Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Does anyone else think the rising Erebor theme would make a great melody for a song?

Hopefully Neil Finn does!

Oh God.

Ya-yaa-ya-yaa-ya-yaa!

Keep Russian stylings away from Lake Town I say! No balalaikas! It could be only worse if there were bouzoukis in the score! There is no indication they are portrayed as anything even remotely Russian and they are actually related to Rohirrim as both are part of the larger group of Northmen.

What culture would you like them to resemble?

We have actually very little info on the Lake Town and the culture of that people and how PJ is going to portray them in the films. A few glimpses of Lake Town itself and the Master, Bard and Master's lackey.

I think a mix of Norse and Central European elements would be a good combination. Tolkien himself thought them belonging to the same cultural group as men of the Dale, Rohirrim's ancestors and the Woodmen of Mirkwood. Naturally all of them had their own cultural traits but I would like to see some common elements with Rohan, like rich woodcarving motifs in the buildings etc.

Dale looks somewhat curiously South European.

Why bother if Jackson decides to rerecord every available statement of Rohan's theme anyway?

It will be super kewl!

As long at he does it in a Fado or Flamenco style, I'm OK with it.

Ay caramba!

I picture Bilbo laying under the Lonely Mountain, pipe smoking with a sombrero, opening his eyes slightly, greeting Gandalf with a cool look; "you're late!" *cue Bilbo's theme on ukulele*

Sigh Mikko!

Madre de Dios Stefan!

I picture Bilbo laying under the Lonely Mountain, pipe smoking with a sombrero, opening his eyes slightly, greeting Gandalf with a cool look; "you're late!" *cue Bilbo's theme on ukulele*

I would prefer an out of tune trumpet!

I prefer dubstep, you know, to fit the youthful spirit of the younger Bilbo ;)

Yes Shore could pit the Shire Dubstep and Mordor Dubstep against each other in this score.

I've never seen ukeleles being played in mexican folk music.

arent they a hawaiian thing?

Yeah. That's true. Perhaps Georg meant guitarrón mexicano or maybe he was going for an audiovisual dissonance. ;)

It's a total circus here before December! And probably after as well. All the moaning about the film alternates and tracking. ;)

A Lord of the Rings highlight reel, yay!

Put them in a micro and you have got a re-heated delight for the whole family!

Let's just assume that Shore nipped out for a coffee break every time one of these photos was taken.

That's a lot of coffee!

Well maybe a mixture of coffee and toilet breaks. Let's put it down to growing incontinency.

I really wonder at the direction this discussion has once again taken but hey carry on. Let's see where this conspiracy theory takes us. :P

Hello! Don't know how I've missed this thread as I live and breathe Shore's Middle-earth music daily.

Do I have to scroll through this entire thread to find out what people are thinking about the score not being performed by the London Philharmonic? Everyone is completely freaking out about Shore not doing all of the orchestrating and conducting but why is no one discussing this? To me this is a much bigger issue. Especially considering that in every LOTR documentary out there he makes it a huge point to emphasize the London Philharmonic having the perfect Middle-earth sound.