forward to the score for Hitchcock. Given Elfman's interest in Herrmann's score ( not to mention obvious inspiration of his Psycho score in RED DRAGON ), he's a natural fit. Not that he'd emulate Herrmann but writing a score involving Hitch and Herrmann at their creative brilliance just seems like the ideal project for him. Just my two cents

Not that he'd emulate Herrmann but writing a score involving Hitch and Herrmann at their creative brilliance just seems like the ideal project for him.

Too bad Herrmann is barely in the movie at all.

Not that he'd emulate Herrmann but writing a score involving Hitch and Herrmann at their creative brilliance just seems like the ideal project for him.

Too bad Herrmann is barely in the movie at all.

hmm. I withdraw my statement ... sounded good at the time. = )

Sounds better than the last four film works I've heard from him. Much better. A buy.

Karol

You didn't like Real Steel? I thought he did a superb job with that score.

I said "last four score I've heard".

Sounds better than the last four film works I've heard from him. Much better. A buy.

Karol

You didn't like Real Steel? I thought he did a superb job with that score.

Nah, gave it one listen and wasn't impressed.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've spent so much money in the past few weeks (and that's not it yet), I have to give it a temporary miss. The film is coming out here in a couple of months so I might as well wait til then.

But what I heard doesn't sound bad at all.

Karol

• 2 months later...

Wow, I feel like I've discussed this score on this board a lot! I think it's a great score, one of Elfman's best in a while. The CD is really short, which is actually good for this score. It explores a bunch of ideas and emotions, then is over before you realize it. But it's fun, inspired music!